PDA

View Full Version : Can we create a truly mainstream media corporation?

silus
06-17-2008, 06:59 PM
Over the past year we have had the chance to observe much about our media. The accelerated, pressured environment of a presidential race also exposed the true nature of politicians, candidates, supporters, journalists and pundits. We had a chance to look into the soul of this very nation, and it was a bit disturbing.

From my point of view, it is not about a political party or a certain candidate. It is the system that must be influenced, and those who have become dependent upon it. We must ally ourselves with the common man and woman; position ourselves as a widely relied upon source. This requires an infiltration of sorts into the current state of news media. Which means, at least initially, avoiding certain "fringe" topics that may otherwise be important to you and me.

I have heard the term "Back to the Constitution" used. So now I propose that we go Back to Proper News Journalism. This is not about Ron Paul or any certain political agenda. This is about re-defining the status-quo. This is about avoiding underlying motives and creating an environment where truth might present itself, gaining a foothold into the mainstream American consciousness. As Abraham Lincoln once said, "I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts."

I put forth this possibility: a news media company that appears to function no differently than any other. One that has the potential to become mainstream. The difference being its lack of significant dependency, its principled approach to the journalism art, and its dedication to influence the aspiring journalist. It is easy to deliver news in times of tranquility, but when called upon in times of conflict, then you will learn who maintains the objective of delivering the facts, regardless of where they may lead. The American people deserve this unaligned, independent, mainstream source.

This must be accomplished.

Truth Warrior
06-18-2008, 05:34 AM
How much money do you have?

nayjevin
06-18-2008, 05:55 AM
you write quite well yourself, silus. Ron Paul Newspaper, Freedom's Ground, and Break the Matrix all have similar aspirations, I think -- I would contact them first and see what the state of things is.

acptulsa
06-18-2008, 06:49 AM
I agree that this is a worthwhile and laudable goal. The idea gives me a bunch of mixed feelings.

Would we look to the future and go all 'net, or are we trying to expand beyond our stronghold? Is investing in television and/or newsprint the least bit wise, or would it just put us in a position to be driven under by a less community-minded but more profitable company?

Would we try to do this from the ground up, or would we buy a controlling interest in an existing company? If the latter, how would we coordinate secretly so Wall Street doesn't drive the price up beyond what we can afford? I don't know if that's possible. Buying would be quicker than building, but would cause us to inherit and existing structure that may or may not be down with our agenda.

How do we ensure that us poor folks are making a sound investment even though the news business doesn't run the highest margins in the business world? Can we keep it propped up until the quality shines through and it builds up a loyal "readership"?

I love this idea, but if we don't have the logistics down we're setting ourselves up for a fall. I'm anxious to hear thoughts on this.

Truth Warrior
06-18-2008, 06:55 AM
I agree that this is a worthwhile and laudable goal. The idea gives me a bunch of mixed feelings.

Would we look to the future and go all 'net, or are we trying to expand beyond our stronghold? Is investing in television and/or newsprint the least bit wise, or would it just put us in a position to be driven under by a less community-minded but more profitable company?

Would we try to do this from the ground up, or would we buy a controlling interest in an existing company? If the latter, how would we coordinate secretly so Wall Street doesn't drive the price up beyond what we can afford? I don't know if that's possible. Buying would be quicker than building, but would cause us to inherit and existing structure that may or may not be down with our agenda.

How do we ensure that us poor folks are making a sound investment even though the news business doesn't run the highest margins in the business world? Can we keep it propped up until the quality shines through and it builds up a loyal "readership"?

I love this idea, but if we don't have the logistics down we're setting ourselves up for a fall. I'm anxious to hear thoughts on this.

Thought: BAD IDEA! What is the CFL?

acptulsa
06-18-2008, 07:13 AM
Thought: BAD IDEA! What is the CFL?

Certainly a risky one, and a lot of work. What is the CFL? Is this a rhetorical question? Certainly not a fully staffed international news gathering agency.

Truth Warrior
06-18-2008, 07:16 AM
Certainly a risky one, and a lot of work. What is the CFL? Is this a rhetorical question? Certainly not a fully staffed international news gathering agency.
Rhetorical question? NOPE!

Ah, like the MSM, I see. ;)

acptulsa
06-18-2008, 07:18 AM
Ah, like the MSM, I see. ;)

Well--not exactly, no. I think the OP's idea was like the MSM should be.

But, yes, you get the idea.

micahnelson
06-18-2008, 07:19 AM
I believe Sun Tzu taught us to use the strength of our enemies as weakness, and our weaknesses as strength.

We shouldn't try to be a multinational mainstream news source. We can, however, direct the media by having eyes and ears literally everywhere. The media must send camera crews and reporters. We can be much more agile and have less to lose from making a mistake.

Any pro liberty news source should focus on pictures, video, audio, and facts. If we can get a compelling story with a picture drudge or other blogs may pick it up. That forces the mainstream media to carry our water.

We can't be the owner of the ship, but we can definitely put our hand on the rudder.

Truth Warrior
06-18-2008, 07:21 AM
Well--not exactly, no. I think the OP's idea was like the MSM should be.

But, yes, you get the idea.

Anything like National Review, Reason or Human Events? :D

acptulsa
06-18-2008, 07:34 AM
We can't be the owner of the ship, but we can definitely put our hand on the rudder.

There's a lot to your ideas. We seem to be proving that it can be done. I've seen the MSM reluctantly react to our input this year. After twenty years of the monolith freezing the libertarian minded out, it is nice!

silus
06-18-2008, 05:10 PM
I believe Sun Tzu taught us to use the strength of our enemies as weakness, and our weaknesses as strength.

We shouldn't try to be a multinational mainstream news source. We can, however, direct the media by having eyes and ears literally everywhere. The media must send camera crews and reporters. We can be much more agile and have less to lose from making a mistake.

Any pro liberty news source should focus on pictures, video, audio, and facts. If we can get a compelling story with a picture drudge or other blogs may pick it up. That forces the mainstream media to carry our water.

As Ron Paul has demonstrated, an individual is most powerful when being guided by stable principles and philosophies. What you support is a reaction approach, constantly scanning, trying to respond to any possible threat. I dont judge this approach, but I dont think this alone is a recipe for success.

To again reiterate the point. This is not about "having a hand on the rudder" or being a "counter-influence" to the msm. The point is to create a comprehensive news media outlet, and NOT to support Ron Paul or any specific agenda. This is about true journalism. The enemy is marginalization, the goal is to be widely accepted and to eventually fragment the monopoly.

Significant events are going to come to pass once more, and so there must be a trusted, established body that can be depended on to properly inform the public. Again, there is no "we" involved in this. This is about re-establishing journalistic principles, offering competition to the current monopoly.

HOLLYWOOD
06-18-2008, 10:49 PM
Paramont in the Media Business is the FCC licensing of frequencies to transmit your TV and/or Radio broadcast.

The FCC puts these up for auction, well you can image, the Mega MSM Media Conglomerates, bid the prices up so high, noone but the few majors OWN IT ALL!

Then they Ditty Up the Market amongst themselves and maintain this stranglehold over small media and the listener/viewers. Just like Firestone, General Motors and the Oil Companies did around the country to MASS TRANSIT. Propaganda and DICTATORSHIP at it's finest, and the government is just as much to blame, then again, they are owned, by the Lobbyists and Corporations!

silus
06-19-2008, 12:00 AM
Interesting. So tell me if this is correct. Even if you are a multi-millionaire, you couldnt start up your own news channel??? Surely there must be some way. Can you give me some link that discusses all this in greater detail?

Primbs
06-19-2008, 12:39 AM
The radio spectrum is not used up in rural areas. I think the internet is the wave of the future.

Satellite TV and radio offer extra channels.

Pauls' Revere
06-19-2008, 01:12 AM

Could it use one? "This is CFL News!" I'm ________ .

How about start small and work up. use the Ron Paul you tube and see where that takes you and see how it works out. I believe alot of the network is already set up and plenty of online tech help willing and able to help. A table, a backdrop, mic and camera, go for it! people can send in articles and links pics, vids, whatever to it and can be seen. Sounds cool. Make it part of CFL and it's a bonus!

p.s. I personally would like to see a study of the US Constitution. i.e. week 1: we study Article 1: and discuss it in length and learn together what it means to each of us. Do this for each article/ammenment and I think we would all be better educated and understood.

cbc58
06-19-2008, 03:15 PM
The internet might be the great equalizer in the long run....