PDA

View Full Version : Big News! Campaign for President Ends! "Campaign for Liberty" Begins!

Dave
06-12-2008, 12:53 PM
Rep. Ron Paul's presidential campaign, which was a pugnacious, ideological crusade against big government and interventionist leanings in the Republican party, will officially end Thursday at a rally outside the Texas GOP's convention, ABC News has learned.

Paul told supporters back in March, in a video posted on his website, that he was "winding down" his campaign and planning a new phase to what he and fans call their "revolution."

The new phase of the revolution officially begins with a speech tonight in Houston and a web video to be posted on his website, officially ending Paul's presidential campaign and freeing up the more than $4.7 million in campaign cash for investment in a new advocacy group, The Campaign for Liberty.

The new entity will be used to push a slate of libertarian-minded Republican candidates for public office in local districts nationwide, according to a description provided to ABC News by the Paul campaign. Paul also recently published a new book on his political philosophy, The Revolution: A Manifesto.

Here's more:
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Vote2008/story?id=5056019&page=1

Menthol Patch
06-12-2008, 12:59 PM
I hope someone like Ron Paul will run for President, because otherwise I will have no one to vote for. The neocon Bob Barr is sure not getting my vote.

SnappleLlama
06-12-2008, 01:01 PM
Say it ain't so, Joe... :(

Sally08
06-12-2008, 01:04 PM
Ron Paul to End Campaign, Launches New Effort
Supporters Plot Shadow Convention, More Revolution
By Z. BYRON WOLF
June 12, 2008

bucfish
06-12-2008, 01:04 PM
He we got the chance to help get other public offices. Not too mention we got a rough four years ahead of us so let's things started to run each and every year as many Liberty candidates we can. Be nice to see RP have a couple of friends in Congress!

SnappleLlama
06-12-2008, 01:05 PM
Interesting how the MSM is now paying attention to Ron Paul...

Kludge
06-12-2008, 01:05 PM
I hope someone like Ron Paul will run for President, because otherwise I will have no one to vote for. The neocon Bob Barr is sure not getting my vote.

Barr is not a neocon.... Baldwin is closer to Dr. Paul's platform though if you dislike the LP nominee.

LibertyEagle
06-12-2008, 01:07 PM
Folks, wait for Ron Paul to announce the Campaign for Liberty and what it's going to be all about. I think you will be very excited about it. :)

All this means is that we're transitioning to the next phase. NO ONE is giving up on this movement. Quite the contrary.

Jeremy
06-12-2008, 01:07 PM
If this is true about helping out the Ron Paul Republicans... this is very good news! The Lawson campaign needs a push of money to help them... they have everything going right, but they've needed donations.

Kludge
06-12-2008, 01:09 PM
Folks, wait for Ron Paul to announce the Campaign for Liberty and what it's going to be all about. I think you will be very excited about it. :)

All this means is that we're transitioning to the next phase. NO ONE is giving up on this movement. Quite the contrary.

Nice to know that the $5 million can finally be used effectively.

Dave
06-12-2008, 01:11 PM

http://www.campaignforliberty.com

It looks like we're shooting for 100,000 members by 9/2/08 (the date of the Ron Paul "convention" in St. Paul)!

We only have 33 right now - how fast do you think that will change?:D

amy31416
06-12-2008, 01:13 PM
Well, it's been coming, but I'm looking forward to a new direction.

Rangeley
06-12-2008, 01:13 PM
I would be skeptical of this until we get some official word. Z Byron Wolf has reported two times prior to this that he has dropped out, both times incorrect (obviously.) Ron Paul's site only says its a major announcement, and does not go into specifics.

He might be right this time, but his total lack of credibility as a reporter definitely raises questions.

crazyfingers
06-12-2008, 01:15 PM
Thank you Ron Paul and I promise to keep fighting for freedom until the day I die!

Kludge
06-12-2008, 01:18 PM
I would be skeptical of this until we get some official word. Z Byron Wolf has reported two times prior to this that he has dropped out, both times incorrect (obviously.)

He might be right this time, but his total lack of credibility definitely raises questions.

The campaign launched http://www.campaignforliberty.com/. Our previous phase of the movement is definitely and officially over.

josh24601
06-12-2008, 01:19 PM
This is spectacular news.

If you've ever listened to a word Ron Paul has said, you'd understand that the type of fundamental, widespread change we need does not come from one Leader figurehead at the top. The change needs to come from the citizens, at the very basic levels of society, from the bottom up.

This is the beginning of that movement.

It's time for all of the Weekend Ron Paul Warriors to either slink away for good or dig in for the long haul.

Oyate
06-12-2008, 01:22 PM

Whoa! That was fast!

MRoCkEd
06-12-2008, 01:27 PM

Exciting

If this is true about helping out the Ron Paul Republicans... this is very good news! The Lawson campaign needs a push of money to help them... they have everything going right, but they've needed donations.
Yep

Nice to know that the $5 million can finally be used effectively.
Yep

It looks like we're shooting for 100,000 members by 9/2/08 (the date of the Ron Paul "convention" in St. Paul)!

We only have 33 right now - how fast do you think that will change?:D
Wow - is that the official site?

newyearsrevolution08
06-12-2008, 01:30 PM
happy to see the revolution take on its new role indeed.

Local efforts are the way to go indeed. Let's get a ton of liberty candidates elected.

Where do I sign up Ron?

ronpaulhawaii
06-12-2008, 01:35 PM
Glad to see everyone is as excited about this as I am :D

The delegate process goes on, those that get into the RNC, can be the GOP leaders of tomorrow. The rest of us r3VOLutionaries will be close by, and cheering you on :D

Kludge
06-12-2008, 01:36 PM
The stock market suddenly started plummeting. Now, I don't want to say investors are disappointed that Dr. Paul is ending his campaign or anything, but....

SnappleLlama
06-12-2008, 01:37 PM
The stock market suddenly started plummeting. Now, I don't want to say investors are disappointed that Dr. Paul is ending his campaign or anything, but....

Trust me, that's no coincidence!

constituent
06-12-2008, 01:38 PM
This is spectacular news.

If you've ever listened to a word Ron Paul has said, you'd understand that the type of fundamental, widespread change we need does not come from one Leader figurehead at the top. The change needs to come from the citizens, at the very basic levels of society, from the bottom up.

This is the beginning of that movement.

It's time for all of the Weekend Ron Paul Warriors to either slink away for good or dig in for the long haul.

yup.

Dave
06-12-2008, 01:39 PM
Thanks for moving us back, Josh! Let's party out here in the lobby rather than in one of the conference rooms.

I'm REALLY excited about our new direction! It's time to focus our movement less on the presidential nomination and start working FOR THE FUTURE!

countrykidz4freedom
06-12-2008, 01:40 PM
This is so exciting-Thank You Ron Paul for furthering the Revolution. This is wonderful !!! What an amazing smart man!!!

TurtleBurger
06-12-2008, 01:41 PM
I'm a delegate to my state convention on Saturday, does this mean I shouldn't go?

SteveMartin
06-12-2008, 01:44 PM

If all of that left over money goes to a PAC controlled by Kent Snyder, there will be precious little to be excited about.

UtahApocalypse
06-12-2008, 01:44 PM
I feel a fire again that I had lost for a couple months. This is a resurrection to the revolution. This brings back the days of the forums flooding during the straw polls, Caucasus and primaries. There is a excitement here like that of the money bombs, and debates. This is the NEW beginning.

OptionsTrader
06-12-2008, 01:46 PM
At the ice cream social, I think I'll have RP sign my book and date it too....

Fox McCloud
06-12-2008, 01:46 PM
I hope he isn't suspending his bid for President....if he is, then I'll definitely be voting for Baldwin at the end of this year during the election.

Hopefully (again if this is true), he'll endorse someone tonight to give us a more clear direction in the campaign realm.

libertarian4321
06-12-2008, 01:49 PM
Do the first 500 members get commemorative Tshirts or something? :)

MRoCkEd
06-12-2008, 01:50 PM
I hope so :o

MsDoodahs
06-12-2008, 01:50 PM
I'm a delegate to my state convention on Saturday, does this mean I shouldn't go?

No, by all means, GO!

Consider it an important networking opportunity and learning experience for the future and for the Liberty candidates that will run in the future.

JMO, YMMV.

gavin12
06-12-2008, 01:51 PM
I hope Ron Paul wouldn't suspended his bid for President:confused: Not on My birthday, I hope it's something different from Ron Paul!!:D

Tenbatsu
06-12-2008, 01:52 PM
Finally we move forward.

TurtleBurger
06-12-2008, 01:55 PM
No, by all means, GO!

Consider it an important networking opportunity and learning experience for the future and for the Liberty candidates that will run in the future.

JMO, YMMV.

It's a 6-hour drive, it'll be hard to justify to the wife without something to fight for. I'll try to find out what the campaign recommends though.

WarningSLO
06-12-2008, 01:57 PM
This is fantastic. He gave everyone is the primaries a chance to vote for him, and now he is moving forward. Awesome!

UtahApocalypse
06-12-2008, 02:00 PM
I hope Ron Paul wouldn't suspended his bid for President:confused: Not on My birthday, I hope it's something different from Ron Paul!!:D

Gavin, look at this way.... on your birthday the Campaign For Liberty is born, this is something that could outright change the future of our falling nation. Happy B-Day!!

RevolutionSD
06-12-2008, 02:01 PM

Excellent points. I'm excited to hear what he has to say.

I'm planning to become more focused locally. I'm planning to start a free market newspaper that counters the pro-government local paper in my area. I'm also hoping to get people excited about civil disobedience, and "Free Cities", kind of like the Free State Project.

I'm actually thrilled that the campaign is over, even though he didn't win. I think we can do even more apolitically than politically.

Viva la Revolution!

countrykidz4freedom
06-12-2008, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by TurtleBurger View Post

As MsDoodahs said above, do go on to the convention, it will help prepare for the future, and also you can still help to spread the message of the Revolution at the convention, just by showing up and letting your votes be counted. I went for the first time to my state convention, last month, it was exciting, and I plan to go again.

You will meet a lot of people, and you may find that some of the republicans supporting McCain actually agree with us on some of the key issues-they simply have been mislead into believing they are supporting the candidate who represents republicans. .

I will be interested to hear whether or not the applause for McCain is as weak as it was at our convention. I could tell by the way they reacted, they only support him because they feel he is their only choice. Please give us updates on how it goes-it will be interesting. God bless you for doing your part for freedom!!!

Dave
06-12-2008, 02:07 PM

Too late. It's already at 526!

Carole
06-12-2008, 02:08 PM
Ratings!!

WRellim
06-12-2008, 02:09 PM
If all of that left over money goes to a PAC controlled by Kent Snyder, there will be precious little to be excited about.

Well, since the "RonPaul'sCampaignForLiberty" (RP:CFL) blog so far features entries by Jeff Frazee (still listed as the "National Youth Coordinator" for the campaign on ronpaul2008.com's contact page), and the fact the the CFL does NOT have an "About" or "Contact" page listing who is running the day-to-day operations... I think we can safely assume that this is just the "formal" or "legal" transition of the "current team" over from the RPPCC to the new RP:CFL organization, of course along with whatever was left from the $4+ million in the campaign's coffers.

In other words... expect more of the same "high quality" management from these experienced staffers. woof!

Oh, and the "100,000 members by September 2nd" seems a rather pitifully LOW number... perhaps they realize the appeal of a PAC/Org with these same people is limited.

dcatman
06-12-2008, 02:13 PM
I've been hoping for something more concrete from the campaign than what we've been told up to this point.

I'm glad to see something more concrete occurring.

Long Live Liberty

LLL

MRoCkEd
06-12-2008, 02:13 PM
Digg it here:

http://digg.com/2008_us_elections/Ron_Paul_s_Campaign_For_Liberty_The_Revolution_Con tinues

raystone
06-12-2008, 02:30 PM
#4 on the Mission page.

Encouraging the formation of discussion groups and book clubs at the local level to help people learn more about the ideas we champion.

http://www.campaignforliberty.com/mission/

Dave
06-12-2008, 02:36 PM
Looks like we're going to get to hear it live tonight! This is from the campaign site:

Ron Paul Announcement Tonight in Texas (http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/RonPaul2008/~3/310599282/ron-paul-announ.html) (6/12/08)

We invite you to watch the live video broadcast of Dr. Paul's rally tonight, June 12th, @ 9PM CDT in Houston, TX. Dr. Paul will be making a major announcement, and we would like you to be a part of it.

To view:
http://www.justin.tv/ronpaul2008 (http://www.justin.tv/ronpaul2008)

In the past we have had technical troubles with our live video broadcasts, but we will do everything we can to make sure you have the opportunity to view it live. The rally will also be professionally recorded and uploaded to the Internet for all to see in the next day or two.

Thank you for your continued support.

For liberty,
The Ron Paul 2008 Team

american.swan
06-12-2008, 02:44 PM

Perfect POST!!

Nominated Post of the Week June 12th 2008

crazyfingers
06-12-2008, 02:51 PM
Counter is nearing 1000! Come on everyone, spread the word to the meetups, blogs, myspace/facebook, etc. Let's hit that 100K goal quick.

http://www.campaignforliberty.com/

LibertyCzar
06-12-2008, 03:07 PM
Rep. Ron Paul's presidential campaign, which was a pugnacious, ideological crusade against big government and interventionist leanings in the Republican party, will officially end Thursday at a rally outside the Texas GOP's convention, ABC News has learned.

Paul told supporters back in March, in a video posted on his website, that he was "winding down" his campaign and planning a new phase to what he and fans call their "revolution."

The new phase of the revolution officially begins with a speech tonight in Houston and a web video to be posted on his website, officially ending Paul's presidential campaign and freeing up the more than $4.7 million in campaign cash for investment in a new advocacy group, The Campaign for Liberty.

The new entity will be used to push a slate of libertarian-minded Republican candidates for public office in local districts nationwide, according to a description provided to ABC News by the Paul campaign. Paul also recently published a new book on his political philosophy, The Revolution: A Manifesto.

Here's more:

This makes sense. The new group can do a lot. And the $4.7 million is a great start on funds. They just mention this on CNN a few minutes ago.

speciallyblend
06-12-2008, 04:00 PM
I'm not going to give up on the movement,but im pretty much over the republican party, hmmm what to do? thinking of getting rid of my scarlet letter/R

tonesforjonesbones
06-12-2008, 04:01 PM
I got rid of mine and joined the Libertarian Party. TONES

SnappleLlama
06-12-2008, 04:02 PM
I'm not going to give up on the movement,but im pretty much over the republican party, hmmm what to do? thinking of getting rid of my scarlet letter/R

I went independent. :)

Kludge
06-12-2008, 04:03 PM
I got rid of mine and joined the Libertarian Party. TONES

+1. LP sends you nifty gifts for joining too :D

SnappleLlama
06-12-2008, 04:04 PM
+1. LP sends you nifty gifts for joining too :D

OOH! Gifts? What do you get??

tonesforjonesbones
06-12-2008, 04:06 PM
??? darn..they didn't send me squat? lol...I didn't join at that website though...I started my own affiliate here in my county..we never had one. Ron Paul has been good for the LP. there are 4 or 5 new affiliates in florida counties where there were none a year ago. TONES

Kludge
06-12-2008, 04:06 PM

Ha... Nothing terribly special. A membership card with your details (date of entry, renewal date, ID etc), some nifty stickers and a nice list of #s/locations/emails for the various LP organizations around the country.

SnappleLlama
06-12-2008, 04:07 PM
Ha... Nothing terribly special. A membership card with your details (date of entry, renewal date, ID etc), some nifty stickers and a nice list of #s/locations/emails for the various LP organizations around the country.

Mmmnnn....membership caaaards......

*rushes off to join the LP...*

WRellim
06-12-2008, 04:08 PM

Some "papers" I think... and maybe stuff to put in them. :D

I mean, roll THAT up in your GOP and smoke it!

tonesforjonesbones
06-12-2008, 04:09 PM
LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL tones

TurtleBurger
06-12-2008, 04:18 PM
No, by all means, GO!

JMO, YMMV.

OK I've gotten over my whining. I'll go since you insist! :D

Frealism
06-12-2008, 04:24 PM
I feel betrayed. I put every effort into helping him.

Debbie Hopper
06-12-2008, 04:24 PM
If you've been elected as a delegate or alternate to your state convention or the national convention, PLEASE GO!!

One of the most damaging lies by the party hacks has been that we're not "real" republicans, and once Dr. Paul is out of the race, we'll all go away.

It's time to disabuse them of such a foolish notion. We need to send a loud and clear message to the Rinos -- this revolution isn't about Ron Paul. WE ARE THE REVOLUTION and we're in this for the long-haul.

Onward to St. Paul....by the THOUSANDS!!!

Menthol Patch
06-12-2008, 04:26 PM
Barr is not a neocon.... Baldwin is closer to Dr. Paul's platform though if you dislike the LP nominee.

Barr is indeed a neocon. He is a monster.

tonesforjonesbones
06-12-2008, 04:27 PM
Please GO! You can still make a difference by showing up! TONES

tonesforjonesbones
06-12-2008, 04:28 PM
Bob Barr is NOT a neo con. He is a libertarian..and he was given the OK by Ron Paul. Stop with the smears. TONES (why are some people SO dang negative???)

MRoCkEd
If you've been elected as a delegate or alternate to your state convention or the national convention, PLEASE GO!!

One of the most damaging lies by the party hacks has been that we're not "real" republicans, and once Dr. Paul is out of the race, we'll all go away.

It's time to disabuse them of such a foolish notion. We need to send a loud and clear message to the Rinos -- this revolution isn't about Ron Paul. WE ARE THE REVOLUTION and we're in this for the long-haul.

Onward to St. Paul....by the THOUSANDS!!!
true dat

JMann
Any news on that New Hampshire recount?

RP4Pres2008
Thank you Ron Paul! The last year has changed my life forever. I will never be asleep again. And I have Ron Paul to thank for that!

Forward march everyone!

FOR FREEDOM!

SteveMartin
WE NEED A PATRIOT SUMMIT!!!

And we can do it, and we can WIN the presidency for a patriot!:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=142513

grizzums
06-12-2008, 04:34 PM

I am comfortable with the decision and ready to move on and stay as active as I can. For old times sake..."Thank you Dr. Paul...You have cured my apathy".

Menthol Patch
06-12-2008, 04:34 PM
Bob Barr is NOT a neo con. He is a libertarian..and he was given the OK by Ron Paul. Stop with the smears. TONES (why are some people SO dang negative???)

He is a neocon and I will not stop telling the truth.

Bob Barr....

1) Voted for the Patriot Act.
2) Was a big time supporter of the War on Drugs.
3) Supported the War in Iraq.

Kludge
06-12-2008, 04:35 PM
Vote your conviction. Bashing Barr or Baldwin only hurts our movement.

Menthol Patch
06-12-2008, 04:37 PM
I'm not bashing Barr but only stating the truth.

What will hurt our movement is if Ron Paul supporters violate their principles and start supporting a neocon.

Kludge
06-12-2008, 04:41 PM
I'm not bashing Barr but only stating the truth.

Hmmm... Your list of that which he voted for seemed a little one-sided.

"In the 107th Congress when Ron Paul stood up for our sovereignty against the United Nations (Roll Call votes 245 and 246), it was Bob Barr who supported him ... just as Barr supported Paul in cutting corporate welfare by limiting funding for the Export-Import Bank."
"Barr is a co-sponsor of H. Res. 197, 'Stop U.N. Gun Ban.'"
"Barr supports H.R. 2615 'Stop National Medical ID and the Patient Privacy Protection Act.'"
"Barr is a leading defender of civil liberties. He introduced legislation that forces the National Security Agency's Project ECHELON to provide a full accounting to the Congress of their covert monitoring of millions of phone calls, faxes, and emails."
"He led the fight against National ID Card proposals and introduced legislation in 1998 to check the federal government's abuse of wire-tapping laws — including the use of roving wiretaps — and also opposed governmental interception of cellular phone calls."
"He introduced legislation to mandate that the federal government issue 'Privacy Impact Statements' every time it issues a new rule or regulation."
"He was a chief sponsor of a law to limit abuses of the civil asset forfeiture statutes."
"He fought against OSHA regulations and to limit small business vulnerability to frivolous labor litigation."
"He is a board member of the National Rifle Association, and a staunch defender of the right of Americans to own and use firearms. He has introduced and sponsored legislation to block litigation against gun manufacturers for the acts of their customers and to limit any background checks and mandate they be conducted 'instantly.'"
"Barr has succinctly advocated the principle that while criminals must be punished to the full extent of the law, their civil liberties must be protected with even more vigor."
"He is a staunch defender of American sovereignty and opposes the executive branch's overzealous use of our military abroad he even filed suit against President Clinton's war in Kosovo without congressional approval."
"He is a fierce critic of the United Nations — and to a lesser degree NATO — and has consistently supported efforts to withdraw U.S. membership from the United Nations."
"He co-sponsored a committee amendment to withdraw the U.S. from the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank."
"Since his first day in Congress back in 1995, Barr has tirelessly fought to eliminate the Internal Revenue Code, supported the "flat tax" proposal, and consistently supported passage of a constitutional amendment requiring a two-thirds supermajority of Congress to raise taxes."
"He was an early supporter of lowering the capital gains tax and recently he introduced legislation to provide tax credits for educators: public, private, and homeschool!"
"More than any other member of the Georgia delegation, Congressman Barr has parted with the Republican majority to vote against bloated "pork barrel" spending."
"He has continually fought the unconstitutional [McCain/Feingold] 'campaign finance reforms.' Defending our fundamental rights, he has filed a lawsuit to prevent implementation of the recently passed legislation."

JoshLowry
06-12-2008, 04:43 PM
Look, they quoted you at wonkette, kludge: http://wonkette.com/400433/ron-paul-will-end-his-campaign-again-and-start-new-campaign#comments

winston_blade
06-12-2008, 04:44 PM

Bob Barr....

Most Americans easily supported all of those three things, at least for a while, myself included. People can change man. If we don't allow new members, we will be irrelevant.

CasualApathy
06-12-2008, 04:45 PM
Most Americans easily supported all of those three things, at least for a while, myself included. People can change man. If we don't allow new members, we will be irrelevant.

QFT

Kludge
06-12-2008, 04:45 PM
Look, they quoted you at wonkette, kludge: http://wonkette.com/400433/ron-paul-will-end-his-campaign-again-and-start-new-campaign#comments

lmao...

priest_of_syrinx
06-12-2008, 04:47 PM

Bob Barr....

Hey, if you're looking for another Ron Paul, don't hold your breath. Like winston said, we have to allow people to change their minds. We can't keep this philosophy of "You're a flip-flopping, backstabbing neocon if you've ever disagreed with us!" It makes us just as bad as the partisan assholes.

Kludge
06-12-2008, 04:52 PM

That was actually one of my goals in life.... Glad to check it off the list.

ErikBlack
06-12-2008, 04:52 PM
I hope Ron Paul is is conning the media and everyone else into paying attention to him thinking that, much to their delight, he is finally admitting defeat. But then instead of dropping out of the race he announces a 3rd party run and throws a big fat wrench right into the middle of the whole election!

Now THAT would shake things up a bit and get things moving forward again. I might even not feel so out-dated for still having my battered Ron Paul sign stuck in the front yard. Founding some bullshit political action group isn't going to make a lick of difference. Those things never do. A few politically-minded idealists will sign up and waste a whole lot of their time and money while most of the public will remain blissfully ignorant of, and completely unaffected by, its existence.

There has never been, nor is there likely to ever be, an effective grassroots political movement. Most people are not creative, motivated or disciplined enough to affect political change on their own. Every major political change in history has been spearheaded by one, or a small group, of charismatic, powerful leaders who drug everyone else, kicking and screaming, through the dirt with them to what they believed was the promised land. People need to be LED and they need to be inspired by charismatic leaders who will motivate them to action through the use of emotionally-charged rhetoric and by painting a bright picture of the future, NOT by LOGIC.

Anyone who has ever sold anything knows that logic does not sell. People buy on emotion. That is as true of political candidates and political movements as it is of any product or service under the sun. The reason Ron Paul failed to ignite a revolution is that he is such a logical man. He is intelligent, makes great arguments and probably has the right plan for this country. But he did not appeal to the EMOTIONS of the people. Obama, on the other hand, has used his trademark concepts of "hope" and "change", both emotionally-charged words with no real meaning, unless attached to something specific, to waltz right into the Democratic nomination, and most likely the White House next year.

The great failure of libertarianism is that it appeals primarily to people with rational, intellectual personalities, who consider it unethical or frivolous to try and cater their message to the hordes of emotional, unwashed masses. They naively expect that all the lazy couch potatoes of this country will suddenly start taking responsibility for their own lives and their country if only the argument can be posed in a way that "makes sense to them", without realizing that these people do not deal in sense. They want what "feels good". Make them feel good and they will follow you anywhere. Try to explain things to them logically and you might as well be pissing into the wind.

Foundation for Liberty (or whatever it's called) my ass! Let's see some initiative Ron Paul! Forget your ideals. Forget "your party", who want nothing to do with you. If you have to go out, go out with a bang! Go out fighting! Don't just fade away into the annals of Congress to do your mediocre, ineffective work and soon be forgotten, relegated to history as a "fluke", like Howard Dean and Ross Perot and Barry Goldwater. Why not take on the Republican and Democratic parties head-on. Make one last stand! Like General Custer or William Wallace. They were remembered for centuries. Even though they lost their own battles the causes for which they fought were eventually won. That is because the people who followed them were INSPIRED by their dedication and their sacrifice and their unshakable resolve. If you truly care about this country then don't give up now! Don't ever give up. I don't care if you win. I just care if you FIGHT!

This so-called "revolution" has steadily diminished ever since it became apparent that Ron Paul wasn't going to get the Republican nomination. All that is left is a few idealogical purists. Everyone else has abandoned ship. The simple reason is because the people who wanted Ron Paul for president realize now he won't be, so what's the point? Ron Paul was the man wit the plan. He was going to fix everything so we didn't have to! But now he's not. What is a person to do?

What do you do when you have an unpleasant job that needs to be done? Like fixing your clogged up toilet? Do you get out the rubber gloves and the plunger and start plugging away yourself? No way, not unless you have to! Most people call a plumber. Hire someone else to do the job, an expert. Well Ron Paul was our expert. He was the man with the answers that we wanted to hire to do the dirty work of fixing this country for us. And if he can't do it, then we'll just hire someone else who claims they will do the job, like Obama or McCain. It doesn't matter that they probably won't. At least they will try and that means we don't have to. Because we know deep down, that if we tried ourselves, and failed, we would have to take personal responsibility for the failure, and that's scary. If we put it off on someone else, and they fail, we just blame them and look for someone new.

Menthol Patch
06-12-2008, 04:55 PM
Bob Barr won't even apologize on his website for his previous actions.

He should openly apologize for his support of the war, the support of the patriot act, and the support of the drug war.

However, he does not.

satchelmcqueen
06-12-2008, 04:57 PM
im numb right now. is paul really stopping? i feel sick.

Menthol Patch
06-12-2008, 04:58 PM
Everything in that list is meaningless if he voted for the Patriot Act and supported the Drug war and supported the war in Iraq.

MRoCkEd
06-12-2008, 04:59 PM
Let's get this back on topic:
Almost 3,000 pledges

wgadget
06-12-2008, 05:08 PM
I hope Ron Paul is is conning the media and everyone else into paying attention to him thinking that, much to their delight, he is finally admitting defeat. But then instead of dropping out of the race he announces a 3rd party run and throws a big fat wrench right into the middle of the whole election!

Now THAT would shake things up a bit and get things moving forward again. I might even not feel so out-dated for still having my battered Ron Paul sign stuck in the front yard. Founding some bullshit political action group isn't going to make a lick of difference. Those things never do. A few politically-minded idealists will sign up and waste a whole lot of their time and money while most of the public will remain blissfully ignorant of, and completely unaffected by, its existence.

There has never been, nor is there likely to ever be, an effective grassroots political movement. Most people are not creative, motivated or disciplined enough to affect political change on their own. Every major political change in history has been spearheaded by one, or a small group, of charismatic, powerful leaders who drug everyone else, kicking and screaming, through the dirt with them to what they believed was the promised land. People need to be LED and they need to be inspired by charismatic leaders who will motivate them to action through the use of emotionally-charged rhetoric and by painting a bright picture of the future, NOT by LOGIC.

Anyone who has ever sold anything knows that logic does not sell. People buy on emotion. That is as true of political candidates and political movements as it is of any product or service under the sun. The reason Ron Paul failed to ignite a revolution is that he is such a logical man. He is intelligent, makes great arguments and probably has the right plan for this country. But he did not appeal to the EMOTIONS of the people. Obama, on the other hand, has used his trademark concepts of "hope" and "change", both emotionally-charged words with no real meaning, unless attached to something specific, to waltz right into the Democratic nomination, and most likely the White House next year.

The great failure of libertarianism is that it appeals primarily to people with rational, intellectual personalities, who consider it unethical or frivolous to try and cater their message to the hordes of emotional, unwashed masses. They naively expect that all the lazy couch potatoes of this country will suddenly start taking responsibility for their own lives and their country if only the argument can be posed in a way that "makes sense to them", without realizing that these people do not deal in sense. They want what "feels good". Make them feel good and they will follow you anywhere. Try to explain things to them logically and you might as well be pissing into the wind.

Foundation for Liberty (or whatever it's called) my ass! Let's see some initiative Ron Paul! Forget your ideals. Forget "your party", who want nothing to do with you. If you have to go out, go out with a bang! Go out fighting! Don't just fade away into the annals of Congress to do your mediocre, ineffective work and soon be forgotten, relegated to history as a "fluke", like Howard Dean and Ross Perot and Barry Goldwater. Why not take on the Republican and Democratic parties head-on. Make one last stand! Like General Custer or William Wallace. They were remembered for centuries. Even though they lost their own battles the causes for which they fought were eventually won. That is because the people who followed them were INSPIRED by their dedication and their sacrifice and their unshakable resolve. If you truly care about this country then don't give up now! Don't ever give up. I don't care if you win. I just care if you FIGHT!

This so-called "revolution" has steadily diminished ever since it became apparent that Ron Paul wasn't going to get the Republican nomination. All that is left is a few idealogical purists. Everyone else has abandoned ship. The simple reason is because the people who wanted Ron Paul for president realize now he won't be, so what's the point? Ron Paul was the man wit the plan. He was going to fix everything so we didn't have to! But now he's not. What is a person to do?

What do you do when you have an unpleasant job that needs to be done? Like fixing your clogged up toilet? Do you get out the rubber gloves and the plunger and start plugging away yourself? No way, not unless you have to! Most people call a plumber. Hire someone else to do the job, an expert. Well Ron Paul was our expert. He was the man with the answers that we wanted to hire to do the dirty work of fixing this country for us. And if he can't do it, then we'll just hire someone else who claims they will do the job, like Obama or McCain. It doesn't matter that they probably won't. At least they will try and that means we don't have to. Because we know deep down, that if we tried ourselves, and failed, we would have to take personal responsibility for the failure, and that's scary. If we put it off on someone else, and they fail, we just blame them and look for someone new.

Great post, and I agree 100%

The truth that we keep avoiding is that it's MORE THAN THE MESSAGE---It IS RON PAUL. It is the MAN AND HIS VOTING RECORD. The MAN AND HIS INTEGRITY. The man is a good old-fashioned HERO.

Remember the money bombs? All he had to do was say the word, and we opened up our wallets. Rallies? If he was there, we drove drive hundreds of miles to meet him.

THEREFORE, be it resolved that yes, THIS LEADER OF A MAN should make a HUGE announcement that he will GO INDEPENDENT, and the flock will be back in the wink of an eye.

ARealConservative
06-12-2008, 05:11 PM
Everything in that list is meaningless if he voted for the Patriot Act and supported the Drug war and supported the war in Iraq.

yet more then half of us plan to vote for him.

HOLLYWOOD
06-12-2008, 05:19 PM
The true power of Ron Paul and his advisers would be to UNITE all the secondary groups, organizations, party affiliations. Then, you have a massive movement to put Washington DC and the Pandering Hacks out of business!

I really hope Ron Paul staffs up with the best Professionals in starting this movement and UNITES all of us against this; Oppressive, Lying, Corrupt, Coniving, Spineless, Self Center primadonas at all levels of government.

tonesforjonesbones
06-12-2008, 05:23 PM
Bob Barr has admitted his errors..although at the time I suppose he thought he was doing the right thing. People can and DO change you know...if not..there would be no people joining any parties at all..sheesh . TONES (negativity never got anyone anywhere)

rprprs
06-12-2008, 05:44 PM
Well, I suppose it had to happen. And I do hope the announcement provides reason for renewed optimism. But I wouldn't be honest if I didn't also admit to feeling just a little sad.
A meaningless and self-indulgent post, I know.. but I just had to say it.

Jeremy
06-12-2008, 07:09 PM
bump

amy31416
06-12-2008, 07:13 PM
That was actually one of my goals in life.... Glad to check it off the list.

Congratulations on your achievement. You are on the verge of greatness (or a cliff.)