PDA

View Full Version : great thing about the CFL

garrettwombat
06-14-2008, 05:48 PM
no donation limits...

if we want to make liberty commercials or other things like a liberty airship

we could fuel this thing to the max and not have to worry about campaign donation limits.

ClayTrainor
06-14-2008, 05:53 PM
Yea that's amazing.

I hope we have picked up some millionaire supporters in the last few months.

Mckarnin
06-14-2008, 05:55 PM
no donation limits...

we could fuel this thing to the max and not have to worry about campaign donation limits.

I feel like I saw that it is a PAC somewhere (which would have some limits). It will be interesting to see what they chose because if it isn't a PAC they can only spend 50% or less of the money they receive on advocacy for candidates and legislation...unless there is a legal designation I don't know about.

Kludge
06-14-2008, 05:59 PM
I feel like I saw that it is a PAC somewhere (which would have some limits). It will be interesting to see what they chose because if it isn't a PAC they can only spend 50% or less of the money they receive on advocacy for candidates and legislation...unless there is a legal designation I don't know about.

That's 50% for advocating our ideology!

501(c)(4) ("educational") is tax-deductible too, ain't it?

I'm unsure of what it is exactly.

Joseph Hart
06-14-2008, 06:47 PM
This will bring out our Billionaires.

haaaylee
06-14-2008, 06:52 PM
i don't think it's a PAC, when asked that Ron kind of went "ehhhhhh uhh. sort of...." and mentioned his other PAC. ..

Mckarnin
06-14-2008, 07:09 PM
That's 50% for advocating our ideology!

501(c)(4) ("educational") is tax-deductible too, ain't it?

I'm unsure of what it is exactly.

I studied this before choosing the initial legal designation for Freedom's Ground.

501 (c)(3)'s allow unlimited, tax deductible donations but require names and info. for all donors and the organization cannot advocate for candidates for public office at all.

501 (c)(4)'s (what I chose for FG) allow unlimited donations that are not tax deductible but the org. does not have to pay taxes on donations, no information on donors has to be submitted to the IRS and at least 50% of all money received has to go for educational work that does not promote candidates/ bash candidates.

PAC's have different donation limits depending on whether they are for a single candidate or multiple candidates and they allow for unlimited advocacy.

Conza88
06-14-2008, 10:01 PM

LOL. :cool:

Misesian
06-14-2008, 10:46 PM
I studied this before choosing the initial legal designation for Freedom's Ground.

501 (c)(3)'s allow unlimited, tax deductible donations but require names and info. for all donors and the organization cannot advocate for candidates for public office at all.

501 (c)(4)'s (what I chose for FG) allow unlimited donations that are not tax deductible but the org. does not have to pay taxes on donations, no information on donors has to be submitted to the IRS and at least 50% of all money received has to go for educational work that does not promote candidates/ bash candidates.

PAC's have different donation limits depending on whether they are for a single candidate or multiple candidates and they allow for unlimited advocacy.

Yes but a lot of organizations have both a 501(c)(3) for the educational part of it and a 501(c)(4) for the lobbying part of it.

The National Taxpayers Union does this and also Citizens Against Government Waste.

WRellim
06-15-2008, 03:12 AM
no donation limits...

Hold the horses... until you know for CERTAIN what type of legal structure this "CFL" has, you cannot know whether their are limitations on donations, or what those limits are.

The fact that ONE of it's "mission" points is to "promote candidates" means THAT some part of the organization will need to be a type of PAC... in which case LIMITS will still apply.

And even if it is a "two-headed beast" like MoveOn (which has both a PAC and a 501(c)(4) "civic action" side) then donations will need to be specifically "tagged" as to whether they are for the PAC or for the "educational" side).

IMO, they'd better get their butt in gear and make it CLEAR as to what type of organization the current donations are going towards... as of right now, that CFL donation web-page is really risking problems with the FEC regs -- as it doesn't even tell you WHO the donations are going to , the only "contact" info there is a street address... not even a formal name of an organization.

theantirobot
06-16-2008, 01:56 AM

millions of billionaires