PDA

View Full Version : How did you discover Ron Paul?

Sematary
08-25-2007, 12:44 AM
I can't honestly remember the exact moment that I discovered Ron Paul. It was many moons ago and I've been emailing his congressional office intermittently BEGGING him to run for president. I know, however, that many of you are much newer to the Ron Paul phenomenon and I am curious as to how you found out about him.

Craig_R
08-25-2007, 12:59 AM
prisonplanet.com

Sematary
08-25-2007, 01:00 AM
prisonplanet.com

How long ago?

Sematary
08-25-2007, 01:01 AM
This could be a GOLDEN opportunity for us to put together a sort of memoir of our collective experiences bringing us to this point. Let's really dig deep and tell some stories!

Jon S
08-25-2007, 01:04 AM
haha i was watching zeitgeist on youtube and one of the "ron paul spammers" had made a comment about ron paul so i looked him up on youtube. so yes spamming ron pauls name does garner some support.

njandrewg
08-25-2007, 01:06 AM
first time I saw his interview in Freedom to Facism(RIP) and liked what I heard. Then when I saw him in the debate I knew thats who I wanted

Electric Church
08-25-2007, 01:10 AM
America From Freedom to Fascism and prisonplanet.com

Lord Xar
08-25-2007, 01:11 AM
I watched a video from Avorath and was hooked since....

JAHOGS
08-25-2007, 01:25 AM
through another message board (sports, arkansas razorbacks).

Harry96
08-25-2007, 01:40 AM
I've been involved in the libertarian movement since 1996, so I've known about him for about 10 years.

Thelibertywire
08-25-2007, 01:43 AM
I used to read his writings back when i was supporting Harry Browne.
I was 13 then

LizF
08-25-2007, 02:21 AM
The debates. He was just so darned likeable and sensible!

McDermit
08-25-2007, 02:41 AM
couple months ago.. Posts on myspace bulletins and on pahardcore.com (not what it sounds like. LOL)

I saw his name probably 20 times before I actually paid any attention.

SlapItHigh
08-25-2007, 03:00 AM
I learned about him in my Libertarian Mothers group back in February. Researched him excessively the night I heard his name for the first time and have been completely motivated by him ever since.

BuddyRey
08-25-2007, 03:01 AM
The first time I heard of him was from a banner ad on Alex Jones' website. At the time I thought "this guy looks kinda out there." But a few weeks later, I saw him in the first Republican debate and was completely bowled over. I was still really hoping to find a Democratic candidate I liked as much as RP, but, with the exception of Mike Gravel (whose chances looked dismal even then), none of them inspired me. I was, for the first time in my life, going to vote for a Republican! Even scarier than that is that I didn't mind jumping ship in the least, and still don't!!!

themanhere
08-25-2007, 03:03 AM
divine intervention and tv.

john_anderson_ii
08-25-2007, 04:20 AM
Its 0300, and I'm kind of in the mood for storytelling, so I'll tell you the story of how I came to support Ron Paul.

I was getting off the I-10 in Tempe, AZ on my way to work and I saw a sign that said "Ron Paul R3V0_|ution" hanging on a construction fence beside the offramp. When I got to work, being the good sysadmin that I am, I googled it to figure out what the heck was going on. I seriously thought it was someone who was wrongfully imprisoned. Wow was I shocked.

The story of how I was basically raised to believe in everything that Ron Paul stands for is much longer and involved.

Slugg
08-25-2007, 04:25 AM
I learned about Ron Paul through a passing conversation last year. I was told, "This guy is considering running for President. You should look into him." I looked into him, and thought he was weird. I left it alone. Then, in mid June, I saw his debate on Youtube. I researched him for about three weeks, then I started pouring all the money I could into his campaign.

I found this forum because I had watched all the videos, read all his speeches (most anyway) and wanted to talk to people about how to help. I ran a Google search for "Ron Paul Forums"...and here I am.....good ol' google. Bringing liberty back to the people one search at a time.

Keith
08-25-2007, 05:17 AM
I read the TechCrunch blog from time to time. On July 15 the article below appeared.

http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/07/15/ron-paul-a-distributed-web-20-campaign/

I was intrigued so I watched the Google interview and I like him. I had never liked a politician before and had very little interest in politics. I had always voted Republican, but I have become so disillusioned with our country's foreign policies over the last few years that i was actually planning to vote for the democrat next time unless it was Hitlery.

Brasil Branco
08-25-2007, 05:20 AM
Through YouTube for me... I kept reading comments saying "Yep, politicians are crooked, but not Ron Paul!"

I honestly thought it was another Bush since it was a Republican, but boy was I suprised when I watched some of his videos.

Spike Kojima
08-25-2007, 05:44 AM
I learned about Ron Paul back in september 06 when I started listening to free talk live. The hosts Ian and Mark said "Dr. No" was the only good politician in D.C. I had to agree.

fj45lvr
08-25-2007, 05:45 AM
watching C-span back in the 1988 election. I knew at that moment that this was a guy that America needed as president.

Omnis
08-25-2007, 05:48 AM
I saw a "Who is Ron Paul?" avatar on another forum right after the first debate. One youtube search and I was instantly hooked. It think it might be destiny how I just turned 18 and suddenly found the perfect candidate.

trispear
08-25-2007, 05:53 AM
On Digg. Found Gravel first, liked him for his honesty except for some carbon tax issues but people kept mentioning Ron Paul and Dennis Kucinich on there.

Investigated Paul and found something I'd never thought I'd see: an honest politician^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h Statesman.

guntherg16
08-25-2007, 06:19 AM
I found out about him about 4 years ago in the pages of The New American (http://www.jbs.org/thenewamerican) magazine.

noxagol
08-25-2007, 06:23 AM
I was home on med leave and randomly watching youtube vids. I just happened upon the GOP debate in SC and just happened to click on Ron Paul's vid. I was slack jawed. This is the man I had been dreaming and hoping for to run for president. I mean, just wow. Never thought this would happen.

quickmike
08-25-2007, 07:00 AM
I actually heard about Ron Paul from a video called "The Truth and Lies of 911" by a guy named Michael C Ruppert, who was a Los Angeles narcotics agent who was involved in government sponsored drug dealing before quitting the department. Although hes not really a "truther" and said that he wasnt here to claim who carried out 911, he brought up good points on why such little was done about the information they had prior to 911. He brings up some very good, well thought out connections between the Bush family ,drug cartels and the CIA.............very interesting video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTltzxK0pPw

Thats where I first heard the mention of Ron Paul when he was quoted in the video and had a small segment where Ron Paul spoke about the corruption of our government. I saw that and said to myself "wow, this has to be the most honest politician I have ever heard!!!!" Been hooked ever since.

RPatTheBeach
08-25-2007, 07:06 AM
coworker wearing a "Who Is Ron Paul?" t-shirt

JosephTheLibertarian
08-25-2007, 07:08 AM
How'd I find him? I was in the Libertarian Party of New Jersey's forum, I was planning to run for the NJ state legislature, a member there set up a vote to see how many members will be supporting Ron Paul, this is how I first found out about him. But, was I a supporter? No, I was skeptical at first, so I didn't vote well in that poll lol, I was the only guy that voted "no." I was skeptical, I said "why would he betray the LP?" etc, then, I read up on him more, I watched all his videos, so yeah, I got hooked, and I've been a supporter ever since.

SeanEdwards
08-25-2007, 07:41 AM
I think it was sometime around 1996. I came across the text of one of Ron Paul's speeches before Congress that had been posted onto a usenet discussion forum. I recall being amazed that any elected politician in the US could say such things and remain in office. I've been a fan ever since.

10thAmendmentMan
08-25-2007, 07:46 AM
I found him last January on a gun board (The High Road) listed under pro-gun presidential candidates. I wasn't planning on voting until I started reading more about him.

Pharoah
08-25-2007, 08:17 AM
Listening to the Alex Jones Radio Show. Alex was off on one of his rants about Ron Paul being the only genuine candidate - and everyone else being in the pocket of the NWO. Alex is over the top sometimes, but he's usually right on most subjects - and the novelty of an honest man running for President caused me to look into Ron Paul's background. I found that he really was the genuine article - so I've been an avid observer ever since. [I'm not a U.S. citizen - I'm in Australia, so unfortunately I can't vote for him.]

richard1984
08-25-2007, 08:23 AM
I first discovered Dr. Paul while watching the first GOP debate on MSNBC. He answered the questions correctly!!!! I was blown away, and very soon I became obsessed.