PDA

View Full Version : Article about TX Convention "Reality"

wgadget
06-15-2008, 04:28 PM
Convention reality disheartens delegates and volunteers
By ALEX WUKMAN
awukman@hcnonline.com
06/14/2008
email this storyEmail to a friendpost a commentPost a Commentprinter friendlyPrinter-friendly
Hundreds of boots line the Discovery Green lawn facing the George R. Brown Convention Center. They were a silent protest against the Iraq war.

Hundreds of boots line the Discovery Green lawn facing the George R. Brown Convention Center. They were a silent protest against the Iraq war.

As the sun broke on the final day of the Texas Republican Convention Saturday, a sight greeted the delegates. Perfectly lined rows of combat boots stretched across the lawn of Discovery Green. Each boot represented a member of the U.S. military who died in Iraq.

It was a silent reminder from Veterans for Peace of the human cost of the war, and it was the only discussion of Iraq at the convention.

“It’s good to see someone trying to stop this mayhem and destruction,” said William Blalock, a delegate from Brazoria County.

Blalock, a Ron Paul supporter, had left the convention after the second day of Congressional District Caucuses because, in his words, “it’s spiraling downward.”

“They’re seating illegal delegates,” he said, “They’re not the conservative party; they’re a sham.” Blalock wasn’t alone in his sentiments; in fact, they were so prevalent they were being echoed by some of the convention staff.

“It seems like the Ron Paul supporters are being turned away more often than they should,” said Davis Manoushagian, a 16-year-old volunteer page from Bridgeport. Manoushagian and the other 150-plus pages had been at the convention since Wednesday and had seen how the fights with the Nueces County rump convention and Ron Paul’s delegates had played out.

“It doesn’t seem right that the Ron Paul people haven’t been allowed to speak as much,” said Taylor Huse, a 15-year-old page from Springton. Huse and Manoushagian, along with teenagers from all over the state, were sent by their parents to learn about the political process and received an odd lesson.

“Every now and then I hear people being silenced,” Manoushagian said. The silencing of delegates is something that went beyond votes into simpler forms of speech.

“This is the first time that they aren’t allowing signs on the floor,” Blalock said. He quickly clarified that while candidate signs were on the floor, homemade signs were forbidden. “Only pre-approved signs are allowed” he said.

Manoushagian noted that the convention isn’t exactly what he thought it would be.

“I think we’ve compromised our values,” he said. “We’re the open door party and we’re telling people they can’t speak.”

ItsTime
06-15-2008, 04:31 PM
Thanks for making the youth Ron Paul supporters :) Blowback is a bitch

wgadget
06-15-2008, 04:32 PM

LOL. I was thinking the same thing. It's kinda bittersweet.

TexasAggie09
06-15-2008, 04:49 PM
http://www.hcnonline.com/site/index.cfm?newsid=19774195&BRD=1574&PAG=461&dept_id=532207&rfi=8

An Insult To Our Brave Military Personnel
This is an insult to those who ACTUALLY WORE combat boots in service to their country in Iraq! In case you idiots haven't noticed, WE ARE WINNING THERE!
All of us who served in Iraq volunteered for duty and were proud to serve. To make our dead brothers pawns in some political game is OUTRAGEOUS ! Those who did this are sick anti-Americans!
I can't believe the Cleveland Advocate has become a pawn of the leftwing liberals. A sad day, a sad day indeed.
Getting quotes from a supporter of the fool Ron Paul says much about the politics, and intelligence, of the writer!

RPF enlighten this guy.

ItsTime
06-15-2008, 04:51 PM
I like how they think we are winning there when gas is over $5.00 in places, our dollar is falling, and we are on the edge of a depression. The exact things Osama said he wanted to do.

wowabunga
06-15-2008, 07:36 PM

Yep...!

I'm a part time sub teacher and the kids are pretty bright when it comes to seeing the real deal when it comes to cheaters and liars.

RB

malkusm
06-15-2008, 07:57 PM
http://www.hcnonline.com/site/index.cfm?newsid=19774195&BRD=1574&PAG=461&dept_id=532207&rfi=8

RPF enlighten this guy.

Consider him enlightened.

My post (most of which I took from an article on Nolan Chart, found here: http://www.nolanchart.com/article4035.html):

The "sick anti-Americans" are those who have chosen to send our brave men and women to an undeclared war. For those of you who say that you have to support the war to support the troops, I would have to argue that nothing could be further from the truth.

A good soldier faithfully carries out the mission to the best of his/her ability. Nothing more can be asked of them. Those who have and are currently serving in Iraq are heroes in every sense of the word. They deserve the utmost respect and honor for their service to their country.

True support for the troops goes far beyond the lame, token gestures like placing a "support the troops" ribbon on the back of your car. It includes keeping them in the forefront of the political and social landscape - in direct, sharp contrast to the near silence of the main stream media, almost all politicians, and so many Americans who don't have family and/or friends currently or previously serving in Iraq.

True support for the troops damned sure doesn't include blindly supporting the illegal invasion / occupation that was foisted upon our nation with false pretenses. In fact, doing so is to be blatantly unsupportive of our soldiers. They are not expendable slaves to be pawned into slaughter for corporate profits, imperialistic foreign policies, and the neoconservative nation-building agenda.

wowabunga
06-15-2008, 08:04 PM
True support for the troops damned sure doesn't include blindly supporting the illegal invasion / occupation that was foisted upon our nation with false pretenses. In fact, doing so is to be blatantly unsupportive of our soldiers. They are not expendable slaves to be pawned into slaughter for corporate profits, imperialistic foreign policies, and the neoconservative nation-building agenda.

Works for me....

Laugh Hard, Hang Tough, Lend a Hand
Ramblin Randy