PDA

View Full Version : Florida tomato industry in 'complete collapse'

FrankRep
06-10-2008, 09:14 AM
Florida tomato industry in 'complete collapse'

Reuters
Jun 10, 2008

MIAMI (Reuters) - Florida's tomato industry is in "complete collapse" and $40 million worth of tomatoes will rot unless federal regulators quickly trace the source of a salmonella outbreak and clear the state's produce, an industry official said on Tuesday.

"We probably have $40 million worth of product we can't sell. We've had to stop packing, stop picking," said Reggie Brown, executive vice president of the Florida Tomato Growers Exchange.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration on Saturday warned U.S. consumers that the outbreak was linked to eating certain raw red plum, red Roma, and red round tomatoes, and products containing these tomatoes. Several major restaurant and grocery chains have stopped selling those varieties.

"It fundamentally shut down the industry," he said. "The stuff that should have been harvested over the weekend won't survive more than another day or so. The stuff we have in storage is getting riper every minute and at some point it will have to be disposed of."

Florida is the largest tomato-producing state, with a crop valued at $500 million to $700 million annually, he said. The state produces more than 90 percent of the nation's tomatoes this time of year, Brown said.

The FDA has said that it is safe to eat cherry tomatoes, grape tomatoes and tomatoes sold with the vine still attached. But those varieties account for only a tiny portion of the industry, Brown said.

The FDA has said it does not know where the contaminated tomatoes originated.

The infections have struck most often in New Mexico and Texas.

SOURCE:
http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSN6A33595920080610?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews&rpc=22&sp=true

orafi
06-10-2008, 09:27 AM
If I wanted a tomato and I lived in Florida I'd buy it anyway.

What's wrong with cooking them?

The FDA is full of jackasses.

amy31416
06-10-2008, 09:29 AM
If I wanted a tomato and I lived in Florida I'd buy it anyway.

What's wrong with cooking them?

The FDA is full of jackasses.

I, for one, don't like stewed tomatoes on my sandwiches or in my salad. They might be right on this one--glad I'm growing tomatoes this year.

brandon
06-10-2008, 09:48 AM
Don't worry tomato industry. The Federal Reserve will print 40 million dollars and lend it to the fedgov, who will then subsidize your industry. Everything will work out OK.

Dr.3D
06-10-2008, 10:03 AM
I for one, would like to know why we have had so many problems with vegetables lately.
Is somebody going around putting germs on the produce? What has changed since I was a kid when at that time we didn't have these problems?

Drknows
06-10-2008, 10:25 AM
I for one, would like to know why we have had so many problems with vegetables lately.
Is somebody going around putting germs on the produce? What has changed since I was a kid when at that time we didn't have these problems?

Probably the new types of fertilizer and pesticides they put on crops.

I lived on a farm for awhile i became deathly sick numerous times during the growing season. specifically right after they spray the fields. One night when i slept with the window open the farmer next to us sprayed his field and i had one of my lungs collapse.

I'm glad i moved back to the city where i belong.

LiveFree79
06-10-2008, 10:28 AM

I lived on a farm for awhile i became deathly sick numerous times during the growing season. specifically right after they spray the fields. One night when i slept with the window open the farmer next to us sprayed his field and i had one of my lungs collapse.

The reason you didn't have these problems a long time (50's 60's) ago was because commercial/corporate farming was in its early stages. Everything is done on such a massive scale nowadays. Many of these "outbreaks" of salmonella contaminated produce is because farmers are using dirty water to irrigate their crops. Most of it is non-potable recycle sewage water.

dsentell
06-10-2008, 10:31 AM

I wonder if things really are different . . .

Maybe there is more contamination of produce. Then again, maybe there is not.

It could be that back in the day when we were kids, we just didn't hear about a few people in New Mexico getting sick from eating tomatoes. A few people got sick, they didn't know why, we never knew about it and continued to eat them . . . .

There also seems to be a modern day panic over everything. 100 million pounds of ground beef are sold, 10 people reportedly get sick from it and so all 100 million pounds have to be removed from the market . . . .

Dr.3D
06-10-2008, 10:31 AM

LOL, I live right across the road from a dairy farm. When they spread the manure on the fields, I catch wind of it and say to my sons, "for lands sake". Some days, it smells just like the insecticide/herbicide isle at the hardware store. I am surrounded by fields where they are growing, corn, wheat, soybeans and sugar beets. Sometimes I wonder just how dangerous it is when the wind is just right and I smell that smell.

LibertyOfOne
06-10-2008, 10:42 AM
There goes the FDA again pissing on the lively hood of farmers.

freelance
06-10-2008, 10:53 AM

Could it possibly have anything to do with the fact that they're hell bent on passing some regulation that requires irradiating ALL fruits and vegetables???

dsentell
06-10-2008, 10:57 AM
Could it possibly have anything to do with the fact that they're hell bent on passing some regulation that requires irradiating ALL fruits and vegetables???

Boy, that sure could be, or bioengineering something for us to eat that would be resistant to all these contaminants ???

FrankRep
06-10-2008, 11:02 AM

I remember that news story. Could you find it real quick?

This event will lead to all fruits and vegetables be radiated by law for "your protection."

LittleLightShining
06-10-2008, 11:04 AM
Is somebody going around putting germs on the produce? What has changed since I was a kid when at that time we didn't have these problems?Ok, seriously, here's my theory. It's not pretty. These diseases, especially E.Coli, are caused by farm workers defecating in the fields.

Then there is also the spreading of raw manure on fields.

amy31416
06-10-2008, 11:05 AM
http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/Attack-of-the-Killer-Tomatoes-Poster-C10126049.jpeg

Zippyjuan
06-10-2008, 11:07 AM

Do you think that the FDA should stop trying to make sure our food supply is safe? The contamination could occur at any point along the production chain- from fertilizer (if they are using organic like manure instead of chemical ones) to a farm worker relieving himself in the field because there was no toilet nearby to the processing plant that washes and slices the tomatos (it appears to be only sliced tomatos) reusing contaminated water. WIth modern mass production techniques, it is much easier to spread contaminants than before when smaller amounts were handled at a time. Last year it was spinach.

Contaminations have been around for a very long time- testing and information is much higher now so more is found, identified, and announced.

As a consumer, just wash your vegetables before you use them and you should be fine.

HOLLYWOOD
06-10-2008, 11:08 AM
Don't worry tomato industry. The Federal Reserve will print 40 million dollars and lend it to the fedgov, who will then subsidize your industry. Everything will work out OK.

LOL! nice one... probably more like $100 Million after the devaluation of the dollar and graft to 'Friends & Family' of the politicians.

TACO BELL, McDonalds, etc have discontinued the use of tomatoes on their respective products.

Right now it looks like they're narrowing in down to the TOMATOES form Mexico

IMAGINE THAT! so add on $25 million a year of Taxpayers money to regulate Mexico's produce industry.

pcosmar
06-10-2008, 11:09 AM
Has the possibility of Mexican crops come up?
Over the past few years several salmonella outbreaks have been traced to Mexico.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=mexican+crop+salmonella+contamination&btnG=Search

Grimnir Wotansvolk
06-10-2008, 11:11 AM
What has changed since I was a kid when at that time we didn't have these problems?Hip-hop and video games.

amy31416
06-10-2008, 11:13 AM
What's strange to me is that this is salmonella, which is typically a poultry/raw eggs problem.

I think the farm industry is creating a parallel superbug problem by overusing antibiotics, just like doctors often do in people. Perhaps the bacteria that are normally killed have gained resistance and found it's way into the tomato fields via manure.

That said, alcohol kills salmonella, just drink a big swig of vodka with your salad. ;)

acptulsa
06-10-2008, 11:13 AM
Has the possibility of Mexican crops come up?
Over the past few years several salmonella outbreaks have been traced to Mexico.
[url]http://www.google.com/search?

Shush! You trying to scare people into a rollback of the gains we've made toward a North American Union? Next thing you know, you'll be talking about how unsafe Mexican trucks are.

Of course we'll save money if we can just expand the FDA to cover Mexico...

acptulsa
06-10-2008, 11:16 AM
That said, alcohol kills salmonella, just drink a big swig of vodka with your salad. ;)

Well, if we just take care of ourselves, what will be government's excuse to exist? We won't pay to take good care of them if they can't fool us into thinking they're taking good care of us.

Kludge
06-10-2008, 11:19 AM
Maybe I'm helplessly ignorant, but couldn't they just label the damned things every facility they go through?

asgardshill
06-10-2008, 11:29 AM
Meh. I'm allergic to raw tomatoes anyway so the rest of the country is now finding out what its like to walk in my shoes.

Kludge
06-10-2008, 11:42 AM
Meh. I'm allergic to raw tomatoes anyway so the rest of the country is now finding out what its like to walk in my shoes.

We grow our own :D

asgardshill
06-10-2008, 11:49 AM
We grow our own :D

Touche'

LibertyOfOne
06-10-2008, 11:53 AM
Do you think that the FDA should stop trying to make sure our food supply is safe? The contamination could occur at any point along the production chain- from fertilizer (if they are using organic like manure instead of chemical ones) to a farm worker relieving himself in the field because there was no toilet nearby to the processing plant that washes and slices the tomatos (it appears to be only sliced tomatos) reusing contaminated water. WIth modern mass production techniques, it is much easier to spread contaminants than before when smaller amounts were handled at a time. Last year it was spinach.

Contaminations have been around for a very long time- testing and information is much higher now so more is found, identified, and announced.

As a consumer, just wash your vegetables before you use them and you should be fine.

Yes, because I'm sure food suppliers don't have market forces that push them to make safe food. :rolleyes: This hole thing is blown out of proportion. Of the hundreds of millions of tomatoes produced in Florida only 134 cases? Cases that I bet involved idiots who didn't properly wash their food in the first place.

dsentell
06-10-2008, 12:01 PM
Then there is also the spreading of raw manure on fields.

Since the beginning of mankind this has always been used for fertilizer . . .

HOLLYWOOD
06-10-2008, 12:48 PM
Yes, because I'm sure food suppliers don't have market forces that push them to make safe food. :rolleyes: This hole thing is blown out of proportion. Of the hundreds of millions of tomatoes produced in Florida only 134 cases? Cases that I bet involved idiots who didn't properly wash their food in the first place.

It's the usual SCHEME for GOVERNMENT AGENCIES to increase their budgets and get the funding they want.

look for FDA increases in the near future and this will be another excuse for the FDA to grow and get funding well above the average government agency.

LibertyOfOne
06-10-2008, 01:42 PM
On the local news it has been reported that the FDA has cleared Florida as the source of the contamination. Way to go...... Millions in sales lost due to the FDA's incompetence.

acptulsa
06-10-2008, 01:47 PM
Floods in Indiana, fires in California, and tomatoes top the news. Is this because:

a. They don't want us looking at how badly FEMA screws up the response to the other two?

b. The other two don't give the FDA a chance to grow?

c. Those killer tomatoes may be in YOUR REFRIGERATOR! BE AFRAID! BE TERRIFIED!

I would accuse the press of being the "real terrists" but they'd just say they don't make the terror, they just report it...

constituent
06-10-2008, 02:01 PM
my hypothesis:

genetic engineering is to blame.

the reason being that genetic modification of organisms is not so straightforward as say, i mix a tomato with a squash and get a tomatosquash.

when genes are mixed what happens is different processes get switched on and off... then there is a cascading effect throughout the organism that can result in all sorts of things.

would the production of live salmonella within the tomato by accident or otherwise be beyond the scope of possibility? i don't think so.

not to suggest i have proof that would say it is (genetic engineering), but i don't know that anyone can authoritatively say that it isn't, yet.

voytechs
06-10-2008, 02:10 PM
Buy local. We lost control over our food long ago, but there is nothing stopping any one from purchasing from local farmers. Yet.

asgardshill
06-10-2008, 02:41 PM
Of the hundreds of millions of tomatoes produced in Florida only 134 cases? Cases that I bet involved idiots who didn't properly wash their food in the first place.

Yep. Isn't it yummy to think about eating a nugget of some migrant worker's Hershey squirts every time you wrap your mouth around a succulent but unwashed tomato from the grocery store? Wash your food people - you don't know where its been.

CurtisLow
06-10-2008, 04:49 PM
Yep. Isn't it yummy to think about eating a nugget of some migrant worker's Hershey squirts every time you wrap your mouth around a succulent but unwashed tomato from the grocery store? Wash your food people - you don't know where its been.

Funny but very true! plus all the chemicals they spray on it all

I ran across this video some time ago and found it in my bookmarks. Very scary what this company did and was allowed to do even tho the FDA knew about it..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS3mhjt7TrY :eek:

FindLiberty
06-10-2008, 05:06 PM
Now we have killer Tomatoes? OMG, what is this world coming to?

A "100 year" zombie is running for POTUS on the GOP ticket, we have conviction and prison time for victimless pre-crimes of thought or intent, the federal war on SOME drugs, a regional war based on lies and greed kills hundreds of thousands of innocents, wire taps, homeland security informants, waterboarding, US $ hit the fan, and now there's even sh#! on the food...

And this list is growing faster than those killer tomatoes.

I know I'm awake (from the Matrix) 'cause I took the red pill. But, all this makes the blue (butterfly?) pill seem oh so very attractive

torchbearer
06-10-2008, 05:13 PM
Nothing wrong with the tomatoes in louisiana.
Been serving them all week. No deaths or illness to report.
Of course, we sell locally grown tomatoes.

electronicmaji
06-10-2008, 05:28 PM
I Read this as "Florida Tornado Industry"

I'm glad their in collapse...fucking tornadoes...

SeanEdwards
06-10-2008, 06:10 PM
One significant contributor is the mass integrated distribution system that means people can find themselves eating food products from halfway around the world. This can make it difficult to identify the source of an outbreak, and any outbreak of disease can quickly impact consumers all over the place.

Just another reason why borders and compartmentalization is not such a bad idea. This is another downside of globalism.

Working Poor
06-10-2008, 06:16 PM

Agreed. I don't trust the FDA one little bit. I think they may have found something that is actually nutritious so they have to shut that down....

I don't trust them....

nobody's_hero
06-10-2008, 06:24 PM
Don't forget, South Korea's citizens are protesting (sometimes violently) against their government on the issue of resuming U.S. beef imports into that country. Apparently, our very meticulous government regulation and inspection progams aren't convincing our trade partners, either.

Cowlesy
06-10-2008, 06:30 PM
Oh man, I had tomatoes in my salad at lunch today.

amy31416
06-10-2008, 06:33 PM
Oh man, I had tomatoes in my salad at lunch today.

Quick! Do some shots--alcohol kills salmonella!

LibertyOfOne
06-10-2008, 06:34 PM
I just had tomatoes on my tacos after reading this thread. oh noes!!!

Cowlesy
06-10-2008, 06:44 PM

Let's see, I had Romaine hearts and fried oysters a la "Caesars" with gribiche, and Arborio risotto with "Caribbean Laughing" shrimp and spring vegetables.

But I washed that down with some white wine and a gin/tonic, as well as a glass of Cockburn's Port and a Warm chocolate steamed pudding with Valrhona chocolate sauce and pistachio ice cream.

Hopefully enough alcohol to kill any (if any).

amy31416
06-10-2008, 07:05 PM
Let's see, I had Romaine hearts and fried oysters a la "Caesars" with gribiche, and Arborio risotto with "Caribbean Laughing" shrimp and spring vegetables.

But I washed that down with some white wine and a gin/tonic, as well as a glass of Cockburn's Port and a Warm chocolate steamed pudding with Valrhona chocolate sauce and pistachio ice cream.

You should be fine (she said while drooling uncontrollably.)

OptionsTrader
06-10-2008, 10:10 PM

lol Amypi(e)!

Kludge
06-10-2008, 10:12 PM

Damn Cowlesy, are you a day-trader then?

OptionsTrader
06-10-2008, 10:16 PM
Damn Cowlesy, are you a day-trader then?

He's building up a stomach for it.

amy31416
06-10-2008, 10:37 PM
He's building up a stomach for it.

I don't care what anyone says, I love snooty food. Of course, I also love comfort food. A cheeseburger can be just as fantastic as lobster Napoleon.

revolutionary8
06-10-2008, 10:39 PM
I don't care what anyone says, I love snooty food. Of course, I also love comfort food. A cheeseburger can be just as fantastic as lobster Napoleon.

Say YES to tomatos, NO to vaccines.
deal?

Pedro TT
06-10-2008, 10:40 PM
Damn this explains alot. I work directly in front of a tomato processing plant/market and the place is usually bustling 24/7. For the last 1 1/2 weeks it has sat lifeless. This place is MASSIVE and has been practically shut down. I simply figured the season was over but I guess I was wrong.

amy31416
06-10-2008, 10:46 PM
Say YES to tomatos, NO to vaccines.
deal?

Sorry man! I loves my vaccines just as much as I loves my tomatoes. . . .mmmm, vaccines.

RSLudlum
06-10-2008, 11:15 PM
Between my grandfather's and father's gardens not to mention my own, I don't have to worry about this Tomato problem ;)

revolutionary8
06-10-2008, 11:24 PM
Sorry man! I loves my vaccines just as much as I loves my tomatoes. . . .mmmm, vaccines.
Stubborn assed reupblICANDOITMYSELF!
pssst... tomatoes are good and rich in Salsa.
:D
"dr" Amy,
consider consulting a second opinion?

revolutionary8
06-10-2008, 11:27 PM
Between my grandfather's and father's gardens not to mention my own, I don't have to worry about this Tomato problem ;)

As long as the FDA bans tomatos, Run for your own hills and ingest as many tomato(es) as you can?
yesss...
yesssssssssssss.

amy31416
06-10-2008, 11:28 PM
Stubborn assed reupblICANDOITMYSELF!
pssst... tomatoes are good in Salsa.
"dr" Amy,
consider consulting a second opinion?

But of course my sweet! 3rd, 4th and 5th opinions too.

And salsa also rocks, especially with heaps o' cilantro.

revolutionary8
06-10-2008, 11:31 PM
But of course my sweet! 3rd, 4th and 5th opinions too.

And salsa also rocks, especially with heaps o' cilantro.
Cilan-tro is from Me-xico.

7th?
Cilantro is bogus. :D
try cayenne mixed w/ peanut butter. Same "effect"

amy31416
06-10-2008, 11:35 PM
Cilan-tro is from Me-xico.

7th?
Cilantro is bogus. :D
try cayenne mixed w/ peanut butter

Blech!

I'd try that before I'd eat bugs though.

P.S. I grow my own cilantro. Do it while it's still legal!

revolutionary8
06-10-2008, 11:37 PM
Blech!

I'd try that before I'd eat bugs though.

P.S. I grow my own cilantro. Do it while it's still legal!
Clueless alert.

I grow my own cilantro as well. That doesn't mean I am dumb enough to spike my CHILI. Get in Line.
I am unique. (when it comes to chili)

amy31416
06-10-2008, 11:42 PM
Clueless alert.

I grow my own cilantro as well. That doesn't mean I am dumb enough to spike my CHILI. Get in Line.
I am unique. (when it comes to chili) CHILLLLIIII) NO "Dr. Amy" st uff.. CHILI

This has nothing to do with chili, dammit. I didn't mention chili, dammit. I was talking about salsa, dammit. Dammit.

I'm a Yankee, chili is shitty up here, dammit.

angelatc
06-11-2008, 12:01 AM
Don't forget, South Korea's citizens are protesting (sometimes violently) against their government on the issue of resuming U.S. beef imports into that country. Apparently, our very meticulous government regulation and inspection progams aren't convincing our trade partners, either.

I saw that on the news! The people there are absolutely convinced our food isn't free of Mad Cow disease. Those folks know how to protest - I'll give them credit.

But I didn't see a single truther sign. :)

I suspect the US government is demanding that the S Korean government open the markets back up, with the threat of not giving them money probably. That's the only reason I can imagine for the S Korean government forcing our beef on the people.

Edited to add: Here's a link to a story. http://worldmeets.us/thekoreaherald000009.shtml . The video was very impressive. I wish I could find it. A million people doing a synchronized sign event is very photogenic.

Carole
06-11-2008, 04:04 PM
Support your local farmers' market. Buy fresh locally grown tomatoes.

Carole
06-11-2008, 04:10 PM
People need to wash their hands. :)

Funny, should not the cleaning process for fruit and vegetables take care of this problem?

I need to research this, for my own good.

amy31416
06-11-2008, 04:13 PM
People need to wash their hands. :)

Funny, should not the cleaning process for fruit and vegetables take care of this problem?

I need to research this, for my own good.

Unfortunately, washing won't help in this case, the salmonella enters the tomato plant through the roots, thus being incorporated inside the tomato.

Processed, canned, and tomatoes cooked at high heat are fine.

Carole
06-11-2008, 04:13 PM
For sure. :eek:

Carole
06-11-2008, 04:14 PM
But not the human variety.

Carole
06-11-2008, 04:15 PM
Did not realize it entered through roots. Wow!

Carole
06-11-2008, 04:34 PM

You have to be kidding. :D

"Caribbean Laughing" shrimp D:D:D:D:D:D:D ROTFLOL

revolutionary8
06-11-2008, 04:35 PM
I just received a call from Neutron Industries trying to sell me cleaning products to save me from MRSA.
Poor lady called the wrong person, lol. I went on a long rant about fear mongering, then I asked her if their products would protect me from SARS. lol. I then asked her what was in it. She of course had no clue, so they transfered me to "their chemist" and of course "their chemist" had to look up what was in their products.
Turns out these people are trying to get me to breath Didecyl dimethyl Ammonium Chloride to save me from MRSA. I told them how I felt about that. :D

amy31416
06-11-2008, 04:42 PM
Bleach kills all rev8, and is cheap.

revolutionary8
06-11-2008, 04:49 PM
Bleach kills all rev8, and is cheap.
Yes it certainly is, and a small amt. can be added to water for purification purposes. I sure as hell won't spend the money they are asking for their products to protect myself from the dreaded MRSA epidemic, when I just bought a bottle at the dollar store for my toilet. lol

For cleaning purposes, (counter tops, kitchen, etc) I use non-toxic cleaners. Baking Soda and vinegar are marvelous.

amy31416
06-11-2008, 05:30 PM
Yes it certainly is, and a small amt. can be added to water for purification purposes. I sure as hell won't spend the money they are asking for their products to protect myself from the dreaded MRSA epidemic, when I just bought a bottle at the dollar store for my toilet. lol

For cleaning purposes, (counter tops, kitchen, etc) I use non-toxic cleaners. Baking Soda and vinegar are marvelous.

We're obviously on the same page. Hydrogen peroxide has some great uses as well.