PDA

View Full Version : Truancy = Unconstitutional?

Patriot123
06-12-2008, 05:23 PM
So recently I've been thinking about how absurd truancy is in public schools; how it's illegal to just miss school and that you can be arrested for doing so, as a kid or teenager of course. Now one day I just read through my high schools rules and regulations page, and it very much limits our freedom of speech, expression, etcetera. Basic rights. So I thought to myself, "well, that's their right as a school to regulate what happens on their property." But then I thought to myself about truancy and whatnot. School policies very much infringe on rights, as you cannot simply leave the school, even if a parent of the student wants to take the student out. Unless there's a reason, of course. However, the student is lawfully required to not only attend a school but follow the rules provided under penalty of arrest whether indirectly or directly through truancy. Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for an education. But it sort of strikes me odd how blatantly stupid truancy laws are. So that leads me to this question:

Constitutionally speaking, could truancy laws be considered unconstitutional as they force students to not only have their rights stripped from them while in school but force students to give up their right of free movement and such?

pinkmandy
06-12-2008, 05:28 PM
That's the goal. If you are trained to accept not having rights TPTB have it much easier. Public schools give the state "ownership" of kids. It's just another piece of the puzzle.

Patriot123
06-12-2008, 05:37 PM
But that doesn't answer my question... Are truancy laws unconstitutional or do states have the right to impose them?

pinkmandy
06-12-2008, 05:42 PM
I don't see how they can be considered constitutional. Schools aren't about being constitutional, though. They're about learning to trust in and obey authority.

Carole
06-12-2008, 06:22 PM
That is an interesting question in light of the schools' obvious pushing aside of parents' rights over their children regarding student privacy in matters of sexual behavior and in matters of sexual instruction in school.

Schools have way too much control over students in some ways, expecially regarding curriculum and who writes those text books with a liberal agenda put forward in them, so I have heard over and over.

Home schooling or private schooling may be the only alternatives.

electronicmaji
06-12-2008, 06:44 PM
children have no rights according the USA.

asgardshill
06-12-2008, 07:24 PM
Now one day I just read through my high schools rules and regulations page, and it very much limits our freedom of speech, expression, etcetera. Basic rights. So I thought to myself, "well, that's their right as a school to regulate what happens on their property." But then I thought to myself about truancy and whatnot. School policies very much infringe on rights, as you cannot simply leave the school, even if a parent of the student wants to take the student out.

Sure you can (or your parents can). Homeschooling has become a more and more viable option as more people are beginning to realize what a bloody indoctrination camp the public schools have become. And unless you live in one of the few gulags that egregiously over-regulates homeschoolers and homeschools, homeschooling is still legal in the US.

bill50
06-12-2008, 07:38 PM
children have no rights according the USA.

You got that right. I obeyed all of the rules of school. I signed myself out of school after I turned 18, but once you're 18 its a little different story. People under the age of 18 are treated as non-citizens. I can see how a school might be able to take some of the responsibilities of a guardian if their legal guardian leaves the children in the care of the school system for 8 hours a day, but most school rules are overly restrictive and treater people that are almost adults, adults (depending on your idea of when a person becomes an adult), or even legally adults.

Patriot123
06-12-2008, 08:44 PM
Sure you can (or your parents can). Homeschooling has become a more and more viable option as more people are beginning to realize what a bloody indoctrination camp the public schools have become. And unless you live in one of the few gulags that egregiously over-regulates homeschoolers and homeschools, homeschooling is still legal in the US.

For medical reasons, sure. But what I mean is if, say, parents want to take their children out for extended periods of time. They cannot. Why? Truancy laws. There are restrictions to how, why and for how long children can miss school. In all honesty, it's all most as if the state has more control over America's children than their parents, which really irks me. It's almost like Hitlers Youth; the camps that Hitler instated which Germany's youth was forced to attend. Just without the like propaganda and whatnot. But that idea of being forced attend something where the parents have no say.

asgardshill
06-12-2008, 10:16 PM
For medical reasons, sure. But what I mean is if, say, parents want to take their children out for extended periods of time.

With respect, my cousin's 8 year old has never set foot in a public school. He's been homeschooled all his life and never will attend public school.

Patriot123
06-12-2008, 11:42 PM
With respect, my cousin's 8 year old has never set foot in a public school. He's been homeschooled all his life and never will attend public school.
But even then, it's forced education. Say a parent simply did not want their child educated for whatever reasons. They have no choice. This is where I'm going. It almost seems as if the state has more rights on America's children than do the actual parents, and it's startling. But that's getting off topic... Question is whether it's unconstitutional or not; whether states are granted the right to have such laws.