PDA

View Full Version : My Complaint to BBC News

Brasil Branco
08-25-2007, 07:00 AM
I wrote to the paper I usually read... I think we should all do the same- it's getting depressing.

Dear sir,

This will be my second complaint concerning how the BBC is handling the US Elections. I want to emphasize that no attention has paid to Ron Paul- the three mentions he does recieve in seven months of coverage is a disgrace to the media handling of the US Elections.

Ron Paul recieves zero mention in Brazil, less on BBC, and allready faces a biased coverage in the United States. In an interview with George Stephanopoulos of ABC- he told the candidate to his face "[You can't win]". When the candidate does make gains (such as FIVE recent straw poll victories, they simply ignore it).

I am complaining, because I was using the BBC as my sole source of news concerning the elections and because of this- DID NOT KNOW RON PAUL EXISTED AS A CANDIDATE. From personal experience, I can blatantly say- you are helping to skew the results of these elections. Because of Ron Paul's enormous following on the internet and string of straw polls victories, I believe he deserves some coverage.

Have some journalistic credibility and ask the question- why is Ron Paul so popular on the internet? He leads in virtually every form of online medium (Digg, YouTube, Facebook, MySpace, Meetup, Eventful, and more) Why is it, that there is such a high conversion rate when people hear about him? Why is it- that he is attracting Republicans, Democrats, and Independents? Why are there Ron Paul signs and events sprouting up like mushrooms across the United States?

The internet helps to provide "perfect information". The cards can be laid down on the table, and I contest- that for this reason, Ron Paul appears as one of the most attractive candidates. It's a medium in which individuals can freely research candidates and not rely on media soundbites. Which other candidate can openly discuss Economics the way he does? What other candidate can say that they debated with Milton Friedman? He is a citizen first, an economist second, and a politician third.

Here is my proposition. Write an article about Ron Paul and his views, and explain them in a neutral tone. Don't give vague statements such as he wants to abolish "public schools"- he wants to abolish federal involvment and allow more power to the states- which is sensible because no government can possibly be able to micromanage 300 million people as whole. That's just one example.

In addition, have a "You Say" segment concerning him- allow some discussion. I think you will be suprised at the amount of attention and feedback your article recieves.

I have been using BBC News Online for the past five years- my family uses it, my friends use it. Please, give some coverage to this candidate.

Thank you in advance- dedicated reader,

Nefertiti
08-25-2007, 07:20 AM
I don't like this letter at all and if I were at the BBC I would trash it and ignore it.

How can you say this?:

"I can blatantly say- you are helping to skew the results of these elections."

Excuse me, but the BBC is a BRITISH news organization. Do you really think that even if they wanted to do so that they could skew the results of an American election? Do you know how few Americans get their news from the BBC?

And what about you? You are a Brazilian, not an American. Why is it your business trying to skew the American elections either?

And this line:

"
Here is my proposition. Write an article about Ron Paul and his views, and explain them in a neutral tone."

This is insulting to a journalist. You are telling them how to do the basics of their job.

Honestly, while I am happy to see the support for Ron Paul from other countries and I am well aware how US policies effect other countries, this is why I do not really like non-citizens and non-permanent residents getting involved in the campaign. They will do more harm than good. And in the end, this is an American election, not a UN election. If as a non-American you admire Ron Paul for his policies of non-interventionism, please respect that policy and do not try and intervene in our elections either.

Brasil Branco
08-25-2007, 07:26 AM
And what about you? You are a Brazilian, not an American. Why is it your business trying to skew the American elections either?

The US is the most powerful nation in the world (Until China gets into gear)- when the United States votes the world watches. The effect the recent administration has had on the world demonstrates this- to assume you are electing your own leader and policies is childish. Ron Paul's policies on free trade is very attractive to the rest of the world who have been on the recieving end of tarriffs and American subsidies.

And for your information, I have lived in Maryland for 8 years- if I wanted to become an American citizen, I could and have even considered it. So don't assume you know what my intentions are. I know quite a bit about the view of he US abroad and have become very disheartened by it. I have many good American friends- I have my roots there.

This is insulting to a journalist. You are telling them how to do the basics of their job.

Look what coverage they have done until now. Compare the coverage they have done to other candidates and then come back to me with this statment. Because of BBC's coverage, I did not know a candidate such as Ron Paul existed- that is my personal view from my own experiences and I have a right to tell them that.

0zzy
08-25-2007, 07:30 AM
Let's not get feisty now.

Brasil Branco
08-25-2007, 07:34 AM
I guess I understand why so many people have been disheartened by these forums. When someone attacks them for trying to help- it's the same as being slapped in the face.

0zzy
08-25-2007, 07:38 AM
I guess I understand why so many people have been disheartened by these forums. When someone attacks them for trying to help- it's the same as being slapped in the face.

I <3 You! You're video made me smile :)~~!!

Nefertiti
08-25-2007, 07:52 AM
The US is the most powerful nation in the world (Until China gets into gear)- when the United States votes the world watches. The effect the recent administration has had on the world demonstrates this- to assume you are electing your own leader and policies is childish. Ron Paul's policies on free trade is very attractive to the rest of the world who have been on the recieving end of tarriffs and American subsidies.

As I wrote above and you conveniently ignored, I understand that the US has an effect on other countries. However, Ron Paul and many of us American Ron Paul supporters believe in his policy of non-intervention. That means we don't interfere in your elections, even if interfering were for our benefit as Americans. But if we respect your elections, we would appreciate it if you gave us the same respect. It's a two way street.

And by the way, the issue of tarriffs is one that I disagree with Ron Paul on. I wish he were more like Pat Buchanan on that matter-if other countries put tarriffs on our goods-we should do the same-like with Japan and their auto industry.

And for your information, I have lived in Maryland for 8 years- if I wanted to become an American citizen, I could and have even considered it. So don't assume you know what my intentions are..

This has nothing to do with intentions. Are you a permanent resident of the US? If not, whether you lived in the US 8 years or not is irrelevant-you cannot participate in a federal election campaign. It's illegal under US law.

Don't take it personally. This is not an attack on you. I'm more disturbed by Americans in these forums encouraging non-citizens and non-permanent residents to get involved in the campaign by sending money and things like that than I am in the foreigners themselves being in support of Ron Paul. Are we so desperate to get Ron Paul elected that we have to resort to tactics that are illegal and are a reverse violation of Ron Paul's policies of non-intervention?

Brasil Branco
08-25-2007, 07:55 AM
As I wrote above and you conveniently ignored, I understand that the US has an effect on other countries. However, Ron Paul and many of us American Ron Paul supporters believe in his policy of non-intervention. That means we don't interfere in your elections, even if interfering were for our benefit as Americans. But if we respect your elections, we would appreciate it if you gave us the same respect. It's a two way street.

If I were a weaker person- I would just quit right now and not give a damn. Sorry, but I'm going to help you by giving my support wether you want it or not, wether it's illegal or not- I don't care if your opinion is that it will hurt the campaign.

So you might as well give up now because I'm not going to debate you on it- you are not going to change my mind.

princessredtights
08-25-2007, 08:21 AM
I think it's a well thought out letter - I think something like that should be sent to the US media as well -

MicroBalrog
08-25-2007, 08:57 AM
First of all, Branco is right - there are a lo of people in the US who get their news from the Beeb. The BBC even has a US channel, whose name I cannot remember.

Second, Branco, the BBC has always had problems with bias.

When the A-Salt Weapons Ban got repealed, they made footage of people with underbarreled grenade launchers running about in the woods and claimed that sort of thing would become legal.

That's how they roll.