PDA

View Full Version : Senator Alexandar wants OUR OPINION on gas prices! Lets give it to him

Matt Collins
06-06-2008, 08:52 PM
Senator Lamar Alexander (R-TN) wants suggestions about gas prices. He sent out an e-mail to his constituents tonight looking for ideas. He has even set up a special e-mail address to receive e-mails.

Let him know what you think:
gasprices@alexander.senate.gov

Here are parts of his e-mail:
"All of us know that Tennessee families are being hit hard by sky-high gasoline and diesel prices.

That’s why I fought to prevent a 53-cent gas tax hike that had been included in climate change legislation being debated in the U.S. Senate. It is why I support legislation to explore now for more American oil and natural gas in a way that preserves the environment for future generations. And it is why I proposed a new Manhattan Project that will put us on a path towards clean energy independence.

This year alone, the average American family will spend more than $200 a month on gasoline. That’s about $50 more each month than last year, and for all the driving we do in Tennessee, everyone is feeling the pinch.

Congress should not be sitting on the sidelines while Tennesseans are paying the price at the pump, and I hope together we can spur some real action on this issue."

Matt Collins
06-06-2008, 08:52 PM
Senator Alexander,

Thank you for taking the time to ask about the issue of gas prices. I would like
to share a few brief points with you. I am a 26-year-old college educated voter
in the Nashville area.

First off, in response to your Manhattan Project style proposal about energy
independence, I would appreciate it if you would be able to cite me where in the
Constitution that the federal government is authorized to pursue an energy
policy? According to the 10th Amendment anything not spelled out in the
Constitution is the responsibility of the States. If you could explain to me how
a project like this would be Constitutional I would be open to your argument.

However if you would like to truly lower fuel prices please work to achieve the
following:

-Remove all federal regulation on the refining, transportation, manufacturing,
pumping, exploration, and drilling of petroleum. The Constitution does not
authorize the federal government to regulate these issues anyway.

-Remove all federal taxes on refining, transportation, manufacturing, pumping,
exploration, and drilling of petroleum. This will allow for the total costs to
come down.

These two points will remove multitudes of federal restrictions which will allow
new refineries to be built and will also allow drilling in ANWR to increase the
supply of crude.

I would like to suggest as well that you should be working to end the occupation
of Iraq, allow for an opt-out of Social Security, eliminate the federal income
tax, and reduce the printing of money to ease inflation. A strict adherence to
the Constitution and limited federal government can allow our economy to
flourish.

And finally I would like to point you to a book by Dr. Jerome Corsi of Harvard
which discusses Peak Oil Theory and dispels many myths around the concept of
“fossil fuels”. It is an excellent read and any legislator and policy make
should have it under their hat.

Blackgold Stranglehold – Myth of Scarcity
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Gold-Stranglehold-Jerome-Corsi/dp/1581824890/ref=pd_
bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212804371&sr=8-2 (http://www.amazon.com/Black-Gold-Stranglehold-Jerome-Corsi/dp/1581824890/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212804371&sr=8-2)

Thank you for your time and consideration.
I look forward to your response,

Matt Collins
Nashville, TN

Verad
06-06-2008, 11:15 PM
Isn't oil at a multiple decade low vs gold? Tell him we need to go back to the gold standard, or close the floodgates to new money and thus inflation, for a start.

Matt Collins
06-06-2008, 11:25 PM
Isn't oil at a multiple decade low vs gold? Tell him we need to go back to the gold standard, or close the floodgates to new money and thus inflation, for a start.Feel free to e-mail him on this issue.

That was the point of posting this here so that he could hear from a LOT of RP people.