PDA

View Full Version : Packing in public: Gun owners tired of hiding their weapons embrace 'open carry'

JoshLowry
06-07-2008, 02:10 PM
Does Kevin Jensen post here? He is a RP supporter. :cool:

Article from LATimes.com: http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-opencarry7-2008jun07,0,849912.story

PROVO, UTAH -- For years, Kevin Jensen carried a pistol everywhere he went, tucked in a shoulder holster beneath his clothes.

In hot weather the holster was almost unbearable. Pressed against Jensen's skin, the firearm was heavy and uncomfortable. Hiding the weapon made him feel like a criminal.

Carry your gun openly for the world to see as you go about your business. In most states there's no law against that.

Jensen thought about it and decided to give it a try. A couple of days later, his gun was visible, hanging from a black holster strapped around his hip as he walked into a Costco. His heart raced as he ordered a Polish dog at the counter. No one called the police. No one stopped him.

Now Jensen carries his Glock 23 openly into his bank, restaurants and shopping centers. He wore the gun to a Ron Paul rally. He and his wife, Clachelle, drop off their 5-year-old daughter at elementary school with pistols hanging from their hip holsters, and have never received a complaint or a wary look.

Read More: http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-opencarry7-2008jun07,0,849912.story

pcosmar
06-07-2008, 02:21 PM
That's the way to do it.
It should be as common as man with a hat. :cool:

phixion
06-07-2008, 02:32 PM
Not difficult at all for someone to creep up behind him and take his weapon.

Seriously, open carrying in a RALLY or in crowds of people, too?

Someone could just lift it straight from the holster.

Not at all difficult for someone to follow him and take his weapon when he's unawares.

I see so many problems with open carry I find it an insane macho-statement more than protecting you and your loved ones.

Pete

phixion
06-07-2008, 02:34 PM
And just to add... sipping a fancy coffee in Starbucks through a straw while wearing a gun on your hip is just wrong on so many levels.

Pete

Danke
06-07-2008, 02:37 PM

Not at all difficult for someone to follow him and take his weapon when he's unawares.

I see so many problems with open carry I find it an insane macho-statement more than protecting you and your loved ones.

Pete

Cops do it all the time. You can wear a holster that makes it difficult to take the gun away.

pcosmar
06-07-2008, 02:54 PM

Pete

What. You have not the slightest idea,,Oh wait,

Yup. That explains it.

Uriel999
06-07-2008, 03:07 PM
What. You have not the slightest idea,,Oh wait,

Yup. That explains it.

Bwahahahaha. :)

phixion
06-07-2008, 03:31 PM
My country of origin explains nothing.

If you think that by attracting attention to yourself in such a manner helps keep you safe, whatever.

All it does is make weak men feel like bad-asses. It's a social statement. It's retarded.

Pete

pcosmar
06-07-2008, 03:37 PM

If you think that by attracting attention to yourself in such a manner helps keep you safe, whatever.

All it does is make weak men feel like bad-asses. It's a social statement. It's retarded.

Pete

Except the lack of knowledge regarding Firearms, Open Carry, The American Spirit, etc.

Remember what happened when the Kings troops tried to disarm the American Colonists. :D

devil21
06-07-2008, 03:46 PM
The comments on the article are pretty scary. Shows the overall liberal attitude toward guns. I bet those people would change their tune if they were caught in another mall shooting and a guy open carrying took the shooter out before he could kill everyone like a shooting gallery.

phixion
06-07-2008, 03:54 PM
The comments on the article are pretty scary. Shows the overall liberal attitude toward guns. I bet those people would change their tune if they were caught in another mall shooting and a guy open carrying took the shooter out before he could kill everyone like a shooting gallery.

Wouldn't the guy who'se open-carrying be the shooters first target? You know, eliminate the immediate threat.

Pete

phixion
06-07-2008, 03:56 PM
Except the lack of knowledge regarding Firearms, Open Carry, The American Spirit, etc.

Remember what happened when the Kings troops tried to disarm the American Colonists. :D

You will then find it very bizzare how I have more knowledge of the American political system than my very own in the UK.

Pete

devil21
06-07-2008, 04:00 PM
Wouldn't the guy who'se open-carrying be the shooters first target? You know, eliminate the immediate threat.

Pete

People that go on shooting sprees aren't targeting anyone in particular. They are targeting any one they happen to see at that given time. I can't accept that you would advocate only arming criminals!

By the way, hasn't the UK been experiencing a sharp rise in knife attacks and murders lately? Goes to show that it's not the weapon that is the problem. It's the person carrying it.

phixion
06-07-2008, 04:03 PM
People that go on shooting sprees aren't targeting anyone in particular. They are targeting any one they happen to see at that given time. I can't accept that you would advocate only arming criminals!

I'm all for concealed carry and believe in it whole-heartedly if the person is proficient in the use of their firearm.

It's open carry which seems foolish to me for many reasons.

Pete

pcosmar
06-07-2008, 04:03 PM

Pete

No.
Seeing an armed person would cause him to retreat in most cases. Add to that, once common again ( and in areas where it is) there would likely be more than one armed person.
On the occasions where I met someone with criminal intent while armed, the other guy retreated.
As to taking a weapon, Unlikely, possible maybe for a professional but unlikely.

Putting your hand on or near mine would have been a good way to get shot.

phixion
06-07-2008, 04:11 PM

By the way, hasn't the UK been experiencing a sharp rise in knife attacks and murders lately? Goes to show that it's not the weapon that is the problem. It's the person carrying it.

Plenty of knife crime and murders are occuring in London it seems. We've had 2 knife deaths in our city in the last few years. Never used to happen before.

Pete

pcosmar
06-07-2008, 04:21 PM
The Fact is,
In places where carry is common, crime is low, and there have NOT been a rash of gun snatching or shootings of gun owners.
In places where there is excessive gun control, crime is rampant, shootings common.

Maybe there is a cause and effect.

Kalifornia
06-07-2008, 04:49 PM
I support open carry, for mostly political speech purposes. In some places the animosity towards weapons is so great (interestingly, even in places where it is legal), that it is worth getting the attention, (and potentially negative attention) that comes with open carry just to get people used to the idea that not only cops, bad guys, and the crazy people portrayed by the media carry guns.

The best way I can put this in perspective is to tell a story. In my first year torts class, 100 or so future lawyers sat and discussed a case in which three men were out pheasant hunting and one of the hunters shot the other two hunters with one accidental shot, which damaged the eye of one of the two he shot... Many who read this will know immediately what happened. He peppered them with birdshot.

Of those 100 future lawyers, 98 had no idea how one shot managed to wound two people. The professor, a well known writer in the legal community, a great scholar of the 'law and economics' school, who is considered to be one of the best conservative legal minds in southern california, also had NO IDEA.

Two people in that classroom knew what had happened. Me, and an active duty U.S. Marine Corps officer. That's it. We had to explain that shot guns can shoot a variety of projectiles, and the one that the hunter had fired was birdshot. Then we had to explain what birdshot was and how it worked.

If people with that much education had no clue about guns except what the media tells them, what do you think the average voting woman who spends her time reading vogue and watching American Idol, with no direct experience with guns, thinks? We are in a struggle for hearts and minds here. If people see a peaceful person openly carrying, smiling, and having a pleasant time with their friends and family, once they get past the possibility of fit of media induced hysteria, they are going to get curious... Maybe they will ask questions, maybe they will actually ask that guy what he thinks, and maybe he can talk them into a trip to the range...

In the end, those that the open carriers piss off are beyond redemption, but those that they befriend become fellow 2nd Am voters.

newyearsrevolution08
06-07-2008, 04:55 PM
I see this the same way I see drunk driving, until you harm, hurt or kill someone then it shouldn't be a problem.

I would be more then happy to see people carrying all over the place. Up in the hills around Fresno it is very common to see Hunters with holsters due to bears and whatever else might get em and no one worries.

If me carrying a gun opening would make a criminal try and attack me then good luck to that soon to be dead criminal. That is usually why they are criminals anyways because they are stupid.

If I were a criminal and saw a few open carry patrons in the store I would think twice because odds are I would be spun off my butt on dope or whatever the criminal is on atm and then realize that those LAW ABIDING citizens odds are shoot daily waiting for the chance to kill a crack headed criminal.

Just my thoughts lol.

FindLiberty
06-07-2008, 05:21 PM
Cause and effect:

Ah, "that" must be why the occasional mass murderer nut case always heads straight to a (gun free zone) school, instead trying to have their shoot out rampage begin and quickly end at a Police station.

I feel the safest when lots of good people around me have guns. CC is more effective than OC because the bad guy (nut case or tyrant) can't be sure that they're the only one armed, so they tend to pick an easier, safer target elsewhere.

e.g., Smart bad guys tend to move away/stay away from Kennesaw, Georgia.

mudsling3
06-07-2008, 06:06 PM
Perhaps most people just take him as a cop.

pcosmar
06-07-2008, 09:15 PM
Perhaps most people just take him as a cop.

He don't look like a cop.
And that ain't no "cop" gun.
I'm guessing .45 LC.
http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2008-06/39687597.jpg

RedLightning
06-07-2008, 10:11 PM
It's open carry which seems foolish to me for many reasons.

Pete

It’s generally faster to draw the weapon when open carrying. It also allows you to carry a bigger handgun which is easier to aim and shoot. Sounds pretty smart to me...

Danke
06-07-2008, 10:12 PM
It’s generally faster to draw the weapon when open carrying. It also allows you to carry a bigger handgun which is easier to aim and shoot. Sounds pretty smart to me...

Good points!

ChickenHawk
06-07-2008, 10:17 PM
There are plenty of times I would consider OC a bad idea but that is a decision that I should be able to make for myself. There is simply no justification for a ban on CC or OC.

NaT805
06-08-2008, 03:22 AM
Open carry is more comfortable.

Cowlesy
06-08-2008, 07:37 AM
Does Kevin Jensen post here? He is a RP supporter. :cool:

Article from LATimes.com: http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-opencarry7-2008jun07,0,849912.story

PROVO, UTAH -- For years, Kevin Jensen carried a pistol everywhere he went, tucked in a shoulder holster beneath his clothes.

In hot weather the holster was almost unbearable. Pressed against Jensen's skin, the firearm was heavy and uncomfortable. Hiding the weapon made him feel like a criminal.

Carry your gun openly for the world to see as you go about your business. In most states there's no law against that.

Jensen thought about it and decided to give it a try. A couple of days later, his gun was visible, hanging from a black holster strapped around his hip as he walked into a Costco. His heart raced as he ordered a Polish dog at the counter. No one called the police. No one stopped him.

Now Jensen carries his Glock 23 openly into his bank, restaurants and shopping centers. He wore the gun to a Ron Paul rally. He and his wife, Clachelle, drop off their 5-year-old daughter at elementary school with pistols hanging from their hip holsters, and have never received a complaint or a wary look.

Read More: http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-opencarry7-2008jun07,0,849912.story

This guy is sitting in a Starbucks drinking an ice coffee with a straw wearing a Colt 45?

*blink*

I don't think I'd enter Starbucks with anything less than a .50 Desert Eagle! That place is lawless!

;)

Hawk45
06-08-2008, 08:19 AM
Unlike what is shown in the 'movies' the old west was a pretty peaceful place. There are VERY few documented instances of gunfights out in the streets, and then the primary one was where the Police (Wyatt Earp and family and friend) was trying to disarm some folks (ie Clanton and McLowry faction). This was more about control more than the act of carrying weapons but the fued of who was going to control the area and the illegal income combined with it.

Now would I like to carry openly? YES, as I have done it over the years as a Police officer. Was it secure from being grabbed? Yep! Wore mine in an appendix carry holster cross draw. If someone reached for it I reacted as it could have been two things I value that I was protecting!:eek: Only time anyone has ever got close was a female lawyer and I told her she didn't know me well enough or she at least needed to buy me dinner first. She didn't get the gun!

Appendix carry is much more comfortable while sitting and driving, especially with a large weapon like the Glock Model 21 I carried.

BTW England USED to have open carrying also. Only thing though it was SWORDS and only the aristocracy could do it or persons they designated. That is one of the reasons folks came to America as they did NOT like being 'subjects', but wanted to be CITIZENS!

asgardshill
06-08-2008, 08:25 AM
This guy is sitting in a Starbucks drinking an ice coffee with a straw wearing a Colt 45?

*blink*

I don't think I'd enter Starbucks with anything less than a .50 Desert Eagle! That place is lawless!

Smiley notwithstanding, a .50 Desert Eagle is a bad choice for me for a carry weapon for two reasons:

1. It weighs a ton.

2. I'd lose a lot of range time since I'd have to wait 6-8 weeks for the stress fractures in my hands and wrists to heal every time I discharged a round. Damn DE kicks like a meth-addicted mule.

Mini-Me
06-08-2008, 09:43 AM
There are plenty of times I would consider OC a bad idea but that is a decision that I should be able to make for myself. There is simply no justification for a ban on CC or OC.

This is pretty much the crux of the matter. Do I think that, in many instances, open carrying might be unwise? Well sure, like in places where OC is rare, although this might be a "chicken or the egg" scenario. However, that's a subjective value judgment, and it's best made by individuals (and nobody else even has the right).

That said, any store you walk into has property rights that trump your public carrying rights.

JRegs85
06-08-2008, 09:50 AM
OC isn't a deep political statement, at least in my opinion. Carrying a concealed gun sucks, it's akward and bulky. OC is just a more comfortable option - I wish we had it in Michigan.

pcosmar
06-08-2008, 09:53 AM
OC isn't a deep political statement, at least in my opinion. Carrying a concealed gun sucks, it's akward and bulky. OC is just a more comfortable option - I wish we had it in Michigan.

We DO. Though it is not practiced much.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0_OblLvnebU&feature=related

Cowlesy
06-08-2008, 10:02 AM
I found my new Turkey gun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip6ZWQUxQws

pcosmar
06-08-2008, 10:09 AM
I wish we had it in Michigan.

More Ammo for you from,
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/

Other than my experience while openly carrying in the Capital building (which is legal and now the staff knows it is also) I have not had any trouble. I open carry in East Lansing, Meridian Township, Lansing, and the surrounding area. I have also open carried in Flint, Brighton, and Traverse City (my home town) without incident...so far. I have also sent a 5 page information letter to all of the chiefs and a few sheriffs in these areas.

The unformatted info is below. Anyone is welcome to copy and revise and use this information and send it via email to their local Chiefs or Sheriffs.

Dear Chief XXX,Sheriff XXX:

Attached is information on the legality of the open carry of a handgun in Michigan. It is our hope that this information is helpful to you and that you will take the time to review the information and inform your officers on the legality of the open carry of a handgun in Michigan. We also hope that you work with your 911 dispatchers in regards to asking some simple question when they receive a call of a “person with a gun”. We thank you for your time and consideration in this regard and appreciate the difficult job you all do.
Sincerely,
Michigan Open Carry.

PURPOSE: To provide guidance in calls for services that involves a person who is openly carrying a pistol in a holster.

As you may know any law abiding citizen of the State of Michigan who can legally possess a firearm may openly carry (in a holster) said firearm in all places not explicitly exempt by law without a CPL (1). Those that do not have a CPL when transporting their firearms must do so as prescribe by law. No local ordinance concerning firearm possession is enforceable due to Michigan’s preemption law (2).

Brandishing and disturbing the peace are not an offense while lawfully openly carrying a firearm (3). Attorney General Opinion 7101, 2/02 states “…by carrying a handgun in a holster that is in plain view, does not violate section 234e of the Michigan Penal Code, which prohibits brandishing a firearm in public.” In regards to disorderly conduct due to the nature of this code, this law has been cited by officers to suppress or discourage lawful open carry. Since a person who is not licensed to carry concealed MUST open carry their firearms on foot in order to avoid criminal charge, nor is there any duty for anyone licensed to conceal their handgun, open carry is not disorderly conduct. The open carrying of firearms is not by itself threatening, nor does it cause a hazardous or physically offensive condition.

A person openly carrying a firearm on foot in a legal manner when approached by a police officer and questioned where the only reason for the questioning is because of the openly carried firearm need not give that officer their name and address. No license or ID is required to openly carry a firearm. Officers should not editorialize against open carry by private citizens in any way shape or form, or in any way suggest that a person should conceal their firearm. ]Suggestions and editorializing against lawful open carry may be interpreted as “commands” by civilians who are lawfully open carrying and may subject officers to complaints filed against them, as well as possible legal action against themselves and the department.

Recently it has been opined by the AG opinion, the MSP and Senator Prusi that persons with a CPL can carry a firearm openly in the exempted areas listed in MCL 750.234d.

(4). It is suggested that Law enforcement supervisors inform their staff in regards to the legality of openly carrying a handgun in Michigan. It is also suggested that an officer protocol be developed in dealing with such a call. It also would be beneficial to inform your dispatchers and your county 911 department in developing a protocol on receiving a “man with a gun” call. An example of some questions to ask a person calling 911 about a person openly carrying is included.

It is our hope that by informing you and all law enforcement personnel throughout the state about the legality of open carry that we can avoid any civil or criminal actions that might otherwise occur. If you have questions or concerns please contact your prosecuting attorney. We thank you for your time and consideration in this regard, and as law abiding citizens we appreciate the demanding and dangerous work you all do.

Footnotes:

(1) Sec. 234d (1) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:

a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.

b) A church or other house of religious worship.

c) A court.

d) A theatre.

e) A sports arena.

f) A day care center.

g) A hospital.

h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act.

(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:

a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession

of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity.

b) A peace officer.

c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.

d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.

(2) MSP Legal Update Newsletter: April 2007
Did You Know: It is not illegal under Michigan law to openly carry a pistol.

Preemption: In MCRGO v. Ferndale, the Michigan Court of Appeals held that local units of government may not impose restrictions upon firearms possession. Therefore, officers should check with their prosecutors before enforcing an ordinance that imposes a general ban on openly carrying a pistol.

THE MICHIGAN SUPREME COURT CONCLUDED: April 29, 2003 9:10 am v No. 242237

In sum, we conclude that § 1102 is a statute that specifically imposes a prohibition on local units of government from enacting and enforcing any ordinances or regulations pertaining to the transportation and possession of firearms, and thus preempts any ordinance or regulation of a local unit of government concerning these areas.

Further, we conclude that the specific language of the 2000 amendments to MCL 28.421 et seq., particularly §§ 5c and 5o, which were adopted more than a decade after the enactment of § 1102, do not repeal § 1102 or otherwise reopen this area to local regulation of the carrying of firearms.17 Accordingly, we hold that the Ferndale ordinance is preempted by state law and, consequently, we reverse.

In 1990, the Michigan legislature enacted MCL 123.1102 which provides, in pertinent part: A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state.

(3) Act 328 of 1931
750.234e Brandishing firearm in public; applicability; violation as misdemeanor.
Sec. 234e.
(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not knowingly brandish a firearm in public.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to any of the following:
(a) A peace officer lawfully performing his or her duties as a peace officer.
(b) A person lawfully engaged in hunting.
(c) A person lawfully engaged in target practice.
(d) A person lawfully engaged in the sale, purchase, repair, or transfer of that firearm.
History: Add. 1990, Act 321, Eff. Mar. 28, 1991

Opinion No. 7101 February 6, 2002 In part:

… Section 234e of the Michigan Penal Code does not define the crime of brandishing a firearm in public. The Michigan Criminal Jury Instructions, published by the Committee on Standard Criminal Jury Instructions, does not include a recommended jury instruction on brandishing a firearm. Research discloses that while the term "brandishing" appears in reported Michigan cases,2 none of the cases define the term.

In the absence of any reported Michigan appellate court decisions defining "brandishing," it is appropriate to rely upon dictionary definitions. People v Denio, 454 Mich 691, 699; 564 NW2d 13 (1997). According to The American Heritage Dictionary, Second College Edition (1982), at p 204, the term brandishing is defined as: "1. To wave or flourish menacingly, as a weapon. 2. To display ostentatiously. –n. A menacing or defiant wave or flourish." This definition comports with the meaning ascribed to this term by courts of other jurisdictions. For example, in United States v Moerman, 233 F3d 379, 380 (CA 6, 2000), the court recognized that in federal sentencing guidelines, "brandishing" a weapon is defined to mean "that the weapon was pointed or waved about, or displayed in a threatening manner."

Applying these definitions to your question, it is clear that a reserve police officer, regardless whether he or she qualifies as a "peace officer," when carrying a handgun in a holster in plain view, is not waving or displaying the firearm in a threatening manner. Thus, such conduct does not constitute brandishing a firearm in violation of section 234e of the Michigan Penal Code.

It is my opinion, therefore, …by carrying a handgun in a holster that is in plain view, does not violate section 234e of the Michigan Penal Code, which prohibits brandishing a firearm in public. JENNIFER M. GRANHOLM, Attorney General

(4) Three opinions on this topic. An AG’s opinion, the Michigan State Police, and a State Senator’s.

AG opinion No. 7097 FIREARMS LAWS OF MICHIGAN January 11, 2002: This conclusion is not affected by the provisions of section 234d of the Michigan Penal Code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.1 et seq. That statute prohibits certain persons from possessing firearms on certain types of premises as follows: Sec. 234d (1) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:

a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.

b) A church or other house of religious worship.

c) A court.

d) A theatre.

e) A sports arena.

f) A day care center.

g) A hospital.

h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act.

(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:

a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession

of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity.

b) A peace officer.

c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.

d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity. [Emphasis added.]

By its express terms, section 234d prohibits certain persons from carrying a firearm in the enumerated places but explicitly exempts from its prohibition “[a] person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.” Thus, any person licensed to carry a concealed pistol,… is exempt from the gun-free zone restrictions imposed by section 234d of the Penal Code and may therefore possess firearms while on the types of premises listed in that statute.

MSP opinion: Your analysis is correct. Non-CPL pistol free zones do not apply to CPL holders. The CPL pistol free zones only apply to CPL holders carrying a concealed pistol. Therefore, a CPL holder may openly carry a pistol in Michigan's pistol free zones.
Sincerely, Sgt. Thomas Deasy, Michigan State Police

Executive Resource Section, 714 S. Harrison Rd. East Lansing, MI 48823 (517) 336-6441

Senator Prusi’s opinion: My office received your inquiry regarding the legality of a licensed CPL holder to open carry a firearm in "Pistol Free Zones." On Friday we received a copy of your correspondence, as Senator Carl Levin's Office referred your letter to my office because your concerns mainly pertain to state issues. As such, I am happy to assist you in this matter.

My office has contacted the Michigan State Police legislative liaison and has received some answers to share with you. According to the liaison, it is legal to openly carry a firearm in a "Pistol Free Zone" if you are licensed a CPL holder. I was advised that your information was correct that MCL 28.425o and MCL 750-234d permit this activity. I was informed that there was no other additional relevant laws regarding this matter….Michael A Prusi, State Senator 38th District"

Example of a 911 Protocol for a

“Person with a gun call”

911: This is 911 what is your emergency?

Caller Ah….not sure if this is an emergency but there’s some guy with a gun on his belt here in the Wal-Mart.

911 Is the gun in a holster or is this person waving the gun around or threatening anyone? Is anyone injured? What is the man doing?

Caller Aaah…no one is hurt. Aaaah…the guy is just shopping. Pushing a cart looking at some frozen carrots I think. Yah he’s looking at carrots.

911 Does this man seem to be intoxicated or mentally impaired? Does he appear to be acting irrationally?

Caller No he doesn’t seem to be acting strange other than the gun. Can’t you send some officers here to check him out? Think of the children.

911 Does the person appear to be 18 years old or older?

Caller I would say he’s about 35 years old, average build, dark short hair, and he has a short beard. He’s wearing khaki pants with a dark blue polo shirt.

911 Sir, the open carry of a handgun is legal in Michigan by any lawful person 18 years old or older. Unless the person is waving it around in a threatening manner or is acting irrationally there is nothing we can legally do. Now if the person should threaten someone or become agitated let us know and we’ll send a car, but until then have a good night.

If 911 dispatchers had a protocol similar to this over simplified example for handling this type of call; that is just by asking a few short questions the adrenalin factor would be reduced and officer stress would be diminished. Each department can decide if a patrol car needs to be dispatched to investigate this kind of call, and if so, the officer would have more information on how to handle the encounter.

amy31416
06-08-2008, 10:38 AM
I found my new Turkey gun!

:eek:

There'll only be one wing left if yer lucky!

orafi
06-08-2008, 10:47 AM

Pete

Are you dyslexic? Read teh article again, the guy wants to be comfy.