PDA

View Full Version : Delegates to the GOP convention...

foofighter20x
08-25-2007, 06:03 AM
... by state. Numbers are total delegates (3 per congressional district plus state-wide at-large delegates in parenthesis)--i.e. AL - 46 (25) means that Alabama has 46 total delegate, of which 25 are elected state-wide.

Nationally, it's 2405 delegates total. We need a majority of 1203 to win the nomination.

Strategize accordingly. Ok, go! :D

AL - 46 (25) | AK - 27 (24) | AZ - 51 (27) | AR - 34 (22) | CA - 171 (12) | CO - 44 (23) | CT - 28 (13) | DE - 16 (13) | FL - 112 (37) | GA - 70 (31)
HI - 18 (12) | ID - 30 (24) | IL - 68 (11) | IN - 55 (28) | IA - 38 (23) | KS - 37 (25) | KY* - 43 (25) | LA* - 44 (23) | ME - 19 (13) | MD - 35 (11)
MA - 41 (11) | MI - 59 (14) | MN - 39 (15) | MS* - 36 (24) | MO - 55 (28) | MT - 22 (19) | NE - 31 (22) | NV - 32 (23) | NH - 22 (16) | NJ* - 31 (27)
NM - 30 (21) | NY - 99 (12) | NC - 67 (28) | ND - 24 (21) | OH - 86 (32) | OK - 39 (24) | OR - 28 (13) | PA - 72 (15) | RI - 18 (12) | SC - 45 (27)
SD - 25 (22) | TN - 53 (26) | TX - 148 (42) | UT - 34 (25) | VT - 15 (12) | VA - 61 (28) | WA - 38 (11) | WV - 28 (19) | WI - 38 (14) | WY - 26 (23)

DC 19 (19) and federal territories 49 (49).

*KY, LA, MS, and NJ all have gubernatorial elections this year. If the GOP candidate wins that election in that state, it will pick up one extra at-large delegate.

My $0.42 on this: We should focus most on the district delegates. The more districts we win, the more likely we will pick up the state. Not to mention that there are only 1042 at-large delegates, which is less than half. Also, it would be best to focus on the states with the largest numbers of district delegates percentage wise (for example, 90% district 10% at large is very attractive). Why? These will be the more liberal states that are anti-Bush, anti-war, anti-Patriot Act, anti-MCA.

What are your thoughts?

fj45lvr
08-25-2007, 06:47 AM
what is the diffence in the delegates from a state for example Alabama: 46(25)?? explain this in more detail how they are chosen. for either group listed there.

thanks

foofighter20x
08-25-2007, 06:54 AM
The Numbers

AL - 46 (25) means:

Alabama has a total of 46 delegates to the national convention.
Of those, 25 are at-large (state-wide) delegates.
The remaining 21 are congressional district delegates; 3 delegates for each of the 7 congressional districts.

Elections for the delegates in the primaries/caucuses vary from state to state, so you should look up how they work specifically. Get in touch with your local GOP to find out.

Genereally, though, who ever wins the district gets the 3 delegates for that district. Whoever wins the state gets the at-large delegates.

Those delegates go to the national nominating convention and vote. They are only bound to vote for the primary/caucus winner on the first ballot. After that, they can vote for whoever they want. This is why we need to get involved and active in the party. That way we can get RP supporters as delegates who won't change their vote after the first ballot.

constituent
08-25-2007, 06:56 AM
good work foo. i agree w/ you about focusing on districts as well.

0zzy
08-25-2007, 07:05 AM
I was just thinking this last night! I was like "There are only a thousand-something voting at the national convention? How hard could it be to convert them all!"

constituent
08-25-2007, 07:22 AM
ozzy said "to convert them all"

how about "to be them all"

0zzy
08-25-2007, 07:30 AM
ozzy said "to convert them all"

how about "to be them all"

That's what I meant, plus convert. :) I Dono how to be one, I don't even know if I can vote on primary elections cause I'd be a month shy when the primary comes around of being 18.

foofighter20x
08-25-2007, 07:33 AM
That's what I meant, plus convert. :) I Dono how to be one, I don't even know if I can vote on primary elections cause I'd be a month shy when the primary comes around of being 18.

I doubt you'll be able to vote in your primary. Even on primary ballots, there are other elections that are general elections for your local area (county tax increases, vacant city council seats, etc.)

Check with your local elections office.

Cowlesy
08-25-2007, 08:25 AM
Each meetup group should get one or a group of people to download their state election law and start reading!

Everyone should determine the cut-off date for changing party enrollment so that they can vote in their Republican Primary (New York State cutoff is October 12, 2007).

In New York the State Party Committee elects the At-Large delegates. Congressional Delegates need 1,250 signatures of Party members in their district to become a Delegate.

It's winner-take-all here as far as I can tell. The Presidential candidate who receives the largest number of votes Statewide is allocated his slate of delegates.

There are 3 ways to get a Presidential candidate on the NY ballot. 1) If the candidate receives $10 million in contributions and elects to accept federal matching funds (doubt RP is going to start taking money from the gov't now :) ) 2) If the State Board of Elections determines the person is nationally known and recognized candidate and is generally and seriously advocated or recognized according to reports in the national or state media (no WAY should we rely on this one) 3) Petition with 5,000 signatures statewide of registered party members.

---- I just wrote those to demonstrate that every group has a lot of stuff they need to start digging into. Those items are really just scratching the surface. I'm not a lawyer, but I can still read and so can all of you! Grab your state's election law (typically available online) and start developing an action plan to make sure we can get RP comfortably on the ballot with a full slate of delegates!

foofighter20x
08-25-2007, 08:42 AM
Everyone should determine the cut-off date for changing party enrollment so that they can vote in their Republican Primary (New York State cutoff is October 12, 2007).

This primary cutoff is for the 2007 NY general election, not the 2008 primaries or general election.

Again, that cutoff is for 2007 election only, not for the ones we are working on in 2008!

Edit: NY Federal Primary is on Super Tuesday, 05 Feb 2008.

Cowlesy
08-25-2007, 09:06 AM
This primary cutoff is for the 2007 NY general election, not the 2008 primaries or general election.

Again, that cutoff is for 2007 election only, not for the ones we are working on in 2008!

Edit: NY Federal Primary is on Super Tuesday, 05 Feb 2008.

Foofighter - Unfortunately that is not correct. The cutoff for the 2007 State Primary was yesterday, August 24, 2007. The cutoff for the 2008 Federal Primary as you correctly note as February 5, 2008 is October 12, 2007. I should actually clarify here. If you wish to SWITCH party enrollments, the cutoff is October 12, 2007. If you are NEWLY enrolling to vote in NY, the cutoff is 25 days before the Federal Primary, so probably early January. Please see below an email I received from a State Board of Elections Official.

Dear Sir,

The last day to change your enrollment for the Presidential Primary is October 12, 2007.
If you need a registration application, please let me know and I will send it to you

Thank you and have a good day!

Beth Fossella
Coordinator Voter Registration

foofighter20x
08-25-2007, 09:23 AM
Ah... Ok then. Better to go with the earlier date anyway. :)

Lord Xar
09-03-2007, 06:26 PM
(perhaps we can get a sticky on this)

This important message has been forwarded around and we should continue
to share it with everyone supporting Ron Paul:

To all Meetups & All persons,

Please forward this to all North Carolina meetups and anyone else you
know is supporting Ron Paul. I only want to type this once, and this is the
MOST IMPORTANT piece of information you need to know about getting Ron Paul
the Republican nomination.

Do you know that it is possible for Ron Paul to win the majority of
primaries and caucuses and still not get the nomination? Don't believe
it?
Well, it's true. Very true, and this is what most people don't know.
Most Republicans don't even know this. Do you really think the establishment

wants Ron Paul as the Republican nominee even if a majority of
Republican voters says so? Of course not! THEY KNOW HOW THE SYSTEM WORKS, the average voter doesn't. This is how it works:

The nominee is actually voted on at the National Convention by
delegates from every state plus territories. You would think that those delegates are voting based upon the way the state's primary or caucus voted, right?
Well, not exactly. Those delegates are supposed to be apportioned or
appointed based upon the vote, but that's really not the way it works. Being a
delegate to the National Convention is more a perk of being an active
party member, rather than being pledged to a candidate. Most delegates just
do as they are told and have fun at the convention. Some have an agenda and
will vote for their guy REGARDLESS of what the state says. This hasn't been
an issue since Barry Goldwater back in 1964. I have a bad feeling that it
will happen again in 2008. So here's what we have to do.

First, REGISTER AS A REPUBLICAN by October 31, 2007. You can do it by
mail, but if you really don't feel secure doing it that way, go to your
county courthouse and do it in person.

Second, GO TO YOUR PRECINCT MEETING AND VOLUNTEER FOR ANY POSITION AVAILABLE IN YOUR PRECINCT. The precinct meetings usually occur in early
February.
Your county's GOP website will contain the information. Or, better yet,
CALL your county's GOP HQ and say you are a Republican interested in getting

involved in the party. Do NOT mention Ron Paul when talking to your
county's party leadership.

Third, find other Ron Paul Republicans at your precinct meetings. I'd
suggest wearing RP clothing, stickers, etc. The goal is to have more of
us than them. You want to galvanize support behind a few people willing to
be delegates to State, District, and National. Get everyone's information
and create a slate of delegates to National to be submitted at your
congressional district's convention.

Fourth, if you attend your precinct meeting, you are usually
automatically a
delegate to the County and the Congressional District Conventions. 3
National delegates are voted on at the Congressional Conventions.
Again,
ifwe have more votes than the "establishment", WE GO TO MINNESOTA!

Fifth, attend BOTH CONVENTIONS and vote for the RON PAUL DELEGATES.

Sixth, VOTE RON PAUL IN THE PRIMARY!!!Seventh, if you are able to,
attend the State Convention. Most times, there aren't enough people at county
convention to fill a slate of delegates to the State Convention. That
means ALL county delegates can go to the State
Convention. If we dominate counties, WE WILL DOMINATE STATE, and we can
get the AT-LARGE delegates decided at the State Convention too. Now, if we
get lucky and get our delegates to Minnesota, this is what we HAVE to do,
vote for a proportioned slate. We get 69 delegates. If Fred Thompson gets
50%, he gets 35 votes, on the first ballot. If the nominee is not decided on
the first ballot, our delegates are free to vote for anyone.

This is the way it works in most states.You can see though, why it is
important not only to register and vote, but to get to the conventions
to send Ron Paul delegates to State and National.

Mister Grieves
09-03-2007, 06:30 PM
The information in this thread is invaluable and I will follow it to become a delegate and will pass the info onto my meetup group.

I second the motion for sticky.

Nice work.

FSP-Rebel
09-03-2007, 06:35 PM
The information in this thread is invaluable and I will follow it to become a delegate and will pass the info onto my meetup group.

I second the motion for sticky.

Nice work.
Here, here

pennycat
09-03-2007, 06:39 PM
I'll third this motion!

I'll also add that it is very easy for us to take over the party. In Florida for instance each county chairman, vice-chairman, etc must stand for re-election after the 08 election. Become a registered Executive committee person and you can vote a RP Republican in. If each county would do this (and in most counties this will take less than 100 RP supporters. Heck we have more in ours!

Electing RP president is only half of the battle. The other half is taking a wounded and dying party back to it's Constitutional roots.

For Our Glorious Ron Paul REVOLUTION!

Nick Egoroff
Orlando Ron Paul 2008 Organizer
www.ronpaul2008.com/
www.ronpaul.meetup.com/184
(407)381-2744

Check out our NEW LOCAL WEBSITE
www.orlandoronpaul.com

lynnf
09-03-2007, 06:53 PM

You may need to send a private message to a moderator or the owner to get this stickied.

lynn

Michael Ingram
09-03-2007, 06:55 PM
really important EVERYONE should do this

Question_Authority
09-03-2007, 08:26 PM
The Numbers

Those delegates go to the national nominating convention and vote. They are only bound to vote for the primary/caucus winner on the first ballot. After that, they can vote for whoever they want.

What do you mean "first ballot"? How many ballots are there?

foofighter20x
09-03-2007, 08:46 PM
What do you mean "first ballot"? How many ballots are there?

I'm talking the first nomination ballot at the convention. It has nothing to do with the actual state primary. There is only one state primary ballot.

The convention is another creature. It can have multiple ballots if no one wins the nomination on the first vote.

Convention delegates are typically only required to vote for their state's primary winning candidate on the first convention ballot. After that first ballot, if no candidate has the majority of delegate votes then they have to vote again. If that happens, it basically becomes a free-for-all, back room deals kind of thing. So, the more dedicated RP supporters we get there, the less delegates that might change their votes... you know?

FSP-Rebel
09-03-2007, 08:56 PM
We have a major meeting with good ole Saul Anuzis on Sunday regarding the delegate thing. We have over 100 RSVPs so this should be a great event (and our meetup is right afterwards= precinct lit drops with over 100!). Saul is gonna be one nervous SOB this weekend. He's on bad ground with us til he acts like a man and apologizes to our group of supporters.

jpa
09-03-2007, 09:54 PM
I made a spreadsheet from this info:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pATOCelt4ViKkcf4Fhd3rXA

I also am putting in estimates for states for possible win scenarios. The estimates are in blue. They are my total guesses at this point. Let me know if you have a better estimate of your state/region.

PM me with your email if you want edit permission to this spreadsheet.

For simplicity sake, I am doing estimates in % of district vote. This gives fractional delegates, which doesn't happen in real life. Suggestions welcome on a better way of modeling it.

Foo, the delegate total I got in the spreadsheet is 9 shy of 2405. Either I made a mistake, or the data is a bit short.

jpa
09-03-2007, 11:50 PM
It would be good if we got the dates of all the primaries and whether or not it is open primaries for each state.

foofighter20x
09-03-2007, 11:56 PM
Foo, the delegate total I got in the spreadsheet is 9 shy of 2405. Either I made a mistake, or the data is a bit short.

PM me an email and I'll send you the spreadsheet I used to spin up the numbers when I get home.

The formula for figuring out each state's delegate total is at gop.com in the party rules. I think it's rule 13.

ghemminger
09-04-2007, 09:10 AM
MOST IMPORTANT piece of information you need to know - to get Ron Paul elected

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I only want to type this once, and this is the MOST IMPORTANT piece of information you need to know about getting Ron Paul the Republican nomination.

Do you know that it is possible for Ron Paul to win the majority of primaries and caucuses and still not get the nomination? Don't believe it? Well, it's true. Very true, and this is what most people don't know. Most Republicans don't even know this. Do you really think the establishment wants Ron Paul as the Republican nominee even if a majority of Republican voters says so? Of course not! THEY KNOW HOW THE SYSTEM WORKS, the average voter doesn't. This is how it works:

The nominee is actually voted on at the National Convention by delegates from every state plus territories. You would think that those delegates are voting based upon the way the state's primary or caucus voted, right? Well, not exactly. Those delegates are supposed to be apportioned or appointed based upon the vote, but that's really not the way it works. Being a delegate to the National Convention is more a perk of being an active party member, rather than being pledged to a candidate. Most delegates just do as they are told and have fun at the convention. Some have an agenda and will vote for their guy REGARDLESS of what the state says. This hasn't been an issue since Barry Goldwater back in 1964. I have a bad feeling that it will happen again in 2008. So here's what we have to do.

First, REGISTER AS A REPUBLICAN by October 31, 2007. You can do it by mail, but if you really don't feel secure doing it that way, go to your county courthouse and do it in person.

Second, GO TO YOUR PRECINCT MEETING AND VOLUNTEER FOR ANY POSITION AVAILABLE IN YOUR PRECINCT. The precinct meetings usually occur in early February. Your county's GOP website will contain the information. Or, better yet, CALL your county's GOP HQ and say you are a Republican interested in getting involved in the party. Do NOT mention Ron Paul when talking to your county's party leadership.

Third, find other Ron Paul Republicans at your precinct meetings. I'd suggest wearing RP clothing, stickers, etc. The goal is to have more of us than them. You want to galvanize support behind a few people willing to be delegates to State, District, and National. Get everyone's information and create a slate of delegates to National to be submitted at your congressional district's convention.

Fourth, if you attend your precinct meeting, you are usually automatically a delegate to the County and the Congressional District Conventions. 3 National delegates are voted on at the Congressional Conventions. Again, ifwe have more votes than the "establishment", WE GO TO MINNESOTA!

Sixth, VOTE RON PAUL IN THE PRIMARY!!!Seventh, if you are able to, attend the State Convention. Most times, there aren't enough people at county convention to fill a slate of delegates to the State Convention. That means ALL county delegates can go to the State
Convention. If we dominate counties, WE WILL DOMINATE STATE, and we can get the AT-LARGE delegates decided at the State Convention too. Now, if we get lucky and get our delegates to Minnesota, this is what we HAVE to do, vote for a proportioned slate. We get 69 delegates. If Fred Thompson gets 50%, he gets 35 votes, on the first ballot. If the nominee is not decided on the first ballot, our delegates are free to vote for anyone.

This is the way it works in most states.You can see though, why it is important not only to register and vote, but to get to the conventions to send Ron Paul delegates to State and National. Any other questions, please contact knelsud92 at yahoo dot com.

sunny
09-04-2007, 12:24 PM
thanks Lord Xar and ghemminger!
we had our 3rd meetup last nite. our organizer (i'm the assistant organizer) has already served in the legislature a few years back as a libertarian.
he has been explaining to us the procedure (i'm still not clear on it) for getting dr. paul in the white house. your posts explain the procedure along with stuff we all need to know and probably would not have unless you had posted it.
i forwarded the seven steps to him and asked for feedback and he said that you were absolutely correct.
so, thanks for posting it.

i am sending this link to every meetup in my state of maine - there are 5 of them!

blessings,
sunny

Elwar
09-04-2007, 12:56 PM
Generally speaking, when do the delegates get chosen?

Is this before the primary, after...?

Michael Ingram
09-04-2007, 02:31 PM
EVERYONE has to do this!!!

Leo Klamath
09-04-2007, 09:23 PM
Hello, everyone.

The forces of evil at work on this forum have deleted my thread. I am reposting here in the hopes that this will reach more people.

I am speaking to you this evening with full knowledge that my life will very likely soon be forfeit. I've uncovered something huge. This thing - it's worldwide. I have proof now, though. I can't give you all of the proof, but I can arm you with some tools to find it for yourself. The tools are included in this post. Everything YOU need to save this world from these people, it's all in here. The truth is here. Please take all necessary steps, and hurry. Make sure this goes viral. It is unlikely that I will be alive tomorrow morning. Please do not let this information die with me. Do not let this all have been in vein. Godspeed - your friend, LEO.

Who | IP to pop3 | Login | Password

[Admin Edit]User banned for posting private login and passwords. See here: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08...ounts_exposed/ (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/31/embassy_email_accounts_exposed/)

jonahtrainer
09-04-2007, 10:11 PM
We have a major meeting with good ole Saul Anuzis on Sunday regarding the delegate thing. We have over 100 RSVPs so this should be a great event (and our meetup is right afterwards= precinct lit drops with over 100!). Saul is gonna be one nervous SOB this weekend. He's on bad ground with us til he acts like a man and apologizes to our group of supporters.

Ya'll need to vote this Anuzis out and put a Ron Paulian in his place. Do you know when the GOP elections are to replace him?

Our city has about 1.2M people and is heavily Republican. There were 250 present at the last REC meeting; including the mayor. We had about 70 at our last meetup. So, we will soon be taking over the leadership positions of the Republican party here in our city.

MicroBalrog
09-05-2007, 07:10 AM
Some have an agenda and will vote for their guy REGARDLESS of what the state says.

So if we have a majority of Delegates who are Paulites, we can win the nomination even if we don't win the primary vote itself?

Also, does one need a majority (as in, 50%+1 votes) to win, or just a plurality?

libertygrl
09-05-2007, 02:13 PM
It would be good if we got the dates of all the primaries and whether or not it is open primaries for each state.

I know just the place you're looking for. Pass it on to EVERYONE you know:

Go to this link: http://www.primarilypaul.com/ron-paul-in-the-primaries/

The Only Woj
09-05-2007, 11:01 PM
we need people to make that push to get on as delegates. that's more important than anything else at this point.

PongGod
09-06-2007, 02:13 PM
... by state. Numbers are total delegates (3 per congressional district plus state-wide at-large delegates in parenthesis)--i.e. AL - 46 (25) means that Alabama has 46 total delegate, of which 25 are elected state-wide.

Nationally, it's 2405 delegates total. We need a majority of 1203 to win the nomination.

Strategize accordingly. Ok, go! :D

AL - 46 (25) | AK - 27 (24) | AZ - 51 (27) | AR - 34 (22) | CA - 171 (12) | CO - 44 (23) | CT - 28 (13) | DE - 16 (13) | FL - 112 (37) | GA - 70 (31)
HI - 18 (12) | ID - 30 (24) | IL - 68 (11) | IN - 55 (28) | IA - 38 (23) | KS - 37 (25) | KY* - 43 (25) | LA* - 44 (23) | ME - 19 (13) | MD - 35 (11)
MA - 41 (11) | MI - 59 (14) | MN - 39 (15) | MS* - 36 (24) | MO - 55 (28) | MT - 22 (19) | NE - 31 (22) | NV - 32 (23) | NH - 22 (16) | NJ* - 31 (27)
NM - 30 (21) | NY - 99 (12) | NC - 67 (28) | ND - 24 (21) | OH - 86 (32) | OK - 39 (24) | OR - 28 (13) | PA - 72 (15) | RI - 18 (12) | SC - 45 (27)
SD - 25 (22) | TN - 53 (26) | TX - 148 (42) | UT - 34 (25) | VT - 15 (12) | VA - 61 (28) | WA - 38 (11) | WV - 28 (19) | WI - 38 (14) | WY - 26 (23)

DC 19 (19) and federal territories 49 (49).

*KY, LA, MS, and NJ all have gubernatorial elections this year. If the GOP candidate wins that election in that state, it will pick up one extra at-large delegate.

My $0.42 on this: We should focus most on the district delegates. The more districts we win, the more likely we will pick up the state. Not to mention that there are only 1042 at-large delegates, which is less than half. Also, it would be best to focus on the states with the largest numbers of district delegates percentage wise (for example, 90% district 10% at large is very attractive). Why? These will be the more liberal states that are anti-Bush, anti-war, anti-Patriot Act, anti-MCA.

What are your thoughts?

FWIW, there is already a nationally organized group whose mission is to build up a network of volunteers all the way down to the precinct level to focus specifically on getting the number of delegates in place for Ron Paul to win. It's called Ron Paul Friends USA: http://rlc.meetup.com/85/

I would encourage everyone on here to get on board and work toward this critical end!

- Robert -

ghemminger
09-08-2007, 11:54 PM
HQ request?- Please help ASAP!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Had this request at the CA GOP Conference -

Apparently the Mountain States - CO, UT, WY, MT etc - are very different that the other states regarding primaries and nomination of Republican candidates.

HQ needs names, #'s, adresses of RP supporters in these STATES - not Meetup members - to be Delegates!

PLEASE HELP ME HELP YOU HELP HQ!...

Thunderbolt
09-16-2007, 02:46 AM

Bradley in DC
09-16-2007, 08:55 AM
Much of this information is just plain wrong and shows an understanding contrary to election law.

Please, please, please, do NOT post and forward information on delegate selection without verifying the information first. It is important to remember that information for these processes is very state specific. The premises of this post are wrong and show no understanding of the rules. The election laws are clearly established and determine delegate selection. The campaign understands the rules and is acting accordingly.

In most states, the delegates are legally bound to vote for the person they we elected to represent (rules vary considerably as to how long they are "bound"). In North Carolina last time, they were bound for the first vote only. Think of the national nominating conventions as practice electoral colleges. The rules are not a democratic tyranny of the majority but follow the republican rule of law.

Follow the explanation on this thread here with links to state specific information:
http://ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=1708

Additionally, the RNC by-laws required states to finalize their dates and processes by earlier this month. As we learn all of the updated changes, I'm posting them under the respective state fora here:

http://ronpaulnetwork.info/forum/index.php

We don't need to support more conspiracy cranks who don't know what they're talking about.

This important message has been forwarded around and we should continue
to share it with everyone supporting Ron Paul:

To all Meetups & All persons,

Please forward this to all North Carolina meetups and anyone else you
know is supporting Ron Paul. I only want to type this once, and this is the
MOST IMPORTANT piece of information you need to know about getting Ron Paul
the Republican nomination.

Do you know that it is possible for Ron Paul to win the majority of
primaries and caucuses and still not get the nomination? Don't believe
it?
Well, it's true. Very true, and this is what most people don't know.
Most Republicans don't even know this. Do you really think the establishment

wants Ron Paul as the Republican nominee even if a majority of
Republican voters says so? Of course not! THEY KNOW HOW THE SYSTEM WORKS, the average voter doesn't. This is how it works:

The nominee is actually voted on at the National Convention by
delegates from every state plus territories. You would think that those delegates are voting based upon the way the state's primary or caucus voted, right?
Well, not exactly. Those delegates are supposed to be apportioned or
appointed based upon the vote, but that's really not the way it works. Being a
delegate to the National Convention is more a perk of being an active
party member, rather than being pledged to a candidate. Most delegates just
do as they are told and have fun at the convention. Some have an agenda and
will vote for their guy REGARDLESS of what the state says. This hasn't been
an issue since Barry Goldwater back in 1964. I have a bad feeling that it
will happen again in 2008. So here's what we have to do.

First, REGISTER AS A REPUBLICAN by October 31, 2007. You can do it by
mail, but if you really don't feel secure doing it that way, go to your
county courthouse and do it in person.

Second, GO TO YOUR PRECINCT MEETING AND VOLUNTEER FOR ANY POSITION AVAILABLE IN YOUR PRECINCT. The precinct meetings usually occur in early
February.
Your county's GOP website will contain the information. Or, better yet,
CALL your county's GOP HQ and say you are a Republican interested in getting

involved in the party. Do NOT mention Ron Paul when talking to your
county's party leadership.

Third, find other Ron Paul Republicans at your precinct meetings. I'd
suggest wearing RP clothing, stickers, etc. The goal is to have more of
us than them. You want to galvanize support behind a few people willing to
be delegates to State, District, and National. Get everyone's information
and create a slate of delegates to National to be submitted at your
congressional district's convention.

Fourth, if you attend your precinct meeting, you are usually
automatically a
delegate to the County and the Congressional District Conventions. 3
National delegates are voted on at the Congressional Conventions.
Again,
ifwe have more votes than the "establishment", WE GO TO MINNESOTA!

Sixth, VOTE RON PAUL IN THE PRIMARY!!!Seventh, if you are able to,
attend the State Convention. Most times, there aren't enough people at county
convention to fill a slate of delegates to the State Convention. That
means ALL county delegates can go to the State
Convention. If we dominate counties, WE WILL DOMINATE STATE, and we can
get the AT-LARGE delegates decided at the State Convention too. Now, if we
get lucky and get our delegates to Minnesota, this is what we HAVE to do,
vote for a proportioned slate. We get 69 delegates. If Fred Thompson gets
50%, he gets 35 votes, on the first ballot. If the nominee is not decided on
the first ballot, our delegates are free to vote for anyone.

This is the way it works in most states.You can see though, why it is
important not only to register and vote, but to get to the conventions
to send Ron Paul delegates to State and National.

Bradley in DC
09-16-2007, 09:00 AM
Again, delegate selection rules are entirely state specific. Most states do not even have conventions. Please do not indiscriminately post and forward crazy shit. Please, please, please check with your state Secretary of State or local board of election to find the correct rules FOR YOUR OWN STATE. Please ignore and try to stop these conspiratorial messages. Thank you.

MOST IMPORTANT piece of information you need to know - to get Ron Paul elected

I only want to type this once, and this is the MOST IMPORTANT piece of information you need to know about getting Ron Paul the Republican nomination.

Do you know that it is possible for Ron Paul to win the majority of primaries and caucuses and still not get the nomination? Don't believe it? Well, it's true. Very true, and this is what most people don't know. Most Republicans don't even know this. Do you really think the establishment wants Ron Paul as the Republican nominee even if a majority of Republican voters says so? Of course not! THEY KNOW HOW THE SYSTEM WORKS, the average voter doesn't. This is how it works:

The nominee is actually voted on at the National Convention by delegates from every state plus territories. You would think that those delegates are voting based upon the way the state's primary or caucus voted, right? Well, not exactly. Those delegates are supposed to be apportioned or appointed based upon the vote, but that's really not the way it works. Being a delegate to the National Convention is more a perk of being an active party member, rather than being pledged to a candidate. Most delegates just do as they are told and have fun at the convention. Some have an agenda and will vote for their guy REGARDLESS of what the state says. This hasn't been an issue since Barry Goldwater back in 1964. I have a bad feeling that it will happen again in 2008. So here's what we have to do.

First, REGISTER AS A REPUBLICAN by October 31, 2007. You can do it by mail, but if you really don't feel secure doing it that way, go to your county courthouse and do it in person.

Second, GO TO YOUR PRECINCT MEETING AND VOLUNTEER FOR ANY POSITION AVAILABLE IN YOUR PRECINCT. The precinct meetings usually occur in early February. Your county's GOP website will contain the information. Or, better yet, CALL your county's GOP HQ and say you are a Republican interested in getting involved in the party. Do NOT mention Ron Paul when talking to your county's party leadership.

Third, find other Ron Paul Republicans at your precinct meetings. I'd suggest wearing RP clothing, stickers, etc. The goal is to have more of us than them. You want to galvanize support behind a few people willing to be delegates to State, District, and National. Get everyone's information and create a slate of delegates to National to be submitted at your congressional district's convention.

Fourth, if you attend your precinct meeting, you are usually automatically a delegate to the County and the Congressional District Conventions. 3 National delegates are voted on at the Congressional Conventions. Again, ifwe have more votes than the "establishment", WE GO TO MINNESOTA!

Sixth, VOTE RON PAUL IN THE PRIMARY!!!Seventh, if you are able to, attend the State Convention. Most times, there aren't enough people at county convention to fill a slate of delegates to the State Convention. That means ALL county delegates can go to the State
Convention. If we dominate counties, WE WILL DOMINATE STATE, and we can get the AT-LARGE delegates decided at the State Convention too. Now, if we get lucky and get our delegates to Minnesota, this is what we HAVE to do, vote for a proportioned slate. We get 69 delegates. If Fred Thompson gets 50%, he gets 35 votes, on the first ballot. If the nominee is not decided on the first ballot, our delegates are free to vote for anyone.

This is the way it works in most states.You can see though, why it is important not only to register and vote, but to get to the conventions to send Ron Paul delegates to State and National. Any other questions, please contact knelsud92 at yahoo dot com.

Cowlesy
09-16-2007, 09:38 AM
Again, delegate selection rules are entirely state specific. Most states do not even have conventions. Please do not indiscriminately post and forward crazy shit. Please, please, please check with your state Secretary of State or local board of election to find the correct rules FOR YOUR OWN STATE. Please ignore and try to stop these conspiratorial messages. Thank you.

Amen Bradley.

If folks are looking for information, contact a local meetup group who may have a member already appointed to do research on the state-specific information.

To find a local Meetup group, go to www.meetup.com and search by zip code. Contact the Meetup Organizer.

If anyone needs New York State specific information, several folks across the state have obtained all the documentation. PM me if you are interested in NYS Info.