PDA

View Full Version : GunnyFreedom Food Buy

bluefish
06-15-2008, 04:11 PM
I was interested in his food buy idea but I haven't seen anything else posted on it(I may have overlooked it).

I decided to buy the sample box of meat to run a taste test for anyone who might be interested. The sample case has 6 different cans of meat from MREdepot.
1.Pork Chunks w/borth---28oz= 1lb 12oz
2.Hamburger---28oz= 1lb 12oz
3.Beef Chunks Enriched w/juices---28oz= 1lb 12oz
4.Chicken Chunks w/broth--28oz= 1lb 12oz
These four I haven't opened yet.

5.Turkey---28oz= 1lb 12oz (I don't really care for turkey, but this probably taste good if you do). There was a lot of broth in the can and a mix of quarter to half dollar size white & dark pieces of meat. IMO you wouldn't be disappointed with the turkey.
6.Pork Sausage--28oz= 1lb 12oz (I'm close to the last of the can on this & IMO it is good, especially with bbq sauce. It didn't stick together when I tried to pan fry it but I'm no cook. The fat & juices cooked out of the meat but are in the can. The meat comes out of the can in a chunk (looks & smells faintly, at least to me) like spam. I think this one is good & IMO you wouldn't be disappointed with it either.

All in all, from what I have sampled so far, this stuff is great for hard times but not something you would find yourself having a craving for.

I also bought a can of the processed cheese---7.97oz and a can of butter---12oz that I haven't opened yet.

I will post what I think of the others a when I have tried them.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a281/ara825/Gold/Food21.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a281/ara825/Gold/Food2.jpg

bluefish
07-02-2008, 01:05 PM
I opened the can of pork chunks last night and thought I would post an update on my taste test.
Straight from the can (no seasoning & not heated).
I personelly don't like this one. There is some grissle in this can. As a side note you need to know that I"m reporting my opinion of ALL the diffenent meats "from the can" unseasoned & unheated. After a few bites of this one I had to pitch the rest of it.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a281/ara825/A%20Pork%20Folder/canpork1.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a281/ara825/A%20Pork%20Folder/canpork2.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a281/ara825/A%20Pork%20Folder/canpork3.jpg

amy31416
07-02-2008, 01:10 PM
Oh the humanity! I don't even want to say what that looks like. . .

newyearsrevolution08
07-02-2008, 01:11 PM
happy to check this stuff out. I do agree that the food you store should be atleast something you MIGHT be able to stomach BUT if worst comes to worse then well we all know what we MUST do. I think this is a great idea though. Please keep us updated on the taste testing and so forth.

Stocking up is a great idea, I am just locating the shelf date on most of these as well so I can guestimate when they need to be circulated in and out.

If looks were the deciding factor those pics would be a negative for me lol BUT food is food when it comes down to it.

bluefish
07-02-2008, 03:56 PM
Oh the humanity! I don't even want to say what that looks like. . .

lol---- What, that didn't make you hungry?

Dr.3D
07-02-2008, 04:06 PM
After a few bites of this one I had to pitch the rest of it.

I hope you tried heating it up before you took those bites. It may have been better if the grease had been melted. ;)

bluefish
07-02-2008, 04:10 PM
If looks were the deciding factor those pics would be a negative for me lol BUT food is food when it comes down to it.

I think a cook could have made a good meal out of the pork chunks. But of the three I've tried I don't think I will be getting any more pork chunks. I wish now I had posted pictures of the other two--which didn't look much better but tasted pretty good.

Acala
07-02-2008, 04:22 PM
Oh the humanity!

This comment made me LOL!

bluefish
07-02-2008, 04:24 PM
I hope you tried heating it up before you took those bites. It may have been better if the grease had been melted. ;)

No, I did heat the other two after trying it straight from the can (and ate every bit of both of them). The pork chunks-- I just didn't have enough nerve left to go any further with them.

Kalifornia
07-03-2008, 05:22 PM
I find that with the exception of bacon and ham, that the only way I find pork to be really appealing is BBQ. Any other method of cooking it can potentially be eaten within 5 minutes of it coming off the stove/out of the oven, if it is seasoned, but thats it. Once it gets a chance to cool, its stringy and generally nasty.

I can think of ony a few things more repulsive than cooking pork chunks in a can and then eating it later.

Ozwest
07-03-2008, 05:53 PM
Sorry,

That's dog food.

asgardshill
07-03-2008, 06:41 PM
You can still see the whip marks where the jockey was hitting it.

I'm still trying to work up the courage to try the Yoders Canned Bacon. Its available again, and is supposed to be mediocre to good if you carbonize it while frying. Will report back either from here or from the Botulism Clinic at the local hospital.

Ozwest
07-03-2008, 06:43 PM
You can still see the whip marks where the jockey was hitting it.
HaHa!!!

GunnyFreedom
07-20-2008, 01:40 AM
Sorry about the delay, while there was some decent interest in the group buy, it was nowhere near enough for the massive group discounts I was looking for.

I have been so durn busy, I was completely off the RPF's for about 2-3 months for a while there, and am just now back in force.

As for the food, I don't eat pork at all so I didn't know how the pork would be. I have tried the beef, hamburger, turkey, and the chicken, and I actually liked them all. (bear in mind I never have, and never will try the pork) It seems you had a good experience with thoe beef, hamburger, and chicken also, which I am glad to hear.

Yeah, they aren't 4 seasons, but they keep for 10 years. And, you can cook them into stews etc. A can of beef chunks simmered with some vegetables from a garden, and you could almost give Dinty Moore a run for their money. A little gravy and I think you could do better than Dinty Moore, but that's just me.

My favorites thus far are the beef chunks and the chicken. The beef chunks FAR more than the chicken. Actually, I really like the beef chunks a lot. Dunno, maybe I'm weird, but if I weren't conserving my long term foodstuffs, I'd open the beef chunks before the Campbells chunky. A little bit less flavor, but a LOT more substance.

bluefish
07-26-2008, 11:42 PM
I finally got around to opening the cans of butter & cheese tonight.
The butter is smooth and creamy, easy to spread and tasted very good. I think the butter is better than any of the store bought brands, and is probably a lot healthier.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a281/ara825/food/butterandcheese/Food015.jpg

As for the cheese, the texture is, well, like cheese lol. It has a mild cheddar taste and is very good even though I prefer sharp cheddar. It seems to have less oil than what you buy at the store, and is a little dry and doesn't stick to the knife when it is cut.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a281/ara825/food/butterandcheese/Food014.jpg

The butter comes in a 12oz can and the cheese in a 7.97oz can.
I think both these items are really good, so I just ordered a case of each.
It seems like MRE.com has less varity of items now and the prices have gone up some since I ordered last

GunnyFreedom, sorry to hear that not enough people wanted in on a group order. IMO it would have been a very good investment.

bluefish

LibertyEagle
07-26-2008, 11:55 PM
It seems like MRE.com has less varity of items now and the prices have gone up some since I ordered last

Are you sure that's the website? I just tried it and all I got was a placeholder page. :confused:

IPSecure
07-26-2008, 11:57 PM
http://www.mredepot.com/

GunnyFreedom
08-12-2008, 02:46 PM
good stuff!

Anti Federalist
08-12-2008, 03:14 PM
Mrs. AF bought some "trial" survival foods.

Words fail me. Key word being "survival".

We can and jar all our own stuff now.