PDA

View Full Version : The Freedom Tour nearly died. Literally. Pray for us!! Please!!

RonPaulVolunteer
06-17-2008, 11:31 PM
Probably the most scary thing that has happened in all our lives just happened. Driving through Texas to AZ right now, we drove into a dust storm, possibly a tornado, and it sucked our RV off the road. I had the steering wheel past a 90 degree turn just to keep us going straight. We all thought we were going to die. Literally. We are parked right up alongside a building right now waiting for the winds to die down, and it looks like it is.

We have had SO MANY things happening trying to stop us from doing these concerts. It's more than a little suspicious.

Please keep us in your prayers.

UPDATE 1:00am: We now have SEVERE storm conditions, torrential rain, higher winds, and on the radio it says we should expect baseball sized hail and 80mph winds until 5am. It's now 1am here.

UPDATE 1:29am: We are parked with a bunch of other semis that have pulled over too. You can see the satellite image here: http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=MAF&product=NTP&overlay=11101111&loop=yes We are stopped right on the "B" of Big Spring. It's going to get a lot worse over the next couple of hours.

The lightning show though is out of this world. None of us have seen anything like this... Everything is lit up as bright as day.

It is passing right over the top of us...

http://freedomtour.tv/files/page2_blog_entry32_1.png

UPDATE 3:04am: The rain almost stopped and the wind vanished, so we pushed ahead to Odessa. We ended up driving back into the storm, but it was nowhere near as severe as in Big Spring. The lighting was intense. Never seen anything like it, and it was striking very VERY close all around us, but it was very beautiful too. I love nature.

We have stopped now at IHOP in Odessa. We're grabbing 2 hours sleep, a pancake or 6 and then I'll have to keep driving again to make our Phoenix gig in time. We're playing at San Tan Flat and it's going to be huge! Spread the word all day!!

Andrew-Austin
06-17-2008, 11:35 PM
Well just think you've survived a tornado so now you will be ready for anything...

Glad your interweb connection remained solid despite the tornado winds of doom.

DirtMcGirt
06-17-2008, 11:42 PM
Wow, that's insane... You need to drive by sedona AZ and get some power crystals... power crystals= good mojo

ronpaulhawaii
06-17-2008, 11:46 PM
You're in my prayers, I know the winds on that road well.

No hurry, no worry

yongrel
06-17-2008, 11:47 PM
And you laughed when they called "Twister" a horror movie...

pinkmandy
06-17-2008, 11:49 PM
:eek:

Please be careful and stay safe!

amy31416
06-17-2008, 11:50 PM
Yikes. Amazing that you can get an internet signal in those circumstances.

RonPaulVolunteer
06-18-2008, 12:07 AM
Yikes. Amazing that you can get an internet signal in those circumstances.

I have a 3G card in my laptop.

We now have SEVERE storm conditions, torrential rain, higher winds, and on the radio it says we should expect baseball sized hail and 80mph winds until 5am. It's now 1am here.

AdamT
06-18-2008, 12:07 AM
Wow. Glad you guys are OK. Stay safe out there.

pinkmandy
06-18-2008, 12:08 AM
OMG! Are you guys still in the RV? Can you get a hotel tonight? That doesn't sound safe.

IPSecure
06-18-2008, 12:11 AM
http://weather.weatherbug.com/

asgardshill
06-18-2008, 12:14 AM
Find a big, sturdy bridge or substantial structure to park under until the thing blows over. Even a car wash might provide some protection. I'd rather be alone on foot than driving a high-profile vehicle like an RV in those conditions.

DirtMcGirt
06-18-2008, 12:16 AM
stay safe, stay calm, and pull out the guitar a use your energy to write a song, "What a long strange trip its been" New twist to Jerry's song

My prayers are with you.

amy31416
06-18-2008, 12:18 AM
Find a big, sturdy bridge or substantial structure to park under until the thing blows over. Even a car wash might provide some protection. I'd rather be alone on foot than driving a high-profile vehicle like an RV in those conditions.

I like to think I know good advice when I see it--and this seems to qualify. Use the internet to find the closest bridge.

edit: of course, driving in those conditions can be pretty dangerous too. Be careful.

asgardshill
06-18-2008, 12:23 AM
I like to think I know good advice when I see it--and this seems to qualify. Use the internet to find the closest bridge.

IMO, the best advice would be to park the thing somewhere secure (like Fort Knox or Cheyenne Mountain maybe), put up your feet for the night in a big sturdy hotel, and fill up the hot tub with some local talent. As somebody whose father was a truck driver and who has spent my own time on the road, I can assure you that no load or gig is worth killing yourself or your passengers to try to make.

RonPaulVolunteer
06-18-2008, 12:26 AM
We are parked with a bunch of other semis that have pulled over too.

You can see the satellite image here: http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=MAF&product=NTP&overlay=11101111&loop=yes

We are stopped right on the "B" of Big Spring. It's going to get a lot worse over the next couple of hours.

asgardshill
06-18-2008, 12:31 AM
Good call. Truckers are smart that way - they'll usually make the right decision. I think you've made the right decision too - ride it out and stay near people. Godspeed to you.

Suzu
06-18-2008, 12:37 AM
I hope you're in between a couple of big trucks! Is there any way to protect your windshield? If you're not between two trucks, don't sleep near any windows.

Please keep us posted!

RonPaulVolunteer
06-18-2008, 12:47 AM
It's passing right over us...

amy31416
06-18-2008, 12:55 AM
When I wake up tomorrow morning, you guys better be okay or I'll be pissed off--and you do not want that.

Seriously, hope everything turns out okay.

asgardshill
06-18-2008, 12:59 AM
It's passing right over us...

That storm must be moving East like a big dog - its changed a lot from the NWS radar product you linked to earlier. I see another cluster forming up WSW of Midland though - if it keeps moving your way, you might get hit one more time later on.

nayjevin
06-18-2008, 01:02 AM
I rubbed my buddha for you.

What a long strange trip it's been
Hail, Rain, and Wind
What a long strange trip it's been
Head up, we will win

newyearsrevolution08
06-18-2008, 01:03 AM
be safe.....

it is better to be safe then on time.

asgardshill
06-18-2008, 01:12 AM
Local forecast for that part of West Texas shows high winds are expected for the rest of the week. High winds and temps in the high 90s. So even if the storm passes, take it easy driving out there.

pacelli
06-18-2008, 01:23 AM
The damned sacrifices you are making for liberty, it sounds like there was some divine intervention with the avoidance of that twister. You guys must feel like you're in the middle of a war. You will prevail. Just bunker down and keep your powder dry.

durden0
06-18-2008, 01:29 AM
Hang in there, keep your spirits up there, know that the revolution is behind you guys and we have you in our thoughts.

RonPaulVolunteer
06-18-2008, 02:02 AM
The rain almost stopped and the wind vanished, so we pushed ahead to Odessa. We ended up driving back into the storm, but it was nowhere near as severe as in Big Spring. The lighting was intense. Never seen anything like it, and it was striking very VERY close all around us, but it was very beautiful too. I love nature.

We have stopped now at IHOP in Odessa. We're grabbing 2 hours sleep, a pancake or 6 and then I'll have to keep driving again to make our Phoenix gig in time. We're playing at San Tan Flat and it's going to be huge! Spread the word all day!!

nayjevin
06-18-2008, 02:23 AM
We have stopped now at IHOP in Odessa.ARE THEY HAVING THE STUFFED FRENCH TOAST SPECIAL! omg i miss that... try it if you get the chance. the blueberry is to die for.

love you guys, stay safe and warm.

I'm so glad it sounds like the weather is less hectic, but i think the words of caution previously in this thread have merit.

and play a zeppelin cover for me! (what is and what should never be)

Catch the wind, see us spin
Sail away, leave the day
Way up high in the sky
And whoa, but the wind won't blow
You really shouldn't go
It only goes to show
That you will be mine
By takin' our time, ooohh, oh

And if you say to me tomorrow
Oh, what fun it all will be
Then what's to stop us, pretty baby
But what is and what should never be

A-catch the wind, see us spin
Sail away, leave the day
Way up high in the sky
You really shouldn't go
It only goes to show
That you will be mine
By takin' our time, ooohh

(Guitar Solo)

...leave the day
Way up high in the sky
But the wind won't blow
You really shouldn't go
It only goes to show
That you will be mine
By takin' our time

So, if you wake up with the sunrise
And all your dreams are still as new
And happiness is what you need so bad
Girl, it's a loss in you, yeah

Catch the wind, see us spin
Sail away, leave the day
Way up high in the sky
You really shouldn't go
It only goes to show
That you will be mine
By takin' our time, ooohh

speciallyblend
06-18-2008, 05:08 AM
prayers are with you,get to colorado we will protect you in the mtns:) looking forward to meeting you guys and gals in boulder, we are doing our best to get word out for you here in Colorado:)

keep up the good fight:) look forward to shaking your hand:) kenny

SnappleLlama
06-18-2008, 06:13 AM
Come on, guys...freedom NEVER dies! ;)

constituent
06-18-2008, 06:27 AM
The rain almost stopped and the wind vanished, so we pushed ahead to Odessa. We ended up driving back into the storm, but it was nowhere near as severe as in Big Spring. The lighting was intense. Never seen anything like it, and it was striking very VERY close all around us, but it was very beautiful too. I love nature.

welcome to texas!

acptulsa
06-18-2008, 06:31 AM
Now you know what weather is. This part of the nation has the most majestic storms of all. Unfortunately, they are also the most deadly. I love them--but I usually enjoy them from the deep front porch of a house with a basement.

Glad you made it through. Also glad you enjoyed it (at least on some level). Under bridges is pretty good. I wouldn't trust a car wash or the company of semis. They are good wind breaks, yes, but there's too much heavy stuff that can get blown down on your head. If you ever find yourself in such a situation, your best bet is to park by a business so you can go running inside in the event you hear that "freight train sound" that indicates a tornado is bearing down on you. Failing that, park by a ditch or culvert. Just as trenches gave troops some protection from shell blasts in WWI, it will give you some protection from sideways winds. Getting below ground is best, a small room with good walls is good, a culvert is both.

Man! What an adventure! Wish I was with you...

acptulsa
06-18-2008, 06:39 AM
welcome to texas!

Y'all come back now, y'hear? And stop by Oklahoma and find out how beautiful the natives are...

Shortly after posting my tornado tips the same storm described by the OP popped a transformer and blinked the power. I guess we'll see shortly if this storm sends us locals running for cover, too. Yes, it is a pretty good one. Seen worse, though.

RonPaulVolunteer
06-18-2008, 07:39 AM
Well, we are on our way again, and running late because of the storm hold up.

acptulsa
06-18-2008, 07:42 AM
Well, we are on our way again, and running late because of the storm hold up.

Never get in a hurry in an RV. They aren't designed for it.

speciallyblend
06-18-2008, 07:44 AM
Ron Paul Volunteer, i imed you about some comp rooms in colorado depending on what direction your coming from(when you come to boulder) you can crash in frisco colorado(i 70 corridor mtns),just contact me

acptulsa
06-18-2008, 07:52 AM
Ron Paul Volunteer, i imed you about some comp rooms in colorado depending on what direction your coming from(when you come to boulder) you can crash in frisco colorado(i 70 corridor mtns),just contact me

Frisco, Colorado? RPV, this guy is offering you a crash spot in one of the most beautiful places on the face of the whole wide world. I can't afford to go there just because I tend to go through a roll of film an hour. Go!

Jeremy
06-18-2008, 08:52 AM
Scary....

Well look at the bright side, this will be great for Freedom Tour TV.... unless he's not recording it =o

JoshLowry
06-18-2008, 09:13 AM
Wow, glad to hear that you made it out ok.

You guys are having quite a trip. Drive safe!

RonPaulVolunteer
06-19-2008, 02:39 AM
We made it to Phoenix in one piece. Played a great show for the people there. I am now uploading our videos for the last few days. We did not have time or fast Internet to be able to upload them, so there's 3 new ones on our YouTube channel. http://www.youtube.com/user/freedomtourtv

Roxi
06-19-2008, 03:16 AM
glad you made it, and glad i didn't see this til now so i didn't have to lose sleep over it... and if i had seen it before now i would have said: parking under an overpass can be very dangerous in a tornado... the wind can suck you up to the top and then drop you back down...

keep on truckin!

(in the spirit of jerry)

speciallyblend
06-19-2008, 08:39 AM
glad you made it, and glad i didn't see this til now so i didn't have to lose sleep over it... and if i had seen it before now i would have said: parking under an overpass can be very dangerous in a tornado... the wind can suck you up to the top and then drop you back down...

keep on truckin!

(in the spirit of jerry)

come here ,uncle john's band ________ another song?? keep it going dead heads (in the spirit of jerry;)

constituent
06-19-2008, 09:49 AM
come here ,uncle john's band ________ another song?? keep it going dead heads (in the spirit of jerry;)

row, jimmy row.

acptulsa
06-19-2008, 09:54 AM
"And the kids they dance and shake their bones
"And the politicians throwing stones
"'Cause it's all to clear we're on our own
"Singing ashes ashes all fall down
"Ashes ashes all fall down."

The blue ball is dizzy with eternity. Can we ensure it another eternity? We'd better--we are on our own.

Aratus
06-19-2008, 10:07 AM

Good Luck! i hope nothing tops the previous 48 hours! i hope thats to be the hairiest story you will tell your grandchildren about
the election of 2008 and Ron Paul!