PDA

View Full Version : Return of the Censors by Patrick J. Buchanan

Cowlesy
06-17-2008, 06:17 PM
http://www.vdare.com/asp/printPage.asp?url=http://www.vdare.com/buchanan/080616_censors.htm

The trial is before a court with the Orwellian title of the British Columbia Human Rights Tribunal. The accused are Maclean's magazine and author Mark Steyn. The crime: In mocking and biting tones, they wrote that Islam threatens Western values.

Had Steyn written that, given the Crusades, colonial atrocities in Africa and the slave trade, Christianity had been on balance a curse, he would not be in the dock. In the United States, these charges would have been tossed out by any federal judge, who would have admonished the plaintiffs that, here in America, we have a First Amendment.

The United States, however, is an isolated exception, as Western nations seek to impose wider restrictions on what has come to be called "hate speech."

Questioning the Holocaust is a crime in Canada and Europe, as British historian David Irving discovered when he was sentenced to prison in Austria. To say the Armenian massacres of 1915-1924 were an attempt at genocide is a crime in Turkey.

In France, animal rights champion Brigitte Bardot has been fined $23,000 for provoking discrimination and racial hatred by denouncing Muslims who slaughtered a sheep in a religious ceremony. Bardot had been punished five previous times for her statements.

Censorship is making a comeback. Outside the United States, it is considered an acceptable price to pay for the new diversity Western Man seems now to value more than the old liberty.

Read the rest at the link above....

...we need to defend free speech at any cost.
:mad:

AmericaFyeah92
06-17-2008, 07:29 PM
If it offends people, you know there's some truth to it.

Buchanan is one of those guys i wanna high-five half the time and slap the other half, but i've come to admire his candor and his refusal to be PC

Cowlesy
06-17-2008, 07:56 PM
The more I hear from Pat, the more I like him. I bought his book this evening and hope to read it by the end of the month.