08-26-2007, 03:54 PM
http://www.politico.com/blogs/jonathanmartin/0807/Fred_Sober_and_Serious.html

Shink
08-26-2007, 04:09 PM
Gonna puke.

dircha
08-26-2007, 04:17 PM
http://www.politico.com/blogs/jonathanmartin/0807/Fred_Sober_and_Serious.html

For me the real question with Thompson, and this is the question I pose to libertarian leaning conservatives: is this the man that we can count on to strike down the Patriot Act, to stop the illegal violation of our Constitutional rights, to put an end to unprecedented government secrecy, to put an end to police state propaganda, to stand up to the military industrial complex, to get us out of the UN, the WTO, and NAFTA, to stand up for the right of every citizen to keep and bear arms, ...or is Thompson the man we can count on to pick up where George W Bush and Dick Cheney left off?

And I think the answer has to be that Thompson is the man who will pick up right where George W Bush left off. That is why he has overwhelming insider backing. That is why a Thompson presidency is more frightening than anything else.

Keith
08-26-2007, 04:51 PM
Comment added. I wonder if it will appear on the page.

Paul-O-Holic
08-26-2007, 04:59 PM
"I don't think the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution of the United States are outmoded documents," Thompson declared, finally giving the crowd something to clap about after the gloomy bill of particulars was laid out. Federalism or devolving power to the states would help, he said. Also, the rule of law, the market economy, respect for private property, free trade and competition came in for praise — hardly dangerous ground among conservative activists."

Fred Thompson, among many other things, voted for the minimum wage in 1996. If he really believes in the Constitution and states' rights, then why would he vote to federally impose a minimum wage on all states? I can't seem to find that authorization anywhere in the Constitution.

This is something I've found very useful at changing republican's perspective of Thompson. I'll ask them, "What do you think about Pelosi and the Democrats raising the minimum wage, shouldn't there be no such thing as a minimum wage?"

And when they say "Yes, there shouldn't be a minimum wage," I ask why they support Fred Thomspon. When they look at me confused I say, "Well, just like Pelosi and the Democrats, he voted to increase the minimum wage in 1996."

Thompson is eventually going to enter the race, so I suggest everyone familiarize yourself with his voting record by reading this:

http://www.conservativesbetrayed.com/gw3/articles-latestnews/articles.php?CMSArticleID=1827&CMSCategoryID=19

Turn the questions on them. Don't say, Fred voted for this and that. First ask them do they believe the federal government should be involved in that area, and when they say "no," tell them that Fred Thompson thinks the answer is "yes."

V-rod
08-26-2007, 05:35 PM
Fred, you have no chance on winning a national election, just retire already for gods sake

Alabama Supporter
08-26-2007, 06:10 PM
He would be an easier candidate to beat than Newt. I hope he does OK when he enters the race so that holds Newt out for a while.

Paulitician
08-26-2007, 06:32 PM
Wow, if I learned anything from reading those comments it's that people can be as dumb as dirt.

Thatguyuknow
08-26-2007, 07:01 PM
Wow, if I learned anything from reading those comments it's that people can be as dumb as dirt.

If you get that from reading those comments, then I beg you not to read the comments posted on youtube's "political" videos on a regular basis. Good god I've never seen anything like it.

Zydeco
08-26-2007, 08:27 PM
I'd prefer facing Thompson to Gingrich, although I don't view either as much of a threat. Thompson doesn't even want to run and isn't very smart, while everything candidate Gingrich might claim he wants to do can be countered with, "Why didn't you do that from 1995-99?"

Broadlighter
08-26-2007, 08:36 PM
Fred Thompson is sounding more and more like the Texas governor in the "Best Little Whorehouse In Texas." 'Watch me while I do a little side-step.'

Why is anyone giving this guy any consideration?