PDA

View Full Version : Liberty defender polling 24% in GE Senate race

AJ Antimony
06-16-2008, 10:03 PM
I posted this in the "Ron Paul Candidates" board too, but am reposting here for more exposure.

http://wcco.com/local/ventura.senate.race.2.748001.html

A friend of liberty and removing the bullshit from Washington is running for US Senate.

In a new Rasmussen poll, in a general election contest between the Republican, the Democrat, and this Independent, the Republican is at 39%, the Democrat is at 32% and the Independent is at 24%

Yes, a genuine liberty minded candidate is currently polling 24% in a general election contest as an Independent!

And what makes this even more exciting is this Independent still has not declared his candidacy!

The Republican is Norm Coleman. The Democrat is Al Franken. The Independent is Jesse Ventura!

If Ventura actually enters this race and starts campaigning, he has a great shot at winning. Amazing... 24% as an undeclared Independent...

Kotin
06-16-2008, 10:08 PM
I hope he runs. he will win.

he could have been President, but he is either too lazy or scared to do it..

but he will be an ally in the Senate.

and then if there are elections in 2012, he might run.

I would prefer Sanford for POTUS, personally.

AJ Antimony
06-16-2008, 10:17 PM

He might run in 2012 if he loses this Senate race. If he ends up winning, then I don't think he'd abandon his 1st term to run for president in 2012. He's 56 years old, not too bad.

Jeremy
06-16-2008, 10:17 PM
i hope he runs

Ozwest
06-16-2008, 10:18 PM
Considering that Al Franken has been campaigning for the past three years...

That would be a most satisfactory slap - down.

AJ Antimony
06-16-2008, 10:20 PM
Considering that Al Franken has been campaigning for the past three years...

That would be a most satisfactory slap - down.

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure he never envisioned Ventura entering the race. I'd take Franken over a typical politician any day of the week though. He's at least quite honest.

Ozwest
06-16-2008, 10:38 PM
Yeah, but I'm pretty sure he never envisioned Ventura entering the race. I'd take Franken over a typical politician any day of the week though. He's at least quite honest.

I kind of agree.

Still...

He's a little bit too "smooth" for my taste.

James Madison
06-16-2008, 10:43 PM

Forget about Sanford. He was at Bilderberg a few weeks back.

Kotin
06-16-2008, 11:33 PM
Forget about Sanford. He was at Bilderberg a few weeks back.

but who knows what that means??

I'll admit I am also suspicious about that...

he seems great

but still you may be right..

AJ Antimony
06-17-2008, 12:02 AM
but who knows what that means??

I'll admit I am also suspicious about that...

he seems great

but still you may be right..

Forgive me.. who is this Sanford fellow?

james1844
06-17-2008, 12:06 AM
Run Jessie Run. I hope he gets elected and gives washington a big enema.

Kotin
06-17-2008, 12:27 AM
Forgive me.. who is this Sanford fellow?

I am referring to Mark Sanford, Governor of South Carolina.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Sanford

RevolutionSD
06-17-2008, 12:30 AM
Ventura is no libertarian but at least pot would be legal and he could kick some neocon/neolib ass!

acroso
06-17-2008, 02:21 AM
I oppose Ventura's candidacy because he doesn't respect judicial independence and supports Obama\McCain's amnesty position.

I'd never vote for the guy.

AJ Antimony
06-17-2008, 11:23 AM
I am referring to Mark Sanford, Governor of South Carolina.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Sanford

What about him? Did people here think he's a RP guy?

MRoCkEd
06-17-2008, 11:30 AM
Wow. I really hope he runs - t'would be a big win for the revolution.

Ventura is no libertarian but at least pot would be legal and he could kick some neocon/neolib ass!
He seems pretty libertarian to me (he considers himself fiscally conservative and socially liberal)- read his book and watch some of his interviews
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=search_videos&search_query=jesse+ventura&search_sort=relevance&search_category=0&page=

Kotin
06-17-2008, 12:01 PM
What about him? Did people here think he's a RP guy?

yes.

he is seen as a libertarian leaning conservative.

he said no to Real ID etc..

AndyWhite
06-17-2008, 02:07 PM
I really wish I could talk to Ventura so I could beg him to run. Anyone know his email address?

AJ Antimony
06-17-2008, 03:09 PM
I really wish I could talk to Ventura so I could beg him to run. Anyone know his email address?

He probably will run

http://www.independentpoliticalreport.com/2008/06/jesse-ventura-almost-set-to-run/

AJ Antimony
06-17-2008, 03:10 PM
yes.

he is seen as a libertarian leaning conservative.

he said no to Real ID etc..

And now they don't anymore because he's now for McCain and he went to that Bildeburg thing?

aspiringconstitutionalist
06-17-2008, 03:24 PM
Jesse Ventura is NO constitutionalist, nor is he a libertarian.

Here are some of Ventura's statements regarding the Constitution:

"The Constitution reads more like a mission statement than an instruction manual. It’s full of 'majestic generalities,'; it sketches the broad principles and leaves the details up to us. That way, it’s flexible enough to adapt to changing times."

"You’ll often hear politicians & lawyers talking about interpreting the Constitution in terms of 'getting back to the Founding Fathers’ original intent.' But you know what? We can’t. The Constitution is such an open-ended framework that even in their time it had to be interpreted."

He's pro-choice, pro-affirmative action, he was pro-tax payer funded public health care in Minnesota (although I believe he's against it on a federal level), weak on immigration, and pro-ethanol subsidies.

He has libertarian leanings on a smattering of issues, but he's hardly philosophically grounded. That being said, I'd still rather see Ventura in the Senate than Coleman or (heaven forbid) Franken, but I don't trust Ventura enough to see the benefit of putting the weight of the Revolution behind his campaign. I say we support the philosophically coherent liberty candidates and let whatever happens happen in regards to the MN Senate race.

AJ Antimony
06-17-2008, 05:11 PM
Jesse Ventura is NO constitutionalist, nor is he a libertarian.

Here are some of Ventura's statements regarding the Constitution:

"The Constitution reads more like a mission statement than an instruction manual. It’s full of 'majestic generalities,'; it sketches the broad principles and leaves the details up to us. That way, it’s flexible enough to adapt to changing times."

"You’ll often hear politicians & lawyers talking about interpreting the Constitution in terms of 'getting back to the Founding Fathers’ original intent.' But you know what? We can’t. The Constitution is such an open-ended framework that even in their time it had to be interpreted."

He's pro-choice, pro-affirmative action, he was pro-tax payer funded public health care in Minnesota (although I believe he's against it on a federal level), weak on immigration, and pro-ethanol subsidies.

He has libertarian leanings on a smattering of issues, but he's hardly philosophically grounded. That being said, I'd still rather see Ventura in the Senate than Coleman or (heaven forbid) Franken, but I don't trust Ventura enough to see the benefit of putting the weight of the Revolution behind his campaign. I say we support the philosophically coherent liberty candidates and let whatever happens happen in regards to the MN Senate race.

I'm pretty sure the founding fathers intentionally left the Constitution as vague as it is so future generations could interpret it how they saw fit. The problem comes from the fact that they assumed Americans would maintain intelligent and well informed about politics and they would never allow the Constitution to be ripped apart.

Unfortunately all theories of freedom--societies and markets--are all built on the single factor that people are smart and informed. When the people lose their brain and balls, the entire theory collapses on itself. That is what has been happening for a hundred years now. The people are getting dumber and thus freedoms are disappearing.

I don't understand your purpose with his quotes if you're trying to make him look bad. Those quotes are him telling us what the Constitution is... vague. He's not suggesting how to interpret the Constitution. He isn't saying to interpret it loosely or strictly. I bet Ron Paul agrees with Ventura that the Constitution is vague... only difference is Paul actively advocates interpreting it strictly.

As for Ventura's Senate run, this may be as good as it gets. He's a liberty minded candidate but he's not Ron Paul. "Socially liberal, fiscally conservative" as Ventura says. For wanting to elect liberty minded candidates to Congress, Ventura may be as good a chance as we get... at least here in 2008.

asgardshill
06-17-2008, 05:25 PM
"GE" Senate race? I know the megacorporations have legislators wrapped around their little fingers, but I didn't know they had their own Senate seats too!

MRoCkEd
06-17-2008, 05:46 PM
"GE" Senate race? I know the megacorporations have legislators wrapped around their little fingers, but I didn't know they had their own Senate seats too!
probably general election
the state is MN

literatim
06-17-2008, 05:52 PM
I'm pretty sure the founding fathers intentionally left the Constitution as vague as it is so future generations could interpret it how they saw fit. The problem comes from the fact that they assumed Americans would maintain intelligent and well informed about politics and they would never allow the Constitution to be ripped apart.

No they didn't. Hell they even released a dictionary so you would know exactly what they meant.

asgardshill
06-17-2008, 05:52 PM
probably general election
the state is MN

Yup. That makes sense.

PlzPeopleWakeUp
06-17-2008, 05:54 PM
nt

MRoCkEd
06-17-2008, 06:00 PM
Jesse won't need campaign money.

He has people like me that will make sure he wins.

LET'S DO THIS JIM JANOS!
That's Governor James George Janos to you.
http://www.prisonplanet.com/images/july2005/010705ventura.jpg

But yeah. Jesse for senate!

AJ Antimony
06-17-2008, 06:48 PM
No they didn't. Hell they even released a dictionary so you would know exactly what they meant.

Who did this in particular?

RevolutionSD
06-17-2008, 08:07 PM
I oppose Ventura's candidacy because he doesn't respect judicial independence and supports Obama\McCain's amnesty position.

I'd never vote for the guy.

Do you have a link that says he supports amnesty? I think you're wrong on this.

AJ Antimony
06-17-2008, 10:12 PM
Do you have a link that says he supports amnesty? I think you're wrong on this.

Watch his CNN interviews on Youtube

MRoCkEd
06-18-2008, 05:33 AM
Watch his CNN interviews on Youtube
He said he doesn't want a border fence - but does want companies who hire illegals to be punished. he never said amnesty

TrueFreedom
06-18-2008, 05:48 AM
So now Jesse Ventura passes as a Ron Paul- style candidate around here. Interesting.

http://www.ontheissues.org/Jesse_Ventura.htm

More federal funding for all aspects of Drug War. (Aug 2000)

Gay domestic partnership OK; not gay marriage. (Jul 2000)

Keep abortion legal on privacy grounds. (Jul 2000)

Federal funds & state involvement in fatherhood initiatives. (Aug 2001)

Subsidize ethanol like we subsidize oil. (Jul 2000)

Strongly pro-union; and a union member. (Jan 1999)

Replace income tax with 15% national sales tax. (Jan 1999)

Social programs should be a safety net, not a hammock. (Jul 2000)

Sounds just like Ron Paul. :rolleyes: I don't know why everyone is so hyped up on this guy, he really shares few of the views that Ron Paul does.

MRoCkEd
06-18-2008, 06:01 AM
So now Jesse Ventura passes as a Ron Paul- style candidate around here. Interesting.

Sounds just like Ron Paul. :rolleyes: I don't know why everyone is so hyped up on this guy, he really shares few of the views that Ron Paul does.
Don't know the source - but he has said in all the interviews i've watched of him that the drug war is a complete failure and that we should legalize drugs (and prostitution). Gay marriage - he says the government should not recognize marriage.

I don't know, I read his book and have watched his recent interviews. He sounds very similar to RP. The main differences are abortion, and he isn't as strong on immigration.
Sounds very libertarian

AJ Antimony
06-18-2008, 11:08 AM

Perhaps you should find a source a little more, you know, up to date. People are allowed to change opinions.

I think Ventura deserves consideration, especially here in 2008. No he's not a RPRepublican, but like it or not, we probably won't get any elected to Congress this year. Hell most of our RPRs aren't even winning primaries and the ones that are are doing so in strong Democratic districts. Add to the equation that America is voting Democrat all across the board in 2008 and it's not a stretch to say not 1 RPR will be elected to Congress this year (of course aside from the man himself). So as far as 2008 goes, I'd support anyone who comes close and Jesse is much closer to our platform than you may think.

richardfortherepublic
06-18-2008, 12:20 PM
Hate to say it but Jesse is a bigger name in the media then Ron Paul and we need him.

AJ Antimony
06-18-2008, 01:04 PM
Hate to say it but Jesse is a bigger name in the media then Ron Paul and we need him.

What I've seen is I suppose because of his size, pro wrestler career, Navy SEAL career, he seems to intimidate more people into not marginalizing him.

I think I'm recalling his interview on Hannity and Colmes (Youtube), he was saying typical Ron Paul-like stuff and Hannity didn't yell at him and degrade him like he does other people. I think he was subconsciously afraid of Jesse.

This effect in the US Senate would be utterly amazing.

IRO-bot
06-18-2008, 01:08 PM
And now they don't anymore because he's now for McCain and he went to that Bildeburg thing?

There is an interview somewhere where Ron talks about him. Says good things. He said when Mark was first in office he would come up and ask Ron why he voted a certain way. Ron would explain his answers etc. Eventually there were two voting no on alot of bills. That was Mark.

AJ Antimony
06-18-2008, 01:24 PM
There is an interview somewhere where Ron talks about him. Says good things. He said when Mark was first in office he would come up and ask Ron why he voted a certain way. Ron would explain his answers etc. Eventually there were two voting no on alot of bills. That was Mark.

So do RP people do like him? I was getting the feeling they didnt..