PDA

View Full Version : Brainstorm Ideas for the CFL Here

mport1
06-15-2008, 11:53 AM
I think we should brainstorm some ideas for the Campaign for Liberty to hopefully come up with some goods ones before it even really gets kicked into gear. We can figure out the best ideas and then let the campaign know what we have thought up. The CFL really needs to focus with the limited resources they will have to produce the greatest amount of change and I know we as a whole can come up with some good stuff, just like the market.

They ideas can be about the site, projects, whatever. Here is some ones that I have quickly come up with so far. PLEASE ADD YOUR OWN:

-A forum for the site, possibly integrating this one into it since we already have a good community and lots of members going here. Possibly also a chat room.

-A "Refer a friend option" that would email or mail somebody in a targeted (the referrer could provide some info about their friend) way giving them some information about the CFL.

-Some good looking merchandise to help spread the message and also raise money - bumper stickers, shirts, hats, books, etc.

-A well thought out Education "tab" which would help educate those people new to liberty or provide more material to those who want to learn more. It could have links, audio and internet version books, articles, videos, etc. It could break down by specific issues as well. I think the most effective thing would be to have a specific "path to liberty" where those who are new to liberty could take like a mini-course on liberty so they explore certain materials in a good order. This will ensure better understanding and ensure that they aren't scared off initially by "radical" ideas. Education needs to be our primary goal since it is the only way we can eventually win. Operation Education (http://operationeducation.org/index.cfm) could also be integrated to pay people to watch or read certain material.

-A Take Action "tab" which would let people know of ways to get active inside and outside of the CFL with links to their local meetup, events, Downsize DC, Free State Project, liberty candidates, etc. People who sign up with the site should give more specific info like state and Zip Code so this could be customized.

-A News tab for relevant and important news of the day.

-Eventually some donation counters so we can do money bombs. Maybe some project specific donations so people can pick and choose where their money goes and the market will decide whats best. american.swan suggested a monthly or yearly contribution option which I think is a must for raising money and for allowing the campaign to better predict their future cash flows.

Sandra
06-15-2008, 12:17 PM
I think it's important that all material pass the muster of the CFL and not be some random submissions. Sort of the way RonPaul2008.com did.

Text for flyers
Reproducable / downloadable DVD's
Pushcards

MsDoodahs
06-15-2008, 12:20 PM
-A well thought out Education "tab" which would help educate those people new to liberty or provide more material to those who want to learn more. It could have links, audio and internet version books, articles, videos, etc. It could break down by specific issues as well. I think the most effective thing would be to have a specific "path to liberty" where those who are new to liberty could take like a mini-course on liberty so they explore certain materials in a good order. This will ensure better understanding and ensure that they aren't scared off initially by "radical" ideas. Education needs to be our primary goal since it is the only way we can eventually win. Operation Education (http://operationeducation.org/index.cfm) could also be integrated to pay people to watch or read certain material.

I'd like to see some kind of "lesson planner" set up for those of us who might host old fashioned "coffee klatch" meetings in our homes where we present the ideas to friends and neighbors. Huck's people used this kind of "in home" meeting - through churches where he found support - to garner more support, and it proved effective for him IMO. There is no reason some of us can't do the same thing...and some sort of planner would be nice.

Sort of...Martha Stewart meets Murray Rothbard...lol...

mport1
06-15-2008, 12:29 PM
I'd like to see some kind of "lesson planner" set up for those of us who might host old fashioned "coffee klatch" meetings in our homes where we present the ideas to friends and neighbors. Huck's people used this kind of "in home" meeting - through churches where he found support - to garner more support, and it proved effective for him IMO. There is no reason some of us can't do the same thing...and some sort of planner would be nice.

Sort of...Martha Stewart meets Murray Rothbard...lol...

Excellent idea. And those who are really well versed in all the issues could sign up to be the leaders of these groups.

That also gives me another idea of targeted activism. Kind of like Bob Barr is doing if you have signed up with them. They have you tell them in what capacities you would like to help out and then have specific messages to these people about what they can do to help. Ex: I signed up as an "Internet Activist" and I get emails tailored to me that tell EXACTLY what the campaign wants me to do to help them out (although obviously people can go outside those suggestions and come up with their own ways of helping).

mport1
06-15-2008, 12:31 PM
I think it's important that all material pass the muster of the CFL and not be some random submissions. Sort of the way RonPaul2008.com did.

Text for flyers
Reproducable / downloadable DVD's
Pushcards

Definitely, but we should be able to create stuff on the forums which they could then see and use if it was up to their standards.

ItsTime
06-15-2008, 12:32 PM
hire the right people to do this right.

Sandra
06-15-2008, 12:36 PM
Issue education is another thing that should be covered, I mean cover the specifics. I was so surprised how many people at our meetups had no idea whatsoever on the economy, foreign policy, or what conservatism was in general. It seemed they were passionate about ending the war but didn't have a clue in the simple dynamics of American politics.

I was so tired of them screaming "Liberty! Freedom!" and failing to educate themselves in this movement.

Sandra
06-15-2008, 12:38 PM
Definitely, but we should be able to create stuff on the forums which they could then see and use if it was up to their standards.

I meant on THEIR website. A PAC is responsible for their content.

mport1
06-15-2008, 12:51 PM
Issue education is another thing that should be covered, I mean cover the specifics. I was so surprised how many people at our meetups had no idea whatsoever on the economy, foreign policy, or what conservatism was in general. It seemed they were passionate about ending the war but didn't have a clue in the simple dynamics of American politics.

I was so tired of them screaming "Liberty! Freedom!" and failing to educate themselves in this movement.

Yeah, I ran across a few people like that, but at least their heart was in the right place. We need to fix this though so we aren't like Obama supporters who just scream "change" and know nothing about the issues.

roho76
06-15-2008, 05:00 PM
I know I don't post here a lot but I don't post unless I have something to say, so please I'm not a troll, I know how hostile things can get.

Anyways...

I was thinking what if we could get Ron Paul to sponsor or even narrate a miniseries about the Constitution and the Founding Fathers, kinda like the John Adams 8 part miniseries from HBO or Showtime I can't remember which. It could be on Cable or on network TV.

It could be shot in two different times (Past/Present). This series would explore the freedoms and liberties that we have lost today and use the past as a means of explaining why the Founding Fathers put safeguards in the constitution to protect us from tyranny from the government. It could be a period film that relates to the present, basically. When reading the Amendments to the Constitution there could be moments where it flash's to the present to show those very rights being stripped away through legislation (Patriot Act) or through brute force like harmless protests that turn violent when police get out of control. Well I'm just rattling off ideas now but I'm sure you get the point. I was just thinking that since the John Adams series did so well there must be a market for this type of Docudrama.

If the right person pitched this to the right person it could be very explosive. It could promote CFL and our movement. And since the Media is realizing how much a cash cow RP is they just might go for it.

MRoCkEd
06-15-2008, 05:03 PM
all these ideas in this thread are great
i hope the site will feature lots of content and materials for download

Mckarnin
06-15-2008, 05:21 PM
I may post something more comprehensive at a later date...

The CFL needs to look at where there is the most need and take their unique position (the fact they have 4-5 million already) into account. Right now we have several organizations working for the future of freedom, several working on media, another education, another news links, yet another articles from freedom loving authors, etc...

One pair of shoes that have not been successfully filled and are absolutely essential to the future of this movement is that of recruiting, grooming and promoting freedom platform candidates. Ron Paul's endorsement means something. We need a long-term program for scouting candidates years in advance and grooming them to phrase the issues in non-divisive terms for a public new to these ideas, teaching them to speak in public, dress well, learn the particular issues that their area faces backwards and forwards and address them decisively. This organization also needs to produce high-quality materials and commercials to promote these candidates and help them get media coverage and funding. In addition this organization needs to maintain a large national network that it can mobilize for feet on the street support and campaigning for these candidates. This is what I see as the best direction for the CFL.

MsDoodahs
06-15-2008, 05:25 PM
I know I don't post here a lot but I don't post unless I have something to say, so please I'm not a troll, I know how hostile things can get.

Anyways...

I was thinking what if we could get Ron Paul to sponsor or even narrate a miniseries about the Constitution and the Founding Fathers, kinda like the John Adams 8 part miniseries from HBO or Showtime I can't remember which. It could be on Cable or on network TV.

It could be shot in two different times (Past/Present). This series would explore the freedoms and liberties that we have lost today and use the past as a means of explaining why the Founding Fathers put safeguards in the constitution to protect us from tyranny from the government. It could be a period film that relates to the present, basically. When reading the Amendments to the Constitution there could be moments where it flash's to the present to show those very rights being stripped away through legislation (Patriot Act) or through brute force like harmless protests that turn violent when police get out of control. Well I'm just rattling off ideas now but I'm sure you get the point. I was just thinking that since the John Adams series did so well there must be a market for this type of Docudrama.

If the right person pitched this to the right person it could be very explosive. It could promote CFL and our movement. And since the Media is realizing how much a cash cow RP is they just might go for it.

That's an excellent idea. If the mainstream media isn't interested, there are lots of super talented people within the movement who might want to do the project.

:)

MRoCkEd
06-15-2008, 05:26 PM
I may post something more comprehensive at a later date...

The CFL needs to look at where there is the most need and take their unique position (the fact they have 4-5 million already) into account. Right now we have several organizations working for the future of freedom, several working on media, another education, another news links, yet another articles from freedom loving authors, etc...

One pair of shoes that have not been successfully filled and are absolutely essential to the future of this movement is that of recruiting, grooming and promoting freedom platform candidates. Ron Paul's endorsement means something. We need a long-term program for scouting candidates years in advance and grooming them to phrase the issues in non-divisive terms for a public new to these ideas, teaching them to speak in public, dress well, learn the particular issues that their area faces backwards and forwards and address them decisively. This organization also needs to produce high-quality materials and commercials to promote these candidates and help them get media coverage and funding. In addition this organization needs to maintain a large national network that it can mobilize for feet on the street support and campaigning for these candidates. This is what I see as the best direction for the CFL.
perfect

Mckarnin
06-15-2008, 05:38 PM
That's an excellent idea. If the mainstream media isn't interested, there are lots of super talented people within the movement who might want to do the project.

:)

I second that.

bucfish
06-15-2008, 06:17 PM
Also I think a money bomb right before the GOP Convention about a week before would send a message to them. But we better make it count!

Ninja Homer
06-15-2008, 07:28 PM
Lots of great ideas.

The biggest thing I'd like to see is an opening of the lines of communication between the CFL and grassroots here. There were hundreds if not thousands of great ideas posted here in the last year, and I'm not sure that the official campaign used any of them. I understand that they were bound by FEC laws, and couldn't really communicate with us, but that's no longer the case. Hopefully some people from the CFL will start communicating with us here.

I don't think integrating this forum with CFL would work real well. The only way it could possibly work would be to set up a sub-forum, give it its own set of rules, and somebody from CFL can do some heavy moderating. I think we can all agree that a lot of crap goes on here that we wouldn't want to see on a CFL forum, just for fear of the media using whatever crap that some anonymous user posts against Ron Paul. Think of the Ron Paul newsletter scandal, then multiply that by 20,000 anonymous posters that need to be moderated. Given all that, it would probably be best if CFL sets up their own forum.

If CFL does set up a forum, I think it may be best to set it up so that only people who donate get posting privileges, but make it publicly viewable. This provides incentive to donate, but the bigger thing is they'll have people's real confirmed names that they entered to get their credit card processed, so there shouldn't be much problem with troll posts.

ItsTime
06-15-2008, 07:32 PM
more seriously (from my first post). They need to make a "membership" for recurring income. Make there be levels of memberships. bronze silver gold, perks for each membership.

bronze $5.00/month you get a pin or sticker
silver $10/month you get pin and sticker
gold $50/month shirt pin sticker.

You know something like that...but better. This of course would be on top of other donations you can make. You can pay yearly upgrade your membership and all that.

MsDoodahs
06-15-2008, 07:32 PM
If CFL does set up a forum, I think it may be best to set it up so that only people who donate get posting privileges, but make it publicly viewable. This provides incentive to donate, but the bigger thing is they'll have people's real confirmed names that they entered to get their credit card processed, so there shouldn't be much problem with troll posts.

That's a good idea - removes the annonimity factor which removes the incentive to be a jerk.

edited to add: not removing annonimity for the posters with regard to their fellow posters - I mean whoever runs the CFL forum would know who each poster is...

MRoCkEd
06-15-2008, 07:37 PM
more seriously (from my first post). They need to make a "membership" for recurring income. Make there be levels of memberships. bronze silver gold, perks for each membership.

bronze $5.00/month you get a pin or sticker
silver $10/month you get pin and sticker
gold $50/month shirt pin sticker.

You know something like that...but better. This of course would be on top of other donations you can make. You can pay yearly upgrade your membership and all that.
it could include different privileges on the site/forum
maybe special invitations to events?
good idea

ItsTime
06-15-2008, 07:38 PM
it could include different privileges on the site/forum
maybe special invitations to events?
good idea

ya exactly. good idea with the invites.

malkusm
06-15-2008, 07:44 PM
As far as the grooming/training of candidates is concerned - this needs to be done on a local level. Each state should have a chapter/HQ which acts as a distribution center for literature, a place for volunteers to go to get information or marching orders, and a site where local candidates can get help. Government works best from the ground up, so we need to make our group work from the ground up, too. Get people involved at a local level, educate local candidates on what issues are most important to voters in their area, etc.

jsteilKS
06-15-2008, 09:04 PM
I know we have allot of unique minded people with talent. There should be a directory or business's owned by members of the CFL. We have to have members that do screen pressing, website design, and whatnot.

pinkmandy
06-15-2008, 09:29 PM
I also think each state should come up with its own site on a grassroots level. The CFL site should have an alphabetical listing to link to each state site. This is where grassroots can keep calendars of liberty events, what to do locally, how to get involved in your state, legislation pending...all that good stuff. Think of how marketable locally a site called Virginians for Liberty would be which would have links back to CFL ;) I'm just not technically gifted though I'd be happy to help w/writing, compiling information, promoting- anything but actually building the site, lol.

MsDoodahs
06-15-2008, 09:37 PM
I also think each state should come up with its own site on a grassroots level. The CFL site should have an alphabetical listing to link to each state site. This is where grassroots can keep calendars of liberty events, what to do locally, how to get involved in your state, legislation pending...all that good stuff. Think of how marketable locally a site called Virginians for Liberty would be which would have links back to CFL ;) I'm just not technically gifted though I'd be happy to help w/writing, compiling information, promoting- anything but actually building the site, lol.

That's another great idea.

mport1
06-15-2008, 10:40 PM
Great suggestions thusfar. I really hope the campaign uses the free and creative ideas of people in the movement to make this thing as successful as possible.

mport1
06-15-2008, 10:41 PM
Lots of great ideas.

The biggest thing I'd like to see is an opening of the lines of communication between the CFL and grassroots here. There were hundreds if not thousands of great ideas posted here in the last year, and I'm not sure that the official campaign used any of them. I understand that they were bound by FEC laws, and couldn't really communicate with us, but that's no longer the case. Hopefully some people from the CFL will start communicating with us here.

I don't think integrating this forum with CFL would work real well. The only way it could possibly work would be to set up a sub-forum, give it its own set of rules, and somebody from CFL can do some heavy moderating. I think we can all agree that a lot of crap goes on here that we wouldn't want to see on a CFL forum, just for fear of the media using whatever crap that some anonymous user posts against Ron Paul. Think of the Ron Paul newsletter scandal, then multiply that by 20,000 anonymous posters that need to be moderated. Given all that, it would probably be best if CFL sets up their own forum.

Very good points.

pinkmandy
06-16-2008, 07:53 AM

SnappleLlama
06-16-2008, 07:56 AM
I'm setting up a website with links to all chip-ins, fundraisers, website material for liberty-minded individuals, political acitvities, etc. it's going to be a collection of everything that's going on in the CFL, just so people have the information in one place. I'm still setting it up, but once it's live, people can send me any local/national grassroots links to their activities and I'll have it posted.

mport1
06-16-2008, 03:50 PM
Any more idea? There have been some great ones so far.

Another one I've got is having information on the website that helps in doing some preliminary training of activists? For example, how to have successful outreach programs or how to approach different people in convincing them of the message (what methods work and what don't). I really feel like we waste a lot of energy by not targeting people who have the highest possibility of coming on board. I'd like to see some studies done on the most effective tactics and types of people to approach. Also, maybe this information should be in some kind of members only area for people who have already signed up.

defe07
06-16-2008, 03:53 PM
Has anybody thought about trying to reach out to us Ron Paul supporters living abroad who can't be a member of the C4L? I just created a thread about using a Facebook group I created weeks ago called International Freedom Group. :D

mport1
06-16-2008, 04:03 PM
Has anybody thought about trying to reach out to us Ron Paul supporters living abroad who can't be a member of the C4L? I just created a thread about using a Facebook group I created weeks ago called International Freedom Group. :D

Why can't you be a member? It's not being regulated by the FEC right?

Mahkato
06-16-2008, 04:09 PM
In case you missed it, I posted a downloadable promo piece for the CfL here (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=142905).

Mckarnin
06-16-2008, 04:24 PM
Foreigners are "not allowed" to influence elections in the US by donating to groups that perform advocacy. That means that any organization that asks people to vote for candidates or lobby for legislation to be passed cannot be supported by foreign money. According to my research on the matter the only way that CFL could take money from non-citizens is by being a full blown non-profit organization that only performs education and 0 advocacy. I thought I heard they were a PAC somewhere...but no one else seems to have heard the same thing.

Why can't you be a member? It's not being regulated by the FEC right?

theantirobot
06-16-2008, 05:41 PM
Reddit is my preferred public discourse machine.
it's threads are easier to read, and comments and topics are voteable.

Here is our own reddit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/CFL

Here is this thread in reddit form.
http://www.reddit.com/info/6nngf/comments/

mport1
06-16-2008, 07:25 PM
In case you missed it, I posted a downloadable promo piece for the CfL here (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=142905).

Nice, looks very good.

mport1
06-19-2008, 06:37 PM
bump

HenryKnoxFineBooks
06-19-2008, 06:55 PM
I'd like to see CFL host a debate, with invitations to ALL the candidates. Dems, Reps, Lib, Constitut, Green, and Nader. Questions can be substantive questions concerning the constitution, monetary policy, strategic foreign policy, etc.

I'm sure the major parties wouldn't go for it, but the 3rd parties would. Maybe get FaceBook or GOOGLE to co-sponsor.

Heck, if we really want to push the limits, try to get Perot to chime in, with his new Perotcharts.com organization.

mport1
06-19-2008, 07:11 PM
That is an excellent idea!

MRoCkEd
06-19-2008, 07:16 PM
I'd like to see CFL host a debate, with invitations to ALL the candidates. Dems, Reps, Lib, Constitut, Green, and Nader. Questions can be substantive questions concerning the constitution, monetary policy, strategic foreign policy, etc.

I'm sure the major parties wouldn't go for it, but the 3rd parties would. Maybe get FaceBook or GOOGLE to co-sponsor.

Heck, if we really want to push the limits, try to get Perot to chime in, with his new Perotcharts.com organization.
EXCELLENT

mport1
06-19-2008, 07:20 PM
When are they going to come out with merchandise? I really want a bumper sticker and a shirt. I don't think the logo is great now though. Hopefully somebody will come up with something better.

brandon
06-19-2008, 07:33 PM
free porno. That will get soooo much attention. We will reach a wider audience then the combined forces of the MSM could.

HenryKnoxFineBooks
06-20-2008, 01:30 PM
bump

revolutionman
06-20-2008, 01:39 PM
i think an extensive contact page listing at least one CFL rep per state would be awsome. It could be difficult for a large national organization to stay on top of all the details, but if i really wanna help, I'd love to be able to contact some one locally, who can help me get involves even if its gotta be on a local level.

Pauliana
06-20-2008, 02:11 PM
great ideas!!!! I like:

*debate hosting
*party planning kits, ala "Liberty Salons"
*long-term candidate training
*documentary-style content, but that will require much work/funding/hiring

mediahasyou
06-20-2008, 04:42 PM
Needs a digg button on the blog.

jacmicwag
06-20-2008, 05:32 PM

Yes, and let Ron Paul be the moderator if the big guns would dare show.

Tarzan
06-21-2008, 01:26 PM
When are they going to come out with merchandise? I really want a bumper sticker and a shirt. I don't think the logo is great now though. Hopefully somebody will come up with something better.

http://gilbert-american.com/images/cfl-1.jpg

bucfish
06-21-2008, 01:47 PM
I think a delegate passout of Revolution the Manifesto to ALL delegates of both parties would be nice.

mport1
06-21-2008, 03:20 PM
http://gilbert-american.com/images/cfl-1.jpg

Those are much better than current logos. You should send those into the campaign.

mport1
06-25-2008, 04:44 PM
bump

MRoCkEd
06-25-2008, 05:34 PM
Encouraging new blog entry
http://www.campaignforliberty.com/blog/?p=70

mport1
06-25-2008, 07:50 PM
Encouraging new blog entry
http://www.campaignforliberty.com/blog/?p=70

Nice, I hope they have some good things in store and that they communicate with us much more on this project than the Presidential campaign.

fr33domfightr
06-25-2008, 09:25 PM
After just watching Larry King Live with Christina Aguilera who talked about RockTheVote.com, it dawned on me that the CFL really needs to aggressively target young voters and senior voters. Young voters seem to just go with the herd, without really thinking. Older voters tend to be very conservative in their voting, tending to not be open to new candidates. I think those groups really need to hear the sound of Liberty!!

FF

fr33domfightr
06-25-2008, 09:40 PM

Anyways...

Roho,

I liked your past/present idea about teaching about how freedoms & liberties have been lost. But what about this, add in a third part to show how things could be different today, IF WE AS A NATION ADOPTED CHANGES SUGGESTED BY RON PAUL. Any of RPs ideas could show a before & after, then what could be. It would definitely increase people's understanding of where we want to go.

FF

mport1
06-26-2008, 06:39 AM
After just watching Larry King Live with Christina Aguilera who talked about RockTheVote.com, it dawned on me that the CFL really needs to aggressively target young voters and senior voters. Young voters seem to just go with the herd, without really thinking. Older voters tend to be very conservative in their voting, tending to not be open to new candidates. I think those groups really need to hear the sound of Liberty!!

FF

I agree with the young voters part but I think we should not go after older people. While they do need to hear the liberty message, our resources would be better directed at areas where we have a better shot of success. Also, we are building a movement from the ground up and younger people frankly have more time to live and thus will hopefully be active in the movement for a long time to come (then again they also don't have as much money as older people).