PDA

View Full Version : Appleseed is coming to range near you

B964
06-10-2008, 10:43 AM
At the RWVA Appleseed project we are working on setting up state promotional teams. We will be working on getting more Appleseed events in every state. Do you want to help your state and your country? Step up and do something.

http://appleseedshoot.blogspot.com/

voortrekker
06-26-2008, 02:35 PM
a bump for a most terrific all volunteer program.

appleseedinfo.org

"Why do you need a scope? It's only 500 yards."

amy31416
06-26-2008, 03:40 PM
Free for the ladies if you're so inclined. :)

B964
06-26-2008, 08:10 PM
Free for the ladies if you're so inclined. :)

Wait a second. Are you saying ladies can help save America for FREE?

amy31416
06-26-2008, 08:12 PM
Wait a second. Are you saying ladies can help save America for FREE?

I believe I am my sweet!

whiskersoil
07-07-2008, 08:53 AM
I just got back from the Ottawa Illinois Appleseed Shoot. It was a three day event, but I could only attend the Saturday and Sunday. The information I learned was highly valuable and beyond my expectations for the standard of marksmanship. I brought my newly acquired ar15 and put about 500 rounds downrange over the two days. The methodology for firing a shot was consistent and foolproof. I was taught how to make every shot in the same way, set up, find your natural point of aim (how to align your sights so your aim does not depend on inconsistant muscling), how to fire a shot and call it, and follow through to the next shot. Every detail in the process of firing a shot was accounted for, there was no mystery to what the proper technique would be.

At the beginning of the course, I was shooting maybe 10 moa groups at 200 yards. By the end, I was hitting torso-sized targets at 400 yards, and making consistent head-shots at 250 yards. Not only have I improved, I learned how and what to practice. Future range time will not be wasted.

We shot many Army Qualification Tests, requiring a shooter to make shots from 100-200-300- and 400 yards, standing, sitting, and prone. Every aspect was covered in a clear consistent manner by the very informative and passionate instructors. Where I did not qualify as a "Rifleman" on the AQT's, I greatly improved my score, established a comfortable and unwavering process, and learned how the shooting of a modern rifle fit into the scope of American history. I think 8 of the 24 or so in my group took home the "rifleman" badge.

I would highly recommend this course to anybody, expert or novice, ar15 or .22 cal. They take everybody, and everybody learns, and everybody improves. I am going to try and attend the weeklong bootcamp in october.

there is more info here:

www.appleseedinfo.org

HenryKnoxFineBooks
07-07-2008, 11:39 AM
I just got back from this weekends Appleseed at the home field in Ramseur NC. Let me say that they were very helpful and patient with me, as I had never shot a rifle before in my 40 years. I started out not being able to hit the taget at 100 yards. By Sunday, i was able to hit the target at 300 yards. Also, I am now able to understand what the above poster posted about MOA, AQT's, and other jargon.

I went alone to the appleseed; no friends, no one I knew before, and I had a great time. I learned the entire time, and meet some very nice people (I knew i was in good company when I saw the Ron Paul stickers on the cars as I drove in!), and the instructors were fantastic! I even lost my ear protection the last day, and they were more than happy to loan me a pair. ...and loan me a military sling,...and show me how to remove my bolt from my rifle,...(you get my point) :)

I recommend anyone who is on the fence about going to go. Go alone, or go with a friend; go if you are a total newb, or if you think you already know it all. You'll learn a bunch.

Cowlesy
07-07-2008, 11:56 AM
I just got back from the Ottawa Illinois Appleseed Shoot. It was a three day event, but I could only attend the Saturday and Sunday. The information I learned was highly valuable and beyond my expectations for the standard of marksmanship. I brought my newly acquired ar15 and put about 500 rounds downrange over the two days. The methodology for firing a shot was consistent and foolproof. I was taught how to make every shot in the same way, set up, find your natural point of aim (how to align your sights so your aim does not depend on inconsistant muscling), how to fire a shot and call it, and follow through to the next shot. Every detail in the process of firing a shot was accounted for, there was no mystery to what the proper technique would be.

At the beginning of the course, I was shooting maybe 10 moa groups at 200 yards. By the end, I was hitting torso-sized targets at 400 yards, and making consistent head-shots at 250 yards. Not only have I improved, I learned how and what to practice. Future range time will not be wasted.

We shot many Army Qualification Tests, requiring a shooter to make shots from 100-200-300- and 400 yards, standing, sitting, and prone. Every aspect was covered in a clear consistent manner by the very informative and passionate instructors. Where I did not qualify as a "Rifleman" on the AQT's, I greatly improved my score, established a comfortable and unwavering process, and learned how the shooting of a modern rifle fit into the scope of American history. I think 8 of the 24 or so in my group took home the "rifleman" badge.

I would highly recommend this course to anybody, expert or novice, ar15 or .22 cal. They take everybody, and everybody learns, and everybody improves. I am going to try and attend the weeklong bootcamp in october.

there is more info here:

www.appleseedinfo.org

I just got back from this weekends Appleseed at the home field in Ramseur NC. Let me say that they were very helpful and patient with me, as I had never shot a rifle before in my 40 years. I started out not being able to hit the taget at 100 yards. By Sunday, i was able to hit the target at 300 yards. Also, I am now able to understand what the above poster posted about MOA, AQT's, and other jargon.

I went alone to the appleseed; no friends, no one I knew before, and I had a great time. I learned the entire time, and meet some very nice people (I knew i was in good company when I saw the Ron Paul stickers on the cars as I drove in!), and the instructors were fantastic! I even lost my ear protection the last day, and they were more than happy to loan me a pair. ...and loan me a military sling,...and show me how to remove my bolt from my rifle,...(you get my point) :)

I recommend anyone who is on the fence about going to go. Go alone, or go with a friend; go if you are a total newb, or if you think you already know it all. You'll learn a bunch.

Two terrific posts --- thanks for sharing!

weslinder
07-07-2008, 12:16 PM
I'm thinking of going to one of these in the fall. Does it matter what kind of rifle that one shoots? I was hoping to use my Remington 597. Is that okay? I don't currently have a semi-auto centerfire rifle.

Cowlesy
07-07-2008, 06:32 PM
I'm thinking of going to one of these in the fall. Does it matter what kind of rifle that one shoots? I was hoping to use my Remington 597. Is that okay? I don't currently have a semi-auto centerfire rifle.

A Remington 597 would be perfectly fine!

GunnyFreedom
07-07-2008, 07:41 PM

I was at Ramseur too - the guy with the MARPAT boonie who ate MRE's

Cowlesy
07-08-2008, 06:17 PM

Gunny eating MRE's and Doktor_Jeep bayonetting feral hogs.

You can't beat it!

amy31416
07-08-2008, 08:22 PM

I don't know what you just said, but I'm glad you're back Gunny. :)

clytle374
07-14-2008, 09:03 PM
I might try and make it to one of these someday. The http://appleseedshoot.blogspot.com/ website is Linux unfriendly and I can't view the sling use part, any other source?

B964
07-15-2008, 03:36 AM
I might try and make it to one of these someday. The http://appleseedshoot.blogspot.com/ website is Linux unfriendly and I can't view the sling use part, any other source?

Let me see what I can find. Proper sling use is trickey to explain with out pictures, simple to show in person.

HenryKnoxFineBooks
07-15-2008, 01:47 PM
I had a bad sling that i brought to the Ramseur appleseed over july 4th. Went from not being able to hit the target at 100 yards, to being a 300 yard shooter with the sling. I liked the loop sling over the left bicep, felt very comfortable and rock steady.

Btw, Gunny, I was the one who brought the deer rifle, the .22 250. I was so ignorant, i didnt realize the different types of .22's, and just borrowed what was offered to me. :)

clytle374
07-15-2008, 04:35 PM
Let me see what I can find. Proper sling use is trickey to explain with out pictures, simple to show in person.

Thanks. I found a windblows machine to use. Thanks good info.

Cowlesy
07-15-2008, 05:47 PM
//