PDA

View Full Version : campaignforliberty(.com|.org)

Mahkato
06-16-2008, 11:19 AM
The .org address is most likely preferred by the CfL organization, but the .com shows the site instead of redirecting to the .org address. This seems like a bad idea to me because then you have a bunch of web content creators linking to one domain and a bunch linking to the other, which will confuse The Google and lower the overall pagerank for the site.

I vote that campaignforliberty.com redirects to campaignforliberty.org.

MRoCkEd
06-16-2008, 11:20 AM
well good point

slacker921
06-16-2008, 11:27 AM
The .org address is most likely preferred by the CfL organization, but the .com shows the site instead of redirecting to the .org address. This seems like a bad idea to me because then you have a bunch of web content creators linking to one domain and a bunch linking to the other, which will confuse The Google and lower the overall pagerank for the site.

I vote that campaignforliberty.com redirects to campaignforliberty.org.

Maybe it isn't a non-profit? Maybe it's a for-profit business?

theantirobot
06-16-2008, 11:30 AM
CFL should be an experiment in self governance. Lets pretend the CFL website is a kind of government for the Internet, operating through political systems already in place. In the spirit of limited government, we need to perfect the art of creating citizen run organizations/businesses to replace government programs.

szczebrzeszyn
06-16-2008, 11:32 AM
Well, .org is the most appropriate one for something like CFL anyway. And yeah, they should redirect, but do we have a say on that? :) I've said earlier, that this site need a serious lifting, because it's much worse than the official campaign one (which was professional and more accessible). With 5mil on hand, it shouldn't be a problem to hire some pro dev to do it...

LibertyRevolution
06-16-2008, 02:02 PM
Personally I wont visit the or promote the .com site. The .com site if it truely is part of the .org site should redirect to the .org. Since it doesnt redirect I consider it a possible scam site and will not support it, seeing how they could just be collecting names and emails for some other purpose.

theantirobot
06-16-2008, 02:05 PM
Personally I wont visit the or promote the .com site. The .com site if it truely is part of the .org site should redirect to the .org. Since it doesnt redirect I consider it a possible scam site and will not support it, seeing how they could just be collecting names and emails for some other purpose.

This is Ron Paul you're talking about.

WRellim
06-16-2008, 02:07 PM
They also own the *.net -- but currently that goes nowhere (just a standard GoDaddy domain parking page).

newyearsrevolution08
06-16-2008, 02:07 PM
This is Ron Paul you're talking about.

no he was saying what if it is just a cookie cutter copy of the .org just to steal address, not saying ron paul was doing it..

szczebrzeszyn
06-16-2008, 02:18 PM
no he was saying what if it is just a cookie cutter copy of the .org just to steal address, not saying ron paul was doing it..

Both point to the same site - at least the same server and both were regstered the same day by same company, so I'm 99% sure they are the same site with 2 domains.

But I find it odd, that they used some domainbyproxy to register their domains - I'd rather see the CFL LLC or whatever in WHOIS, that would point to THEM, not some proxy company...

Sandra
06-16-2008, 03:21 PM
All .gov's also have a corresponding .com. It's a good idea to grab every .whatever before scammers do.

Mahkato
07-22-2008, 04:24 PM
And now they simultaneously have rally.campaignforliberty(.com|.org) and rallyfortherepublic.com running. The Flash banner on CfL promoting it still links to rally.campaignforliberty.com.

Don't have multiple sites showing the same content! You're diluting your backlinks!

fr33domfightr
07-22-2008, 08:51 PM
All .gov's also have a corresponding .com. It's a good idea to grab every .whatever before scammers do.

I emailed them about acquiring alternate addresses and they thought that was a good idea. Then they could just redirect to the preferred address.

I also asked about the .com .org thing months ago, but they never responded one way or the other. The legal status of the group is supposed to be like moveon, so I'd expect .org would be the preferred naming, but again, nothing concrete from the organizers.

FF