PDA

View Full Version : I need some input

BLS
08-25-2007, 12:41 AM
I wrote this letter to my local meetup group last night.

I got 2 responses early this morning, but then tonight got one that kind of blew me away.

Here's my email:

As much as I hate to ‘spam’ Ron Paul supporters, because I know it becomes overbearing at times, I would like to grab my soapbox for a minute.

If you signed up for a local Meetup group, as we all obviously have, at some point, you felt compelled somewhere inside of yourself, to GET INVOLVED.

I am going to throw something personal out here, right now. I’m not a very social person overall.
I am not comfortable going door to door by myself.
I was a bit freaked when I decided that Ron Paul NEEDED my help in Iowa at the straw poll. My only way down there was to ride with 2 guys from the local meetup, who I have never met.
Turns out, they were both great guys, but it was a pretty big leap for me and my own ‘security net’.

Even in Ames, I did my job. I walked up, offered my services to the campaign and simply said “I’ll do anything…just tell me what to do.”
I’m not a ‘rah-rah’ kind of guy. I’m a pretty laid back person. But later that day, I was screaming at the top of my lungs for my freedom, and for a real change in our country.
As the day went on, and I met people from Alabama, Seattle, Tulsa, New Hampshire, Milwaukee, and Florida. And I realized one thing…..
These people are just as motivated, and probably more so than I. I don’t know if I would’ve taken a day off of work to goto Alabama’s straw poll.
All in the name of Ron Paul. I left inspired, motivated more so than ever, and I made a firm decision. I was going to actually ATTEND my local meetup that I signed up for in May, but yet had never visited.

My point is this…

After Ames, I lost that ‘fear’ of meeting people where I didn’t know what to expect. What I learned, not only about my meetup group, but about myself is simple.
While we are a diverse group, we ALL are looking for the same thing. Major change in government.
And while I’ll admit that I was leery, and honestly undecided all about getting involved all the way up to the night before the Iowa trip took off, I learned that we are a POWERFUL group of people.
Ron Paul supporters are lawyers and they are bikers. They are IT Engineers, and they are stay-at-home mothers.
They are Printing Shop Managers, and they are lifelong political movers.

I write this to let ALL the local meetup members know one thing….

Not only does Ron Paul need you; and not only does your local meetup NEED YOU. But our Country needs you.
They need you to get up, get out of your chair and say “I can skip going up north fishing for Labor Day. My kids are worth it.”
We need YOU to GET INVOLVED. ATTEND your meetup….just ONE TIME.
We need help making signs.
We need help raising money.

We need you. And you know who you are.
If there is one time in your life, where a decision needs to be made….isn’t NOW that time?! I believe you KNOW it is…or else you wouldn’t have signed up.
Don’t wait until it’s too late to make a difference. Please. We can’t do it with 30 people, when there’s almost 300 of us.

Besides..it can be a ton of fun.

Please….meetup members. Help us.

We are trying DESPERATELY to organize a REVOLUTION sign making party. We ARE going to get Ron Paul on the local news, simply because they could NOT ignore us if we have the manpower.
We need help.

I’ll buy the soda and beer if we get over 50 members to show up!!!
That’s MY PROMISE.

What will you do in return?

-Chris

Here's his response:

Chris, et.al:

I'll be going to work that day--like I do every weekend.

Be careful that your motivational speaking doesn't hit people the wrong way. Keep in mind that we all have something uninque to give--if we want to. So far, this is not a manditory-meeting type organization.

Also, keep in mind that we will give as we can and that this is a year-long process. After the people at the beginning wear-out there will be others who later take up the work. Don't make them reluctant to do so by chastising them at the beginning. I, for one, neither have a bottom-less pit of time nor of money. Please respect how I alot them.

I'm sure you believe that a sort of 'tough coach'-talk is the way to motivate people, but it doesn't motivate me. Your telling of your experience and change is much more compelling.

Another very important point. I'm sure the Internet croud just loves this medium, but for real-world people to show up, a telephone call is essential. People need to be reminded and a personal telephone call is 100 times more influential than an e-mail or entry in a forum. Perhaps, gasp, we can start an old-fashioned telephone calling tree.

Thank you for your efforts. I hope you understand.

Gilbert

Was I wrong in my approach? Is what he's saying have merit?

Suzu
08-25-2007, 01:39 AM
Is what he's saying have merit?

Absolutely! And so do you.

The phone call comment is very true, by the way.

Thelibertywire
08-25-2007, 01:46 AM
do not call list doesn't stop in state calls.

Sematary
08-25-2007, 01:48 AM
Personally, I understand that certain people WILL create change. they WILL make things happen and other people will follow. If you want other people to DO SOMETHING - lead them.

Lord Xar
08-25-2007, 01:52 AM
I understand your points, but its true - the meetups are not a calling card for actual "action".

When I needed donations I pinged my meetup groups, not one answer. I pinged them again about some help I needed, not one answer.

Its very very weird. Some meetups are hugely involved, others are not.

I am a shy person by nature and i have yet to actually meet anybody, though I know I have to get out there and put feet to the ground. Others do not. Its okay.. everyone does help out in ways they can.

Don't get discouraged. You both have points.

But you are thinking 50 members will show!!! hahahahha... that is alot. If you get close to that, I think you have a good involved meetup.

Dang, let me know and I'll pitch in for the beer just to get the mood festive.....

SlapItHigh
08-25-2007, 03:21 AM
Yeah, his commit has merit. I don't really understand what caused him to write that, but apparently he felt that way so it is valid. However, your words have a lot of merit as well. I'm easily annoyed by people who try to guilt me into doing things and I was not at all annoyed by your post. That does leave me feeling a little confused as to why this person responded the way that they did.

I think your post was pretty motivating. Many of us are Libertarians and are used to the "live and let live" lifestyle. Many of us may not feel comfortable trying to spread ideas to others. Last night I went to our local Army base for a concert to pass out RP trifolds. It was so out of my element and I had all these visions of people rejecting them, asking me a bunch of questions or me saying something to offend them. Turns out, all I had to do was literally stand there with my arm extended with a trifold in my hand and people couldn't take them fast enough. I barely had time to refill my hand with another before the next person was reaching for one. I was relieved to find out how easy it was. I think if others knew it was that easy, they'd be more likely to come out. I don't have time either...heck, I spent half of the day in the ER with my son after he was attacked by bees, meanwhile my husband was in an accident and can't care for our children right now. I brought my son with me and had him in the stroller at 9:30pm passing out these trifolds. You make the time.

I also want to say that if you can't get a bunch of people to come out and make signs, don't let that stop you. If you make a template you can get the signs made pretty fast. We had a meetup to discuss plans and there weren't a lot of people there but we just left the meeting and made signs out in a parking lot in the dark. We just did it, it wasn't planned out but a good plan today is better than a perfect plan tomorrow. We've been able to get a lot accomplished as far as sign making with just a few people. Getting the signs out there can be accomplished with just a few (or even less) as well.

Question_Authority
08-25-2007, 06:32 AM
I think your message was powerful and very well written. If someone felt offended by that, then they are either really stubborn and grumpy, or they still do not know what is at stake here.

I have similar frustrations with my local meetup group. There are over 300 members and yet I see the same 10-20 people at each event. I don't get it.

I go to a meetup once a week. People do all kinds of things that they make time for once a week, like watching a baseball game, or whatever. Ugh.

Which meetup group are you with?

BLS
08-25-2007, 07:18 AM
I think your message was powerful and very well written. If someone felt offended by that, then they are either really stubborn and grumpy, or they still do not know what is at stake here.

I have similar frustrations with my local meetup group. There are over 300 members and yet I see the same 10-20 people at each event. I don't get it.

I go to a meetup once a week. People do all kinds of things that they make time for once a week, like watching a baseball game, or whatever. Ugh.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Question, I'm with meetup group 55 out of St. Paul, MN

mdh
08-25-2007, 07:20 AM
do not call list doesn't stop in state calls.

The do not call list does not apply to non-profit political campaigning at all.

lucius
08-25-2007, 07:54 AM
I like your email; it’s a great first email! My suggestion, get rid of this,

"I’ll buy the soda and beer if we get over 50 members to show up!!!
That’s MY PROMISE.

What will you do in return?"

Leave it at I'm buying the beer and sodas! Let's have some fun' get Dr. Paul elected! If anybody shows up, get their cell number and add, OK to call you at this number? Much of American society is broken, many are reluctant to pitch in or really get involved with 'strangers'.

Persuasive social interaction is a learned behavior; mastery is acquired over time and with usage, just don't stop trying and keep contacting them!

RP supporters are a strange bunch, shoot I have to go no further than looking in a mirror. :)

PS: Your motives are right; you are doing a good thing.

Sematary
08-25-2007, 07:59 AM

I belong to several meetups, but I have never been to a meeting. As you can tell though, I am very active. I use the meetups as a communications tool to get people to join ME in doing events. In many cases, I am setting the agenda of what needs to be done, without ever having been to a meetup. I work nights and since all the meetups ARE at night - well, you do what you can. I take time off work for events, if necessary but I don't actually show up for meetups.