PDA

View Full Version : I feel like this sometimes, don't you?

OptionsTrader
06-10-2008, 03:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGGeQAEpe8s

LittleLightShining
06-10-2008, 03:35 PM
Pretty much all the time.

malkusm
06-10-2008, 03:38 PM
You mean his anger and emotion, or his opinion?

I agree with his anger and emotion, I do feel that way all the time about our political system.

I disagree with his opinion. Since when is it anyone else's job (even the media's) to spoon-feed you what you need to know about an election? If you care enough to vote, research and come up with the facts - they ARE out there, but they are not easy to come by. However, that's the world we live in, and it's the voter's obligation to make their own opinion.

Of course, very few people actually do research this, which is WHY this is the world we live in, in the first place.

OptionsTrader
06-10-2008, 03:42 PM
The anger yeah, malkusm, it was sort of for humor.

malkusm
06-10-2008, 03:43 PM
It was funny. I have a hard time combining humor with politics these days :(

LittleLightShining
06-10-2008, 03:48 PM
You mean his anger and emotion, or his opinion?

I agree with his anger and emotion, I do feel that way all the time about our political system.

I disagree with his opinion. Since when is it anyone else's job (even the media's) to spoon-feed you what you need to know about an election? If you care enough to vote, research and come up with the facts - they ARE out there, but they are not easy to come by. However, that's the world we live in, and it's the voter's obligation to make their own opinion.

Of course, very few people actually do research this, which is WHY this is the world we live in, in the first place. The anger, frustration-- all of it. No, we shouldn't be spoonfed the positions of politicians, but if you spend a few hours watching the "news" you should be able to glean something substantial in an election year. When you consider how much programming is dedicated to election coverage yet you still can't find out what a candidate stands for without digging (pretty deeply in some cases) on the internet, a whole portion of the population is excluded from the process. Think about older people-- how many people in their 70's do you know with internet access? I can name 2. They're married. Then if I look at the Boomers I know, just a small percent of them go online regularly. These are the people who are old enough to remember key events in modern history-- have fought in wars to preserve our freedom (or so they thought) and they are being disenfranchised by modern technology. And please don't say these folks should get connected to the internet. They barely have enough money from their social security to pay for fuel oil and prescriptions :rolleyes:

malkusm
06-10-2008, 03:59 PM
Sure, not having the internet is acceptable, but there are public libraries, cable channels (C-SPAN), and a host of other sources than the television. I mean, what did the elderly do before the television? They still voted, that's for sure.

But it runs deeper than that. It's more than just people who don't have the means to have it given to us. It's the much larger group that can get it and choose not to - but then vote anyway. You have no idea how many times I've debated someone in politics, to have them say "yeah, well I mean, I don't really care that much about politics." But yet, they plan to vote?

I blame the media for drumming up mindless bullshit to feed the masses, yes. But they are privately owned corporations and have the right to run their businesses any way they wish. It's OUR job to turn it off and realize it's stupid.