PDA

View Full Version : Dr. DiLorenzo (author: The Real Linclon) interviewed - YouTubed

Jeremy
06-10-2008, 04:29 PM
This is a really good video on Lincoln that was on C-Span, and I just found the YouTube video of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbFty9nZUac

Just making sure everyone has a chance to see it =) It's very informative

Deborah K
06-10-2008, 05:31 PM
Ken Masugi of the Claremont Institute in National Review contends that "DiLorenzo frequently distorts the meaning of the primary sources he cites, Lincoln most of all." Musagi states: "Consider this inflammatory assertion: "Eliminating every last black person from American soil, Lincoln proclaimed, would be 'a glorious consummation.'" Compare the nuances and qualifications in what Lincoln actually said: "If as the friends of colonization hope, the present and coming generations of our countrymen shall by any means, succeed in freeing our land from the dangerous presence of slavery; and, at the same time, in restoring a captive people to their long-lost father-land, with bright prospects for the future; and this too, so gradually, that neither races nor individuals shall have suffered by the change, it will indeed be a glorious consummation." One need not be a Lincoln admirer to recognize that DiLorenzo is making an unfair characterization." Musagi further asserts that DiLorenzo failed to recognize "a disunited America might have become prey for the designs of European imperial powers, which would have put an end to the experiment in self-government."

FindLiberty
06-10-2008, 06:03 PM
Just making sure everyone has a chance to see it =) It's very informative

Thank you StormCommander, very nice.

I've heard him speak live and own both of his Lincoln books. But, this clip is so clear! It provides great info on his background, details many fascinating battles with skeptics and it brings the voice of this author to life for me.

apropos
06-10-2008, 07:22 PM
Musagi further asserts that DiLorenzo failed to recognize "a disunited America might have become prey for the designs of European imperial powers, which would have put an end to the experiment in self-government."

Seems to me that a civil war and the hundreds of thousands dead was pretty disuniting, and that Lincoln himself effectively put an end to self-government when he forbid the South from exercising their right to leave the union.