PDA

View Full Version : Debate speech on why conservatives and libertarians should support Bob Barr over MaC

aknappjr
06-11-2008, 07:18 PM
Votes for Bob Barr won by a 2:1 ratio over McCain

Reagan quote: I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism...The basis of conservatism is a desire for less government interference or less centralized authority or more individual freedom and this is a pretty general description also of what libertarianism is.

My opponent will make arguments that McCain is a fiscal conservative, that he's “good enough”, that we “need conservative Supreme Court justices”, and will try to get you to “imagine the consequences if we help elect Obama by not voting for McCain.” I will argue that McCain is NO fiscal conservative, that he is NOT good enough, that those who are willing to trade their economic and social freedom and peace and a possibly conservative, possibly not supreme court justice (remember Souter) for a spending statist neoconservative pseudoconservative liberty-sacrificing president do so at their own – and my – peril. Well, in voting, none of you can help McCain. At least not if you're registered to vote in New York. Your vote doesn't matter here.

Bob Barr is the true conservative in this presidential race. John McCain is not. Barr spent much of his youth abroad, graduating from high school in Tehran, Iran. Under a McCain administration, Barr's high school might even be bombed! A former Republican, Barr is the Libertarian Party nominee for President, and is set to run the strongest, most successful campaign the LP has ever seen, and the most conservative candidate since at least Ronald Reagan circa 1980. Barr attained national prominence as one of the leaders of impeachment of President Bill Clinton, and represented Georgia's 7th CD as a Republican from 1995 to 2003. During his tenure, he was regarded as one of the most conservative members of Congress. He was described as the “idol of the gun-toting, abortion-fighting, IRS hating hard right wing of American politics.” John McCain has never been described as IRS hating, employed his whole life by the federal government and living off your wages.

As David Limbaugh said, “it's disappointing to watch good conservatives demean themselves by trying to present McCain as something he's not.” You can't hide his record.

You can't hide McCain's record on Taxes, voting and strongly criticizing the one conservative thing the federal government has done recently, the Bush tax cuts.

You can't hide McCain's record of being anti second amendment, receiving F minus votes from GOA and C+ from the NRA. As my parents used to say, a C+ is still a C.

You can't hide McCain's record on the free-market. Compared to Barr, McCain doesn't even understand what the word Free means in Free Market. As the Club for Growth said, “Senator McCain's outspoken pursuit of anti-growth and anti-free-market policies in the realms of taxes, regulation, and campaign finance reveals a philosophical ambivalence, if not hostility, about limited government and personal freedom.”

You can't hide McCain's record on Amnesty.

John McCain is a darling of the mainstream media. This in and of itself should be a huge red flag for Conservatives and Libertarians.

You can't hide McCain's record on policing the world, stating we should to keep troops in Iraq 100 years...as we will be in Germany, Japan, Korea, Saudi Arabia, and many others. Policing the world is decidedly not a conservative position, and neither is it constitutional.

You can't hide John McCain's record on the first amendment. His signature piece of legislation in Congress was McCain-Feingold, limiting individual's freedoms in speaking out and according much more relative influence of organizations such as the New York Times. Decidedly Not Conservative.

The best argument I've heard why conservatives should vote for McCain is the possibility he may appoint conservative supreme court justices. Can we really trust a man to appoint conservative Supreme Court Justices when his signature piece of legislation was the unconstitutional McCain-Feingold? You can't hide McCain's record on judges, despite his recent rhetoric. John McCain is one of the gang of 14 who opposed the attempt to end filibusters of conservative judicial nominations.

I wish I didn't have to say this but I do. John McCain is the most statist, pro-war, pro-big-government Republican candidate for President I've seen in my lifetime. And he calls himself a Republican. He wasn't so sure about that in 2001, but I digress.

Clearly the Barr for being more conservative, more freedom oriented than McCain is set very low. And Barr surpasses this hurdle by leaps and bounds.

Bob Barr is a conservative in most senses of the word. Assuming McCain gets the nomination, as is likely (but remember Ron Paul is still running), Barr will be the only fiscal conservative running. Barr has become enlightened to the failure of the Federal Government's war on drugs, failure and unconstitutionality of the Patriot Act, and the Failures of the War in Iraq. It took a particularly unconservative, unlibertarian Republican president for him to realize the entwined abuses of power he liked and the abuses of power he didn't. He's a strong believer in the Constitution, the most Libertarian and Conservative guide this government has ever had.

I hope and believe Bob Barr will carry the torch of freedom, the soul of conservatism, farther than any candidate since 1980.

mrchubbs
06-11-2008, 07:28 PM
Bravo, man. Bravo.