PDA

View Full Version : Water crisis to be biggest world risk

speech
06-06-2008, 05:14 AM
A catastrophic water shortage could prove an even bigger threat to mankind this century than soaring food prices and the relentless exhaustion of energy reserves, according to a panel of global experts at the Goldman Sachs “Top Five Risks” conference.

Nicholas (Lord) Stern, author of the Government’s Stern Review on the economics of climate change, warned that underground aquifers could run dry at the same time as melting glaciers play havoc with fresh supplies of usable water.

“The glaciers on the Himalayas are retreating, and they are the sponge that holds the water back in the rainy season. We’re facing the risk of extreme run-off, with water running straight into the Bay of Bengal and taking a lot of topsoil with it,” he said.

“A few hundred square miles of the Himalayas are the source for all the major rivers of Asia - the Ganges, the Yellow River, the Yangtze - where 3bn people live. That’s almost half the world’s population,” he said.
# California faces water rationing due to drought
# Will climate change destroy us this century? I doubt it
# More of Ambrose Evans-Pritchard

Lord Stern, the World Bank’s former chief economist, said governments had been slow to accept the awful truth that usable water is running out. Fresh rainfall is not enough to refill the underground water tables.

“Water is not a renewable resource. People have been mining it without restraint because it has not been priced properly,” he said.
Farming makes up 70pc of global water demand. Fresh water for irrigation is never returned to underground basins. Most is lost through leaks and evaporation.
http://waronyou.com/2008/06/water-crisis-to-be-biggest-world-risk/

Truth Warrior
06-06-2008, 06:53 AM
The whole frickin universe is energy and WE have an energy "crisis".

Three fifths of the planet is covered with water and WE have a water "crisis".

**** sapiens is just getting pretty damned silly and pathetic! :p

pcosmar
06-06-2008, 07:10 AM
Lord Stern, the World Bank’s former chief economist, said governments had been slow to accept the awful truth that usable water is running out. Fresh rainfall is not enough to refill the underground water tables.

“Water is not a renewable resource. People have been mining it without restraint because it has not been priced properly,” he said.
Farming makes up 70pc of global water demand. Fresh water for irrigation is never returned to underground basins. Most is lost through leaks and evaporation.
http://waronyou.com/2008/06/water-crisis-to-be-biggest-world-risk/

What, does he think that the water cycle has been stopped?
It is basic natural science. I learned about it long ago.
To they still teach science in school?

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/education/images/water_cycle.jpg

You don't just lose water. It is recycled daily.

pcosmar
06-06-2008, 07:21 AM
Perhaps he is speaking of the Biblical prophecies of the Book of Revelation.

Rev 8:10 And the third angel sounded, and there fell a great star from heaven, burning as it were a lamp, and it fell upon the third part of the rivers, and upon the fountains of waters; Rev 8:11 And the name of the star is called Wormwood: and the third part of the waters became wormwood; and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter.

If so, I would say,NOT YET.
I have not seen or heard of any "burning star" striking the earth.
You would think even the MSN would cover a story like that.

Allen72289
06-06-2008, 07:29 AM
What, does he think that the water cycle has been stopped?
It is basic natural science. I learned about it long ago.
To they still teach science in school?

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/education/images/water_cycle.jpg

You don't just lose water. It is recycled daily.

+1776.

Same thing with "deadly" co2. It's recycled.

We have plenty of water and several ways to purify it.

speech
06-06-2008, 02:05 PM
A lot of water goes to producing food. Like Bio-fuel, the salt run off mixed with chemicals makes it useless. Unless you have some kind of crazy filter. The Great Lakes are drying up and no one knows why. As it becomes scarcer look for the privatazation of water. Then well have epensive, polluted water like India.

pcosmar
06-06-2008, 02:26 PM
A lot of water goes to producing food. Like Bio-fuel, the salt run off mixed with chemicals makes it useless. Unless you have some kind of crazy filter. The Great Lakes are drying up and no one knows why. As it becomes scarcer look for the privatazation of water. Then well have epensive, polluted water like India.

Bullshit.
You are buying into the Agenda 21 Lies.
Two years ago the Global Warming hype said the Oceans were going to rise and drown us all.
Lake levels go up and down. They are going up presently.

Quit listening to the Chicken littles.
The sky is falling, the shy is falling, it hit me on the head.

werdd
06-07-2008, 07:22 PM
Bullshit.
You are buying into the Agenda 21 Lies.
Two years ago the Global Warming hype said the Oceans were going to rise and drown us all.
Lake levels go up and down. They are going up presently.

Quit listening to the Chicken littles.
The sky is falling, the shy is falling, it hit me on the head.

+++

electronicmaji
06-07-2008, 07:24 PM
The only danger is that there isn't enought water for everyone; but that problem tends to um...fix itself if you know what I mean.

Kludge
06-07-2008, 07:25 PM
Yeh know, we've been fine for *6,000 **years. Whoever created this damned place did a good job.

Kludge
06-07-2008, 07:26 PM
The only danger is that there isn't enought water for everyone; but that problem tends to um...fix itself if you know what I mean.

Not if the authoritarians save us with rations and redistribution!

If people have resources, they can hoard more then they need. Think of all the good we could do be killing off the rich and redistributing their property!

Change, bro!

WarDog
06-07-2008, 11:36 PM
Stop Globle WHINNING...:]