PDA

View Full Version : Taking a bite out of crime, the Ron Paul way

christagious
06-15-2008, 10:50 AM
I've said a few times before that I'm running for city council where I live next year and I was wondering if anybody here could help me out on an issue that plagues my city. Crime, Gangs, Drugs:rolleyes:, etc...

First off, with drugs, although I'm for decriminalization and I believe that legalization would put gangs out of business and would eliminate the black market, but I can't really say that here; it would be political suicide in this city to come out and say that.

Anyways, what suggestions for crime and gangs do you guys (and gals) have? It's a big issue here in my city.

Here are a few ideas I've come up with so far:
First of all, we need some jobs and a better economy, that's one small step towards reducing crime.
Next, I would support and defend the right to self-defense. I'm sure you've all heard stories where a "bad guy" breaks into a "good guy's" house, "good guy" shoots or attacks the "bad guy" and the "good guy" gets arrested or sued.
If our government has the right to pre-emptively go to war with a country then I should have a right to blow your head off if you break into my house. (Yes, that was very blunt and to the point, i will definitely word it differently in the future)
But I think everybody should have the right to defend their home and family how they see fit. I need to look into the effectiveness of "neighborhood watch programs", but I just don't see how those work well, but I think "Neighborhood protections programs" or something along the lines of that where the people can not only protect their homes but also their commmunities and neighborhoods from the "bad guys" would help reduce crime too, for this I think we would need to encourage the arming of the citizens. I'm sure gangs and burglars would be less likely to break into a home if they were worried about that person having a weapon and not being afraid to use it.

How's it sound so far? And any suggestions?

orafi
06-15-2008, 12:49 PM
if it's just rhetoric just emulate rudy.

9/11 9/11 9/11

Bossobass
06-15-2008, 04:32 PM
The 2008 federal budget is nearly 3 trillion dollars.

Small businesses account for more than half of US GDP, yet the SBA budget has been slashed by double digits (once again) to 400 million dollars, or 1/6,000th of the federal budget.

I would corner the Congressmen and Senators with these statistics, showing them to be the root cause for the lack of jobs at a local level while they continue to vote for spending programs that fund war, big corporations and growing the federal government.

As a city councilman, I would focus on a plan to shift a percentage of confiscated drug money, real estate and vehicles to small business start ups and away from the War on Drugs, which obviously is failing miserably.

The plan should include tax breaks for all new small business start ups who hire non-violent drug offenders as part of a drug money funded rehab/jobs program.

The plan should also include an effort to arrest and convict any public servant or police force employee who is involved in taking drug money for protection, etc. in any official capacity.

Target inner-city abandoned properties and involve local architects/college interns to a contest for designs to turn those abandoned buildings into small businesses that will generate jobs and tax revenues, based on statistics of local needs for goods and services the community lacks, as part of the program.

This is only a general stream of thoughts on the subject, and the stats at the top of my post are correct and current, unbelievable as they are.

To quote Don Cheedle's character, a local drug dealer, in the movie Bullworth, "How's a brother supposed to support a family workin' at muthafuckin' McDonalds?...HE AIN'T!"

It should be a very simple way to separate yourself from the rest of the wanks whom you're running against and I have yet to meet a politician who is for the cuts in SBA's budget when cornered with the statistics vs the rest of the gargantuan federal budget.

Just my 2 cents...

Bosso

christagious
06-15-2008, 09:07 PM
The 2008 federal budget is nearly 3 trillion dollars.

Small businesses account for more than half of US GDP, yet the SBA budget has been slashed by double digits (once again) to 400 million dollars, or 1/6,000th of the federal budget.

I would corner the Congressmen and Senators with these statistics, showing them to be the root cause for the lack of jobs at a local level while they continue to vote for spending programs that fund war, big corporations and growing the federal government.

As a city councilman, I would focus on a plan to shift a percentage of confiscated drug money, real estate and vehicles to small business start ups and away from the War on Drugs, which obviously is failing miserably.

The plan should include tax breaks for all new small business start ups who hire non-violent drug offenders as part of a drug money funded rehab/jobs program.

The plan should also include an effort to arrest and convict any public servant or police force employee who is involved in taking drug money for protection, etc. in any official capacity.

Target inner-city abandoned properties and involve local architects/college interns to a contest for designs to turn those abandoned buildings into small businesses that will generate jobs and tax revenues, based on statistics of local needs for goods and services the community lacks, as part of the program.

This is only a general stream of thoughts on the subject, and the stats at the top of my post are correct and current, unbelievable as they are.

To quote Don Cheedle's character, a local drug dealer, in the movie Bullworth, "How's a brother supposed to support a family workin' at muthafuckin' McDonalds?...HE AIN'T!"

It should be a very simple way to separate yourself from the rest of the wanks whom you're running against and I have yet to meet a politician who is for the cuts in SBA's budget when cornered with the statistics vs the rest of the gargantuan federal budget.

Just my 2 cents...

Bosso

I thank you kindly, this is excellent information and advice; exactly the kind of stuff I've been looking for. Again, thank you.