PDA

View Full Version : Is my delegate speech offensive?

spacehabitats
06-07-2008, 05:41 PM
OK, so I wrote a speech for my wife to give at our state convention. Although she has made no secret of her support for Ron Paul, she is not running as a "Ron Paul" delegate. As a newcomer to GOP activism her resume cannot compete with most of the other candidates for RNC delegate. She has called hundreds of delegates in our district (Iowa 5th) and it is obvious that McCain's popularity is frankly pretty poor (especially for a "presumptive" nominee). I really think she has a better chance of gathering some discontent vote rather than playing it sweetness and light.

She wants me to tone it down, but I'm afraid it would be easier to just rewrite it. Myself, I'm more of a "rather be shot for a lion than a lamb" kind of guy.
Here it is.

"I understand I only have two minutes, so I had better cut to the chase.

Let me start off by giving you a few good reasons NOT to vote for me.

If you consider the office of delegate to the Republican National Convention to be a symbolic title given as a reward for years of faithful service to the party with no real importance other than to rubber stamp a few meaningless platform resolutions and attend cocktail parties after hours... then you probably should NOT vote for me.

If you are content with the way our party has been ignoring common sense and compromising our conservative principles to the point that people laughingly refer to us as “Republicrats”, then do NOT vote for me.

If you are happy to see our once proud nation 9 trillion dollars in debt, kowtowing to tinhorn demagogues like Hugo Chavez, with the average American working five months out of the year as a slave to the federal income tax and paying $4 a gallon for gasoline; then do NOT vote for me.

Now let me tell you why I think you WILL vote for me.

Because for the last two months I have been calling and speaking with you by the hundreds. I wanted to know if you were as concerned as I am with the course of this party and this nation.

And you have told me that you share my concerns.

You are tired of empty promises. You are fed up with seeing our wonderful party platform ignored by our elected officials.

You aren't happy to see the GOP becoming older, smaller, and weaker; while young people flock by the millions to some smooth-talking smiling face promising “change”.

What bothers you is NOT bipartisan squabbling, what scares you (and ME) are the times when our Republican “leaders” reach across the aisle to join hands with the Democrats to sellout our conservative principles and our God-given rights.

We were told that we needed cheap labor so OUR LEADERS allowed 20 million illegal aliens to flood across the borders, crippling our hospital emergency rooms, paralyzing our schools, and draining our national treasury.

And WE can pass all of the resolutions we want about making English the official language of the United States, but if we give these illegals amnesty and let their families by the tens of millions become U.S. citizens; they will join with the Democrats to make Republicans the minority party, permanently.

At the risk of being “politically incorrect” let me offer one quote from the Bible,

“I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.

So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.”

So I guess if you want another “lukewarm” delegate that will be just another pretty face that will smile and applaud on cue, don't vote for me.

But if you want someone to represent you at the national convention, voice your concerns, and hold our leaders feet to the fire until they are as committed to our party, our platform, and our nation as WE are... then vote for *******, because I'm your girl."

yongrel
06-07-2008, 05:43 PM
Excellent speech. It should go over very well. If you are even a mediocre speaker, you will get applause after it. I wish ya the best of luck.

Cowlesy
06-07-2008, 05:49 PM
Two words:

Slam Dunk.

RPTXState
06-07-2008, 05:50 PM
Since I highly doubt (and hope) that no illegal immigrants are delegates, then this is a good speech.

LibertiORDeth
06-07-2008, 05:50 PM
Three cheers! WOOT!

soapmistress
06-07-2008, 05:51 PM
Nice!

surf
06-07-2008, 05:52 PM
i like it. make sure everyone knows to mark their ballots correctly in Iowa.

spacehabitats
06-07-2008, 06:13 PM
Since I highly doubt (and hope) that no illegal immigrants are delegates, then this is a good speech.

Yeah, and this (illegal immigration) is a hot button issue among Republicans here in Iowa.

It was on this issue, that McCain's CFR handlers really had to force him out of the closet and stand up against the vast majority of his own party to kill the Republican-sponsored immigration bill in the senate.

Otherwise they would have had to have made a Republican president (Bush) veto a bill sponsored and passed by a congress controlled by his own party!:eek:

As it was, McCain (the "maverick" Republican) took the hit for the CFR team and his nomination this year was his reward.

constitutional
06-07-2008, 06:16 PM
You might want to remove this speech from here. Google will index this thread in a day. You never know if those neocons are spying on these forums and disallow your wife from participating.

Just my opinion. Great Speech though!

pinkmandy
06-07-2008, 06:23 PM
Excellent speech. I wouldn't tone down a thing- talk like a leader and people vote for you. Great job and good luck!

Ditto pp, I'd take it down as well. :)

newyearsrevolution08
06-07-2008, 06:41 PM
sounds great, now go help others write theirs.....

spacehabitats
06-09-2008, 11:47 AM
sounds great, now go help others write theirs.....

I would be happy to.
I have always thought that it was a shame that we couldn't share ideas, speeches, brochures, etc.
No sense re-inventing the wheel.

If anybody really wanted help with a speech they could PM me and give me enough Bio and relevant resume information (examples of party acitivism, civic leadership, educational or professional achievements, or anything that would sound good) along with what they would consider some of their most popular Ron Paul issues with their local GOP regulars.

My wife's speech was geared to her particular situation, including a fairly recent arrival in the state (2004), recent GOP activism, and what we sense as a rather high level of discontent among the GOP rank and file with business as usual.

For example, our current county GOP chairman and his wife (county secretary) are good people who supported Thompson because of his traditional conservative values (understandable given the choices of "viable" candidates they were given).
They ran our precinct caucus and our county convention with class and impartiality and seemed quite fair throughout. (Even when my wife almost bumped her out of being a state delegate.)

They know of our support for RP and are still supportive and say they will vote for her for RNC delegate.

I think they are examples of GOP regulars that could be educated and converted rather than replaced.

I would be more than happy to work alongside many of these good people rather than "cleaning house".

rpfan2008
06-09-2008, 12:05 PM
Perfect!!

Just make sure she practices the pauses and tones.

Also consider Amistad's advice, he's right.

asgardshill
06-09-2008, 02:54 PM
Woo bloody hoo. Great speech - a stemwinder.

jvhspolodx
06-09-2008, 05:01 PM
Well the Bible quote is totally out of context, but other than that i dont think its too forward at all.

rodo1776
06-09-2008, 07:00 PM
That is a darn good speech.

For getting enough votes to get elected though are you all organized in your congressional district and is she on the "Slate" and do you have a slate for just the three delegates you elect for the CD? I assume it is three?

Have to have that slate going and all you RPers vote together.

This is a good speech though for hopefully bringing in some non Rpers that are not part of the Hack group.

Good luck. You Iowans work so hard in the summer a nice vacation up north to Minnesota would be nice the first weekend in Sep.

kathy88
06-09-2008, 08:45 PM
EXCELLENT SPEECH. Kudos.

alaric
06-09-2008, 08:55 PM
my own experience of the lesser argument is that in the past i was able (incorrectly) hold my nose. At this point the choices are so evil that i feel no sane person can vote for obamamccain. At the point we hear someone making that choice, we launch into our best Paul speech. It's usually my wife doing it. One of the kids had made up a card introducing her: I'm forever talking!:D

amy31416
06-09-2008, 09:02 PM
Don't tone down anything. Tell it like it is.

If she can give the speech with some semblance of passion and sincerity, it should have great effect. Short, sweet, to the point. I like.

spacehabitats
06-10-2008, 09:11 PM
bump