PDA

View Full Version : A better way to network than Meetup groups

ninepointfive
06-14-2008, 08:20 PM
I am part of a technology committee of our local meetup group going forward.

We are looking at ways to organize through the internet, but not use the meetup site anymore.

Does anyone have any suggestions? We don't want to pay any fees. Hopefully there is something stemming from the Campaign for Liberty going forward we can all use to network with both nationally and locally.

-Brandon

Bryan
06-14-2008, 09:05 PM
In the past I have been a huge critic of meetup.com - putting the quality of it on par with what I'd expect from someones spare-time project from 10 year ago... but they are getting better, but most important, don't under estimate the recruiting power of meet-up as it cross promotes groups, allows for easy searches and suggests a general openness to the group. As for fees, it's not that bad if you use all three of the groups alloted per fee payer. So you can consider it $5/month advertising.

Just my $0.02.

ninepointfive
06-14-2008, 09:24 PM
sure, sure...

I've had some suggestions as far as a program called "Drupal" goes....

But we're currently migrating away from the "meetup" site. Thanks for the 0.02. Is anyone aware of something comparable to meetup?

Thanks!

WRellim
06-14-2008, 09:39 PM
I am part of a technology committee of our local meetup group going forward.

We are looking at ways to organize through the internet, but not use the meetup site anymore.

Does anyone have any suggestions? We don't want to pay any fees. Hopefully there is something stemming from the Campaign for Liberty going forward we can all use to network with both nationally and locally.

-Brandon

So in other words, you like Meetup, but you want something for nothing (because the cost of $12 to $15 per month for a group of people is just too high?)

Would you like a free lunch with that too?

:rolleyes:

Bryan
06-14-2008, 09:48 PM
So in other words, you like Meetup, but you want something for nothing (because the cost of $12 to $15 per month for a group of people is just too high?)

Would you like a free lunch with that too?

:rolleyes:
Actually, it's little known but the $12/month gets you THREE groups- so that's $4/month- which is very reasonable for the advertising value alone- the cost of a few push cards. :)

WRellim
06-15-2008, 06:14 AM
Actually, it's little known but the $12/month gets you THREE groups- so that's $4/month- which is very reasonable for the advertising value alone- the cost of a few push cards. :)

I don't know if that is "little known" -- we took significant advantage of it in our state... and used it to "sponsor" several additional groups.

But yes, your point is true -- provided a groups can "live with" someone else (from a nearby group) as their formal "organizer" the cost can go down to as little as $4 a month -- which for say a modest sized group of 20 people comes to a contribution of 20 CENTS per member per month... not exactly a "tithe" is it.

And even WITHOUT the 3 group spread, the cost is only $12-15 per month -- even if it were a tiny group of say 5 people, that is still only about $3 per person per month (even still far short of a "tithe").

Seriously, it never ceases to amaze me at just how TIGHT people can be -- they want to be PAID for doing the least little thing, but heaven forbid that they should have to PAY for anything!

I've always thought *I* was a frugal tight-wad (and I know I am) but I;ve always felt Meetup.com was a bargain. (And I am a web developer who COULD recreate the thing with a few weeks worth of effort... but the cost even for me would still be higher).

ninepointfive
06-15-2008, 10:04 AM
blah blah blah, if you can't help other than give me crap then don't reply.

tangent4ronpaul
06-15-2008, 10:24 AM
Yahoo and Google groups are both free. Yahoo seems to have the fewest restrictions and is the closest to Meetup, Google has better tools - spreadsheets, shared docs, etc.

There are also Facebook and MySpace groups - both have serious shortcomings.

All the above options are free.

If you want a serious learning curve and a major headache, go with drupal. It will do anything you want, including wash the windows but customizing it at all is a pain unless you have someone that already is a drupal developer in your group. You will also pay more for hosting it than Meetup will cost you.

-n

crazyfingers
06-15-2008, 10:44 AM
Yahoo and Google groups are both free. Yahoo seems to have the fewest restrictions and is the closest to Meetup, Google has better tools - spreadsheets, shared docs, etc.

There are also Facebook and MySpace groups - both have serious shortcomings.

All the above options are free.

If you want a serious learning curve and a major headache, go with drupal. It will do anything you want, including wash the windows but customizing it at all is a pain unless you have someone that already is a drupal developer in your group. You will also pay more for hosting it than Meetup will cost you.

-n

Yeah, I think Yahoo Groups is probably the best free option. That is what the Republican Liberty Caucus uses and it seems to work fine.

UtahApocalypse
06-15-2008, 10:56 AM
The recent makeover of meetup caused me to cancel. Its a terrible site now. it lods slow, is buggy, hard to get around. It was much better before.

xRedfoxx
06-15-2008, 11:25 AM
I have emailed Campaign for Freedom with the request they set up something like Meetup but organized by state, county, and precinct.....to get us ready for four years out. Please request the same over and over until we get it. It makes no sense to pay Meetup the fees.

tangent4ronpaul
06-15-2008, 12:18 PM
I have emailed Campaign for Freedom with the request they set up something like Meetup but organized by state, county, and precinct.....to get us ready for four years out. Please request the same over and over until we get it. It makes no sense to pay Meetup the fees.

The CfL have not decided what is going to happen about this, and even if the decision is to go with building our own community site from scratch, it wouldn't be ready for some time.

The reality is that we get nice cross-fertilization and access to potential supporters through sites like Meetup, Yahoo, Google, Facebook and MySpace. I think it is a fair assumption that we will have a presence on these sites forever for this reason alone. The question is how big a presence and will they be the main organizing engine or will we "roll our own".

-n

ninepointfive
06-16-2008, 01:34 PM

^I've been thinking this is a great idea.

Thank you all for your added suggestions. I'll be sure to check out what Yahoo and Google have to offer.

Peace&Freedom
06-16-2008, 02:17 PM
I will suggest what I have before---that Paul supporters move OFF of the internet more in their networking. If the organizers have got a phone and mailing list for their active members, there is little remaining reason for maintaining undue dependency on online organizing, free or fee. The folks who actually have shown up for more than a few functions are the foundation for true organic growth, while the inactive, stray cat, wrong herd rest are deadweight, whose numbers give the groups an unrealistic sense of the movement's vitality. If we're ALREADY connected, who needs a web community structure that didn't win us a primary?

In my area we have continued the meetup.com announcements only as a formality or point of reference, and consolidated the active meetup members into the county LP meetings (which they come to WITHOUT relying on seeing the web/email notices). We SEE each other several times a month, no online gabbing or centralized projects needed, and we gave most of them party positions or jobs. To de-plug the masses from the Matrix, we simply have to start with ourselves.