PDA

View Full Version : RP Flags:

Patriot123
06-11-2008, 01:47 PM
This just sort of hit me out of nowhere, but I've been seeing a lot of little American flags in peoples gardens and whatnot, and it just sort of hit me. What if every single Ron Paul supporter had a "r[evol]ution" flag in the front of their house? Just small little thing. Just imagine. We have roughly seven percent of the country behind us. If seven percent of the country had small little r[evol]ution flags outside of their house, that's, what? Twenty one million people divided by 2.59 which is the average of every household in the US, is... Roughly eight million US houses with "R[evol]ution" flags outside their house. Just imagine not only the publicity we could potentially get, but the effect it would have in showing our numbers. The "R[evol]ution" slogan has really become something integrated with the RP movement, so everyone would know what it is. I dunno', just hit me and I wanted to post it up.

tomveil
06-11-2008, 01:50 PM
This just sort of hit me out of nowhere, but I've been seeing a lot of little American flags in peoples gardens and whatnot, and it just sort of hit me. What if every single Ron Paul supporter had a "r[evol]ution" flag in the front of their house? Just small little thing. Just imagine. We have roughly seven percent of the country behind us. If seven percent of the country had small little r[evol]ution flags outside of their house, that's, what? Twenty one million people divided by 2.59 which is the average of every household in the US, is... Roughly eight million US houses with "R[evol]ution" flags outside their house. Just imagine not only the publicity we could potentially get, but the effect it would have in showing our numbers. The "R[evol]ution" slogan has really become something integrated with the RP movement, so everyone would know what it is. I dunno', just hit me and I wanted to post it up.

We could get the little ones for our cars too!

tonesforjonesbones
06-11-2008, 01:51 PM
I want a big flag with Ron paul's photo on it. TONES

Patriot123
06-11-2008, 02:00 PM
We could get the little ones for our cars too!

Really, the idea is just to have some sort of symbol branded on people so others know how many of us there are. Just something. If someone could start a project like this and just mail em' out via donations, it could really start something.

SnappleLlama
06-11-2008, 02:02 PM
I think that's an awesome idea. I can look into this...

Patriot123
06-11-2008, 02:04 PM
If someone actually decides to get this going and do the work with mailing out the flags and whatnot, I can certainly code a website for it... All that's really needed is a toothpick and some sort of waterproof vinyl with a white background and simply the slogan "R[EVOL]UTION" printed on it. Very cheap, very inexpensive, very easy to do.

SnappleLlama
Actually, does anyone have a preference re: size, design, logos, etc?

SnappleLlama
If someone actually decides to get this going and do the work with mailing out the flags and whatnot, I can certainly code a website for it... All that's really needed is a simple toothpick flag with some sort of waterproof vinyl with a white background and simply the slogan "R[EVOL]UTION" printed on it. Very cheap, very inexpensive, very easy to do.

LOL...you read my mind! Do you have Photoshop or Adobe Illustrator, or anything that can creat this? I can look into prices...

Patriot123
06-11-2008, 02:06 PM
Of course. I can design the entire thing. I just can't mail them out. Don't have any budget, and furthermore I'm a bit too young :p But I can certainly do the entire design and website.

tomveil
06-11-2008, 02:06 PM
Really, the idea is just to have some sort of symbol branded on people so others know how many of us there are. Just something. If someone could start a project like this and just mail em' out via donations, it could really start something.

I agree. No reason we can't have one on our cars and at home too. People tend to notice a lot of things when they're sitting in traffic :)

SnappleLlama
06-11-2008, 02:08 PM
Okay, found this site....I can shell out some $$$ for the initial purchase:

http://www.custommadeflags.com/CustomStickFlags.html

Granted, I haven't called them yet to find out how they want the design submitted, but I'll have to do that after work...

acptulsa
06-11-2008, 02:09 PM
We want to be patriotic, not just unified, and we want to be just subtle enough that the oblivious won't notice and the rest will ask us. A Ron Paul sign just doesn't get that kind of conversation going like subtlety does.

Any of you old enough to remember the bicentennial remember the old Revolutionary flag that became the unofficial symbol of that celebration? I always did like it. It was basically Old Glory, but the top and bottom of the thirteen stripes were white and the thirteen stars were arranged in a semi-circle arching over the number "76". Looked good!

Anyway, to the unobservant and those not in the know it's just a flag on a pole.

acptulsa
06-11-2008, 02:12 PM
Found it. The Bennington Flag:

http://www.usaflags-flagpoles.com/images/flag_bennington.jpg

SLSteven
06-11-2008, 02:12 PM
We want to be patriotic, not just unified, and we want to be just subtle enough that the oblivious won't notice and the rest will ask us. A Ron Paul sign just doesn't get that kind of conversation going like subtlety does.

Agreed

SnappleLlama
06-11-2008, 02:13 PM
Found it. The Bennington Flag:

http://www.usaflags-flagpoles.com/images/flag_bennington.jpg

That's nice!!

So, I guess I'll leave it up to the designers...anyone have a good idea for what this flag should look like?

Patriot123
06-11-2008, 02:16 PM
Again, just a basic white background with the basic "R[EVOL]UTION" text on it. Simple and sweet, and gets the point across. And you don't necessarily have to buy from a supplier. You can just as easily create your own to mail out. Simple vinyl and toothpicks.

SnappleLlama
06-11-2008, 02:22 PM
Again, just a basic white background with the basic "R[EVOL]UTION" text on it. Simple and sweet, and gets the point across. And you don't necessarily have to buy from a supplier. You can just as easily create your own to mail out. Simple vinyl and toothpicks.

Let me think on this a bit...LOL...have a previous engagement after work today. I'll be back on here in a few hours to see how this turns out. I'm all for creating or buying flags...

acptulsa
06-11-2008, 02:25 PM
The Bennington Flag may be too subtle to slap people with the message, but it can't be argued by neighbors that it's a campaign sign and long overdue to come down, it is unarguably patriotic and there are still a couple of companies making them.

A Ron Paul Rebel
06-11-2008, 02:38 PM
...but it can't be argued by neighbors that it's a campaign sign and long overdue to come down, it is unarguably patriotic and there are still a couple of companies making them.

+1

You might want to look into a purchase fulfillment company to handle
all of the orders otherwise the workload will get overwhelming... And
if you do do all the work, you better not dare think of getting paid for
your time and effort. These people will eat you alive!!! :D

damon04
06-11-2008, 02:40 PM
great idea

Eric21ND
06-11-2008, 03:50 PM
where's our design team?

malkusm
06-11-2008, 04:47 PM
Send me about 50 of them...

steve005
06-11-2008, 04:55 PM
bump, (or put out a ron paul sign)

SnappleLlama
06-11-2008, 05:33 PM
Okay, I can help with creating and/or ordering these flags, depending on what's been decided....

HOLLYWOOD
06-11-2008, 05:46 PM
Like these?

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a361/mzcmdr/SoloFlex122.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a361/mzcmdr/SoloFlex025.jpg

tangent4ronpaul
06-11-2008, 05:54 PM
There is already:

ronpaulflags.com

3'x5' standard, but cane make in other sizes, 2 designs. A bit pricy...

-n

SnappleLlama
06-11-2008, 06:06 PM
Wtf Is Up With The Picture And The Audio Clip?!!!

SnappleLlama
06-11-2008, 06:06 PM
Rolf!!! Listen To That Audio Clip!!! Ha Hahahah!!

SnappleLlama
06-11-2008, 06:07 PM
"send us a dollar, Lord JESUS!"

Patriot123
06-11-2008, 06:47 PM
Here's the design, I guess. Again, just something very, very, very basic.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/4392/flagrpcopybb8.png

Just like that. It shouldn't have anything else. Those that know what it is will know what it stands for, and those that don't know what it is will be curious and will begin to see them everywhere, and will obviously begin to ask people.

SnappleLlama
06-11-2008, 06:52 PM
Here's the design, I guess. Again, just something very, very, very basic.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/4392/flagrpcopybb8.png

Just like that. It shouldn't have anything else. Those that know what it is will know what it stands for, and those that don't know what it is will be curious and will begin to see them everywhere, and will obviously begin to ask people.

Awesome...I can start ordering these, or we can all make them...anyone have a preference?

Patriot123
06-11-2008, 07:08 PM
I think ordering them would be extremely costly, to be honest. Think about the amount of donations needed to keep it running. You'd need, what? Close to three hundred for two hundred flags. I don't think it would be able to be maintained for long. However if we make them "home-made," they would turn out crappy. If we decide to do that, though, (make them ourselves) how would we go about doing that? What kind of paper? Where to buy the proper sticks for it? Etc. Now what we can do to speed this up is get a lot of people involved to just start making them there selves and to just mail them in to whoever would run the thing.

Before we do anything, though, we should get a website in order where people can request them. I can start on that if you like.

american.swan
06-11-2008, 07:13 PM
I would like to let people know that flags with different logos and such are great but don't be surprised in the case of them becoming too popular that people will complain that this is some secret effort to replace the stars and strips which of course it isn't but we had a rather large thread about this last year that made some angry.

I LOVE FLAGS AND BANNERS.

I suggest we use old middle ages type banners.

They are unique and would be harmless....no one could think they are replacing the stars and bars.

example : http://www.realmcollections.com/images/t/Banners_The_Magic_Unicorn_Banner_N605_39.jpg

Patriot123
06-11-2008, 07:17 PM
You know, perhaps basic vinyl stickers would suffice. It would be much easier to work with and mail out, and it would still have the same affect of a symbol.

SnappleLlama
06-11-2008, 07:19 PM
So we're making stickers, now? okay, that's much easier to deal with!

Patriot123
06-11-2008, 07:23 PM
Well, whatever you like. The idea is to have a symbol, and to really get it out there. It would get the same basic message across. I can't be the one to run this, though. I just through the idea out there, that's all. But if someone does want to run this, I can certainly get a basic website going for you. Just the coding, though.

SnappleLlama
06-11-2008, 07:24 PM
How large do you want these vinyl decals?

malkusm
06-11-2008, 07:26 PM
How large do you want these vinyl decals?

BIG.

Patriot123
06-11-2008, 07:26 PM
Well, they could just be the size of your basic bumper sticker, really. One standard size for all. 3x11ish?

SnappleLlama
06-11-2008, 07:28 PM
Actually, I'm not sure if that design is copyrighted?

SnappleLlama
06-11-2008, 07:30 PM
For instance, some people have already created this (it's on a black bg):

http://www.cafepress.com/buy/revolution+ron+paul/-/pv_design_prod/id_19980773/p_storeid.139157431/pNo_139157431

Patriot123
06-11-2008, 07:41 PM
Well, there's no harm in starting a campaign to give them out to people. Right?

http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/6622/bumperstickercopyll5.png

Public domain image.

SnappleLlama
06-11-2008, 07:44 PM
Good call...I'll fund it (at least to start). Let's do the above image, then...

malkusm
06-11-2008, 07:47 PM
It's nice to be around so many enthusiastic people. I feel like there are good new ideas around here every week.

Makes me depressed to leave my front door and see how bad it really is.

Patriot123
06-11-2008, 07:53 PM
Well again, I just got the idea out there. I can't run it or anything. The idea just sort of hit me, and I just figured I'd post it up :p But I can do the website and whatnot. But if you want to run the thing, it's all you, or whoever else wants to help run it. I'll do the website and whatnot, but that's really all I can do.

A Ron Paul Rebel
06-12-2008, 05:47 AM
I think the 'stickers' is a terrible idea, as well as,
'homemade flags'. Those would look cheap... very
cheap and they'd be weak too.

If I was to display a flag, I want it to be a professional
flag made from sturdy material.

NO 'homemade flag' for me!

SnappleLlama
06-12-2008, 06:09 AM
The problem is that professional-looking flags cost a lot of $$$ to purchase, especially for (possibly) thousands of people. I can donate some money to get started (because the idea is not to charge anyone for these) but I just can't afford to spend $1,000 on flags/stickers/etc.

A Ron Paul Rebel
06-12-2008, 06:15 AM
The problem is that professional-looking flags cost a lot of $$$ to purchase, especially for (possibly) thousands of people. I can donate some money to get started (because the idea is not to charge anyone for these) but I just can't afford to spend $1,000 on flags/stickers/etc.

good luck with that!

...not charge or not profit?

'not profit' I can kind of agree with.
'not charge' will lead to more broke-ass donors,
which gets us right where we're at... sucking
ourselves dry AGAIN.

SnappleLlama
06-12-2008, 06:19 AM
good luck with that!

...not charge or not profit?

'not profit' I can kind of agree with.
'not charge' will lead to more broke-ass donors,
which gets us right where we're at... sucking
ourselves dry AGAIN.

This world is a cruel, cruel place for nice people (ex: Ron Paul)! :(

I would feel weird charging people for professionally made flags.

Being an entrepreneur is obviously NOT in my future...

Maybe I just need more coffee?

...dashes off....

A Ron Paul Rebel
06-12-2008, 07:04 AM
This world is a cruel, cruel place for nice people (ex: Ron Paul)! :(

I would feel weird charging people for professionally made flags.

Being an entrepreneur is obviously NOT in my future...

Maybe I just need more coffee?

...dashes off....

Sorry to say but I think you've philosophically confused
a couple of things.

Dr. Paul's nicety and people being cruel to him
has nothing to do with 'not charging=being nice'!
Dr. Paul charges $ for his book and rightfully so.
Not only does he charge $ but he's making a profit...
again, rightfully so.

'Turning a profit being bad' is propaganda by those
who want to stagnate freedoms of both individuals
as well as that of business.

Please don't think that EVERYONE who charges a
price is automatically a profiteer... And please don't
think that anyone who profits is automatically bad or evil.

...Evolution of society is possible due to new products
and is ONLY possible when an exchange of values is
made (whether that be $, bartering, work, etc...)
If there's not an exchange of values, then 'evolution'
will be short lived and will quickly stagnate and die.
There is no alternative!

Hunter

p.s. This is a reality that I have had to learn the hard way.
I too have given, given and given more (out of wanting
to be nice) for nothing in return, which has only resulting
in me struggling more.

...Only recently, have I come to the realization that I can
(AND SHOULD) request honest value exchange and that
I need not feel guilty about it!

p.p.s. For the record, I'm also 100% clear on the value of
'volunteering' and 'giving of my efforts to great causes'.
I'm just also clear about the flip side of the coin too.

SnappleLlama
06-12-2008, 07:08 AM
'Turning a profit being bad' is propaganda by those
who want to stagnate freedoms of both individuals
as well as that of business.

Please don't think that EVERYONE who charges a
price is automatically a profiteer... And please don't
think that anyone who profits is automatically bad or evil.

LOL...oh no, I am all for profits and small/large businesses...I just have a guilt complex brought on by my Catholic upbringing! *flogs herself*

With that being said, I'll look into the professional flag/sticker thing, but I'll take $$ only if people want to give it...kind like what Radiohead did with their last album.

acptulsa
06-12-2008, 07:14 AM
Well, we seem to have two finalists. I wonder if Op should post a poll.

On the one hand, we have the familiar revolution logo.
Pro: Easy to make look good even at home, familiar, conveys a specific message.
Con: Could be considered a campaign sign and irritate the neighbors after November, people with preconceived notions won't comment on it for fear you'll bend their ears about libertarianism.

On the other, the Bennington Flag.
Pro: It's a flag. It isn't a campaign sign. They are in production. They are historic. They are patriotic. They're from the Revolutionary War. They are a conversation starter.
Con: Real, well-made flags aren't cheap. People don't come away with a message just from looking at them (unless and until word spreads). Some may say oh, no, now they're trying to change our flag!

More input, please. I like this idea, but we (whether or not it is an anathema to libertarians) really should standardize.