PDA

View Full Version : Are you and avid AND active supporter - or a lurker?

Sematary
08-25-2007, 07:49 AM
Everyone here has found something in them that draws them to Ron Paul - even those who sit in the wings. My question is this - if you are AVID about the message that Ron Paul brings, are you also an ACTIVE supporter? Are you OUT ON THE STREETS on a regular basis, bringing the message of freedom and liberty to the masses? Or, are you simply a lurker?

Here's an event we held last Monday:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=tQLz610XFdk

Next BIG event:
Fenway Park, September 11, 2007
We are trying to get 20 volunteers out to distribute slimjims.

Future events:
New England Patriots game in October for similar event (more people, I hope)
Philly Rally!!!!

Want to do something similar to these?
Sign one of these pledges. Stop being a lurker and become an ACTIVE supporter!

http://www.pledgebank.com/ProFootball

http://www.pledgebank.com/probaseball

http://www.pledgebank.com/nascar

http://www.pledgebank.com/collegefootball

http://www.pledgebank.com/concerts

http://www.pledgebank.com/canvass

jb4ronpaul
08-25-2007, 08:05 AM
I am an assistant organizer for the Columbus Ohio meetup for about 1 month. I have a full time job, married with 2 kids.

I have formed a sign making team and we have hand made 50 banners and 50 yard signs and given out to members.

I organized the march for Ron Paul tomorrow for our group. I am printing out materials right not to pass out.

I am organizing canvassing and sign waving at the first Ohio State game.

I am organizing our first Paint the town Ron to be coordinated with the national event.

I work very hard to pass important information from this board (and other places) to all the members of my meetup and support the grassroots efforts going on.

That being said, I am getting tired of this forum. If there continues to be a lot of negativity, vulgarity, attacking people, immaturity, I plan on leaving. Its not the type of atmosphere I want to participate in. People can passionately debate without that. People can disagree and respect each other. People can bring out the best of others or the worse. Seeing all that negative stuff lessens my enthusiasm, so better to just leave.

john_anderson_ii
08-25-2007, 08:07 AM
I can't say I've signed any one of those pledges, but I can say I was just made aware of them a day ago. I'm not one to go promising something I know I can't keep, so it might take a few days to see what I'm doing...(Or what the wife has me doing..priorities, they are a bitch).

But I can say that I have a wife, three kids, and a steady blue collar income, and I've still managed to donate $90 this week. It's not as much as I would like, but it's what I've got to give.

I look at it as a winner take all scenario. If we win, we have no taxes and I get the money that rightly belongs to me, my wife, and my kids back.

Sematary
08-25-2007, 08:09 AM
I am an assistant organizer for the Columbus Ohio meetup for about 1 month. I have a full time job, married with 2 kids.

I have formed a sign making team and we have hand made 50 banners and 50 yard signs and given out to members.

I organized the march for Ron Paul tomorrow for our group. I am printing out materials right not to pass out.

I am organizing canvassing and sign waving at the first Ohio State game.

I am organizing our first Paint the town Ron to be coordinated with the national event.

I work very hard to pass important information from this board (and other places) to all the members of my meetup and support the grassroots efforts going on.

That being said, I am getting tired of this forum. If there continues to be a lot of negativity, vulgarity, attacking people, immaturity, I plan on leaving. Its not the type of atmosphere I want to participate in. People can passionately debate without that. People can disagree and respect each other. People can bring out the best of others or the worse. Seeing all that negative stuff lessens my enthusiasm, so better to just leave.

I'm glad to see your group is active. Too many aren't.
As for the negativity - I don't really see it. I think most people here are passionate and want Ron Paul to win. I don't see alot of negativity though.

Sematary
08-25-2007, 08:11 AM
I can't say I've signed any one of those pledges, but I can say I was just made aware of them a day ago. I'm not one to go promising something I know I can't keep, so it might take a few days to see what I'm doing...(Or what the wife has me doing..priorities, they are a bitch).

But I can say that I have a wife, three kids, and a steady blue collar income, and I've still managed to donate $90 this week. It's not as much as I would like, but it's what I've got to give.

I look at it as a winner take all scenario. If we win, we have no taxes and I get the money that rightly belongs to me, my wife, and my kids back.

We all have obligations, John. Like you, I have a wife, kids, etc... etc...
I've been working 50 and 60 hour weeks for months due to some financial difficulties caused by crappy tenants and I'm going to have to blow off school this semester and get a second job because I'm so far behind, but, like you, I find a way to get it done.
Good Job, John. Keep the faith and keep working hard. It's the on the ground stuff that helps more than anything.

Omnis
08-25-2007, 08:14 AM
I'm a lurker and I feel terrible about it. The main reason being that I don't have a license or car to go to any of the meetup events...

I've done what I can to show my support, though. I bring up Ron Paul in every discussion of politics and have made signs and t-shirts for myself.

richard1984
08-25-2007, 08:15 AM
I'm about to start walking around campus (University of Tennessee, Knoxville) with a big, personalized Ron Paul sign anchored in my backpack and extending up over my head! It's gonna be amusing to see me, but hopefully I can help spread intrigue and the good Doctor's name! :D

Alien11
08-25-2007, 08:15 AM
I wish I could be more active, but I currently work in Japan and can do all I can from here to support Ron Paul!

Sematary
08-25-2007, 08:26 AM
I'm a lurker and I feel terrible about it. The main reason being that I don't have a license or car to go to any of the meetup events...

I've done what I can to show my support, though. I bring up Ron Paul in every discussion of politics and have made signs and t-shirts for myself.

There ARE other things you can do.
Do you live near any shopping centers? Malls? Grocery stores? You get the idea.
distribute slimjims or tri-folds at these places. You can simply place them on windshields, or you can take a more pro-active approach and talk to people as they are coming and going and hand them the literature.
If you live in the boonies (like me), you can canvass your town door to door and talk to people.
Any ideas there you think you can do?

Sematary
08-25-2007, 08:27 AM
I'm about to start walking around campus (University of Tennessee, Knoxville) with a big, personalized Ron Paul sign anchored in my backpack and extending up over my head! It's gonna be amusing to see me, but hopefully I can help spread intrigue and the good Doctor's name! :D

Bring literature!!!!

Sematary
08-25-2007, 08:28 AM
I wish I could be more active, but I currently work in Japan and can do all I can from here to support Ron Paul!

Are you in the military or a civilian?
Have you started, or joined a meetup group?
I'm curious as to what you can, or do, do in Japan (or any other foreign country for that matter).

richard1984
08-25-2007, 08:32 AM
Bring literature!!!!

Oh I will. No worries. I've got 500 of these cards on order ( http://www.libertytalk.com/liberty_card.php ), and I'll bring other printed material as well. I'm just nervous about walking into class everyday with a bigass sign. But I guess I'll be making a statement, huh?

inibo
08-25-2007, 08:32 AM
I have been contributing money to the campaign when I can afford it. About $300 so far. It doesn't sound like much, but a huge tax bill and a little budgetary carelessness on my part earlier this year has wiped out my checking account. Never the less I have also sent $25 for the Philly Rally. Right now I less than $300 in the bank to get me through till Sept 5th (next payday). For folks who know what the cost of living in is the Maryland suburbs of DC you know I am effectively broke. I will be living out of my change jar soon.

But I have also worked as a volunteer at campaign HQ in Arlington. I helped staff the GOP booth at the Montgomery County Fair a few weeks ago. I headed up to help at the Maryland State Far GOP Straw Poll in a few minutes. (There goes another tank of gas.)

I always wear my Ron Paul button and I keep a bunch of slim-jims in my pocket. I am actively talking up Ron Paul with my coworkers (so far three have shown an interest, but none have committed.)

I am talking him up with my friends and family--about 5 or 6 success stories there.

I have collected a list of people in my neighborhood from http://www.googlerace.com/neighbors.php and will start knocking on doors in the next few days, not just with them, but also door-to-door on my block and the surrounding area.

There is a bumper sticker or sign visible on my car from all four directions.

I am doing everything I can think of.

I am not boasting. I hope some might see this and realize there is something they didn't think of.

I'm also hoping others will post on this thread in case there is something I didn't think of.

Alien11
08-25-2007, 08:51 AM
Are you in the military or a civilian?
Have you started, or joined a meetup group?
I'm curious as to what you can, or do, do in Japan (or any other foreign country for that matter).

Well I am a civilian currently teaching English in a city in Hokkaido. There are not many foreigners here that are American. Mostly Australian or British, so starting a meetup group here is rather impossible. However, I have talked a lot about Ron Paul to all the Americans I do know, (which is about 3), about Ron Paul. If I end up getting transferred to Sapporo then maybe I can start a group. I have a friend down there I have indoctrinated with the Ron Paul message. I am going to see if I can get her to start a meetup group down there about the good doctor or at the very least get his name out to possible absentee voters. My resources are limited and I am playing to a limited audience, I hope you can understand.

jd603
08-25-2007, 08:55 AM
I'M ACTIVE!! :D Not as much as I should be but my day to day life has been taking up a lot of my time lately... very busy time for me.

Omnis
08-25-2007, 08:55 AM
There ARE other things you can do.
Do you live near any shopping centers? Malls? Grocery stores? You get the idea.
distribute slimjims or tri-folds at these places. You can simply place them on windshields, or you can take a more pro-active approach and talk to people as they are coming and going and hand them the literature.
If you live in the boonies (like me), you can canvass your town door to door and talk to people.
Any ideas there you think you can do?

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. I live next to a shopping center and down the street is the big Broward mall.

I think I could distribute slimjims onto windsheilds in the parking lot or something.

skiingff
08-25-2007, 09:08 AM
It kills me that *MOST* of what I can contribute is monetary, online, and by talking to people at work and family. I don't have a lot of time to do MUCH other stuff such as attending meetings, Meetups, passing out literature, participating in rallies, etc. I work 16 hours per day performing security work, 0700-1500 and 1600-0000. That means I wake up at 5:30am, go to my first job, get off at 3pm, go to my second job, get off there at midnight and fall asleep around 1am-1:30am which leaves me with only 4-4 1/2 hours of free time which I use to sleep. Then I'm currently drilling in the Army Guard so even if I'm off work one weekend, that's my weekend for Guard duty. The little time I *do* get off I need to take care of personal tasks (bills, bank statements, oil changes, haircuts, eating, catch up on sleep, etc). My jobs are a little bit flexible a lot of the time and fortunately I sit at a desk at one and have access to a computer at the other, so I do what I can for Ron Paul. I'm s'posed to be finishing up my last year of college online.

So my solution is, I'm going to try to change over to part-time at my second job so I can volunteer at Ron Paul headquarters (right next to me), finish school more productively and attend more Meetups. This all depends if the current part-time person here will switch with me. I hope so!

Sematary
08-25-2007, 09:11 AM
Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. I live next to a shopping center and down the street is the big Broward mall.

I think I could distribute slimjims onto windsheilds in the parking lot or something.

No think - DO! :)

richard1984
08-25-2007, 09:14 AM
I want (or I hope) my backpack sign idea to catch on. My friend last night said I would be like those Christians that walk around campus carrying a cross, and I said "Cool!" I hope I am half as passionate as they are!

constituent
08-25-2007, 09:43 AM
the passion of the paul.