PDA

View Full Version : Signs of hope after the KY state convention nonsense

mudburn
06-10-2008, 07:21 AM
I've posted some thoughts about and description of events at the Kentucky GOP state convention in another thread. I wanted to know what the chair and vice chair of my county GOP thought about the convention since they were both there as delegates. FYI, we are a small county with only 7 delegates total, 4 of whom were in Bowling Green Saturday for the convention. I sent the following email to both of them:

It was nice to see you yesterday, although it was quite brief. I'm glad I had the opportunity to go to the convention. It was an interesting experience, although I was disappointed that it was organized so that the delegates had little to no input on the business conducted. Even though the district convention limited the delegates' involvement too, at least there was a little opportunity for input and participation (although the delegates' actual role in that convention was too limited too). I was also disappointed yesterday with how the chair responded to points of order, calling them dilatory before they were stated. Although the chair has the authority under Article VI of Robert's Rules of Order to not recognize those attempting to raise a question of order or he may rule them out of order if he believes they are being dilatory, absurd, or frivilous, I believe this authority was abused yesterday. He basically ruled that all questions of order after a certain point in time were dilatory regardless of from whom they came, which is a violation of the intent of the rules, in my opinion.

Are these conventions always organized so that the delegates have no part in the business except to "rubber stamp" what has already been decided before the convention? Based upon the rules of the party, the delegates have the power to shape and direct the party and its platform, but the example of yesterday illustrated how that power is carefully manipulated and controlled, in my opinion. I am curious about your thoughts on the convention yesterday. If you think I'm out of line in my objections/concerns, please tell me so and explain why you feel that way, if you would. I'm afraid that yesterday's events will be interpreted by many as some individuals just being disruptive. I believe there was a desire on the part of several delegates there, including myself, to have a debate and discussion and to be involved in the business of the convention as delegates ought to be. There was no opportunity for the state delegates to have a meaningful or significant role in the convention, and the organization of the convention communicates a desire on the party leadership for the delegates to be impotent in this regard. I find that disturbing and am disappointed by it, but I am open to hearing your thoughts on the matter.

I received responses from both of them. The first, from the vice chair. She said:

I very much agree with you. I thought we would have, at least , a bit of a chance to voice our opinions on things. I was .... unhappy. I hope we can get together to make changes. We need to HELP THIS COUNTRY!!! We are The People as it says in the Constitution of The United States of America!!!

She followed up with a request for me to call her on Monday to talk about it. Which I did. We had a good discussion that I expect will lead to some positive efforts to organize Republicans in our and surrounding counties in order to affect the process.

The chair sent this message in response:

I was so angry I almost walked out. I have not been that aggravated for a long time and if the Sgt's at Arms had laid their hands on the young lady trying to speak I am afraid I probably would have been arrested. That was not my America I saw yesterday. Now where do we go from here. Politics is a nasty vicious game not for the weak kneed. Our little group seems to be like minded so I suggest we meet very soon and talk this out. I intend to write a protest letter to the Chairman with a CC to every Republican Official in the state and our Congressional delegation.

Have a great day and May God Bless America

He is a 'vote for the Republican team' individual. So, I was pleased that he was upset with the way the party handled things, not with people wanting to have input in the process.

Neither of these individuals are Ron Paul supporters, but they are conservative enough to agree with him somewhat at least. Hopefully, this will lead to some positive outcomes and organization in our area. Along with 3 or 4 other counties, we are an isolated section of our congressional district. We may work towards building a coalition with these other counties so that collectively, we will have more of a voice and say in things. I find it encouraging to see some like-minded views locally.

dp

SnappleLlama
06-10-2008, 07:24 AM
That's good news...some people are waking up to reality...

liberteebell
06-10-2008, 08:39 AM
That's why we shouldn't give up at this point. We found in Virginia that the party is fractured and that we won lots of respect from a lot of people who thought we were going to be a flash in the pan and were going to disrupt the convention.

Thanks to the media, we're viewed as outsiders. We need to change that to being true insiders. Unfortunately, it's up to us to prove that we're not the wingnuts so many think we are. It's easy enough to do though: dress nicely, be polite, talk about conservative principles, PARTICIPATE and bring friends.

Most of us in VA have done just that and little by little, we're showing that we are The Real Deal and are willing to help bring the party back to its roots AND we're finding people who didn't support Ron Paul but agree with us on most every issue; they're often too meek to stand up and are glad that we're doing it for them.

We are also having the opportunity to educate people on Real ID and it is NOT popular! (our knowledge also shows people that we're informed; yet another avenue to gain respect). Just wait 'till they hear how informed we are on the economy and money! :cool:

And the best news is that Big Wigs in the party are standing up in our defense and chastising others for not welcoming us with open arms. This list includes the new state party chair, my district chair, the new chair of the welcoming committee, and a couple of state senators, one of whom is running for AG and is a constitutional guy. :D:D:D

We CAN do this!

sratiug
06-10-2008, 11:01 AM
Great job guys!!! Very encouraging!

A Ron Paul Rebel
06-10-2008, 11:22 AM
we should do this for all counties/states so that we can track
'who is for freedom' and 'who is for power'.