PDA

View Full Version : There is a point where certain actions become meaningless

Sematary
08-25-2007, 12:58 AM
For instance, this grassroots organization began as an internet phenomenon with people slamming the polls, emailing people/groups/companies that ignored RP and much more - and we made ourselves known.
We have outgrown that now. We are bigger than that. We have, in my estimation, reached saturation point on all the social networking sites and are really not having a significant impact in that area. There is, however, a World Wide Web out there that has NEVER heard of Ron Paul. We should be working on banner advertising and google ads and a ton of other internet based advertising that could really get Ron Paul's name out there.
That's the internet...

What about the "real world"?
We have barely made a dent. I am doing what I can to get people to pledge to distribute literature at sporting/concert events, etc... but honestly, there haven't been alot of responses to that plea to get out on the streets and talk to people and THAT is where we NEED to be. We can do so much more on the internet but I can tell you from experience that people vote for people based on personal contact. If a candidate contacts you personally, you are more likely to vote for that person - period. It is a tried and true tradition in politicking and WE need to be doing more of it.

We also need to coordinate MORE advertising on tv/radio/print
WE can get RP elected but we have to have a plan.

Slugg
08-25-2007, 01:04 AM
For instance, this grassroots organization began as an internet phenomenon with people slamming the polls, emailing people/groups/companies that ignored RP and much more - and we made ourselves known.
We have outgrown that now. We are bigger than that. We have, in my estimation, reached saturation point on all the social networking sites and are really not having a significant impact in that area. There is, however, a World Wide Web out there that has NEVER heard of Ron Paul. We should be working on banner advertising and google ads and a ton of other internet based advertising that could really get Ron Paul's name out there.
That's the internet...

We have barely made a dent. I am doing what I can to get people to pledge to distribute literature at sporting/concert events, etc... but honestly, there haven't been alot of responses to that plea to get out on the streets and talk to people and THAT is where we NEED to be. We can do so much more on the internet but I can tell you from experience that people vote for people based on personal contact. If a candidate contacts you personally, you are more likely to vote for that person - period. It is a tried and true tradition in politicking and WE need to be doing more of it.

Well, on that note, if everyone pledged to talk to everyone around their home. Keeping a database of who likes Ron Paul, who doesn't like Ron Paul, and who is undecided...every two weeks you can follow up on those who are undecided. Each time take a different piece of literature or DvD. We are only talking about three blocks around your house. Perhaps 50 - 100 houses or so. Then, after a couple of repeat visits, have a BBQ inviting all the RP supporters (in the area you've been working) and the undecideds.

This can pull in quite a few people.

inibo
08-25-2007, 01:08 AM
A few times I have seen a link to a sight where one can get lists of people who have made campaign contribution by zip code. I'm going to be looking for it again to use for local on the ground work, but if someone already has it and can post it here it would make my life easier.

Never mind: http://www.googlerace.com/neighbors.php

Lord Xar
08-25-2007, 01:22 AM
That's the internet...

I agree - I am have some things in the frying pan that will address this issue.... we are thinking the same thing.

Sematary
08-25-2007, 01:25 AM
I agree - I am have some things in the frying pan that will address this issue.... we are thinking the same thing.

Great minds think alike. ;-)

bbachtung
08-25-2007, 01:45 AM
A few times I have seen a link to a sight where one can get lists of people who have made campaign contribution by zip code. I'm going to be looking for it again to use for local on the ground work, but if someone already has it and can post it here it would make my life easier.

Never mind: http://www.googlerace.com/neighbors.php

That site appears to cover only the 2004 election.

You can get current information (by zip code) here: http://www.opensecrets.org/pres08/search_donor.asp

jjschless
08-25-2007, 02:14 AM
The most economic way to get National/local TV advertising is to make news. We should do more events like the Spam donated to charity.

Headlines like these could work:

"Supporters of Ron Paul......

... organizing a clothing and blanket drive for local shelters across America."
... put on a special an "event" for special needs children" <--- in RP shirts
... put together the most awesomist grass roots rally evar!!!111!!!11" <--- from a gamer site ;)
... volunteering for X cause." <--- in RP shirts
... show support for local run/walk event." <--- in RP shirts

Karsten
08-25-2007, 02:18 AM
With 3,708 meetup events so far with the Ron Paul meetup groups, I disagree with your idea that we haven't done much in the real world. Joe scarborough even spoke about the Ron Paul signs he has seen everywhere. I am a member of the Pasadena meetup group, and so far we have had a rally outside the Bill Maher studio and were in the audience during his interview, had a caravan of 20 cars decorated with Ron Paul stuff for the 4th of July, held a banner over the freeway, and have done many tabling, sign waving events. If you haven't done anything in the real world, join a Ron Paul meetup! ronpaul.meetup.com. There are meetups all around the country!

Rick Williams
08-25-2007, 04:47 PM
Absolutely right that we need to move outside. But think what we've accomplished in such a short time! The core support has formed up through the meetup groups; the communications structure is taking shape online; Ron Paul has emerged as the only candidate that's moving up in visibility,etc. etc. In a month, maybe two, Ron and his message can BURST into public consciousness. Something like this can happen in a single instant of time. REMEMBER THE FALL OF THE SOVIET UNION. One day it was there-- the next day it was gone. Think of all the pop culture phenomena that suddenly appear. The next step is coming-- public awareness. Then comes the truly hard work. Taking over the Republican Party at a grassroots level. And the country. But it can happen, if we make it that way. We have the numbers. 70% oppose the war. Our job is to make them feel comfortable in expressing and then voting their true feeling.

murph
08-25-2007, 05:02 PM
Just this afternoon about seven of us spent two hours on the busiest street in Richmond, VA holding up a series of signs "Burma Shave" style. I estimate that about 4,000 cars went by during that time. We handed out loads of bumper stickers and liberty cards at the intersection and overall the reactions were positive.

This activity, in my humble opinion, is just one example of the kind of action that will get Ron into the White House.

Our group is also planning to rent a 10x10 booth at the Virginia State Fair to get ballot petition signatures and to spread the freedom message.

Although important to a degree, there is are limits to what can be accomplished while sitting in front of a computer. As Elvis said it, "a little less conversation, a little more action please"

Thunderbolt
08-25-2007, 05:06 PM

constituent
08-25-2007, 05:08 PM
beautiful!

Thunderbolt
08-25-2007, 05:09 PM

quickmike
08-25-2007, 05:13 PM
Well, on that note, if everyone pledged to talk to everyone around their home. Keeping a database of who likes Ron Paul, who doesn't like Ron Paul, and who is undecided...every two weeks you can follow up on those who are undecided. Each time take a different piece of literature or DvD. We are only talking about three blocks around your house. Perhaps 50 - 100 houses or so. Then, after a couple of repeat visits, have a BBQ inviting all the RP supporters (in the area you've been working) and the undecideds.

This can pull in quite a few people.

Yep, thats the ONLY way its going to happen. We have saturated the internet and internet polls.............. thats done and can do no more to spread his name. I bet if you did a poll on here and asked how many people actually went door to door with CDs and flyers, only about 30 percent would answer yes. Some people say "well, we have signs we put up all the time dude" Ok, same thing as the internet though because if someone doesnt have an internet connection, how is a Ron Paul sign going to explain to them what Ron Paul stands for and if they do have internet, they probably already know who Ron Paul is, so that defeats the whole purpose. They cant turn on the MSM to find out........... all they will see is Mitt's mug on CNN and FOX.
The best that person can do is just guess and leave it at that. Actual conversation and literature is the ONLY way. People for the most part wont realize what im saying until its too late though and have run out of time to do anything about it. Ask yourself something........... does everyone in your neighborhood know who Ron Paul is and what his positions are on the issues? If not, why havent you done anything about that?

paulitics
08-25-2007, 05:39 PM
That's the internet...

I think we should start keeping goals. One for group or national, and the other for individual or local. If we list our goals we are 10 times more likely to achieve them. For instance, my goal may be to hand out 1,000 flyers, convert 10 acquaintances, mail 100 letters, etc. We should all list our goals, and give each other encouragement.

Thunderbolt
08-25-2007, 05:50 PM
.. .

Shink
08-25-2007, 05:59 PM
That site appears to cover only the 2004 election.

You can get current information (by zip code) here: http://www.opensecrets.org/pres08/search_donor.asp

Wow, thank you both for these links. However, my area sucks...low population and the ones who did donate have done mostly Democrat...some up to 2300 for Obama....people fall for his vague BS. However, I think you guys should really use this, victimize those who donated to Tommy Thompson near your area/message meetup groups near distant contributors in your state.

quickmike
08-25-2007, 06:08 PM
Is there a good DVD around that we can give to people. I only want Ron Paul bits on it. I personally am turned off by some of the others I have seen. If so, I will be willing to burn copies of them on my computer and give them out to my whole neighborhood along with some kind of door flier. That's my goal for this week.

theres a good one you can download using your favorite torrent program. just type in Ron Paul in the search and it will show an ISO file thats 4.2 Gig in size or maybe 4.9 gig in size. thats a good one, then just burn the ISO directly to cd and its done. Its got debate segments of RP speaking, news interviews..........

Now that I think about it, you can get it at ronpauldvd.com

lucius
08-25-2007, 07:46 PM
theres a good one you can download using your favorite torrent program. just type in Ron Paul in the search and it will show an ISO file thats 4.2 Gig in size or maybe 4.9 gig in size. thats a good one, then just burn the ISO directly to cd and its done. Its got debate segments of RP speaking, news interviews..........

Now that I think about it, you can get it at ronpauldvd.com

Here is the content of one of the DVD's I cobbled together and sent for IA Straw Poll writing effort:

Stop Dreaming
MSNBC Debate RP Responses
Join The Revolution
FOX debate RP Responses
After FOX Debate text-poll results
Restore The Republic
CNN Debate RP Responses
Lou Dobbs on Illegal Alien Amnesty Bill
RP getting the 'Colbert Bump'
NAU 101 (Jerome Corsi)
CFR-NAU & 2008 Candidates
Dr. Paul's magnificent 'Dissent During War' Congressional speech
RP on Tucker on meaning of National ID
FEMA EO History
JFK Speech Warning About Secret Societies
Paul, RP Meetup--Clearwater FL, July 4th signage
Ukulele Jake playing Central Park
#

It is right at two hours. I have sent a few copies to members of on this forum. The mix of this DVD is good and it repeats the message and supports the message over and over again. I spend five hours on Sundays burning 100 disks, which I give out at our business that following week--the response is amazing—they watch, they copy, they share with their friends, they come back and ask for more. We have to bring the Internet content to the non-Internet people who fixate on TV; this is a good medium (making DVDs).

I am now putting together a DVD for Christians and I need a CFR-NAU & 2008 Candidates flick, but strip out Rage Against the Machine and insert classical music. How can I do that? What kind of software do I need (any freeware)? Here is the wonderful flick; I think done by a member here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo5CZvD3-QM

stevedasbach
08-25-2007, 08:22 PM
We will NOT get EVERYONE to do ANYTHING in particular.

We CAN encourage MANY people to do SOMETHING.

Buy ads. Contribute money. Distribute literature. Wave signs. Work fair booths. Attend local Republican meetings. Create videos. Work events. Call or write voters. Write letters to the editor. Call talk shows. Be creative.

Find something you that you are willing to do ...that you are passionate about ...and just do it.

There are no silver bullets. Try silver buckshot instead.

Ronstock '08
08-25-2007, 08:34 PM
Just this afternoon about seven of us spent two hours on the busiest street in Richmond, VA holding up a series of signs "Burma Shave" style. I estimate that about 4,000 cars went by during that time. We handed out loads of bumper stickers and liberty cards at the intersection and overall the reactions were positive.

This activity, in my humble opinion, is just one example of the kind of action that will get Ron into the White House.

Our group is also planning to rent a 10x10 booth at the Virginia State Fair to get ballot petition signatures and to spread the freedom message.

Although important to a degree, there is are limits to what can be accomplished while sitting in front of a computer. As Elvis said it, "a little less conversation, a little more action please"

Would love to see a pic (or video) of the signs :)

We are also renting a booth at our local county fair (Salisbury, NC) next month

lucius
08-25-2007, 08:47 PM
We will NOT get EVERYONE to do ANYTHING in particular.

We CAN encourage MANY people to do SOMETHING.

Buy ads. Contribute money. Distribute literature. Wave signs. Work fair booths. Attend local Republican meetings. Create videos. Work events. Call or write voters. Write letters to the editor. Call talk shows. Be creative.

Find something you that you are willing to do ...that you are passionate about ...and just do it.

There are no silver bullets. Try silver buckshot instead.

So true, just do it!

jb4ronpaul
08-25-2007, 08:57 PM
agree 100%. I always thought it would help out if some of the more successful meetups put together a how too manual/web site to distribute around to all the other meetup leaders. Best ways to make signs, fund raise, canvas, get people motivated, get letters in the paper, get publicity, get contacts with the media, etc. Also I think keep going with the nationally coordinate events, especially once we have a better communication method than the meetups. ronpaul4president.org looks promising.