PDA

View Full Version : Libertarians Are Racist?

rational thinker
06-09-2008, 02:44 PM
Have any of you guys heard arguments from liberals and conservatives that libertarians are racist? One person told me that because we do not believe in the federal government exercising much power over the states, we would have allowed states to keep Jim Crow laws and never have supported the Civil Rights Act. I don't know where they got this from, but I for one to believe in any of that. Unfortunately, they said that most libertarians they have come across do believe in that.

OptionsTrader
06-09-2008, 02:47 PM
Of course not, libertarians are more tolerant than conservatives and liberals.

Andrew-Austin
06-09-2008, 02:49 PM
Libertarians support an equal amount of freeom for everyone.

One person told me that because we do not believe in the federal government exercising much power over the states, we would have allowed states to keep Jim Crow laws and never have supported the Civil Rights Act.

Uhh, no that would be against the constitution. I don't think any libertarians emphasize states rights before emphasizing complete liberty for all.. Thats a garbage, smear argument.

Truth Warrior
06-09-2008, 02:52 PM
Well considering that "libertarians" are individualists and don't tend to think nor act in collectivist, people parsing, group-think, herd-mentality ways, what do you mean?

The "libertarians" were very early abolitionists way before the Statists came around. The statists imposed the Jim Crow laws, NOT us. Mostly Democrats, the former slave owners party, BTW.

Check out Amendment XIII. I still see an awful lot of "involuntary servitude" around.

Any more questions?

ARealConservative
06-09-2008, 02:57 PM
Have any of you guys heard arguments from liberals and conservatives that libertarians are racist? One person told me that because we do not believe in the federal government exercising much power over the states, we would have allowed states to keep Jim Crow laws and never have supported the Civil Rights Act. I don't know where they got this from, but I for one to believe in any of that. Unfortunately, they said that most libertarians they have come across do believe in that.

We don't go picking fights with other people/governments.

We are as likely to war with Mexico over abortion as we are to war with Alabama over racial hiring practices.

Grimnir Wotansvolk
06-09-2008, 03:50 PM
Put simply, he is a racist. Not the cross-burning, hood-wearing kind to be sure, but the flat Earth society brand that imagines a colorblind world where 500 years of colonial history and slavery are dismissed out of hand and institutional racism and policies under capitalism are imagined away

The sort of Left-Right alliance Frank advocates is not only opportunistic, but is also a repellent to creating the multiracial working-class movement that is sorely needed of we are to end this war. What Arabs, Blacks, Latinos-and antiracist whites, for that matter-would ever join a movement that accommodates to this know-nothing brand of politics?

http://www.counterpunch.org/wolf12122007.html

http://www.elitetrading.de/forum/attachments/ressourcen/3005d1201908390-traurig_aktienpower_fan_club-blank_picard_facepalm.jpg
this article made me stop reading counterpunch

tonesforjonesbones
06-09-2008, 04:00 PM
There are some people who freak out when you mention states rights. That is why some folks consider libertarians racist...but they really don't understand states rights, the 10th amendment or even the constitution much at all.

Kludge
06-09-2008, 04:03 PM
Most people think the argument over the Confederate flag is whether people are celebrating history or supporting slavery. States rights are almost never mentioned...

Danke
06-09-2008, 04:11 PM
Most people think the argument over the Confederate flag is whether people are celebrating history or supporting slavery. States rights are almost never mentioned...

http://www.myconfinedspace.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/sracist8ye.gif

tonesforjonesbones
06-09-2008, 04:14 PM
LOL...come into the paltalk chat room where I am an admin...you will hear a lOT of angst over states rights/ libertarians and the 10th amendment. TONES

tonesforjonesbones
06-09-2008, 04:14 PM
sometimes i think people live in a caccoon. sheesh TONES

Defining Obscene
06-09-2008, 04:16 PM
What a hunk of s***... I wouldn't expect these comments from right-wing, but EASILY from left-wing. Liberals love the federal government, that is nothing new. But if you want to get under their skin, play the scenario that most of the states in the union wanted slavery, then that means all states must allow slavery. They wouldn't be crying about states rights then, would they? They completely ignore the safeguards of our country and think they are for personal, immoral gains. I love liberals.

Danke
06-09-2008, 04:16 PM
LOL...come into the paltalk chat room where I am an admin...you will hear a lOT of angst over states rights/ libertarians and the 10th amendment. TONES

And to think, people don't believe public schools aren't "educating" our children.

Ozwest
06-09-2008, 04:18 PM
Ron Paul was branded as a racist, and a nazi.

What's with the shock and horror?