PDA

View Full Version : Bugout Bag - Care And Feeding

asgardshill
06-10-2008, 06:43 PM
An RPF poster whose home is apparently in danger of being consumed by wildfire started another thread, noting that she would probably be evacuating as quickly as possible.

I'm a firm believer in being prepared for just such an emergency, whether it is fire, natural disaster, flood, or societal unrest. To that end, I have compiled a variety of essential items into what I call a bugout bag. My "bag" is a plastic tool chest on wheels, kept in the back of the closet in the front hallway, which can easily be snagged on my way out the door.

I keep a printed list, frequently updated, of items that are not actually inside the bag that I need to go grab before bugging out. I've attached copies of this list to the front of the bag for quick reference, and each item on the list is prioritized in sequential order. This list includes any and all camping supplies and portable generator/fuel that I keep elsewhere in the house and garage, instructions to fill up my water supply and/or grab any bottled water and food in the kitchen, medications, money and valuables kept elsewhere, etc.

Here's some of what I keep in my bugout bag:

batteries
battery charger, solar
blanket, emergency
camp stove with fuel
candles
cell phone (did you know that you can use any cell phone, even one that is not activated, to call 911?)
clothing kit (packed depending on the season)
copies of important papers (insurance policies, prescriptions, name and phone number of insurance agent and main offices of insurance carrier, family and friends out of area, name of family attorney, copies of deeds, titles, ID cards, passport, and inventory list of Bugout Bag contents)
duplicates of credit cards
first aid kit
fishing kit
flashlights and other light sources
food (Mainstay "lifeboat bars", freeze-dried, MREs)
GPS
hard drive, external (contains all financial and personal records, updated monthly)
keys to everything
kitchen pack (utensils, matches, mess kit, etc.)
knives (Swiss Army, machete, others)
laptop (contains scans of all family photos)
med kit (all prescriptions, OTC meds, vitamins)
money (roll of quarters, some FRNs, gold and silver)
money belt
pen, pencil and paper
phone book
phone cards
portable toilet and supplies
radios
solar still kit
spares kit (bulbs, mantles, sewing, general repair)
sunblock
survival guide
tactical harness (holds canteens, weapon belt, and small items in pockets and hanging from belt. I built it from a surplus SWAT tactical harness. Good for keeping essentials at arm's length if you have to go into town)
tape
tarp
tent
toilet paper
tool kit (hammer, screws, nails, saws, screwdrivers, shovel, etc.)
topo maps annotated with GPS coordinates
towels
water (12 bricks retort packaged and water jugs (kept full and rotated))
water purifier (Katadyn Hiker) with spare filters
weapons with ammo
whistle

The whole bugout bag, water included, is light enough for me to lift it into my vehicle and/or just pull around.

amy31416
06-10-2008, 06:48 PM
I guess it goes without saying that your vehicle should have some basic auto-specific tools along with jumper cables and emergency breakdown stuff. Another thing that's very handy is one of those mobile rechargers/jumper batteries, mine has a regular outlet that could come in very handy. Oh, and also an inverter that plugs into your cigarette lighter.

Thanks for the list, very useful.

asgardshill
06-10-2008, 06:51 PM
I guess it goes without saying that your vehicle should have some basic auto-specific tools along with jumper cables and emergency breakdown stuff. Another thing that's very handy is one of those mobile rechargers/jumper batteries, mine has a regular outlet that could come in very handy. Oh, and also an inverter that plugs into your cigarette lighter.

Thanks for the list, very useful.

Good point - I was going to do another topic on stuff you should keep in your vehicles. And everything you mentioned is in all of mine.

amy31416
06-10-2008, 06:55 PM
Good point - I was going to do another topic on stuff you should keep in your vehicles. And everything you mentioned is in all of mine.

Hey, feel free to post the specific list here! My list isn't very specific.

asgardshill
06-10-2008, 06:57 PM
Hey, feel free to post the specific list here! My list isn't very specific.

I will, but I'm just walking out the door to go to dinner. Back soon.

liberteebell
06-10-2008, 06:59 PM
Good stuff. Thanks for posting. We in the hurricane zone need to keep one of these bugout bags (note to self: get busy! :p)

Grimnir Wotansvolk
06-10-2008, 08:27 PM
Won't it be a little disappointing if you never actually get to use it, though? We might have to incite an armed struggle with the undead just so all those resources don't go to waste.

Dr.3D
06-10-2008, 08:28 PM
The following web page pretty much describes what I have for my basic BOB.
http://www.freezedryguy.com/articles/alice_pack.html

yongrel
06-10-2008, 08:36 PM
Another useful item that I didn't see is high powered spot lights. I own a 1 million candlepower spotlight and a 12 million candlepower spotlight. They can both be charged off any car's cigarette lighter and are extremely useful.

Potentially, they can be used for signaling or general illumination.

They're cheap (20-60 bucks) and last ages.

http://www.amazon.com/Vector-Million-Candle-Rechargeable-Spotlight/dp/B000YYXQ2G

amy31416
06-10-2008, 08:46 PM
Won't it be a little disappointing if you never actually get to use it, though? We might have to incite an armed struggle with the undead just so all those resources don't go to waste.

Pfft. Not at all. My emergency kit in my car helped me break into my house when I got locked out in sub-zero temperatures in my pajamas (and only socks). I would have certainly gotten frostbite if I didn't have that stuff.

Of course, I could have gone to the neighbors, but they're weird and talk about Jesus all the time.

All that stuff in the car also helped during a major ice-storm when we lost power for three days. I powered everything off my car and was able to keep the cell phone and laptop going so I could communicate.

rancher89
06-10-2008, 08:59 PM
I know this is about the bug out bag, but don't forget the links and useful info in gunny freedom's thread

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=134413

this thread is chock full of useful info.

I hope he returns from wherever he is and picks up where he left off....

asgardshill
06-11-2008, 09:50 AM
I know this is about the bug out bag, but don't forget the links and useful info in gunny freedom's thread

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=134413

this thread is chock full of useful info.

I hope he returns from wherever he is and picks up where he left off....

Excellent point. I'm going to shift further posts on this subject to there. I hope he comes back soon as well.

asgardshill
06-11-2008, 10:12 AM

Hey, I keep garlic in the kitchen and silver bullets in the gun cabinet for those. And wooden stakes are cheap (I've got runner beans growing on mine though). ;)

DealzOnWheelz
06-11-2008, 10:12 AM
one thing i did not see on the list was BIRTH CERTIFICATES And if applicable 401K account info

asgardshill
06-11-2008, 10:14 AM
one thing i did not see on the list was BIRTH CERTIFICATES And if applicable 401K account info

I've got my birth certificate scanned on the spare hard drive, along with my DD-214 and other important papers. Its technically illegal to make copies of birth certificates I guess, but they feed and shelter you in jail so I'm covered either way ;)

MsDoodahs
06-28-2008, 09:46 PM
Not necessarily for the bug out bag, but definitely for your vehicle:

Add a Delorme Atlas and Gazetteer for your state and any others you will be traveling to/through.

The ones we have even show the dirt roads...

:)

MsD