PDA

View Full Version : Texas City - Today

constituent
08-26-2007, 07:37 AM
gonna start this thread now before leaving. anyone seen the houston or tx city newspapers?

any updates?

MsDoodahs
08-26-2007, 08:34 AM
Leaving shortly, it's a long drive for us but I'll report back when we return.

AND, I'm taking the CAMERA so if I can figure out how to put pictures on here:o , I will try to have some for y'all.

Identifying info: the couple with the old woman in a wheelchair.

kylejack
08-26-2007, 10:56 AM
I'm at the venue now. Lots of people setting up food and stuff.

cujothekitten
08-26-2007, 10:58 AM
Good luck guys, I'm looking forward to the updates :)

kylejack
08-26-2007, 11:44 AM
Lew is in the house, looking sharp with a tiny bluetooth headset.

Cowlesy
08-26-2007, 11:46 AM
Lew is in the house, looking sharp with a tiny bluetooth headset.

They surgically attached it to his ear---it was clever

xcalybur
08-26-2007, 01:07 PM
I am currently here at the Birthday party. There is a LOT of people here. We are listening to a video about Ron Paul right now while about 200 people are standing inline to get food. My daughter and I decided not to get food, but we got some cake. Very very good cake.

xcalybur
08-26-2007, 01:15 PM
We just sang happy birthday to him and Ron Paul and his wife are cutting the cake right now.

0zzy
08-26-2007, 01:17 PM
justin.tv that shiz!

xcalybur
08-26-2007, 01:20 PM
They are talking about the auction right now.
Rifles on auction, 10 oz. silver bar, a couple of Ron Paul Silver Liberty coins and some other stuff.

DjLoTi
08-26-2007, 01:21 PM
I heard there's like 1400 ppl there

0zzy
08-26-2007, 01:31 PM
DAMN! I want to go!

If only 1400 are there, how do we expect to get 5000 in Pennsylvania ?

xcalybur
08-26-2007, 01:43 PM
I'd say that there is around 1200-1500 here. It's hard to tell. The thing is that I don't think you could fit any more than about 1500 in this venue anyways.

kylejack
08-26-2007, 04:25 PM
100 tables in venue, times 8 chairs per table plus 100 standing is about 900.

Sematary
08-26-2007, 04:27 PM
DAMN! I want to go!

If only 1400 are there, how do we expect to get 5000 in Pennsylvania ?

The east coast is a little more heavily populated. Philly is within five or six hours of 2/3 of the country

Sematary
08-26-2007, 04:28 PM
Has anyone spoken to Ron Paul about the Philly Rally?

lynnf
08-26-2007, 05:03 PM
The east coast is a little more heavily populated. Philly is within five or six hours of 2/3 of the country

Texas City is not the best place to hold something like this. It's down on the coast (somewhat remote) and has many oil and chemical refineries around and you get the smell that comes with those facilities. That would keep some people away. I'd say 1500 would be a very good crowd under those circumstances.

lynn

Dlynne
08-26-2007, 05:27 PM
Has anyone spoken to Ron Paul about the Philly Rally?

Yes, I spoke with him and his campaign staff today. I will send you an email/private message about it. I'd say that things look good. Dlynne.

Lord Xar
08-26-2007, 05:33 PM

Sematary
08-26-2007, 05:43 PM
Yes, I spoke with him and his campaign staff today. I will send you an email/private message about it. I'd say that things look good. Dlynne.

That sounds great!

constituent
08-26-2007, 06:16 PM
it was awesome! ron paul gave an excellent speech.

he started off a little slow and sounded pretty tired, but fed off the overwhelmingly positive vibe and really got going!!!!

he hit all of the important points and much much much more!!!

i was getting really tired of hearing the "hi, i'm ron paul... this is me in 5 minutes" bit....

man what a relief!!!

and i saw lew rockwell! lew rockwell!!!

he was there, that was awesome! i really enjoy lewrockwell.com and so that was kinda like seeing a rock star (sorta... for me... i'm kinda strange anyway).

i didn't manage to figure out who the ron paul radio people were so i didn't get to get w/ them... which was unfortunate... but perhaps next time!

the food left much to be desired, but congressman paul did great! well worth the 12.50 or whatever it was....

see you in ft. worth!

MsDoodahs
08-26-2007, 07:34 PM
Whew. We're finally home. It was around a hundred mile drive for us to get there. :o

Great turnout. I have no idea how many, but it was a packed house. When we went in, there were only about 3 tables in the back without people already seated, so we grabbed one of those. There were chairs all along the back wall, and people filled those during Ron's speech, still more people were standing, and some milling about in the hall, and even some outside with their kids.

Saw Lew, chatted with him for a bit. Saw Josh. Saw Bryan across the room but didn't make it over to say hello. He was busy with recording equipment. Saw a gent and his wife from the Houston meetup group. Met a few new people, none from here, though.

Music at the beginning was WAY too loud IMO.

Food was okay.

Auction was nice, raised some $ for the campaign.

The MC guy said that we raised more at this event than they did at the one in San Antonio.

Good to see Carol Paul, she thanked everyone for our prayers and said she is doing fine now.

(I admit to being a little disappointed that Lew did not speak. If you ever get the opportunity to hear Lew Rockwell speak - TAKE IT. He's one of the best speakers ever IMO.)

Ron's speech was good - he hit on all the important stuff, more issues than I've heard him go into in any speech thus far. Because he hit everything, the speech felt a little bit long to me.

I'm spoiled from having been to Mises Institute events where there are less people and so a lot more opportunity to interact directly with the speakers, and this was very different from those. But, for a campaign event featuring a very popular candidate, this seemed like a great event to me.

:)

Brian
08-26-2007, 07:59 PM
The crowd seemed like a local constituency kind of thing, so there was not the super high energy Paulinites associated with the other events. I was the only out-of-stater that I met. I believe it was one of Ron's grand-daughters that sung a song called "The Ballad of Ron Paul" ??? Everyone clapped along. She was great and so cute with her Texas draw. It had that hoe-down kind of feeling. I got to meet the Ron Paul monkey. He seemed upset and screached at me the whole time.

james1844
08-26-2007, 08:04 PM
Okay...we need a vid of the monkey...

Bryan
08-26-2007, 08:31 PM
Okay...we need a vid of the monkey...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfQL2ra5a-w

Elwar
08-26-2007, 08:44 PM
I just got back.

From my count it was 12 tables across and 10 tables back. Our table had 9 chairs.
9*12*10 => 1080 plus about 50 standing and at chairs on the sides...

He gave a great speech as always.

BarryDonegan
08-26-2007, 08:45 PM
that ron paul monkey trips me out. so fitting. they tried to chip the monkey with an rfid chip and theres already unrest. wait till they try and force it on people

kylejack
08-26-2007, 08:47 PM
http://www.kyle.tornado-networks.com/ronpaul/gwback.jpeg
http://www.kyle.tornado-networks.com/ronpaul/gwdoor.jpeg
http://www.kyle.tornado-networks.com/ronpaul/gwleft.jpeg
http://www.kyle.tornado-networks.com/ronpaul/gwright.jpeg
http://www.kyle.tornado-networks.com/ronpaul/withrp.jpeg
http://www.kyle.tornado-networks.com/ronpaul/smile.jpeg
http://www.kyle.tornado-networks.com/ronpaul/lj.jpeg

kylejack
08-26-2007, 08:48 PM
Oh sh, I blew out the margins.

0zzy
08-26-2007, 08:50 PM
Dude, jade rocks! She's the official Ron Paul gal now! hahaha :) Super awesome.

princessredtights
08-26-2007, 09:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfQL2ra5a-w

Okay - that monkey is too darn cute!!! I like how "he" mentions that Aravoth's videos are his favorite! :p (good taste, Buddy)

amberj
08-26-2007, 10:25 PM
Here's a link to one of the Houston meetups. We've got 24 photos up of the BBQ and the 2 mile march before the event.

http://ronpaul.meetup.com/722/photos/

jblosser
08-27-2007, 08:31 AM
Has anyone seen video up yet anywhere?

Elwar
08-27-2007, 10:37 AM
I was driving to the BBQ and was a little bit lost in Texas City...I kinda had a good idea of where it was but I saw a car in front of me with a Ron Paul bumper sticker from Louisiana. So I followed her figuring she knew where she was going.

Then I got kinda worried because I was following her through all of these side streets and didn't want her to freak out so I took a left when she went right...turns out I went the right way and she went the wrong way. I didn't see her car come to the parking lot so if you were lost and thought you had a stalker, that was me :)

ScotTX
08-27-2007, 07:12 PM
August 27, 2007

Thank you so much for letting us know you would be attending the Ron Paul Bar-B-Q and Birthday Party. We had a great time and a wonderful turnout Sunday with over 1,300 people in attendance at the Convention Center in Texas City.

Ron and Carol Paul asked me to thank you for all your support and for being an important part of the campaign. With wonderful friends like you working for the cause of Freedom and Liberty the future truly does look bright.

As I mentioned at the BBQ, those who would like to hear Ron Paul speak again this coming Saturday in Fort Worth at the event hosted by the Texas Republican Party, are invited to join other friends and supporters of Congressman Paul on chartered buses leaving from Houston, Austin and San Antonio areas on Saturday morning and returning that same evening. You can join the fun and excitement of the Ron Paul Road Trip by contacting Jean McIver at Jean@dwmservices.com . Jean will be glad to take your reservation, fill you in on the details and answer any questions you might have about the bus trip.

We'd love to see you in Fort Worth as we cheer on Ron Paul and lend your support to his Freedom message.

Thank you again for being a part of Sunday's Ron Paul celebration. We look forward to working with you in yet another exciting Ron Paul campaign.

Mark Elam
Campaign Manager
Congressman Ron Paul