PDA

View Full Version : Declaration against the war

CMoore
08-26-2007, 12:31 AM
Does anybody out there know who said the following and when?

I am making this statement as an act of wilful defiance of military authority, because I believe that the War is being deliberately prolonged by those who have the power to end it. I am a soldier, convinced that I am acting on behalf of soldiers. I believe that this War, on which I entered as a war of defence and liberation, has now become a war of aggression and conquest. I believe that the purpose for which I and my fellow soldiers entered upon this war should have been so clearly stated as to have made it impossible to change them, and that, had this been done, the objects which actuated us would now be attainable by negotiation. I have seen and endured the sufferings of the troops, and I can no longer be a party to prolong these sufferings for ends which I believe to be evil and unjust. I am not protesting against the conduct of the war, but against the political errors and insincerities for which the fighting men are being sacrificed. On behalf of those who are suffering now I make this protest against the deception which is being practised on them; also I believe that I may help to destroy the callous complacency with which the majority of those at home regard the contrivance of agonies which they do not, and which they have not sufficient imagination to realize

axiomata
08-26-2007, 12:38 AM
google is your friend

http://www.counterpunch.org/sassoon04122007.html

CMoore
08-26-2007, 12:44 AM
google is your friend

Indeed. I just wondered if anyone else out there knew about Sassoon and his Soldiers Declaration. In the last couple of years I have become rather fascinated with WWI and I have been reading extensively about it. I can't help but feel that we are repeating the same mistakes over again without even realizing what we are doing. Harry Browne introduced me to the idea that we should have stayed out of WWI and the more I read, the more I am convinced he was right. Ron Paul is enough of a scholar that he goes back to Woodrow Wilson in discussing current events. I have to laugh when I hear people blaming Jimmy Carter for the mess in the Middle East. It goes back much further than that.