PDA

View Full Version : Austin Meetup - Multimedia Production

Patrick(Austin)
05-26-2007, 09:37 PM
I will be the started to setup are groups thread here.:D

Bands4RonPaul
05-26-2007, 11:10 PM
MY GOD MAN! We have a whole Thread!!!

Gee. Well guess we'll just be scrolling alot through this thing.

I've got GREAT bands ready to do any benefit for Ron Paul. These bands are SWEET! Of course there will be many more. THere are tons of bands on the Page, but the ones in my Blog are particulary avid Ron Paul supporters. And most of them are
Excellent, Professional, and So so cool! Checkout my Blog on www.myspace.com/bands4ronpaul
The one about Songs about Ron Paul. Most of the links to the bands with their music are in the Comments under the starter blog.

Ok also me and Brian both have ideas for a political cartoon. Im not sure how mine will look til I try to create it, but I think I can do it. Brian says he's working on some too. Feel free to ask me if anyone needs a quick logo or graphic to make them. I could probably whip it up in half an hour. Im talking about graphics like say the Banner for Bands4RonPaul. I can turn that kinda art for anyone out really fast. I really gotta work on a flyer for Bands4RonPaul too so that I can get them out to bands when they are out at Gigs, they can get them to LOTTA PEOPLE! So I should have that designed in a few days. I also got a video project in the works too, Id like to put the music from The Pixel's song,
"Ron Paul for President"
Here's a link, just scroll down to The Pixels to listen to it.
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=192671941&blogID=267130492&MyToken=2cb831f5-53aa-4d42-9170-a027a0037369
Check out the other bands on that page too, many of them are phenomenally good!

ChrisR
05-27-2007, 03:36 PM
Hey y'all, some people over on the mailing list are tossing around ideas for music to use for a RP theme song, and the ideas are for commercial music. So, I'm reposting here what I posted to the mailing list in hopes somebody's listening/reading:

Whoever brought up licensing rights has it right. No matter how
appropriate the song, we can't use music without permission, even for
streaming on the web, or as a RP theme, or for any other public purpose,
without giving Ron Paul a big, black eye, which I'm sure nobody wants to do.

I know whereof I speak. I used to work for a video production company that
used background music in its productions. I was reponsible for maintaining a
royalty-free library of original music and/or obtaining rights to commercial
music, which wasn't always easy to do. The two main companies that license
rights in the US for music are BMI and ASCAP. If you really have your heart
set on a particular song, and want to pursue obtaining licensing rights, try
those first. Websites are:
http://www.ascap.com/index.html
http://www.bmi.com/
For those songs not represented by these two companies, you'd likely have to
contact the copyright owner directly, either the artist or composer or both,
or his/her/their agent for permission.

However, I'd suggest it'd be much easier to either buy some royalty-free
music, or check out public domain music. For the former, just google
[royalty free music web]. For the latter, have a look here: http://www.pdinfo.com/

Bands4RonPaul
05-27-2007, 09:17 PM
I just wanted to mention here that I will include on my bands4ronpaul flyers
a link to the Austin Ron Paul meetup group as well, since many flyers will probably get handed out around here. I will also be writing a good description of the experience of attending a Ron Paul Meetup group on bands4ronpaul encouraging everyone to find one in their area and join one to get focus and direction on how they can help the Ron Paul campaign.

Also in reference to what was posted above about getting permission and copywrite problems and such. That kind of stuff only applies to items that are going to be sold products, or for official campaign usage. Any fan can create videos, music, flyers
using anything they want to use! Dj's have been doing it for years! It just cant be used in an official campaign capacity, or on anything that has to be paid for.
Even in if one does use part of a song or piece of art/video in some capacity that will be sold or in an official campaign. There is a limit to how uch you can use before it infringes on Copywrite. Look up copyright laws for samples. Here's a good start.
http://www.low-life.fsnet.co.uk/copyright/part3.htm#ethics

ChrisR
05-27-2007, 09:47 PM
I'm sorry to have to contradict you on copyright (btw, it's right, not write, as in someone having "rights" to their work) laws. The "fair use" part of the law only applies to brief snippets for reviewing or similar purposes.

As to non-commercial use, that is a gray area, but the law does generally come down on the side of those who own the copyrights. Why do you think there has been such a to-do over P2P sites? Whether DJs or their listeners have been doing it for years or not has no bearing on the law.

And yes, in general, for purely personal purposes, it might be possible to get away with using a commercial song on a personal website or for some other non-commercial purpose. But don't count on it. For example, I once tried to get rights to use some music in a video that was NOT going to be sold, but GIVEN as a gift to some families who had lost loved ones in a tragic way. Permission was refused.

Therefore, please don't dispense legal advice here. IF anyone wants to use commercial music to promote Ron Paul, I would really encourage you to please NOT do it if there is any question at all, at least not without getting professional legal advice and preferably a written legal opinion. We don't want to hurt the cause by doing anything questionable, particularly when we are promoting Dr. Paul's integrity.

There were a couple of lawyers at the meeting Friday night. Although copyright law is a speciality unto itself, perhaps one of them might nevertheless be able and willing to at least look into this.

Bands4RonPaul
05-28-2007, 09:01 AM
I'm sorry to have to contradict you on copyright (btw, it's right, not write, as in someone having "rights" to their work) laws. The "fair use" part of the law only applies to brief snippets for reviewing or similar purposes.

As to non-commercial use, that is a gray area, but the law does generally come down on the side of those who own the copyrights. Why do you think there has been such a to-do over P2P sites? Whether DJs or their listeners have been doing it for years or not has no bearing on the law.

And yes, in general, for purely personal purposes, it might be possible to get away with using a commercial song on a personal website or for some other non-commercial purpose. But don't count on it. For example, I once tried to get rights to use some music in a video that was NOT going to be sold, but GIVEN as a gift to some families who had lost loved ones in a tragic way. Permission was refused.

Therefore, please don't dispense legal advice here. IF anyone wants to use commercial music to promote Ron Paul, I would really encourage you to please NOT do it if there is any question at all, at least not without getting professional legal advice and preferably a written legal opinion. We don't want to hurt the cause by doing anything questionable, particularly when we are promoting Dr. Paul's integrity.

There were a couple of lawyers at the meeting Friday night. Although copyright law is a speciality unto itself, perhaps one of them might nevertheless be able and willing to at least look into this.

But did you even read the article I posted? I dont think you
did. Also have you been on Youtube ever? Do a search for Ron Paul, look at
many of the user created videos there. They use all kinds of music. Type in
World of Warcraft, TONS of user created videos with every song you can think of
attached.
By the way I've been in contact with the guy who made this very popular Youtube Video who got hundreds of thousands of views.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EBehuInhPRc
Here's an article about the guy who made it.
http://www.macobserver.com/article/2007/03/22.3.shtml
Here's a snippet from the article in Mac Observer:
"Many experts feel that the Hillary 1984 video marked a change in political campaigning. Now that voters have the ability to produce their own ads in support of their favorite candidate - or against politicians they oppose - many
will."

Mr. de Vellis commented "This ad was not the first citizen ad, and it will not be the last. The game has changed."

Theres plenty of online sources to find answers to these kinds of things.

ChrisR
05-28-2007, 02:47 PM
Sigh. All right, once more, but I don't have time to continue this endlessly.

For those who are interested, read below for information from YouTube's own section on copyright violations. Click the link to read the rest of it (by the way, it is also a violation of the "fair use" premise to copy/paste entire sections of copyrighted material). The point here is not to continue to engage in pointless argument but to educate, to present facts, and to encourage the exercise of utmost caution in any gray moral or legal area. The last thing we need to do is provide a target for those who would hurt Ron Paul or his campaign. We don't need to be seeing YouTube's red message "This video has been removed due to terms of use violation" on content promoting Ron Paul.

From YouTube:

"A Few Guiding Principles

* It doesn't matter how long or short the clip is, or exactly how it got to YouTube. If you taped it off cable, videotaped your TV screen, or downloaded it from some other website, it is still copyrighted, and requires the copyright owner's permission to distribute.
* It doesn't matter whether or not you give credit to the owner/author/songwriter—it is still copyrighted.
* It doesn't matter that you are not selling the video for money—it is still copyrighted.
* It doesn't matter whether or not the video contains a copyright notice—it is still copyrighted.
* It doesn't matter whether other similar videos appear on our site—it is still copyrighted.
* It doesn't matter if you created a video made of short clips of copyrighted content—even though you edited it together, the content is still copyrighted.

What Will Happen If You Upload Infringing Content

Anytime we become aware that a video or any part of a video on our site infringes the copyrights of a third party, we will take it down from the site. We are required to do so by law. If you believe that a video on the site infringes your copyright, send us a copyright notice and we will take it down. If you believe that we have removed a video that you uploaded in error and that you are the copyright owner or have permission, you can file a counter notice and let us know. If you repeatedly post infringing content, your account will be terminated. This is also a requirement of the law."

http://www.youtube.com/t/howto_copyright

a_texian
05-28-2007, 06:55 PM
Sigh. All right, once more, but I don't have time to continue this endlessly.

For those who are interested, read below for information from YouTube's own section on copyright violations. Click the link to read the rest of it (by the way, it is also a violation of the "fair use" premise to copy/paste entire sections of copyrighted material). The point here is not to continue to engage in pointless argument but to educate, to present facts, and to encourage the exercise of utmost caution in any gray moral or legal area. The last thing we need to do is provide a target for those who would hurt Ron Paul or his campaign. We don't need to be seeing YouTube's red message "This video has been removed due to terms of use violation" on content promoting Ron Paul.

From YouTube:

"A Few Guiding Principles

* It doesn't matter how long or short the clip is, or exactly how it got to YouTube. If you taped it off cable, videotaped your TV screen, or downloaded it from some other website, it is still copyrighted, and requires the copyright owner's permission to distribute.
* It doesn't matter whether or not you give credit to the owner/author/songwriter—it is still copyrighted.
* It doesn't matter that you are not selling the video for money—it is still copyrighted.
* It doesn't matter whether or not the video contains a copyright notice—it is still copyrighted.
* It doesn't matter whether other similar videos appear on our site—it is still copyrighted.
* It doesn't matter if you created a video made of short clips of copyrighted content—even though you edited it together, the content is still copyrighted.

What Will Happen If You Upload Infringing Content

Anytime we become aware that a video or any part of a video on our site infringes the copyrights of a third party, we will take it down from the site. We are required to do so by law. If you believe that a video on the site infringes your copyright, send us a copyright notice and we will take it down. If you believe that we have removed a video that you uploaded in error and that you are the copyright owner or have permission, you can file a counter notice and let us know. If you repeatedly post infringing content, your account will be terminated. This is also a requirement of the law."

http://www.youtube.com/t/howto_copyright

...especially since one of Dr. Paul's most important ideologies is that we must return to the rule of law in our nation.

I'm afraid I must concur with Chris on this one. We have to keep Dr. Paul squeeky-clean, cause the MSM and other candidates are gonna be looking for absolutely anything to show a contradiction in his message.

Heck, you've done such a tremendous Yeoman's service to the cause Joel. I truly admire what you're doing, but I think we all have to step back and look at this from a perspective that allows us to keep Dr. Paul away from the flack created by our own fervor.

Just a query here, but, don't you already have a gazillion bands onboard? If so, I'm guessing that one of our Legal Team members (specifically the attorneys) wouldn't mind drafting a quickie "copyright release" that you could get your fellow musicians to sign if one-or-more of their songs were to be used in such media? Once such a generalized form was available, it'd probably be a easy as signing it in front of a notary (which most banks will provide for free if you have an account there) and voila! I'd definitely run this by the legal folks first though. I'm guessing that just within the bands you've already signed up as serious backers there are literally thousands of songs to draw from?

Keep up the good work Joel! You're a blessing to the cause, the music world - and humanity! :)

Ed