PDA

View Full Version : How many would attend a 1 day Paulitical school in DC July 13th?

tangent4ronpaul
06-18-2008, 11:19 AM
We have a temporary hold on a venue, but before making ourselves liable for thousands of dollars in expenses, we want to know how much interest there is in attending such an event. This is the day after the Revolution March, Sunday.

Dr. Paul has been invited to speak.

Some "name" people have committed to teach.

5 - tracks, all day:

Supporter skills - making banners, buttons, silk screening, canvasing, etc.

Organizer skills - all the steps necessary to recruit, train, plan, and cary out grassroots campaigns.

Running for public office - HowTo for the candidate, campaign manager, campaign finance, etc.

Working with Political committees (GOP, etc) and the delegate process.

Technical track - Broadcasting on Internet radio, setting up call centers, campaign management software, making YouTube video's, etc.

We are also looking for seminar / workshop presenters for some areas.

This will be a great chance to meet people from all over the country!

There will also be entertainment.

Cost should be in the $20-30 range per person and attendance will be limited to about 1,000 people.

So who would be interested in coming?

thanks,

-n

H Roark
06-18-2008, 12:57 PM
If I was in the area, I would absolutely go.

LibertyIn08
06-18-2008, 12:59 PM
Yes.

yongrel
06-18-2008, 12:59 PM
Yes.

SnappleLlama
06-18-2008, 01:18 PM
I would go, but I have to dogsit that day :(

If three dachshunds are allowed, then perhaps we could work something out ;)

Kotin
06-18-2008, 01:23 PM
in a heartbeat.

newyearsrevolution08
06-18-2008, 01:29 PM
Where does the estimated $20k to $30k go that gets paid to the effort? Any transparency on it or does it go to a specific effort after? Just wondering because that seems like an awful lot for a 1 day event.

Other then that it sounds amazing and where do I sign up?

tangent4ronpaul
06-18-2008, 02:24 PM
Where does the estimated $20k to $30k go that gets paid to the effort? Any transparency on it or does it go to a specific effort after? Just wondering because that seems like an awful lot for a 1 day event.

Other then that it sounds amazing and where do I sign up?

We are pricing it so we break even if 500 people show and we don't loose our shirts.

We are still looking at numbers right now, but to give you some idea in the spirit of transparency:

$6,600 facility rental (auditorium, huge multi-purpose room, and 8 classrooms, including one computer classroom)
$1,800 AV rental
$ 400 chair rental
$ 50 an hour mandatory security - don't know how many we will need yet - we submit forum, they tell us. It's $600 per officer, and the chart says at least 4 for 1,000 attendees. Indications are that we may be able to get buy with fewer than 4, but don't know yet.
$ 50 an hour for mandatory convention center staff, setup, cleanup, A/V, etc.
(above 2 lines could be 2-4 thousand $$$)
$ ukn bus charter to provide transportation the 0.5 - 1 mile from the Metro stop to the convention.
$ 400? - stage setup
$ ukn - handouts / reference material

so we are at about $10,000 without paying security, etc.

Above numbers are very rough, but in the ballpark.

If we get 500 people, we will bring in $10,000 - $15,000 That's our break even point.

If we get more than 500 people, we are going to look at providing lunch ($5-10 a plate - we have to use their caterer), paying a small honorarium to presenters and are also considering buying train or airline tickets and hotel for a few, select presenters / speakers that would not normally be in town that day or be able to pay their own way.

Also, when you think of $20-30 being expensive - normally conventions cost hundreds of dollars. It's a 12 hour event! That's under $2-3 an hour. Your getting a bargain!

As to $ going to a specific effort, that gets into some deep FEC ground as it's under a 501(c)4, but extra funds may get donated someplace - but there are legal limits to where it can go. We aren't doing this to make money, and all collected money will be spent on the event or directed to RP projects if there is extra. Still looking into that.

You can't sign up yet, as we only have a hold on the venue and want to make sure it will happen before making ourselves personally liable for a lot of money! - that depends on the response we get here.

-n

kathy88
06-18-2008, 04:20 PM
yes

tangent4ronpaul
06-18-2008, 08:29 PM
I would go, but I have to dogsit that day :(

If three dachshunds are allowed, then perhaps we could work something out ;)

only if they are seeing eye dogs...

-n

asgardshill
06-18-2008, 09:10 PM
Ouch. I've already committed to doing some around-the-city stuff with my cousins who live in DC all day on the 13th. If they can change their scheduling (push it back to Monday), I'll change my No/Maybe to a Maybe/Yes.

SnappleLlama
06-18-2008, 09:13 PM
only if they are seeing eye dogs...

-n

The only things these dogs see is food, unfortunately.

newyearsrevolution08
06-18-2008, 09:36 PM
I need to plan an extended trip then....

Man there are just so many great things going on across this country. I can't wait to see what's next.

Keep the revolution alive!

yaz
06-18-2008, 10:23 PM
yes

amy31416
06-19-2008, 05:02 AM
I would love to, and that is a fantastic bargain for an event like that, but I can't make it to DC. :(

OhioMichael
06-19-2008, 09:20 AM
yes

Mckarnin
06-19-2008, 09:49 AM
bump, this is obviously time sensitive.

tangent4ronpaul
06-19-2008, 01:58 PM
Who else? - 11-24 people is not a great convention!

thanks,

-n

amy31416
06-19-2008, 02:04 PM
Who else? - 11-24 people is not a great convention!

thanks,

-n

Have you posted this on Daily Paul? Perhaps the CFL could make some mention of it?

Good luck, I think it's a great idea.

DealzOnWheelz
06-19-2008, 02:50 PM
CALL ALEX JONES AND GET HIM TO SAY SOMETHING ABOUT IT AND DIRECT THEM TO THIS POL OR YOUR DIRECT EMAIL

You will get a lot more responses

tangent4ronpaul
06-19-2008, 05:08 PM
It's posted on Daily Paul, but I should probably add a link to this thread / poll....

sorry to hear you can't make it, but maybe you could change plans... u know - talk you brother into getting married a different day :D j/k

-n

tangent4ronpaul
06-20-2008, 11:41 AM
We are still looking for interest here...

anyone?

do you want to see this happen?

thanks,

-n

newyearsrevolution08
06-20-2008, 11:47 AM
I would suggest looking OUTSIDE this forum for that answer. If we are the only ones being asked then this will be doomed to fail indeed.

Is there anyone who will be marketing this effort?

Primbs
06-20-2008, 05:10 PM
We are still looking for interest here...

anyone?

do you want to see this happen?

thanks,

-n

We should continue to work on it for a few weeks.

FunkBuddha
06-20-2008, 05:44 PM
I think this is a great idea but I won't be able to make it. I have to drive back to Tennessee on Sunday. Send an email to Lew Rockwell and see if he'll post something.

Conza88
06-20-2008, 09:27 PM
Definitely need to spread the marketing... really. Get it out to the rp radio stations...
Call AJ.. yea, spread it wildly.

EPIC idea.. I wish I could make it.

tangent4ronpaul
06-27-2008, 06:09 PM
I was holding off on following up with this as it was really looking like we were going to have to cancel the conference. Instead we scaled down.

What prompted this is 2 things - first we lost our non-profit umbrella organization because they didn't like the word "Paulitical" and second not enough of you displayed interest. Now it's up to you. We need 166 people to sign up in the next 5-7 days and the school will happen. If not,
well, if it's close enough it will still happen. But the ball is in your court now.

If anyone wants to help with marketing, please PM me and include your e-mail address. Ditto if you are interested in volunteering in other aspects. We especially need people with high grade video camera's/tripods/laptops willing to film for Justin.tv

We will have a website up shortly and a link you can buy tickets from. If the convention happens, we will not be offering refunds. If not, everyone will get a full refund and we will pay the ticket surcharge.

The Wednesday / Thursday (Pre-March) training has been canceled and is being merged with this event.

8 classrooms became 5 and the convention center is giving us an additional discount on them.

We are scaling down the hours to 10-5 rather than 10-10.

We are setting up for a maximum of 600 people instead of 1,000

A/V costs went down significantly and we were able to scale back security.

They are also letting us be non-profit with out a 501(c)whatever.

In short, a $15,000 budget went to $4,000 and we need 166 people at $25 each to break even, not 500 people at $30 each.

So, we are back on - assuming the presenters have not lost interest and will follow through and enough people buy tickets.

That gives us 30 classes / workshops to give at 1 hour each. or 25-35 and 7 hours of speeches / panel discussions and social time.
This seems quite doable, with presenters giving each section more than once for more popular sections.

We have a connection for insurance ($169) and ticketing ($1.49ea surcharge).

So looks like we have a go!

-n

Primbs
06-27-2008, 07:19 PM
In order to keep the movement going, people are going to have to learn these basic and advanced skills from this school.

If you are concerned about freedom, people should sign up for this school.

tangent4ronpaul
06-28-2008, 04:59 PM
OK - so the message I'm getting from the feedback is that you guys really DO NOT want to see this convention/political school happen. Am I reading that correctly?

You don't really want to change the direction this country is going.

Please advise... I'm quite frankly astounded!

I thought we had people that really believed in our cause and would break their backs to make that message resonate through the general populous. I guess not...

How depressing...

-n