PDA

View Full Version : Really good song about political situation/morality today

Michael Ingram
06-05-2008, 06:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuK2A1ZqoWs&feature=related

About the song:
"The song is about the idea that we have so much incredible potential as human beings to be destructive or to be creative. And it's tragic to me that the appetite for military innovation is endless, but when it comes to taking on a project like ending world hunger, it's seen as outlandish. It's not treated with the same seriousness," Flobots MC Jonny 5 (a.k.a. Jamie Laurie) said.[1]

The lead singer has also explained that one of the themes of the song was inspired by:

"The lyrics came to me as I was riding a bike home from work with my hands in the air — I had just learned how to do it — and I felt triumphant, but at the same time, I knew there were people at that moment who were being bombed by our own country. And I thought that was incredibly powerful. We have these little moments of creativity, these bursts of innovation, and every time that happens, that innovation is used to oppress and destroy people. So it struck me as beautiful and tragic at the same time."[1]

About the video
The video for the song starts out lighthearted, showing two people riding their bikes without holding on to the handlebars. They both arrive at a sign that points in two directions, one labeled with a corporate-like symbol, and the other labeled by a dove. They hug and head their separate ways. The person who took the direction labeled with a dove arrives in a peaceful, serene city, while the other person arrives in a large businesslike city. The business person goes on to become a tyrannic leader of the city, and aims to take over the peaceful city. The citizens of the peaceful city then form a rebellion against their new leader, headed by the peaceful person from earlier. Just after the rebels start a riot and fight against the leader's guards, the leader sees his former friend just before his friend is killed, and realizes that he has done wrong, as evidenced by his facial expression. The video ends the same way it began, with the two people riding their bikes without holding on to the handlebars.

It seems like they're liberal though. :(