PDA

View Full Version : why do so many people hate freedom?

garrettwombat
06-18-2008, 10:54 PM
i thought freedom was popular,freedom sells itself, and once liberty takes root it speards like, something....

we are in a huge mess, this country.

no one cares or everyone disagrees with me.

iv noticed that when, you disagree with someone but dont offer facts they will continue to be nice to you... but once you start throwing in history and facts they get into this whole defense mode almost like they are programed to do so, and they would rather blow up on you than talk with you in a civilized way...

so my question is, how the hell are we going to do this?

from now on im just converting really young kids before they get brainwashed... younger kids are really easy to convert too, i say our whole plan just revolves around informing children of freedom so when they are older it will happen...
any kid iv ever spoke to about freedom automatically loves the idea, especially when i bash the government and make them feel like they are smarter than everyone else... yes this is my plan.

Black Dude
06-18-2008, 10:59 PM
It's gonna have to be the internet generation that educates people. There is no way to successfully get the message out besides with the internet.

Akus
06-18-2008, 11:06 PM
i thought freedom was popular,freedom sells itself, and once liberty takes root it speards like, something....

iv noticed that when, you disagree with someone but dont offer facts they will continue to be nice to you... but once you start throwing in history and facts they get into this whole defense mode almost like they are programed to do so, and they would rather blow up on you than talk with you in a civilized way...

from now on im just converting really young kids before they get brainwashed... younger kids are really easy to convert too, i say our whole plan just revolves around informing children of freedom so when they are older it will happen...
any kid iv ever spoke to about freedom automatically loves the idea, especially when i bash the government and make them feel like they are smarter than everyone else... yes this is my plan.
this is what i was saying for ever and a day.
people are stupid and this is about electing a guy with a power to do things, not some movement.

If that was not the case, Libertarian party would have won on a 4th year of its existance, at worst on the 8th.

TER
06-18-2008, 11:06 PM
Scared people would sacrifice their own freedom in order to suppress the freedoms of others.

Thor
06-18-2008, 11:11 PM
A lot of people fear personal responsibility. They are grown children wanting a parent figure to give orders, direction, guidance, security, etc... And they don't want any other kids breaking the rules and doing things out on their own. It makes them look even more immature and scared, so they want everyone to obey the rules...

pinkmandy
06-18-2008, 11:14 PM
Because they are lazy. Physically and mentally. Edited to say many are this way...not sure about the rest.

PlzPeopleWakeUp
06-18-2008, 11:17 PM
nt

pacelli
06-19-2008, 01:48 AM

Yes, the reason that people go into defense mode is because when you throw facts and history into the discussion, they reflexively think you are trying to prove that they are stupid. And that reflex prompts an emotional reflex. By that point, there's no use in continuing the discussion, because the logic area of their brain is shut off. The same thing would happen if someone were to try to convince me to vote for McShame or Obomb-us by citing their records. I'd be laughing so hard that I wouldn't have time to think.

Look, freedom IS popular, freedom DOES sell itself. I agree with you. But most people in this country have divorced themselves from MENTAL freedom. We're now several generations deep into it. The mainstream consciousness is always a few years behind in the news. I spoke with a man at the gas station yesterday who believed that gas prices were high because all of our ships are busy protecting the US from the Iranians. I didn't bother getting into further conversation with him. Do you think he would have followed me logically if I started talking about the devaluation of our dollar? I just chuckled and told him that I wished they'd send a ship home every once in awhile to keep the pumps full.

Sometimes a little comment, said in jest, plants a bigger seed than a long discussion. Here's an example. I was in a Barnes & Noble store years ago buying The 9/11 Commission Report when it was released (controversial topic I know, stick with me). Looking at my book at the check-out, the very elderly clerk jokingly said to me, "You know, that book isn't worth the paper it is printed on!" It was a formative experience for me. That single comment led me to read it with skepticism rather than blind belief. I kept saying to myself, "Why isn't it worth the paper it is printed on?"

He didn't try to tell me about false WMD intelligence or anything like that. He just made a joke that stuck with me.

That can certainly be a part of it, I guess that is why Ron wants to have a homeschooling aspect to the CFL. Along the same line though is that anyone you talk to wants to feel like they are smarter than everyone else. So let them talk, agree and nod your head and smile when they say something even remotely connected to freedom.

You attract more flies with honey than with vinegar :)

Paulitical Correctness
06-19-2008, 02:31 AM
People fear and hate what they do not understand. If you try and educate someone about something that goes against everything they know, they're going to get defensive. I hate to go there because it'll possibly ignite an off-topic debate, but it's the same way with the majority of religious lunatics I've come across. :rolleyes:

Truth Warrior
06-19-2008, 05:14 AM
Because individual responsibility and personal accountability are very heavy burdens to carry for MOST of the people. It's much easier and cowardly to merely anonymously hide out and get lost in the group think FLOCK! :rolleyes:

pacelli
06-19-2008, 06:50 AM
Because individual responsibility and personal accountability are very heavy burdens to carry for MOST of the people. It's much easier and cowardly to merely anonymously hide out and get lost in the group think FLOCK! :rolleyes:

I hate to inject David Icke into the discussion, but I'm going to do it anyway.

In this clip, David talks about the sheep mentality. I promise, in this clip there are no references to reptiles. But definitely worth a watch, I think he sums it up quite well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbPDqIuR9Ak

And no, it is not a rick-roll.

MsDoodahs
06-19-2008, 06:53 AM
Scared people would sacrifice their own freedom in order to suppress the freedoms of others.

I tend to think this is the reason so many dislike freedom.

They fear what OTHERS would do with THEIR freedom.

:)

Truth Warrior
06-19-2008, 06:54 AM
I hate to inject David Icke into the discussion, but I'm going to do it anyway.

In this clip, David talks about the sheep mentality. I promise, in this clip there are no references to reptiles. But definitely worth a watch, I think he sums it up quite well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbPDqIuR9Ak

And no, it is not a rick-roll.
I've read some of David's stuff too. ;) Some I agree with, some I don't. :rolleyes:

Thanks! :)

micahnelson
06-19-2008, 06:55 AM

This.

Anti Federalist
06-19-2008, 06:56 AM
I tend to think this is the reason so many dislike freedom.

They project their own wickedness and corruption onto others.

Want to make progress "waking people up"?

Make sure to concentrate on the "unaffiliated", those who have no partisan baggage. That way, you're not coming off as goring their ox, just explaining what they knew in the heart all along, that something is seriously wrong.

qh4dotcom
06-19-2008, 06:57 AM

Sorry, there's nothing you can do...people need to start to feel the consequences of their actions and beliefs....that's the only thing that can change them.

And you are right about the kids.

wgadget
06-19-2008, 06:59 AM
Because some people like SECURITY more....At least, what they THINK is security...In other words, they want Big Brother to take care of them, so they don't have to.

micahnelson
06-19-2008, 07:00 AM
Lets make sure we replace Statism with responsibility in the kids minds.

Freedom without responsibility or restraint is chaos, and will lead to a loss of freedom.

Truth Warrior
06-19-2008, 07:03 AM
Sorry, there's nothing you can do...people need to start to feel the consequences of their actions and beliefs....that's the only thing that can change them.

And you are right about the kids.

"The ultimate consequence of protecting men from the results of their own folly is to fill the world with fools."

;)

Charles Wilson
06-19-2008, 07:14 AM
Because some people like SECURITY more....At least, what they THINK is security...In other words, they want Big Brother to take care of them, so they don't have to.

You make an excellent point. Many of the flood victims today in the midwest are experiencing a taste of "big brother". Home and business owners are not allowed to enter their property until it has been officially inspected by the "authorities".

They are not allowed to take responsibility for themselves. Unfortunately they have no idea what those authority figures are doing once they break into the various buildings (knocking in doors to get access). What ever happened to protection against "illegal search and siezure"? Are the people more secure by having the authorities take care of them? I do not think so......

DriftWood
06-19-2008, 07:46 AM
Because they are lazy, and jealous of the people who are not.

Either that or they got Britney's "gimme more" stuck on repeat.

Cheers

mconder
06-19-2008, 09:02 AM
Fear, selfishness & ignorance...what else?