PDA

View Full Version : CFL: What do you want it to be?

micahnelson
06-18-2008, 11:58 AM
We have had heaps of discussion about the Campaign for Liberty (http://www.campaignforliberty.org/), from staff to domain names.

As it stands, I am excited about the opportunity. I do not find much specifically to get enthusiastic about, and there is equally little over which to get bent out of shape.

Lets flesh this out a bit. We had Meetups and we would pass out campaign lit, hang signs, fly blimps, get on the radio, put ads in newspapers etc.

What should we be doing now? The Campaign for Liberty (CFL) barely postnatal, so we have plenty of opportunity to raise it like we want it.

If you want, you can answer some of these questions to help us get a sense of what the movement is expecting. Don't feel like you have to answer all or any of them. I just wanted to get people started. Try not to start a fight, please. If you disagree with someone else, simply state the alternate view- dont quote or attack the other viewpoint. I'm all for debate, but id like this thread to be full of opinions and ideas that we can pass on to the CFL leadership.

1) What elements should exist on the Campaign for Liberty Website?

2) What elements of the CFL should occur offline?

3) Should Ron Paul Meetups transition to CFL Meetups, should they stay as they are, or should CFL include a Meetup Replacement?

4) What could you see the CFL become for the positive?

5) What could you see the CFL become for the negative?

6) Should we have clearly defined positions on issues, and if so how many?

7) Should the CFL attempt to unite other advocacy groups, even if those groups may have some core differences. ( Homeschoolers and Gay Marriage , Minutemen and Open Border Libertarians.) In other words, should we attempt to be a common ground among other movements, or our own unique movement. What are the pros and cons of this approach?

8) How much top down control should the CFL have?

9) In what cases would something be done on a coordinated national level, as opposed to local action?

10) How should money be handled?

Jeremy
06-18-2008, 12:05 PM
I hope it can focus on helping candidates like BJ Lawson.

Truth Warrior
06-18-2008, 12:09 PM
Effective! :D

micahnelson
06-18-2008, 12:11 PM
I would like the website to have a news section with a similar layout to the drudge report. It should cite reputable news agencies, and possibly add some short (2 sentence) commentary to each story.

micahnelson
06-18-2008, 12:13 PM
Effective! :D

Not to break my own rules, but what would be effective in your opinion =)

SnappleLlama
06-18-2008, 12:13 PM
Perhaps include a section about Congressional voting and House resolutions currently up for discussion?

Sandra
06-18-2008, 12:17 PM
Someone from the CFL PAC needs to make an appearance on this forum. We need direct contact with those responsible for content on their site. Right now, it's NOT a "we" thing.

UtahApocalypse
06-18-2008, 12:18 PM

There needs to ways to network our resources. Like meetup does for events and people. We need to also have events, proposed, active, needing support etc.. Links to 'kits' that can be printed and distributed to those new to the liberty movement.

Establish a more founded group structure with actual by-laws, and leadership. Do not limit the group by such a leadership though. Have monthly meetings, and at least one local event a month to spread the message.

3) Should Ron Paul Meetups transition to CFL Meetups, should they stay as they are, or should CFL include a Meetup Replacement?

I am for changing over the meetups in place to become CFL, as many have already started do this. I also would like something similar to meetup directly on the site.

A educational program that can inform the masses of what true liberty can, and should be like. Also be used to help promote awareness of appropriate causes.

The fear is becoming top heavy and having and not getting things done. Needs to be open and ALL inclusive. With that said though it CANNOT become a stage for peoples own agendas.

I think this can be a issue by issue basis. when there is a issue that CFL needs to speak too collectively work together on the language of such a resolution. After a stance is agreed upon allow all members to add their names and input to the record.

7) Should the CFL attempt to unite other advocacy groups, even if those groups may have some core differences. ( Homeschoolers and Gay Marriage , Minutemen and Open Border Libertarians.) In other words, should we attempt to be a common ground among other movements, or our own unique movement. What are the pros and cons of this approach?

We should be a big open tent. Allow those of various groups to be involved and part of the liberty movement. As stated above, again do not let it become a stage for individual agendas. Also we need to be unique as in the fact we strive for on singular goal of liberty.

Control? very little. Advisory positions, quite a bit. try to have the 'leadership' be a guide rather then a director. The leadership would help to link local groups with national events and issues.

9) In what cases would something be done on a coordinated national level, as opposed to local action?

national convention (First one September 2nd, in MN) Promoting other national events and campaigns. Linking of local groups for more effective work.Archive of documents, graphics, videos that are made on both local and national level.

this one will depend alot upon what legal standing this group is. (which still has not been revealed) I think that the money needs to be handled by a group or committee rather then one treasurer. Also when possible have chip-ins for the individual event, or item so there is no need to have a trickle down.

Truth Warrior
06-18-2008, 12:19 PM
Not to break my own rules, but what would be effective in your opinion =) An exponential increase in individual liberty, by several orders of magnitude, over the current status quo would be good, just for starters. ;)

Actually I'm STILL impatiently waiting for and really wanting "Freedom, Peace and Prosperity".

LibertyEagle
06-18-2008, 12:24 PM
Someone from the CFL PAC needs to make an appearance on this forum. We need direct contact with those responsible for content on their site. Right now, it's NOT a "we" thing.

It looks like they're accepting input, here:
http://www.campaignforliberty.com/blog/?p=7

Note: Debbie Hopper was over here the other day and if the way she was treated then, was indicative of how she will be treated in the future, I wouldn't blame her for not coming back.

Pauliana
06-18-2008, 12:26 PM
I'd like to see a uniting organization, that becomes the rising freedom tide that floats all liberty-loving boats.

To do that, we (CFL) need to focus on what we can all agree on and hammer away at that. Leave the philosophical nitpicking for social hour. It's tiresome and devisive.

We should show some of the libertarian groups that were somewhat hostile towards the campaign that we are all stronger together, rather than fighting amongst ourselves.

We are all on the same team, and CFL is our clubhouse.

SnappleLlama
06-18-2008, 12:28 PM

Note: Debbie Hopper was over here the other day and if the way she was treated then, was indicative of how she will be treated in the future, I wouldn't blame her for not coming back.

Thanks for the heads up! :)

New York For Paul
06-18-2008, 12:35 PM
If CFL wants continued support from the grassroots it does help to make an appearance on the forums.

Most of us try to offer constructive criticism. These types of discussions go on in every group. Many groups no longer exist or are shadow of their former selves because people didn't question or provide suggestions as to where to go.

I have seen many groups pop up for Ron Paul, ask for money and then are unresponsive to simple questions, claiming they are too busy.

Too busy for what I ask, we are the ones that made them powerful.

They can take five minutes to answer questions. And they can get valuable feedback and advice from very talented forum members.

As long as the conversations are civil and keep to the facts, discussion can be beneficial.

Sandra
06-18-2008, 12:39 PM

She was treated horribly, but she does seem to be thick skinned. I hope she makes a comeback. :) Thanks for the link!

SnappleLlama
06-18-2008, 12:40 PM
She was treated horribly, but she does seem to be thick skinned. I hope she makes a comeback. :)

Who's Debbie Hopper? What happened?

micahnelson
06-18-2008, 12:40 PM
The CFL should enable the angry citizen to become an informed advocate of change. I can't stress this enough. The Campaign for Liberty should point people towards others who are tired of high taxes and massive government, and give them some hope. The most common question among the frustrated masses is "Who is to Blame" and "What Can We Do". We need to answer these questions clearly and calmly, and give people a sense of direction for the future.

I think the Meetups should transition to CFL meetups. The reason I say this is because Ron Paul is only one person, and this movement needs to grow to survive. It must be bigger than one person. Since the 2008 Primary season is over, and Ron Paul is no longer a candidate- there is no need to have meetups specifically about him. (I mean, hes a nice guy, but so is Mr. Rogers.)

The CFL should exist to share information with loosely affiliated autonomous groups. Effective ideas, such as Liberty BBQ's, flyer distribution, coffee house book clubs, or what have you should be shared- with details on how to use the idea in your area.

MsDoodahs
06-18-2008, 12:54 PM
Who's Debbie Hopper? What happened?

She was with the campaign and is with CFL.

She was treated badly here at RPFs...I'm sure you can guess who was involved...;)

SnappleLlama
06-18-2008, 12:56 PM

She was treated badly here at RPFs...I'm sure you can guess who was involved...;)

OMG...she came to the boards and someone verbally attacked her?? Way to go, guys...

That's seriously awful. I hope she doesn't think we're all like that. :(

micahnelson
06-18-2008, 12:58 PM

Event Planner, Regional Section, Education Section, Talking Points on News of the Day, List of candidates and voting records, Humorous Viral Videos and Pictures (of the sort old people mail around to each other)...

Education, Book Clubs, Community Events, Patriotic Celebrations (Flag day, Fourth of July, Memorial Day, Presidents day etc...) and unification of Liberty minded organizations- low tax, privacy, open government, etc...

Meetups should transition.

A loose affiliation of liberty minded advocacy groups who turn the average angry citizen into an informed voter and patriot.

A newsletter that preaches to the choir and makes us feel involved, though we are not.

A small number of simple issues. Planks on which everyone can stand.

We should attempt to unite as much as possible. We are little waves going in different directions, we need to converge if we want to have an impact, even if we don't all completely agree.

Little. Only when small groups can't pull off something alone. Think States/Fed. (In a perfect world)

National Ad Campaigns during election seasons or other key political times. National Rallies. Anything involving more than one region should have input from the National HQ.

Major events and Ad Buys should be budgeted and presented to CFL Members. The National HQ should present the ideas for us to decide if we should fund it. As an example, what ads would have been running for Ron Paul during the election if this model had been used? Only the best ads. Our ads were... not good. No Offense.

Why not let the free market decide what projects happen.

A percentage of each funded project should go to the everyday needs of the CFL. 85 project 15 Overhead or something.

micahnelson
06-18-2008, 01:00 PM

You posted in this thread, but didn't submit ideas. :mad::(

micahnelson
06-18-2008, 01:01 PM

You, too, posted in this thread- but did not submit ideas. :eek:

MsDoodahs
06-18-2008, 01:02 PM
OMG...she came to the boards and someone verbally attacked her?? Way to go, guys...

I think Debbie knows which posters are very much against the success of CFL, as well as which posters are very much for the success of CFL. It's really not hard to see....

MsDoodahs
06-18-2008, 01:09 PM
You posted in this thread, but didn't submit ideas. :mad::(

I submitted ideas directly. :)

micahnelson
06-18-2008, 01:12 PM
I submitted ideas directly. :)

Do you mind sharing? People aren't going to get excited about something if they don't see potential. :)

MsDoodahs
06-18-2008, 01:17 PM
Yes, I do mind sharing what I provided privately. :)

Though I did add some general stuff on one of the other "ideas for CFL" threads...

WRellim
06-18-2008, 01:21 PM

Sadly the truth is that Debbie Hopper "popped" herself into a few threads, left some inappropriate comments (directed at people who were merely inquiring as to whether anyone knew what the legal form of the CFL was {something we still have only hearsay answers to}) ...and then left.

No one verbally attacked her. That is a complete mis-characterization of the thread by MsDoodoo, which is sadly a common occurrence.

New York For Paul
06-18-2008, 01:22 PM

Having seen first hand what happened at the national headquarters, we have a right and responsibility to question what was going on.

Especially if it involves gross negligence and neglect vs. average negligence and neglect and mis management.

newbitech
06-18-2008, 01:24 PM

The site should be broken down by states. Each state should be broken down by county. Each county should be broken down by precinct.

Any type of sensitive organizational details or planning. How to define that? Anything that may be used to give the enemy intelligence on what is being organized or planned.

This is an issue that should be discussed offline within the individual meetups themselves.

A hub of easily accessible knowledge and information about current legislation, news, and events that impact individuals lives directly.

perpetual beta testing.

I think its more productive to help people become more aware of what is happening than it is to try and force feed them 30 years of liberty campaigning in one visit to a website. We have one position that is common to all, and that is we demand that the information be made available to everyone.

This is another thing that needs to be done offline. Ideally, it will take cooperation from all of these groups to achieve the goal of unity. Thats not going to happen online.

Its their website, they can control it however they see fit. The country wasn't founded by one great leader. There were many unsung heroes in the revolution. So I say, none.

If something happens in my precinct that violates my liberties every precinct should come to my defense. Likewise, when there is an injustice to an individual in Seattle, precincts in Hillsborough county should organize protests in downtown Tampa.

The donations should occur at the local levels and let the individual leaders in precincts decide where that money needs to go with bias towards spending locally first, then in the state and finally nationally.

SnappleLlama
06-18-2008, 01:24 PM
Sadly the truth is that Debbie Hopper "popped" herself into a few threads, left some inappropriate comments (directed at people who were merely inquiring as to whether anyone knew what the legal form of the CFL was {something we still have only hearsay answers to}) ...and then left.

No one verbally attacked her. That is a complete mis-characterization of the thread by MsDoodoo, which is sadly a common occurrence.

Do you happen to know what thread or threads she appeared in? I'm curious as to what she said...

MsDoodahs
06-18-2008, 01:27 PM

Hardly a mischaracterization - and clearly, a characterization that others share...others that brought up the treatment of Ms. Hopper in this thread.

:)

amy31416
06-18-2008, 01:29 PM
I want the CFL to be completely transparent financially, anything less will be unacceptable to most of us cats.

I want the CFL to be professional, but creative. Inclusive, but not stupid. I want them to be inclusive of the grassroots and never forget that this is a bottom-up effort, while still maintaining direction and making substantial accomplishments. Accomplishments that we can all take pride in and be involved with.

In this movement, I don't consider Ron Paul himself to be more important than the grassroots supporter who knocked on doors for days on end, spreading the message. That said, some people are catalysts for change on a large scale, and some are on a smaller scale. Those who do it on a large scale get more recognition, and those who get recognition should never forget or fail to mention that without the collective effort of all of us, that their own efforts would have failed.

We should always be vigilant, and there will be mistakes made. I don't consider the mistakes that Trevor et al. made to be malicious, we just have to make more sensible choices about what we rally around and listen to the lone voices that have objections.

DeadtoSin
06-18-2008, 01:31 PM
I want the CFL to be completely transparent financially, anything less will be unacceptable to most of us cats.

I want the CFL to be professional, but creative. Inclusive, but not stupid. I want them to be inclusive of the grassroots and never forget that this is a bottom-up effort, while still maintaining direction and making substantial accomplishments. Accomplishments that we can all take pride in and be involved with.

In this movement, I don't consider Ron Paul himself to be more important than the grassroots supporter who knocked on doors for days on end, spreading the message. That said, some people are catalysts for change on a large scale, and some are on a smaller scale. Those who do it on a large scale get more recognition, and those who get recognition should never forget or fail to mention that without the collective effort of all of us, that their own efforts would have failed.

We should always be vigilant, and there will be mistakes made. I don't consider the mistakes that Trevor et al. made to be malicious, we just have to make more sensible choices about what we rally around and listen to the lone voices that have objections.

Amy, you usually have a way of articulating my precise feelings without me having to type it up.

MsDoodahs
06-18-2008, 01:31 PM
Having seen first hand what happened at the national headquarters, we have a right and responsibility to question what was going on.

Especially if it involves gross negligence and neglect vs. average negligence and neglect and mis management.

I'd like to hear the reason you feel "we" have a "right" to question how Dr. Paul chose to run his campaign.

revolutionman
06-18-2008, 01:37 PM
God willing CFL will offer every and any resource available to help us all be the brightest, most productive revolutionaries we can be.

I'd ultimately like to see CFL college funds, and resources for private schools.

Another thing that would be great is official CFL leaflets and pamphlets, and even DVDs sold for production value or even a small profit, so long as the profits found their ways into the coffers. its easier to get donations by slightly overpricing goods and marketing them to people, than it is from just soliciting donations. Even if they are totally free, it would be nice to have physical papers to show my friends and family what we are all about, so they can stop listening to the MSMs oppinion on us.

CFL should serve to organize and support grass roots efforts, not take the fight out of our hands.

micahnelson
06-18-2008, 01:42 PM
Great info so far, keep it coming.

acptulsa
06-18-2008, 01:45 PM
Amy, you usually have a way of articulating my precise feelings without me having to type it up.

I bet her fingers are in better shape than yours. They get more exercise!

Seriously, though, that was a great post.

micahnelson
06-18-2008, 01:48 PM
Here is another, More Input the better. It will give them something to read and hopefully inspire some people on the fence about the issue.

How should the Precinct Leader program fit into the CFL?

amy31416
06-18-2008, 02:03 PM
I bet her fingers are in better shape than yours. They get more exercise!

Seriously, though, that was a great post.

Hahaha. Well thanks guys, I do have the fingers of a pianist and since I don't use them in that way, I gotta use 'em for something just as vigorous.

Ironic that I'm pretty yappy on here, in real life I really don't talk much at all.

Anyways, I do have some pretty high hopes for the CFL. I see it as a common hub for all of us--sort of the center pole for that big tent we're propping up. And that's a tall order.

newbitech
06-18-2008, 02:03 PM
Here is another, More Input the better. It will give them something to read and hopefully inspire some people on the fence about the issue.

I have been researching the activities of the 1776 revolutionaries. They had committees of correspondence. I think precincts should take a parallel role.

LibertyEagle
06-18-2008, 02:07 PM
You, too, posted in this thread- but did not submit ideas. :eek:

What are you talking about?

New York For Paul
06-18-2008, 02:12 PM
I'd like to hear the reason you feel "we" have a "right" to question how Dr. Paul chose to run his campaign.

Well if we donate or volunteer we should try make sure that the campaign is properly run.

It is a two way street. If he wants us to donate, he can say that he is mindful about the donors money and that they will try to spend it wisely.

The campaign can do anything it wants, including shutting out donors and volunteers, but just don't expect the donors or volunteers to keep coming back.

In most large campaigns, large donors like to know who the consultants are before they will donate. They want to have confidence in the campaign.

Because these donors are hit up for money everyday by all sorts of deserving candidates, the donor have to have some way to discern how professionally run the campaign will be before they donate.

Many consultants have track records. Not just whether they win or lose but also how they handle the campaign, relate to the party structure treat other donors and volunteers and prepare for the next campaign.

Most campaigns do lose, but the campaigns should be run professionally. That is the least the donors deserve. That the campaign manager really try to give it their best shot.

The same goes for organizations like the CFL.

amy31416
06-18-2008, 02:15 PM

I see the precinct leader program as the first baby step into becoming politically involved and it should be one of the cornerstones. Keep the list of precincts along with all those who volunteered and start applying it to local candidates who have been "vetted."

Our future leaders will likely get their start in this type of program. So it is worthwhile to focus some of the educational efforts that way. There's sort of a hierarchy of involvement:

no involvement (their opinions don't matter for the most part)
average voter (only votes in the general election, watches MSM for info)
primary voter (more involvement, likes to analyze candidates, but may only get info from MSM.)
precinct leaders (much more involvement, knows candidates stances along with opponents)
campaign staff (paid to do essentially what precinct leaders do, more strategy involved, have to produce results)
candidates (paid to represent us if elected.)

I'm no political whiz, but this seems to be sort of how it works to me. So the precinct leader program is a stepping stone to more involvement, or the precinct leader can stay where they are. Either way, the precinct leaders are central in my own mind and in that sense, very important.

micahnelson
06-18-2008, 02:17 PM
What are you talking about.
Also, I am just trying to collect info- not fight. Obviously you can discuss what you want with me wherever, but Id appreciate it if we could stay on topic. What is your vision for the CFL, LE? Youve been around here a long time.

LibertyEagle
06-18-2008, 02:18 PM
Well if we donate or volunteer we should try make sure that the campaign is properly run.

That's not OUR job; it is Ron's.

It is a two way street. If he wants us to donate, he can say that he is mindful about the donors money and that they will try to spend it wisely.

If you don't already know this about Ron Paul, you don't know him very well.

The campaign can do anything it wants, including shutting out donors and volunteers, but just don't expect the donors or volunteers to keep coming back.

Give them a chance, will ya? The CFL has not even officially launched.

LibertyEagle
06-18-2008, 02:21 PM
Also, I am just trying to collect info- not fight. Obviously you can discuss what you want with me wherever, but Id appreciate it if we could stay on topic. What is your vision for the CFL, LE? Youve been around here a long time.

I very much like what Ron has suggested will be its purpose. There's also been some good ideas on this board and I'm sure they would be happy to listen to them, if we can manage to offer them in a manner that does not include insults.

New York For Paul
06-18-2008, 02:23 PM
The precinct leaders program is where we will get future candidates who are smart and know the game on the ground.

Look at Obama. He was a street organizer for a political machine in Chicago.

He arrives in the Senate in 2004 and then goes on to beat the political establishment's candidate Clinton. Clinton had eight years to prepare to run for president. Further, she had contacts and name recognition from the previous eight years. She was first lady. Obama was just one of one hundred senators who had never run nationwide.

From the looks of it she didn't pay attention to the basic organizing aspect of the campaign. Obama won in caucus state which is all about organizing your people and getting them to attend the caucus.

This is a lesson that organization and now use of the internet can trump mass media politics. Hillary Clinton still owes her media consultant millions of dollars.

Looks like she spent too much on self interested media consultants and not enough on grassroots consultants.

So Ron Paul should keep the precinct program alive. It is very important.

micahnelson
06-18-2008, 02:24 PM
Im seeing precinct leaders similar to how Amy is seeing it (which seems to be a trend.)

They can be the go-to person for get out the vote, and should be involved with any area Meetups. They would also be useful in vetting local candidates that the CFL might endorse. I would know more about a state rep if he is in my neighborhood.

Local issues can also get communicated on a larger scale, such as the RFID chipping of School Kids backpacks in my home state that we have been discussing on the boards lately. Small issues can make national waves if we scream about it at the right places.

newbitech
06-18-2008, 02:24 PM

But Ron Paul is asking the media to join up. How much more official does it need to be? There are over 50k emails signed in the database. Those could be spam emails though cause I signed up my mom, dad, brother, and myself and didn't need to email validate to be counted.

Anyways, if its not officially launched then that just means there was not a seemless transition. Not trying to be negative Nancy, but saying its not official yet makes me think that this was some after thought or spur of the moment response to the official campaign.

I don't believe that, I just think that its a huge undertaking and they need more people to get it going. The grassroots has been planning a what next strategy since January. I hope the campaign gets on board soon. I am sure they will. I know these things don't happen overnight and I have extremely high hopes that its going to shift into a higher gear. The longer we go through this downshift, the longer its going to take to reach the goal.

I am 100% confident that Dr. Paul will keep things going like he has for the last 30 years. I just hope the people he passes the torch too can take it to the next level. I am waiting to see that. I think most are.

micahnelson
06-18-2008, 02:25 PM
I very much like what Ron has suggested will be its purpose. There's also been some good ideas on this board and I'm sure they would be happy to listen to them, if we can manage to offer them in a manner that does not include insults.

Thus, this thread =) Do you have any specific ideas beyond the general guidelines they have given us thus far?

New York For Paul
06-18-2008, 02:28 PM
That's not OUR job; it is Ron's.

If you don't already know this about Ron Paul, you don't know him very well.

I will give the CFL a chance. I like that Jeff is more involved and higher up. That is a good sign.

micahnelson
06-18-2008, 02:32 PM
I am 100% confident that Dr. Paul will keep things going like he has for the last 30 years. I just hope the people he passes the torch too can take it to the next level. I am waiting to see that. I think most are.

Longevity is one of the benefits of having a movement be larger than an individual.

In order to motivate you like the Ron Paul Campaign did, what would the CFL have to be? Again, its not to tell people how to run things- its just so everyone knows what each other is expecting.

LibertyEagle
06-18-2008, 02:34 PM
newbitech,

CFL is a huge undertaking. I just think we need to give them a chance to get things in place, before some of us start attacking. What we see right now on the CFL web site is nothing more than a splash screen. It is going to be MUCH more than what we see now. :)

LibertyEagle
06-18-2008, 02:36 PM
Thus, this thread =) Do you have any specific ideas beyond the general guidelines they have given us thus far?

I have sent a suggestion or two their way, yes.

amy31416
06-18-2008, 02:38 PM
By the way, Micah, you're doing a fine job keeping things topical and getting some substance here.

LibertyEagle
06-18-2008, 02:40 PM
Yes, he is. :)

micahnelson
06-18-2008, 02:42 PM
By the way, Micah, you're doing a fine job keeping things topical and getting some substance here.

Thanks. The other threads were getting a little heated. I appreciate your input, I think it helps people get an Idea of what it could be. I see CFL as the house in "Its a Wonderful Life". Maybe right now its just a big ugly house, but if we can get people to stop breaking windows and move inside we can fix it up real nice.

I'll coin the phrase, ahem, Extreme Political Makeover: Home of the Brave Edition!

amy31416
06-18-2008, 02:52 PM
Thanks. The other threads were getting a little heated. I appreciate your input, I think it helps people get an Idea of what it could be. I see CFL as the house in "Its a Wonderful Life". Maybe right now its just a big ugly house, but if we can get people to stop breaking windows and move inside we can fix it up real nice.

I'll coin the phrase, ahem, Extreme Political Makeover: Home of the Brave Edition!

Ha! Good way to look at it. There will always be differences in how to decorate the house, but the foundation on which it stands is what is truly important.

micahnelson
06-18-2008, 02:58 PM
Ha! Good way to look at it. There will always be differences in how to decorate the house, but the foundation on which it stands is what is truly important.

And the fact that we still own the house, that would be nice too.

I really would like to foster a sense unity, and I realize the whole "Cat Herding" thing, but still. If we can't unite around a few key issues, we will lose our whole platform. Thats why I am hoping the CFL will not be limited to GOP candidates or activities.

newbitech
06-18-2008, 03:13 PM
In order to motivate you like the Ron Paul Campaign did, what would the CFL have to be?

I think the CFL has to do more than what the Ron Paul campaign did. I haven't lost my motivation to be politically active. I don't think I ever will especially with the direction our nation is moving in. I will say that the official campaign rolled out the precinct leader program a little late to have an impact in my state.

FL only got a paltry less than 70,000 votes for Ron Paul. The campaign didn't take advantage of the mistake by both major parties to not seat the full slate of delegates in FL or MI. (basically FL was ignored by national) The CFL will need to be more limber than that. The CFL needs to be out in front of the grassroots LEADING this effort. I was disappointed that the campaign took a backseat and was not ready to pounce on key weaknesses or opportunities AS THEY WERE PRESENTED.

I'd also like to see more anticipation of these types of political moves. Many in the grassroots myself included are political newbies. We should be able to look to CFL for direction in basics of the political arena. Tried and true political methodology should be available for the rapid consumption and assimilation into the grassroots.

Then there is the image. We need work on that. The CFL should find out why things like "why were the money bombs so successful?". Its easy to say freedom is popular, but its not easy to put that up against the MSM machine who have American's thinking we are being attacked because of that freedom. Its easy to say, "if freedom is so popular, why did Dr. Paul only pull in <50 delegates?". The fact that there are 100's of ways that a political novice like me can respond to that makes my job that much harder.

Yes freedom is popular, but when the image is that freedom is under attack and no one is voting for the "freedom candidate", most "regular" folks tend to back away from the confrontation and find something more "meaningful" to spend their time and money on. So work on the image of the slogan "freedom is popular" cause right now its seems like freedom is getting bushwacked, keelhauled, pigeonholed, and ignored.

MsDoodahs
06-18-2008, 03:40 PM
Education is key. :)

LittleLightShining
06-18-2008, 03:45 PM
I;m not sure if this has been mentioned, but I personally want to see more interaction with the grassroots. During the primary season we were all so motivated and enthusiastic, doing whatever we could to help and feeling good about what we were doing. Then when we saw that the campaign wasn't doing as much as we were, despite all the money we had collectively given them to do something a lot of folks lost their fire. I know I contacted the campaign pleading with them to advertise here because it was so cheap and small and fertile and they said they wouldn't sped the money and they couldn't work with the grassroots because of fed rules.

We wanted to participate, we wanted real, practical things to do and we did them on our own and we did them well. What would have been better? Support from headquarters. I hope that the CFL will be a place where people can bring their ideas and actually get some support through a nationwide network that can help expand the ideas and help finance them.

Mckarnin
06-18-2008, 04:40 PM
I was looking for an example of what I want the CFL to become and came upon this: http://www.americasfuture.org/ not exactly what I want but I am curious, did they help Ron Paul at all besides the straw poll where he won?

I think that the CFL needs to be an organization that finds and grooms potential candidates for the movement, sometimes years in advance. They need to be the chess players of the movement, strategizing and making long-term plans to position our candidates effectively and place leaders in the movement in strategic locations and organizations throughout the US. They will also educate and groom promising candidates. This organization could actually be a full blown 501(C)(3) because it would not be performing advocacy, just training and education of leaders in the movement.

Then there can be a PAC arm of the CFL that actively promotes current candidates and helps to fund their campaigns and run high-quality advertising.

SeanEdwards
06-18-2008, 05:34 PM

Discussion forums, some kind of social networking framework, educational materials that can be printed and distributed in person, links to liberty oriented web resources.

Organized charity events, neighborhood cleanups, etc. Offline events should be designed to be interesting to the general public, in order to draw them in so that they can at least be exposed to ideas about liberty.

Also, the CFL should strive to get representation and face time on mainstream media, sort of like how the CFR does, or any of the various non-governmental advocacy groups, like NRA, etc.

The Ron Paul meetups should be encouraged to transition to CFL meetups.

A liberty oriented CFR, or moveon.org. By that I mean, an influential organization whose ideas are regularly exposed to the public. I was watching some TV crap the other day, and some high muckety-muck of the CFR was on the show, going on and on about what he thought U.S. policy needed to be vis-a-vis Iraq/Iran/NWO spewage. Those guys have had a monopoly on the terms of the debate for far too long and I'd like to see the CFL present different options to the public.

An upgraded megaphone for Alex Jones.

Yeah, I think it should have a clearly defined position regarding rule of law in a Constitutional republic. The contract between the people and their government is vital, and it is critical that the terms of that contract be upheld. Just about every other issue is a political matter, but if the basic rules of the game are ignored, then you don't have a game worth playing.

No. There may end up being overlap where other advocacy groups find agreement with the CFL, but trying to engineer some kind of coalition sounds like an impossible task without even a good payoff. Look at how Paul unified so many diverse groups, merely by stating his own philosophy. He didn't appeal to those diverse groups by trying to compromise his message or spin it to be appealing to different people. It is what it is. Take it or leave it.

Significant. Like I said previously it should be kind of like a moveon.org or CFR, and those organizations don't let the little guys dictate the message. Within the organization the leadership can seek input from the membership, but if the organization can not present a unified message or control it's own image, then it isn't an organization at all. An army is a lot more effective than a mob.

Any activity bearing the "CFL stamp" should at least be approved at a national level. That's not to say that local meetups couldn't organize and do stuff, but for the love of god, don't let the CFL label be used by truthers/racists/theocrats/anarchists/imperialists/younameits as a way to push their own agenda.

How does the CFR or moveon.org handle their money? There's your answer.

mport1
06-18-2008, 05:35 PM
Here are some ideas from myself and others - http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=143090

Crickett
06-18-2008, 06:04 PM
My feelings are that the main platform of the CFL should be the Constitution and upholding it. Any groups that can get behind that are welcome, but their individual agendas must take a back seat to the MAIN one.
There should be a LOT of news on the site, mostly dealing with things that are happening to uphold or undermine the Constitution. There can always be opinion, commentary, forums. I also strongly agree that ANY regulations, directives or laws which have urgent constitutional relevance should be watched carefully by CFL, having easy to read clarifications of the "bill" and all congressional votes. Good links to writing the Congressmen. Good links to calling them.

Definitely helping people running for office with "our" platform (which is the Constitution) and educational tools to help them, and to help encourage others to run. In AR, most of the State legislature candidates run unopposed from Republicans and it is a travesty.
Setting up (or keeping) meetup groups in areas where there are people who can work to be effective in local and national issues is urgent. ALL coordinators sent out, however, must have people back at the HQ that are there ONLY to listen to how they are doing and interacting with the people in that area. They should get continuous performance reports filled out. Even as much as once per week, and rated by the groups they work with, which are read carefully at HQ and appropriate accolades or improvement areas are communicated to them in a timely manner (once per week, etc.) COMMUNICATION IS THE MAJOR COMPONENT. We can have dues of $10./ mo or whatever, but many people need to be hired to communicate with the "feet on the ground", and available to quickly respond for local media interviews if requested.

Ok am done for now...

Mckarnin
06-18-2008, 06:41 PM
Thought you might find this old link interesting. I think we agree on a lot of what has to happen for the future of Freedom: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=115250

Discussion forums, some kind of social networking framework, educational materials that can be printed and distributed in person, links to liberty oriented web resources.

Organized charity events, neighborhood cleanups, etc. Offline events should be designed to be interesting to the general public, in order to draw them in so that they can at least be exposed to ideas about liberty.

Also, the CFL should strive to get representation and face time on mainstream media, sort of like how the CFR does, or any of the various non-governmental advocacy groups, like NRA, etc.

The Ron Paul meetups should be encouraged to transition to CFL meetups.

A liberty oriented CFR, or moveon.org. By that I mean, an influential organization whose ideas are regularly exposed to the public. I was watching some TV crap the other day, and some high muckety-muck of the CFR was on the show, going on and on about what he thought U.S. policy needed to be vis-a-vis Iraq/Iran/NWO spewage. Those guys have had a monopoly on the terms of the debate for far too long and I'd like to see the CFL present different options to the public.

An upgraded megaphone for Alex Jones.

Yeah, I think it should have a clearly defined position regarding rule of law in a Constitutional republic. The contract between the people and their government is vital, and it is critical that the terms of that contract be upheld. Just about every other issue is a political matter, but if the basic rules of the game are ignored, then you don't have a game worth playing.

No. There may end up being overlap where other advocacy groups find agreement with the CFL, but trying to engineer some kind of coalition sounds like an impossible task without even a good payoff. Look at how Paul unified so many diverse groups, merely by stating his own philosophy. He didn't appeal to those diverse groups by trying to compromise his message or spin it to be appealing to different people. It is what it is. Take it or leave it.

Significant. Like I said previously it should be kind of like a moveon.org or CFR, and those organizations don't let the little guys dictate the message. Within the organization the leadership can seek input from the membership, but if the organization can not present a unified message or control it's own image, then it isn't an organization at all. An army is a lot more effective than a mob.

Any activity bearing the "CFL stamp" should at least be approved at a national level. That's not to say that local meetups couldn't organize and do stuff, but for the love of god, don't let the CFL label be used by truthers/racists/theocrats/anarchists/imperialists/younameits as a way to push their own agenda.

How does the CFR or moveon.org handle their money? There's your answer.

micahnelson
06-18-2008, 06:48 PM
Here are some ideas from myself and others - http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=143090

Great info in your thread as well. I hope these all get passed along to the CFL planners. Should we call it C4L or CFL?

SeanEdwards
06-18-2008, 06:54 PM
Thought you might find this old link interesting. I think we agree on a lot of what has to happen for the future of Freedom: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=115250

Thanks for that link. You spelled out what I was thinking more eloquently than I was thinking it. :D

newbitech
06-18-2008, 07:14 PM
Great info in your thread as well. I hope these all get passed along to the CFL planners. Should we call it C4L or CFL?

Canadian Football League what?

micahnelson
06-19-2008, 05:38 AM
Here is another one... if the CFL seemed to be producing results, how much time per month would you be willing to be involved?

revolutionman
06-19-2008, 06:27 AM
I think another great strategy would be a touring seminar that teaches John Q. Public how to handle his own personal finances in a responsible conservative manner, and touches on saving for health emergencies, retirement, and helps the average joe understand how exactly it is that he is going to get by without all of the Government programs RP wants to eliminate. Start in a few major cities and expand as demand dictates. this would be another service provided at cost or for slight profit, to be used to fund further activity.

Community Outreach and Charity Benefit rolled into one.

micahnelson
06-19-2008, 06:48 AM
That would be great, maybe if the CFL produced some literature it could be part of a Book Club at a coffee house, being in public helps us pick up people who wouldn't ordinarily see us.

Another alternative would be using "CrashProof" as a foundation, I have not read the book though so I could not say.

What other topics could be discussed in small CFL groups?

MsDoodahs
06-19-2008, 06:54 AM

The possibilities are endless...:D

micahnelson
06-19-2008, 06:59 AM
The possibilities are endless...:D

I agree. Personally local discussions I would like to see...

Local Issue discussions where you come up with strong arguments for the pro-liberty side and publish them in letters to the editor, maybe even get on local talk radio shows.

Growing food.

Monitoring what kids are learning in Public school (Involves being involved with your child's life to know, of course)

Maybe invite local candidates to drop by a discussion?

Maybe even some public debates?

LittleLightShining
06-19-2008, 07:28 AM
Property Rights... States' issues-- states' real role in a Constitutional Republic and the limiting of Federal intervention in the states. Also current state legislation which is unconstitutional-- educating the people about their own states' constitutions...

micahnelson
06-19-2008, 08:42 AM
Many great Ideas here. Does anyone have a way of passing these along to the CFL planners?

SnappleLlama
06-19-2008, 08:49 AM
Many great Ideas here. Does anyone have a way of passing these along to the CFL planners?

perhaps LibertyEagle (mod)?

LibertyEagle
06-19-2008, 09:06 AM
perhaps LibertyEagle (mod)?

Here's a place on the CFL website where it appears they are accepting recommendations.

micahnelson
06-19-2008, 10:15 AM
Any other thoughts?

...or others?

Tarzan
06-19-2008, 11:37 AM
Any other thoughts?

Depends on the legal structure.

Several... educational and outreach should not be limited to the Internet... we have to reach out to the broadest market.

Yes... CFL should have its own thing. But, we need something other than the Meetup site. It has proven to be a technological nightmare.

A means to restore a Constitutional Government.

A host of possibilities if we do not handle its creation and direction properly.

One... restoring the constitution. From there most issues will resolve themselves or provide us the ground in which to make actual changes.

No... no intangling alliances... see below.

Substantially more than our previous efforts. There needs to be a balance but we are no where near to appropriate level of proper leadership.

Most things should be routed through the top level and specific guidelines and procedures should come from national as directed by grassroots input.

Depends on the legal setup. I think an oversight board is needed and that a staff of professionals is essential to real success.

Tarzan
06-19-2008, 11:40 AM
Ron Paul recently announced the “Campaign for Liberty” (CFL) Site. I agree with his assessment that this effort is “far more important” than the failed presidential campaign. This could be our last, best hope for restoring a constitutional government in Washington, DC before the time to make real, corrective changes slips through our grasp.

The changes needed are time critical; our economy is in serious trouble and could lead to the collapse of the United States in the same way economic issues put an end the USSR. We truly need a new revolution to return us to our core values and to the rule of law and out constitution. Time is critical and we do not have the luxury of repeating the mistakes that have not garnered success. Our efforts must be directed toward achieving realistic objectives using methods, techniques and procedures that have worked throughout history and in today’s political realities.

To that end I believe that this effort should be directed by the grassroots and not the people who failed to achieve success while working for the presidential campaign. We need capable leadership, training and direction from the central organization. We need proven, workable and repeatable plans and guidance. We need active local groups working individually under the parameters of a professional and seasoned central coordinating center with the tools and resources to achieve success. The notion that this revolution should be lead from the “bottom up” is a historically failed strategy. A review of the first American Revolution demonstrates that victory required a combination of the militia (grassroots) and the American Army (centralized guidance, planning and resources). Without proper leadership this movement will become another historic footnote of a failed revolution. We must achieve the proper balance to restore a constitutional government and the leadership and guidance from the presidential campaign was woefully lacking.

We (the grassroots) need to help establish the proper leadership for the CFL. We need to set the direction for this effort to ensure victory. Therefore, here are some suggestions regarding items I consider crucial to victory as we continue our efforts to restore the constitution. I hope this will open a serious discussion and further suggestions as we set the agenda and objectives.

1. More substance and less fluff... The structure of the CFL initiative needs to be more... well, structured! The site was setup with great haste and contains no real plans or objectives. There are suggestions on the site; but no real plans. Because of the haste in creating the “Strategy” the list is ill-conceived. For example; the suggestions of “book clubs” and “materials for homeschooling” are efforts that will reach far too few and have little immediate impact. We need have a well considered and achievable set of objectives based on the resources available and the essential and achievable goals.

2. Start with a Firm footing... The legal structure of CFL needs to be clarified immediately. Taking donations should be disabled until this all important task has been accomplished. Donated money must be handled in very different manners, depending on the legal setup of CFL. Is it a PAC, a 501c3, a 501c4 or some other entity? This is critical and appears to have not been considered. It demonstrates that professionals at the central level are essential for making proper decisions.

3. Hiring the right staff… the experience with the presidential campaign has clearly demonstrated the necessity of hiring paid professionals with the skills and abilities necessary to achieve success. In particular was the inability of the campaign to properly frame and present “the message” to the American voter. We need professional writers, professional event planners, professional artists and others skilled at essential skills for running such an operation.

4. Selecting the right leadership… to hire the right staff members (and fire them if needed) we need people with proven leadership skills and commitment to the objectives to be in charge of the CFL. Few such leaders come to mind and we need a procedure to ensure the health and proper direction of the CFL. Perhaps a board, elected in part by the grassroots, would be one means of enlisting the leadership of the CFL.

5. The Role of Ron Paul… in order to provide CFL with the widest possible exposure and acceptance. We should not associate the organization with any one person. This includes Ron Paul. Ron Paul’s name should be removed from the name. Rather than burdening Ron Paul with the leadership of this organization he should be the figure head, mentor and founding member. He should certainly be on the leadership board, but not as the central decision maker. That role should be left to others with the time and professional experience to run such an operation.

6. Ron Paul is vital to this movement... the CFL website has been able to accumulate over 55,000 subscribers in little more than one week. We need RP to help continue to attract and centralize support and to energize and muster the grassroots. We need his contacts in the media and government. This should include speakers such as former comptroller David Walker as well as celebrities such as Tom Selleck, Drew Cary, Erika Elaniak, Penn & Teller and others who can bring positive attention to the CFL. For example, consider the march lead by Jenny McCarthy and Jim Carey. With only 7,500 marchers they were able to achieve several reports and interest from the national media. We need to use they proven practice to raise awareness for CFL and our objectives.

7. The forest for the trees... we need REAL polling information, not just wishful thinking. There is a conception within this movement that we are gaining support and members. That does not appear to be the case but we have no real information to show otherwise. We need real polling information to determine our position and influence. We cannot make assumptions based on our personal contacts. Just because we are surrounded by people of a similar ilk does not make these assertions true. We need to be realistic, not only in our approach for gaining victory, but also as to our affect and influence. We need to know if we are being truly successful in our efforts and not base the information on personal perceptions. This is another reason we need true professionals at the top level.

8. A degree of separation... we need to have CFL stand on its own merits. We need to separate our thinking and wording away from promoting other groups. This includes groups and individuals such as the Libertarian Party, the Ludwig von Mises Institute, the Republican Liberty Caucus, Freedom Force International, The Cato Institute, Lew Rockwell, Alex Jones and others. Our ideas need to be expressed in our own terms... not those of others. Binding ourselves and our ideas to others is unwise. We need to speak with our own voice and not reference the ideas of others. CFL should not be exposed through association to other groups with whom we might disagree on specific issues. If we have something to say or an idea to express we need to put it in our own terms. Not the in the terms of other individuals with whom we may disagree. We also need to avoid being tied to them should they make inappropriate statements. This is pointless exposure to possible negatives and we need to remain separate from these other groups. Their members should be free to join CFL but no association or bonds should be formed with these groups.

9. Learn to Win... We need to win, not go down in glorious defeat. We need to stop thumping our chests and thinking we "fought the good fight" when we actually helped create the defeat. The "don't blame me, I voted for someone else" mentality needs to be removed from our thinking. This takes maturity and a real adherence to our central values. We need to plan to win and conduct ourselves in a professional manner to achieve victory. We have to abandon the failed notion that glorious defeat is a good thing. We have got to focus on winning and do the things necessary to that end. It may take some antacids and a good support group, but we need to put our efforts into achievable goals... abandon unrealistic goals or candidates... and focus our efforts on winning... not losing or making sure some other candidate loses. We need to win and we need to adopt the mentality of winners.

10. All things to all people… based on the CFL website and some of the early videos it appears that CFL is attempting to be all things to all people. While centralization of certain roles is critical the CFL should not be the single point for the litany of ideas they have thrown out. This type of decision will be based largely on the type of legal entity created. It may be necessary to have three (or more) structures and organizations in place to achieve the goals necessary. For example, direct assistance of candidates should not be directly connected with any Media efforts… or, with any general educational efforts directed toward to voters. It may be necessary to have three organizations autonomous from one another. These might be:
a. Candidate support Efforts (including grooming, materials, monetary assistance)
b. News Media (including radio, TV, Internet and print)
c. Educational Efforts (similar to the Sierra Club or other 501c4 groups)

11. The consent of the governed... In the same way “we the people” are the source of government power; we, the grassroots, need to be the source of the power for the CFL. If we are to donate our time, money, efforts and resources to this organization WE should be setting up the basic operating procedures. In the same way we created a constitution our government should be following; we should be directing the creation and goals of this organization. Essentially, we need a set of guidelines that CFL will adopt and to which it will adhere. The direction and efforts as demonstrated by those leading the presidential campaign will not be sufficient for this effort. We need to provide a clear set of “marching orders” for this organization that will help us achieve victory. Our goal should be the restoration of constitutional law and the CFL should be our tool for realizing this objective. We should not be distracted by low priority objectives or positions having nothing to do with the overall goal. We need to take charge of this and we cannot waste time waiting for several more months. We need to act NOW as time is critical.

newbitech
06-19-2008, 12:09 PM
so many good points Tarzan.

I think we ought to take a page out of our history book. We need to do what works in order to stand up for ourselves. What worked in the past was to form committees at the local level that are tied together through state and national committees. Not unlike the current party system. (and meetups?)

I wish I could be more descriptive of my vision, but one thing I know is that I am not attending weekly regular meetings like the folks did in this snip from ht tp://www.americanrevolution.com/his_first_phase_outbreak.html (http://www.americanrevolution.com/his_first_phase_outbreak.html). I believe weekly local meetings will be an essential ingredient in putting pressure on our government to change.

The First Continental Congress meeting at Philadelphia on September 5, 1774, addressed respectful petitions to Parliament and king but also adopted nonimportation and nonexportation agreements in an effort to coerce the British Government into repealing the offending measures. To enforce these agreements, committees were formed in almost every county, town, and city throughout the colonies, and in each colony these committees soon became the effective local authorities, the base of a pyramid of revolutionary organizations with revolutionary assemblies, congresses, or conventions, and committees of safety at the top. This loosely knit combination of de facto governments superseded the constituted authorities and established firm control over the whole country before the British were in any position to oppose them. The de facto governments took over control of the militia, and out of it began to shape forces that, if the necessity arose, might oppose the British in the field.

that is the structure I propose. The Minnesota alt-convention being our first continental congress.

edit: one more thing, just like the colonist had specific laws they "attacked" we need to focus on attacking specific laws as well. This is how we will get victories under our belts. Its great to inform people of ideology and philosophy, but winning requires action and results. I am a Tampa Bay sports fan. Our teams got no respect until they started winning. The Bucs, The Lightning, and now The Rays. If we want respect, we have to win something (anything).

amy31416
06-19-2008, 12:50 PM
Great post Tarzan.

micahnelson
06-20-2008, 12:51 PM
I think a major benefit would be the sharing of info between local groups. We had some meetups that were very successful in campaigning their districts.

UtahApocalypse
06-20-2008, 01:11 PM
Tarzan, That was a long read.... and worth every word. It articulate quite well a solid thought of what we should strive for, and many points as to get there.

I mist say that point #2

2. Start with a Firm footing... The legal structure of CFL needs to be clarified immediately. Taking donations should be disabled until this all important task has been accomplished. Donated money must be handled in very different manners, depending on the legal setup of CFL. Is it a PAC, a 501c3, a 501c4 or some other entity? This is critical and appears to have not been considered. It demonstrates that professionals at the central level are essential for making proper decisions.

Is a ABSOLUTE. We cannot legally, and should not donate until this is clear. i personally will not donate 1 single cent to the cause until the legal grounds are identified. For one I will not give my money to anyone not knowing who it is, or how it will be used. Secondly I will not risk any legal repercussions if there later is a legal snafu.

MsDoodahs
06-20-2008, 02:04 PM
Your choice, of course.

I don't view it the same way, so I'll be donating.

mport1
06-26-2008, 07:57 PM
bump

MRoCkEd
06-26-2008, 08:16 PM
yeah, its a 501(c)4 which will also be utilizing a PAC

Joseph Hart
06-26-2008, 08:56 PM
I would like to see an active list of elected officials pursuing the movement.