PDA

View Full Version : McCain: Habeas Corpus a Privilege not a Right

speech
06-16-2008, 04:39 AM
By now, it is widely known that the Supreme Court has weighed in on the debate over the rights of the prisoners at Gitmo. The court has stated that the detainees’ habeas corpus rights (the protection against an indefinite detention without charges and a trial) ought to be respected.

Referring to the human beings who are still being detained at Guantanamo Bay, McCain stated, “These are people who are not citizens. They do not and never have been given the rights that citizens in this country have” (emphasis added).

So our rights are given to us? Interesting.

I might ask McCain at the out-set, since you apparently believe that only citizens have rights (presumably “given” to them in the Constitution) where exactly in text of the Constitution does the Constitution give this right the right of habeas corpus?

(Article continues below)
http://waronyou.com/2008/06/mccain-habeas-corpus-a-privilege-not-a-right/

Ozwest
06-16-2008, 06:16 AM
You might ask an apathetic populace how you destroyed your Republic.

Most first world countries are shocked.

Truth Warrior
06-16-2008, 06:29 AM
John is right, IF the state "owns" the slaves. :p

Ozwest
06-16-2008, 06:48 AM
The courts are doing a great job.

Why wouldn't you trust them?

Especially, if you were were a corporation.

Isn't that what the legislative branch is all about?

Matt Collins
06-16-2008, 08:52 AM
It just goes to show that McCain has a fundamentally flawed understanding of our Constitution, DoI, and American government in general.

pinkmandy
06-16-2008, 08:55 AM
This is scary. People get their rights from the govt and not from their creator? Wow.

Truth Warrior
06-16-2008, 08:56 AM
It just goes to show that McCain has a fundamentally flawed understanding of our Constitution, DoI, and American government in general.
How can that be? He's an Annapolis grad, former POW war hero, US Senator ( too long ), GOP POTUS nominee. etc.

Ya just gotta be kidding me here! ;)

Ozwest
06-16-2008, 08:57 AM
This is scary. People get their rights from the govt and not from their creator? Wow.

Works for me.

Small government works for me.

Dr.3D
06-16-2008, 10:06 AM
How can that be? He's an Annapolis grad, former POW war hero, US Senator ( too long ), GOP POTUS nominee. etc.

Ya just gotta be kidding me here! ;)

Can we say, John Kerry?

Perry
06-16-2008, 10:42 AM
By now, it is widely known that the Supreme Court has weighed in on the debate over the rights of the prisoners at Gitmo. The court has stated that the detainees’ habeas corpus rights (the protection against an indefinite detention without charges and a trial) ought to be respected.

Referring to the human beings who are still being detained at Guantanamo Bay, McCain stated, “These are people who are not citizens. They do not and never have been given the rights that citizens in this country have” (emphasis added).

So our rights are given to us? Interesting.

I might ask McCain at the out-set, since you apparently believe that only citizens have rights (presumably “given” to them in the Constitution) where exactly in text of the Constitution does the Constitution give this right the right of habeas corpus?

(Article continues below)
http://waronyou.com/2008/06/mccain-habeas-corpus-a-privilege-not-a-right/

The preamble to the United States constitution states:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

John McCain claims that a government gives a man his rights.
If rights truly are unalienable and given by the creator as the U.S. constitution states, then would God give them only to Americans or to all mankind?

Ozwest
06-16-2008, 10:45 AM

John McCain claims that a government gives a man his rights.
If rights truly are unalienable and given by the creator as the U.S. constitution states, then would God give them only to Americans or to all mankind?

In case you haven't noticed, "their" is singular.

Not "your" creator.

acptulsa
06-16-2008, 10:46 AM
Hey, John McCain. The presidency is a privilege, not your God-given right.

Perry
06-16-2008, 11:02 AM
In case you haven't noticed, "their" is singular.

Not "your" creator.

I don't know what point you're attempting to make.
Take out the word God and the constitution still says they are "unalienable" and for "all men".

Ozwest
06-16-2008, 11:14 AM
I don't know what point you're attempting to make.
Take out the word God and the constitution still says they are "unalienable" and for "all men".

Ohhh.

I don't know.

Maybe I'm over-sensitive. Seeming after I left America at the age of 23 in 1983, you guys have managed to "balls" it up "big time."

I hoped Ron Paul would be redeem you all, but you have proved to be useless pricks.

Eight years of Bush/Cheney is not a good track record.

Dr.3D
06-16-2008, 11:16 AM
Ohhh.

I don't know.

Maybe I'm over-sensitive. Seeming after I left America at the age of 23 in 1983, you guys have managed to "balls" it up "big time."

I hoped Ron Paul would be redeem you all, but you have proved to be useless pricks.

And your being here would have changed all of that?

Anti Federalist
06-16-2008, 11:36 AM
Perry wrote:

Quote:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Not to pick nits on you here, but that's the Declaration of Independence.

This is the preamble to the Constitution:

We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Perry
06-16-2008, 11:41 AM
Perry wrote:

Not to pick nits on you here, but that's the Declaration of Independence.

This is the preamble to the Constitution:

We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

oops:o Easy mistake.

Perry
06-16-2008, 11:48 AM
Ohhh.

I don't know.

Uhhh yeah. Even if I decided to be a chickenshit and run away from the country I wouldn't be attempting to demean people who use their energy and resources to make a difference.

Truth Warrior
06-16-2008, 11:57 AM
Hey, John McCain. The presidency is a privilege, not your God-given right.
That's NOT what the GOP says. :D

Truth Warrior
06-16-2008, 11:58 AM
Uhhh yeah. Even if I decided to be a chickenshit and run away from the country I wouldn't be attempting to demean people who use their energy and resources to make a difference.
I would and am! :D

Kalifornia
06-16-2008, 12:11 PM
Is it possible that McCain is actually Dr. Evil?

Ozwest
06-16-2008, 12:23 PM

I didn't run.

As far as I'm concerned, you guys are the chicken shits.

I used to be proud.

Time for a reality check.

Kalifornia
06-16-2008, 12:26 PM
Ohhh.

I don't know.

And of course, wherever you are at is a perfect example of ordered liberty..

Ozwest
06-16-2008, 12:32 PM
And of course, wherever you are at is a perfect example of ordered liberty..

Not at all.

But I'm not breathing down your kneck, dropping cluster bombs, sailing fleets, flying drones, launching satellites, tapping your landline, illegally incarcerating, torturing, and threatening.

Booga! Booga!

Fuck off. Wankers.

Ozwest
06-16-2008, 12:34 PM
There's a world view.

Sorry.

Kalifornia
06-16-2008, 12:37 PM
Not at all.

But I'm not breathing down your kneck, dropping cluster bombs, sailing fleets, flying drones, launching satellites, tapping your landline, illegally incarcerating, torturing, and threatening.

Im not either. If I had my say, all that would stop and more.

Booga! Booga!

Fuck off. Wankers.

and I quote "YOU ARE PISS WEAK!!!!!"

:D

Dr.3D
06-16-2008, 12:41 PM
Yeah, stand around someplace else and point your finger at everybody else and blame them for what the government does. Great, how do you propose anybody could have changed how it worked out? If you were still here, you would then have to point your finger at yourself along with everybody else you are now pointing your finger at. Like how are the people here in the Ron Paul forums to blame for how things are going in this country?

You seem to be painting the entire country with a very broad brush. If you want to point your finger at somebody, perhaps you should start with yourself. Just what have you done to make things better?

Ozwest
06-16-2008, 12:42 PM
Im not either. If I had my say, all that would stop and more.

and I quote "YOU ARE PISS WEAK!!!!!"

:D

Fuck you Kalifornia.:D

Margaret River awaits.

And yes...

We still have fish. Surf Rod competition at dawn.

Bloody Yank.

Ozwest
06-16-2008, 12:45 PM
Yeah, stand around someplace else and point your finger at everybody else and blame them for what the government does. Great, how do you propose anybody could have changed how it worked out? If you were still here, you would then have to point your finger at yourself along with everybody else you are now pointing your finger at. Like how are the people here in the Ron Paul forums to blame for how things are going in this country?

You seem to be painting the entire country with a very broad brush. If you want to point your finger at somebody, perhaps you should start with yourself. Just what have you done to make things better?

I don't know who you are pointing your finger at.

Eight years of Bush/Cheney.

Where should the finger be pointed? Gonzo.

Dr.3D
06-16-2008, 12:46 PM
I don't know who you are pointing your finger at.

Eight years of Bush/Cheney.

Where should the finger be pointed? Gonzo.

Eight years of Bush/Cheny.... what other choice was there?
Perhaps you should point the finger up your toot!

Ozwest
06-16-2008, 12:50 PM
Eight years of Bush/Cheny.... what other choice was there?
Perhaps you should point the finger up your toot!

Maybe you should sit on Cheney's finger, and rotate.

What a piss-weak reply. Go eat a Cheeseburger.

Dr.3D
06-16-2008, 12:55 PM
Maybe you should sit on Cheney's finger, and rotate.

What a piss-weak reply. Go eat a Cheeseburger.

What ever. You have a real problem with the people of the United States don't you?
Like it is the fault of the people instead of the government. Do you actually believe the people elect the government? If you believe that, I have a bridge in Sydney to sell you.

We could have elected somebody else those past eight years.... do you actually believe that would have made any difference at all? We would only have had another clown in the White House. The choices we are given in the general elections are pathetic. All of those who are on the ballot are exactly the same way.

Ozwest
06-16-2008, 01:10 PM
What ever. You have a real problem with the people of the United States don't you?
Like it is the fault of the people instead of the government. Do you actually believe the people elect the government? If you believe that, I have a bridge in Sydney to sell you.

We could have elected somebody else those past eight years.... do you actually believe that would have made any difference at all? We would only have had another clown in the White House. The choices we are given in the general elections are pathetic. All of those who are on the ballot are exactly the same way.

I have a problem.

Cause I know the "Pledge of Allegiance" by heart.

I recited it everyday, until grade eight.

I was a "Yank, until 23.

I have an American accent.

Why don't you guys lift your game?

And restore some pride to the Red- White- Blue.

If you can't cop it sweet.

Go fuck yourself.

Dr.3D
06-16-2008, 01:12 PM
Go fuck yourself.

I don't need to, you seem to be trying to that job for me.

Kalifornia
06-16-2008, 01:12 PM
I have a problem.

Cause I know the "Pledge of Allegiance" by heart.

I recited it everyday, until grade eight.

I was a "Yank, until 23.

I have an American accent.

Why don't you guys lift your game?

And restore some pride to the Red- White- Blue.

If you can't cop it sweet.

Go fuck yourself.

Oz, seriously, Im not trying to flame you here, I just have a question I cant figure out. If you speak with an American accent, and lived here till you were 23, why is it you cant figure out how to write in a way that is actually legible to US citizens?

Half the time your language is so peppered with Ausism that I have no idea what the fuck you are talking about.

Ozwest
06-16-2008, 01:28 PM
Oz, seriously, Im not trying to flame you here, I just have a question I cant figure out. If you speak with an American accent, and lived here till you were 23, why is it you cant figure out how to write in a way that is actually legible to US citizens?

Half the time your language is so peppered with Ausism that I have no idea what the fuck you are talking about.

Ok.

Maybe you ought to get out and travel.

Should I strum a banjo and head up to the Appalachians? Wanker.

That's the crux of the biscuit isn't it? The world revolves around you.

Can't stand it when you get sand kicked in your face.

Chump.

acptulsa
06-16-2008, 01:28 PM
Damn, Oz. We tried. Rome wasn't built in a day. How are you doing with getting liberty minded people in office down under?

Ozwest
06-16-2008, 01:34 PM
[quote=acptulsa;1519047]Damn, Oz. We tried. Rome wasn't built in a day. How are you doing with getting liberty minded people in office down under?[/quotWe withdrew all our combat troops (500) from Iraq a week ago.:)

We elected our government on that promise.

We still have 1000 non combative people in Iraq.

We have forces in Afghanistan.
We believe in that cause.

demolama
06-16-2008, 01:34 PM
And that is the problem with using the words "Constitutional Rights", as if the piece of paper gives people... or in this case only citizens "rights." IF a piece of paper grants rights it can also take away..

The Declaration of Independence is clear the philosophy of the founders was that all men were created equal with certain inalienable rights. The 5th Amendment of the Bill of Rights is also very clear it uses the word person and not citizen when talking about the procedural rights or what we call due process. To deny any person due process is a violation of his liberty and thus a violation of his inalienable rights

Kalifornia
06-16-2008, 01:35 PM
Ok.

Maybe you ought to get out and travel.

Should I strum a banjo and head up to the Appalachians? Wanker.

That's the crux of the biscuit isn't it? The world revolves around you.

Can't stand it when you get sand kicked in your face.

Chump.

See? This is what I get for trying to be nice to you. Actually, Ive travelled quite extensively. Your use of euphemisms is bad or worse than any bucktoothed, coverall wearing, no shoe having, pig manure smelling hillbilly I've ever met. Yet you claim to have spent an extensive part of your life in the U.S.

I dont have any trouble understanding British, Irish, Canadian, Aus or NZ commentators, so I shouldn't have any trouble understanding you. Unless you are an AUS hillbilly, which at this point I strongly suspect.

acptulsa
06-16-2008, 01:39 PM
[quote=acptulsa;1519047]Damn, Oz. We tried. Rome wasn't built in a day. How are you doing with getting liberty minded people in office down under?[/quotWe withdrew all our combat troops (500) from Iraq a week ago.:)

We elected our government on that promise.

We still have 1000 non combative people in Iraq.

We have forces in Afghanistan.
We believe in that cause.

Yes, I remember hearing that on the news, now that you mention it. Good job.

Yes, Americans are too much of an imperial mind. Please remember that we here are the ones working on it...

Ozwest
06-16-2008, 01:46 PM
See? This is what I get for trying to be nice to you. Actually, Ive travelled quite extensively. Your use of euphemisms is bad or worse than any bucktoothed, coverall wearing, no shoe having, pig manure smelling hillbilly I've ever met. Yet you claim to have spent an extensive part of your life in the U.S.

I dont have any trouble understanding British, Irish, Canadian, Aus or NZ commentators, so I shouldn't have any trouble understanding you. Unless you are an AUS hillbilly, which at this point I strongly suspect.

Nice Kalifornia.

When you visit me in my hut, you will have the honor of sleeping with my prized sow. This is a significant gesture.

Please bring beads... and a condom.

Kalifornia
06-16-2008, 02:01 PM
Nice Kalifornia.

When you visit me in my hut, you will have the honor of sleeping with my prized sow. This is a significant gesture.

Please bring beads... and a condom.

Thanks for the offer, but I believe in the sanctity of marriage. You really should pick a different pet name for the wife.

I didn't know you were a swinger!

:)

I will bring the beads though, and shoes and soap!

Ozwest
06-16-2008, 02:06 PM
What?

I will contact the Minister for Aboriginal Affairs.

My swine considers you a pig!

acptulsa
06-16-2008, 02:09 PM
What?

I will contact the Minister for Aboriginal Affairs.

My swine considers you a pig!

Aboriginal Affairs can't help you. Pigs were imported down there.

Ozwest
06-16-2008, 02:12 PM
Down where?

acptulsa
06-16-2008, 02:14 PM
Down where?

Down under? Boars aren't any more native there than frogs, are they?

Ozwest
06-16-2008, 02:17 PM
Down under? Boars aren't any more native there than frogs, are they?

Are you being suggestive? How much can a Koala Bear?

Dr.3D
06-16-2008, 02:18 PM
I will bring the beads though, and shoes and soap!

You never know, you might want to take along some blankets too.
Remember how the Dutch bought Manhattan Island?

Kalifornia
06-16-2008, 02:20 PM
You never know, you might want to take along some blankets too.
Remember how the Dutch bought Manhattan Island?

Shit, Id love to have 100 square miles of AUS land!

acptulsa
06-16-2008, 02:23 PM
Are you being suggestive? How much can a Koala Bear?

Don't you mean how much can a koala marsupial?

Ozwest
06-16-2008, 02:26 PM
Shit, Id love to have 100 square miles of AUS land!

You'll have to get past our defense force.

100 Surfers with IUD's and back-up dolphins attacking your aircraft carriers.

Don't fuck with Marsupials.

Crickett
06-16-2008, 07:52 PM
This is one great article and it proves my point about the Neo-cons. They really love the Constitution and support it--but they have rarely discussed any of its parts, and do not understand at ALL how we need it to restrain our government and keep those rights with us.
How, I wonder, can we teach someone something that they think they already know, and take offense if someone tells them they do not??

Matt Collins
06-17-2008, 06:44 PM
Has anyone actually READ THE CONSTITUTION ON THIS!?!!?

You might be surprised at what you see!