PDA

View Full Version : My experience at a local GOP event

Matt Collins
06-16-2008, 12:08 PM
I sent this out to the Nashville Meetup:
________

Fellow Ron Paul Tennesseans:

This past Saturday I attended the Flag Day Picnic an event hosted by the Republican Party of Nashville / Davidson County that was open to the public.

Only about 75 people were in attendance. Everyone was very friendly and open to conversation. This was not a formal event. Congresswoman Marsha Blackburn was there, a representative of Senator Lamar Alexander was there, State Senator Jack Johnson was there, a local mayor, former Governor Winfield Dunn and several people running for Congress and local / state offices including State House, council, and school boards. Also a straw poll was conducted about candidates and other various issues.

As far as I could tell only two (2) Ron Paul supporters were in attendance including myself. This is a crying shame!!!!. I am both frustrated and disappointed at our lack of participation. Do you want all of our work and what little media coverage we have attained over the past year to be lost? Do you want our little bit of political clout to disappear? Do you want our momentum as a movement to vanish?

Dr. Rand Paul gave us an admonition on January 27th stating “a group this size could absolutely dominate any local Republican meeting”. Did you know that there are about 763 members in the Nashville Ron Paul Meetup (10th largest in the US by the way), about +6000 Tennesseans donated money to Ron’s campaign, and Ron received +31,000 votes from our state?!?!

There is an old saying that “The world is run by those who show up”. This is absolutely true.

Contrary to popular belief not everyone in the Republican Party is a fascist. Contrary to popular belief not everyone in the Republican Party is a McCain supporter (in fact I heard one guy at the picnic complaining QUITE LOUDLY that he wished McCain ‘would quit insulting conservatives’). And contrary to popular belief, there are LOTS of people in the Republican Party who share Ron Paul’s views of limited government, a return to the Constitution, lower taxes, fiscal responsibility, etc etc.

Imagine if just 100 Ron Paul supporters had shown up at this event? We would’ve dominated! For that matter, if only 10 of us showed up and worked the crowd we still would’ve made a difference. How? Because I have been told that public officials figure that for every 1 person who voices a concern, writes a letter, makes a call etc, there are 100 people who share their same view! Therefore every time someone gives their opinion to an elected official the official realizes at least 100 other people agree with them. That's a 100:1 ratio. So for every Ron Paul supporter who actually shows up and speaks out, the power of their voice is really amplified 100 times!

Let me share a brief story with you…. I was at the picnic and there were several candidates running for local offices. And they were working the crowd introducing themselves, discussing their platform, asking for support, hanging out pamphlets, etc. One of these candidates running for State House sat across from me. During the course of lunch he was talking about the Ron Paul campaign and mentioned he was amazed at the level of support for Ron. He remarked on the amount of signs, billboards, stickers etc around town at the time of the Feb 5th primary. His goal was to find the people behind the campaign and get their support for him.

So at this point I told him who I was and that I volunteered for the Ron Paul campaign as an assistant organizer. He then began to pick my brain about why Ron had so much dedicated support in Nashville. As I was explaining to him the reasons why people voted for Ron, he began to ask more questions about what it would take to get the support of Ron Paul’s supporters to support him in his State House race. So I explained to him about Ron’s voting record, his consistency of 30 years, his strict adherence to the Constitution and so on and so forth.

During the course of this conversation I began to realize that something fascinating was happening. I actually had INFLUENCE. I have this guy’s ear now. We are developing a political relationship. I am (unofficially) consulting him on platform issues. Later tonight I will be sending him a reading list to help him better understand the Ron Paul “movement”. Why did this happen? BECAUSE I SHOWED UP!!!

Now imagine if this specific gentlemen wins the office that he is running for? We would have the ear of a member in the State house! Now just imagine if there had been 10 Ron Paul supporters in the crowd having these types of conversations with everyone there? My efforts would’ve been multiplied.

It’s these types of activities, this type of networking, these types of relationships that begin to grow the movement of our government back to a more limited position. The more people who love liberty that show up and mingle, the greater majority of the party we can influence and have a liberty-oriented outcome.

I am not asking for anyone to devote all of their free time and spend all of their discretionary income, neither is Ron or Rand. This is not like the campaign in February where long hours are expected. However EVERYONE should consider showing up to their local monthly GOP meetings. It usually takes 2 hours a month at most. Joining the local GOP will probably cost around $20/yr and membership gives you a vote in internal party elections. In other words it GIVES YOU A VOICE in the GOP.

The more Ron Paul supporters that show up, become members, voice their opinions, and vote in liberty-friendly supporters to GOP offices, the better chance we have at turning the country. But it’s got to start here. It’s got to start now. It’s got to start with YOU. I cannot do this alone. My voice might be loud but is nothing compared to hundreds of other Ron Paul supporters and liberty minded individuals speaking in unison.

Ron won’t be President. And we may not even get a single Ron Paul supporter elected to Congress this cycle either. Perhaps we lost the battle but by simply showing up we can win the war.

Something that was universal among Ron Paul supporters during the campaign was that everyone seemed to be pretty unhappy with our government (at all levels). I know I am unhappy with the way our government governs. Of course the most important thing we can do is vote however the second most important thing we can do is to show up and voice our opinions. Everyone complains and few people vote, but even fewer people show up to let their thoughts known to their elected officials. If you want to make a difference in your country, in your State, and in your community, get up off the couch and simply SHOW UP!!!

The next meeting of the Davidson County (Nashville) GOP is July 14th. The activities of that meeting are TBD. However on Aug 4th Lt Gov Ron Ramsey will be speaking. On Sept 8th Congresswoman Marsha Blackburn will be speaking, and on October 6th State Exec Committeeman John Ryder will be speaking. YOU SHOULD MAKE A POINT TO SHOW UP!

-Matt Collins
Matt@UltraSonicDesigns.com

Here are some relevant websites to local GOP organizations:

Davidson County http://nashvillegop.org (http://nashvillegop.org/)
Montgomery County - http://www.montgomerycogop.com/
Rutherford County - http://www.rutherfordgop.org/
Sumner County - http://www.sumnergop.org/

Other counties not listed:
To find contact information for your local GOP organization go to the URL below and in the upper right hand corner of that page there is a pull-down menu with every county listed. Select your county and click the “go” button.
http://ms.tngop.org/new/county_display.asp

speciallyblend
06-16-2008, 12:14 PM
thanks matt i hear you, I know i showed up to our colorado events and i will continue:)

amy31416
06-16-2008, 12:23 PM
Well said Matt, and absolutely correct.

Anti Federalist
06-16-2008, 12:51 PM
Yes, self evident actually.

Show up to these things.

Keep talking to people.

Keep passing out flyers, copies of Manifesto, wear your shirts, keep the bumper stickers on.

Yes, the election cycle is over but the education cycle never ends.

Great place to start: tell them why oil is now passing $140 just today. Good "ice breaker" for introducing the concept of "sound money" and the illegality of the Fed.

weslinder
06-16-2008, 01:00 PM
Thanks. That was an absolutely brilliant post. I couldn't agree more.

SnappleLlama
06-16-2008, 01:02 PM
Way to go, Matt!

dirknb@hotmail.com
06-16-2008, 03:07 PM
Great post Matt. We definitely have to stay involved.

NH4RonPaul
06-16-2008, 04:29 PM
Matt thank you for all your hard work.

You could not imagine the hard time GOPers had in NH getting the scores of supporters to work a table with the GOP!

We had one person in charge and many venues went uncovered because all she heard was crickets when she asked for help.

For gosh sakes you are not selling your soul to the GOP but you are gathering support from people who purport to be fiscal conservatives and want freedom!

Not working withing the GOP is the worst mistake anyone could make at this point.

And how about those LPers? They would not support Ron because he had an R after his name, their last best hope for freedom. So now they support Barr who has always BEEN an R, just because he has an L after his name? Hypocrites!

Anyway, keep up the good fight in the GOP.

speciallyblend
06-16-2008, 04:43 PM
Matt thank you for all your hard work.

You could not imagine the hard time GOPers had in NH getting the scores of supporters to work a table with the GOP!

We had one person in charge and many venues went uncovered because all she heard was crickets when she asked for help.

For gosh sakes you are not selling your soul to the GOP but you are gathering support from people who purport to be fiscal conservatives and want freedom!

Not working withing the GOP is the worst mistake anyone could make at this point.

And how about those LPers? They would not support Ron because he had an R after his name, their last best hope for freedom. So now they support Barr who has always BEEN an R, just because he has an L after his name? Hypocrites!

Anyway, keep up the good fight in the GOP.

I SENSE A NEW LIBERTY PARTY, LP/CP/dems and republicans a NEW PARTY,A NEW PLATFORM that goes beyond party lines, THATS WHAT I SEE COMING;)

ronpaulhawaii
06-16-2008, 04:59 PM
I SENSE A NEW LIBERTY PARTY, LP/CP/dems and republicans a NEW PARTY,A NEW PLATFORM that goes beyond party lines, THATS WHAT I SEE COMING;)

How about a new liberty wing of the GOP to start?

Great Post, Matt!!!

:)

surf
06-16-2008, 05:10 PM
Our Flag Day dinner was $100. And I had some Euro 2008 to watch.... i'll go to the local meetings (as a PCO), but i don't think i want to give these guys any more money. I live in McCain republican country - an area that an eastern Washington resident wrote should be sucked in to puget sound.

liberteebell
06-16-2008, 05:47 PM
Excellent post, Matt!

Lovecraftian4Paul
06-16-2008, 05:53 PM
I would also hope for higher attendance. Yet, I think it's going to become more and more obvious the next few months--about half of Ron Paul supporters have no commitment to the Republican Party in any form. Ron Paul is the only thing that united this vast coalition. Hopefully, the Campaign for Liberty will support multiple efforts--retaking the GOP, third parties, sounding the alarm on key issues, etc. It should not be a GOP-centric Political Action Committee.

I find the Republican Party utterly repulsive. I will support liberty candidates who are Republicans, but never the party. It's definitely in our interest to weaken the neo-con hold on the organization though. That opens the door for taking over the party or for third party successes.

pauletteNV
06-16-2008, 06:02 PM
Great points Matt. I recently went to our County Republican Womens group....about 1/2 men, and sat right next to a state congressman. When he announced the upcoming "official" reconvene of the Nevada State Convention on the wrong date I was able to politely refute his statement and tell him "it is a quorum of the delegates who make the call out of recess "official" not the GOP establishment. I then spoke at how unfair it is to call the Ron Paul people the rowdies who caused the recess, when it was the Chairman, a State Senator, at the request of the NV State Chairman, Sue Lowden, who caused the ruckus. There was another delegate there and I had a chat with her after the meeting and she said she would look into things a bit further. If I hadn't been there...well, you know the rest of the story.

Matt Collins
06-16-2008, 07:26 PM
Our Flag Day dinner was $100.Ouch. Ours was only $20. The BBQ was great and worth every penny. The money also paid for the rental of the chairs, tables, PA system, and tent.

malkusm
06-16-2008, 07:34 PM
Thank you for your hard work. Educating all Americans is our primary goal now - we might as well try to exert our influence where we have the most power, from within the party.

Akus
06-16-2008, 07:35 PM

Yey, let's reinvent the wheel...