PDA

View Full Version : People have forgotten what "civil rights" mean

AmericaFyeah92
06-18-2008, 07:16 PM
I finally decided it might be worth it to check out Obama's website. On the "issues" section, i went to "civil liberties." What followed was a list of racial problems we need to solve, with no mention of the PATRIOT act, domestic surveillance, bearing arms, etc.

Ever since the "civil rights movement" led by Dr. King (who i hold in the highest regard), people have forgotten what civil liberties are supposed to be. Now, "civil liberties" just means government-enforced "equality" for all racial/sexual/religious groups, rather than the individual rights we are all supposed to be born with and are guaranteed by the constitution.

Any thoughts on how to reclaim the phrase "civil liberties," and take it out of the hands of people who benefit from the race card?

SeanEdwards
06-18-2008, 07:53 PM
I finally decided it might be worth it to check out Obama's website. On the "issues" section, i went to "civil liberties." What followed was a list of racial problems we need to solve, with no mention of the PATRIOT act, domestic surveillance, bearing arms, etc.

Ever since the "civil rights movement" led by Dr. King (who i hold in the highest regard), people have forgotten what civil liberties are supposed to be. Now, "civil liberties" just means government-enforced "equality" for all racial/sexual/religious groups, rather than the individual rights we are all supposed to be born with and are guaranteed by the constitution.

Any thoughts on how to reclaim the phrase "civil liberties," and take it out of the hands of people who benefit from the race card?

Personally I'm partial to slapping stupid people in the face until they learn, or at least shut the fuck up. I'm not sure how that can work on a national level though.

pinkmandy
06-18-2008, 07:56 PM
I don't know but that's the mentality of what we're up against. People can't be trusted with too much freedom, govt knows best, and some people deserve special rights bestowed by the all powerful, wise govt. It's mind boggling that so many people think this way and debating them is almost impossible. I do much better debating neocons than this mindset. In a serious discussion you can normally reason with a neocon and while they may not agree w/you right away they tend to come around eventually if you have their ears. Progressives? No idea. It's all based on what they feel is right it seems...

AmericaFyeah92
06-18-2008, 11:28 PM
bump

SeanEdwards
06-18-2008, 11:31 PM
What I like best are the progressive gun-grabbers that hate and loathe gun owners so much that it seems like they want to kill anyone who owns a gun. Of course, they never recognize the irony.

revolutionary8
06-18-2008, 11:34 PM
I finally decided it might be worth it to check out Obama's website.

Have you lost your mind? :p
He is everywhere, why subject yourself to that type of punishment?
It is too depressing for me these days, we need people there, just NOT IT is all I can say. I would lose my shit in a second or (number) two (not three) if I am lucky. lol.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
06-19-2008, 02:44 AM

At one time the civil rights movement was a positive event in that it created legal measures which led America back from tyranny towards its Constitutional government. As is typical, these legal measures age to be used as poisonous legal precedents later on against the very same people they were designed to help.
While true American Movements create legal measures to bring the people back towards the Civil Purpose in the Constitution, false movements dig up old legal measures from past obsolete movements. Both the Clinton and Bush administrations were examples of false movements with the liberal Clinton's digging up old civil rights measures and the conservative Bush Jr. digging up measures from the Reagan years as well as measures from his very own fathers administration.

Anti Federalist
06-19-2008, 07:44 AM
By never using the term "civil" liberties.

There is no such thing.

There is just liberty.

Kade
06-19-2008, 08:38 AM

I agree with you, although I imagine that won't be taken too lightly.

Ozwest
06-19-2008, 08:44 AM

There is no such thing.

There is just liberty.

Slice and dice.

Civil libertarians are your last line of defense.

Non-violent.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
06-19-2008, 03:07 PM

There is no such thing.

There is just liberty.

Could you please explain?

Anti Federalist
06-19-2008, 07:56 PM
Could you please explain?

Sure.

Civil liberties imply the liberties afforded to people, in what newspeak calls, "civil society".

I reject the notion of two societies, one "civil" and the other, well, what, governmental, military ... both?

Therefore I reject the notion of "civil" liberties.

There is just liberty or not.

Kade
06-20-2008, 08:55 AM
Sure.

Civil liberties imply the liberties afforded to people, in what newspeak calls, "civil society".

I reject the notion of two societies, one "civil" and the other, well, what, governmental, military ... both?

Therefore I reject the notion of "civil" liberties.

There is just liberty or not.

What a bunch of trash wordplay... talk about newspeak... lol

AmericaFyeah92
06-20-2008, 02:27 PM
I agree with you, although I imagine that won't be taken too lightly.

i know, because it is now only associated with race issues rather than the constitution, so the race-baiters have a media monopoly on the phrase

HOLLYWOOD
06-20-2008, 02:42 PM

"GOVERNMENT-ENFORCED" there's the magic words!

Civil Liberties? The founding fathers put the laws and liberties in writing and to abide by, because they knew the abuses of government and wealth. The Land of Laws were and ARE to protect the PEOPLE from the ABUSES of GOVERNMENT.

Government has been ENFORCING to protect Government from the PEOPLE for the past 150 years...

Raise your Right Hand... Do You Swear to Uphold and DEFEND the CONSTITUTION of the UNITED STATES?

Politician and government workers response, " I do, only to the point, that it no longer benefits myself or the government agencies and special interest I represent!" :mad:

Truth Warrior
06-20-2008, 02:44 PM
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/civil%20rights :D

Kade
06-20-2008, 02:45 PM
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/civil%20rights :D

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/imbecile

Truth Warrior
06-20-2008, 02:53 PM
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/imbecile
http://www.lawrence.edu/sorg/objectivism/socfasc.html

AmericaFyeah92
06-20-2008, 11:03 PM
^^ur part of the problem.

Besides, even if they are meant for "minorities," isn't the smallest minority the individual?

Anti Federalist
06-20-2008, 11:29 PM
What a bunch of trash wordplay... talk about newspeak... lol

If all society is not "civil" society, and that is what's implied by the adjective, then what other society is there?

What other rights or liberties are there?

Kade
06-24-2008, 08:18 AM
If all society is not "civil" society, and that is what's implied by the adjective, then what other society is there?

What other rights or liberties are there?

I'm a student of the law my friend, a civil right is simply a right or power to which can be used under civil law, like entering into a contract, or bargaining or selling goods, or creating businesses, or being given equal treatment in a law setting.

They are not natural rights. They are given by jurisprudence. They are necessary.