PDA

View Full Version : Does anything really change because of this?

AJ Antimony
06-12-2008, 03:13 PM
I posted this is another thread but I think it deserves its own:

If you think about it nothing is really changing with this announcement.

1. He still will have his RNC delegates. They're not going to change their vote.
2. There are no more primary contests, so it's like not Romney dropping out right in the thick of things.
3. He still has not and will not endorse McCain.
4. He still urges Republicanism.
5. He still is calling for a rally in St. Paul so it's not like he's going away

The only thing that's different now as compared to yesterday is no more campaign finance laws! Everything else I think is going to stay the same...

Am I right?

Kludge
06-12-2008, 03:17 PM

1. He still will have his RNC delegates. They're not going to change their vote.
2. There are no more primary contests, so it's like not Romney dropping out right in the thick of things.

The only thing that's different now as compared to yesterday is no more campaign finance laws! Everything else I think is going to stay the same...

Am I right?

That's a BIG difference. The campaign has been sitting on $5 million for... as long as I can remember (a short time, by my own admittance.)

AJ Antimony
06-12-2008, 03:19 PM
That's a BIG difference. The campaign has been sitting on $5 million for... as long as I can remember (a short time, by my own admittance.)

Yes but aside from that, essentially nothing is different, correct?

Kludge
06-12-2008, 03:21 PM
Yes but aside from that, essentially nothing is different, correct?

There will likely be a shift of focus from Dr. Paul to our congressional candidates.

Jeremy
06-12-2008, 03:22 PM
There will likely be a shift of focus from Dr. Paul to our congressional candidates.

thankfully! bj lawson needs some cash :D

Rangeley
06-12-2008, 03:28 PM
At first my worry was it might hurt our efforts at conventions... but then I remembered we had been denied equal time already, so it wouldn't change anything in that regard. Further, our delegates are committed and will go regardless.

The ability to spend the remaining money on other candidates is a good idea, and could really prove helpful in races around the country.

Drknows
06-12-2008, 03:29 PM
john mccain crying at the convention.

WRellim
06-12-2008, 03:33 PM

Am I right?

Umm, don't bet your bottom dollar on that. Campaign finance laws apply to OTHER organizations as well as "campaigns" -- and the "mission" statement that they will be "promoting candidates" means this org WILL be subject to some type of campaign law.

What we don't know at this point in time is WHAT TYPE of organization this is. Is it a Federal level PAC? Is it a 527? Do they plan on "promoting candidates" at the individual STATE office level as well as Federal? (If so, they've just stepped in a quagmire, as they will then have to deal with an obey the various laws of the 50 different states AS WELL as the FEC.)

So the long and the short of it is this changes nothing in regards to the money situation -- beyond disassociating it from the "Presidential" campaign of Ron Paul himself -- but exactly how, we cannot know until they come out with (or we dig up) exactly what type of organization it is.

Jeremy
06-12-2008, 03:55 PM
bump