PDA

View Full Version : "In an exchange with Rep. Ron Paul, Al-Jaberi said that U.S. presence in Iraq is..."

haaaylee
06-04-2008, 09:27 PM
from THINK PROGRESS . COM
NOTE::: the video is fucked up right now but will hopefully be fixed soon........... or a new one will come out.

Iraqi Parliamentarian: 70 Percent Of Iraqis Want Withdrawal, Huge U.S. Embassy Not A ‘Positive Signal’

Today, the House held a hearing featuring two members of the Iraqi Parliament in order “to hear their assessment of the proposed U.S.-Iraq Security Agreement,” an agreement proposed by the Bush administration permitting combat forces in Iraq for an unspecified period of time. Iraq is currently seeing “growing and widespread protests…over the scope of the agreement.”

In the hearing, parliamentarians Nadeem Al-Jaberi and Khalaf Al-Ulayyan expressed their support for a timetable for withdrawal of U.S. troops. In an exchange with Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX), Al-Jaberi said that U.S. presence in Iraq is highly unpopular with the public, as roughly 70 percent of Iraqis favor a withdrawal:

PAUL: What percent of the Iraqi people would agree with us leaving under those circumstances?

AL-JABERI: I ask you to perhaps have a referendum, and that will tell you the truth.

PAUL: So you have no idea. You have no idea. Maybe only 5 percent would support us leaving. You have to have an idea.

AL-JABERI: Of course not. The majority of the people of Iraq are with the withdrawal. … Perhaps even about 70 percent.

Watch it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VLXPM0AKKE

Given the Iraqis’ opposition to U.S. forces, Paul asked how the public perceives the 104-acre, $700 million U.S. embassy in Baghdad, which consists of 27 buildings and 3,000 employees. Jaberi ripped its massive scale:

AL-JABERI: It is certainly larger than the diplomatic mission for which it has arrived for. … I mean why do we need 3,000 employees in an embassy in Iraq if we consider it as a diplomatic mission like any other diplomatic mission? From the principle of reciprocity, would it be appropriate for Iraqis to establish a 3,000 employee embassy in Washington? … It [the embassy] certainly would not be a very positive signal to the Iraqi people.

Al-Jaberi also criticized the enclosed nature of embassy activities, which sits in the heavily-fortified Green Zone: “And yes, there is some procrastination in its relationship with the society, because its relations are limited to the Green Zone.”

Update
Spencer Ackerman notes that al-Ulayyan, when asked about the invasion of Iraq, remarked: "I would prefer if it didn't happen, because it led to the destruction of the country. The U.S. got rid of one person. It put in hundreds of persons that are worse than Saddam Hussein. Unfortunately, now Iran is going into Iraq, and this is under the umbrella of the United States."

Update
Rep. Bill Delahunt (D-MA) also released a letter today from 31 Iraqi legislators "asserting that the proposed [long-term security] agreement is opposed by a majority of the parliament if it does not include a specific timetable for the withdrawal of U.S. military troops."

Nirvikalpa
06-04-2008, 09:32 PM
Man, neocon's just got PWNed real bad. Ron Paul'ed. Old School'd. However you want to say it, Ron Paul was right again and the majority of our government leaders - wrong.

Ixzion
The video is messed up.

But awesome exchange. Thanks for the share! :D

RSLudlum
That video is quite f'd up!! I only wish our troops were moving out of Iraq as fast as they are in the video. :p

haaaylee
06-04-2008, 09:38 PM
Someone in the comments section actually said Ron Paul was out of touch for not getting that they want us out ............:confused:

ARealConservative
06-04-2008, 09:41 PM
Someone in the comments section actually said Ron Paul was out of touch for not getting that they want us out ............:confused:

check your premise

PlzPeopleWakeUp
06-04-2008, 09:59 PM
nt

RSLudlum
06-04-2008, 10:16 PM
CSPAN online video: rtsp://video1.c-span.org/project/iraq/iraq060408_parliament.rm

RP's questions start 1hr 11min. ;)

mrchubbs
06-04-2008, 10:39 PM
CSPAN online video: rtsp://video1.c-span.org/project/iraq/iraq060408_parliament.rm

RP's questions start 1hr 11min. ;)

And his opening statement is at 24:30ish.

haaaylee
06-04-2008, 10:56 PM

Oh Man, i love his response after they announce him as a former candidate.... he laughs. So good.

Can someone do a graphic of that like they did for the ROn Paul look to McCain during the debate?

revolutionary8
06-04-2008, 11:29 PM
His opening statement is AWESOME. :)
Ron Paul is very well spoken, and a great communicator. He is everything a diplomat should be. He makes me proud. :)

Thank you Walter Jones. :)

One last thing,
did you notice how Al-Jaberi and Al-Ulayyan turned and looked at one another as Walter Jones spoke about the war?

TastyWheat
06-05-2008, 12:06 AM
Here's another link (flash viewable):
http://www.c-spanarchives.org/library/index.php?main_page=product_video_info&products_id=205824-1

Ron Paul speaks at about 00:24 and 1:08.

lasenorita
06-05-2008, 12:09 AM
Thank you for the C-SPAN video link. I agree that Congressman Paul is an awesome sight to behold when he speaks. (A teensy tad bit frightening, really.)

ETA: I also read the comments over at ThinkProgress.org, and nearly fell off my chair after reading #10 (http://thinkprogress.org/2008/06/04/iraq-parliament/#comment-4998484)'s comment about egocentric, insensitive, and out-of-touch Ron Paul deserving a punch in the mouth. Erm, okay... :confused::rolleyes::D:cool:

revolutionary8
06-05-2008, 12:13 AM
Thank you for the C-SPAN video link. I agree that Congressman Paul is an awesome sight to behold when he speaks. (A teensy tad bit frightening, really.)

ETA: I also read the comments over at ThinkProgress.org, and nearly fell off my chair after reading #10 (http://thinkprogress.org/2008/06/04/iraq-parliament/#comment-4998484)'s comment about egocentric, insensitive, and out-of-touch Ron Paul deserving a punch in the mouth. Erm, okay... :confused::rolleyes::D:cool:

Omphfullas Zamboni
06-05-2008, 12:17 AM
That was an interesting point about timetables actually stopping violent gangs somewhere around 1h25mn or so. Is anybody archiving this segment?

rtsp://video1.c-span.org/project/iraq/iraq060408_parliament.rm

revolutionary8
06-05-2008, 12:27 AM
That was an interesting point about timetables actually stopping violent gangs somewhere around 1h25mn or so. Is anybody archiving this segment?
At 1h23

Jaykzo
06-05-2008, 12:28 AM
This testimony basically backs up the claim that our strategy in Iraq is completely flawed and that the only chance for positive change in that region is our withdrawel.

This better make the news. I swear, I'll lose it if it doesn't.

revolutionary8
06-05-2008, 12:31 AM
Dupe/bump.
we learn from our mistakes round these partitions. lol.

BenIsForRon
06-05-2008, 12:42 AM
3 of the most principled people in congress at that hearing: Ron Paul, Jeff Flake, and Walter Jones. America would be such a great country if we had this level of discussion regularly.

lvp1138
06-05-2008, 01:09 AM
If someone could make a high res video of Ron's opening statement, and the questions part, and we somehow managed to play that at the national convention, I'm sure it would make some blind McCain followers there think twice...

It will make them realize "wait. Didn't we laugh at this guy for suggesting these things? We may have been wrong all this time..."

revolutionary8
06-05-2008, 01:13 AM
bump.
1:29
Al- Jaberi translator:
"Presence of troops is actually serving these groups".

TheTyke
06-05-2008, 02:16 AM
EVERYONE needs to see this.

Drknows
06-05-2008, 03:20 AM
I love how they put the important news and meetings on CSPAN -3. They have to keep the public dumb to whats going on i guess.

Yeah the video still needs to be fixed.

DFF
06-05-2008, 04:36 AM
I like how RP laughs when the translator comments on the 'staff size' of the Iraq embassy.:D

Perry
06-05-2008, 09:25 AM
Can someone please youtube this darn thing?

ClayTrainor
06-05-2008, 09:40 AM
Can someone please youtube this darn thing?

yea, i second that notion.

im dying to see this after reading this thread.

Ninja Homer
06-05-2008, 09:49 AM
yea, i second that notion.

im dying to see this after reading this thread.

It's right here:
http://www.c-spanarchives.org/library/includes/templates/library/flash_popup.php?pID=205824-1&clipStart=&clipStop=

It works well for me. Or do you mean just cutting out the Ron Paul parts and putting them up on youtube?

ClayTrainor
06-05-2008, 09:56 AM
It's right here:
http://www.c-spanarchives.org/library/includes/templates/library/flash_popup.php?pID=205824-1&clipStart=&clipStop=

It works well for me. Or do you mean just cutting out the Ron Paul parts and putting them up on youtube?

wow, how'd i miss that?

thanks bro

haaaylee
06-05-2008, 12:41 PM
bump.

SnappleLlama
06-05-2008, 12:50 PM
My computer here at work is a piece of garbage and won't play the video...I have to suffer until I get home :(

angelatc
06-05-2008, 01:16 PM
Oh, I almost missed this thread. This is very cool. Too bad nobody ever listens.

MikeStanart
06-05-2008, 01:28 PM
3 of the most principled people in congress at that hearing: Ron Paul, Jeff Flake, and Walter Jones. America would be such a great country if we had this level of discussion regularly.

Yeah, I really like Jeff Flake, even though he's not spot on with foreign policy.

haaaylee
06-05-2008, 01:45 PM
Has anyone seen this on anything besides cspan 3 and think progress though? we need to make dvds of this ...

torchbearer
06-05-2008, 02:22 PM
gotta get this on the tubes!

SLSteven
06-05-2008, 02:24 PM
We need a lot more patriots like Ron Paul!

thechitowncubs
06-05-2008, 02:56 PM
I am in progress of splicing out Ronny's comments just so everyone knows.

Perry
06-05-2008, 02:58 PM
It's right here:

Doesn't work for me. One link will play but when I forward it stops buffering. The other only plays the first 40 minutes of the video which do not include Paul.
Obviously a simple youtube will fix these issues for everyone.

thechitowncubs
06-05-2008, 03:00 PM
Doesn't work for me. One link will play but when I forward it stops buffering. The other only plays the first 40 minutes of the video which do not include Paul.
Obviously a simple youtube will fix these issues for everyone.

Ripping a RTSP stream and splicing out 2 different parts is not common sense, stop acting like it is :P

haaaylee
06-05-2008, 03:42 PM
can you add in some of the other good comments that were made that were pro-ron paul? or, pro leaving iraq that is.

purplechoe
06-05-2008, 06:36 PM
bump

thechitowncubs
06-05-2008, 07:03 PM
can you add in some of the other good comments that were made that were pro-ron paul? or, pro leaving iraq that is.

Anyone have any ideas on what other comments would be fitting to make a video with Ron Paul's comments also?

thechitowncubs
06-05-2008, 07:57 PM
Opening statement and Ron Paul's questions will be on this youtube page (http://www.youtube.com/user/thechitowncubs) when done procession

LibertyCzar
06-05-2008, 09:05 PM
This is fantastic. Who knows, maybe the Iraqis will make Ron Paul their President.

Knightskye
06-05-2008, 09:22 PM
Parts 1 and 2. :D Great stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uJPFNs59e8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXelUuw4nWk

This is fantastic. Who knows, maybe the Iraqis will make Ron Paul their President.

I'd rather keep him here.

TheTyke
06-05-2008, 11:02 PM
Any way you can make a Youtube for the later parts? For example a little bit after that clip they say that many of the various militant groups exist primarily to repel the occupying army, and that the US military presence is actually serving their interests. This is of course exactly what Ron Paul has been saying since the start, but I'd like my family to see that clip too! :D

Keep up the good work. :o

thechitowncubs
06-05-2008, 11:45 PM
Any way you can make a Youtube for the later parts? For example a little bit after that clip they say that many of the various militant groups exist primarily to repel the occupying army, and that the US military presence is actually serving their interests. This is of course exactly what Ron Paul has been saying since the start, but I'd like my family to see that clip too! :D

Keep up the good work. :o

Video of Jeff Flake's questioning session where we hear the iraqi's opinion of timetables and the effect of troop levels
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3eQVV... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3eQVVe-dH0)

Conza88
06-06-2008, 12:08 AM
WOW! Is what first comes to mind...

Ron Paul Questions Iraq Lawmakers. (http://digg.com/politics/Ron_Paul_Questions_Iraq_Lawmakers_2_2) <--- Part 2; where the action starts...

BUT if you have time; Watch the Opening Remarks Statement by Ron Paul first.
It is here: Part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uJPFNs59e8)

Part of the Transcript: (Go watch it before you read; its way better)

Today, the House held a hearing featuring two members of the Iraqi Parliament in order to hear their assessment of the proposed “U.S.-Iraq Security Agreement“, an agreement proposed by the Bush administration permitting combat forces in Iraq for an unspecified period of time. Iraq is currently seeing “growing and widespread protests over the scope of the agreement”.

In the hearing, Iraqi parliamentarians Nadeem Al-Jaberi and Khalaf Al-Ulayyan expressed their support for a timetable for withdrawal of U.S. troops. In an exchange with Congressman and Presidential Candidate Ron Paul, Al-Jaberi said that U.S. presence in Iraq is highly unpopular with the public, as roughly 70 percent of Iraqis favor a withdrawal:

PAUL: What percent of the Iraqi people would agree with us leaving under those circumstances?

AL-JABERI: I ask you to perhaps have a referendum, and that will tell you the truth.

PAUL: So you have no idea. You have no idea. Maybe only 5 percent would support us leaving. You have to have an idea.

AL-JABERI: Of course not. The majority of the people of Iraq are with the withdrawal. Perhaps even about 70 percent.

Given the Iraqis’ opposition to U.S. forces, Ron Paul asked how the public perceives the 104-acre, $700 million U.S. embassy in Baghdad, which consists of 27 buildings and 3,000 employees. Jaberi ripped its massive scale:

AL-JABERI: It is certainly larger than the diplomatic mission for which it has arrived for. … I mean why do we need 3,000 employees in an embassy in Iraq if we consider it as a diplomatic mission like any other diplomatic mission? From the principle of reciprocity, would it be appropriate for Iraqis to establish a 3,000 employee embassy in Washington? … It [the embassy] certainly would not be a very positive signal to the Iraqi people.

Al-Jaberi also criticized the enclosed nature of embassy activities, which sits in the heavily-fortified Green Zone: “And yes, there is some procrastination in its relationship with the society, because its relations are limited to the Green Zone.”

Spencer Ackerman notes that al-Ulayyan, when asked about the invasion of Iraq, remarked:

AL-ULAYYN: “I would prefer if it didn’t happen, because it led to the destruction of the country. The U.S. got rid of one person. It put in hundreds of persons that are worse than Saddam Hussein. Unfortunately, now Iran is going into Iraq, and this is under the umbrella of the United States.”

TheTyke
06-06-2008, 01:01 AM
That's awesome, my thanks!

IPSecure
06-06-2008, 01:59 AM
4 Million + Refugees!

Our Country Is Responsible For This! The land they used to own has been devastated by depleted uranium... Where are they going to go?

Wiki: Refugee

A refugee is a person who "owing to a well-founded fear of being persecuted for reasons of race, religion, nationality, membership of a particular social group, or political opinion, is outside the country of their nationality, and is unable to or, owing to such fear, is unwilling to avail him/herself of the protection of that country" (according to all the 1951 United Nations Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees).

Every person has the right to live free from persecution, or the fear of persecution, based on their race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion. Though every government is obligated to provide this right, many fail. Every year millions of people face persecution for traits they cannot control or exercising their religious or political beliefs. When governments fail to protect these rights, people have the right to move to a country that will protect them. This is the right to asylum. People who seek to exercise this right are called "asylum seekers" or, in some cases, "refugees." In 1951, the formal basis for exercising the right to asylum was established by an international treaty, the Geneva Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees.

Countries signing that Convention have an obligation to provide asylum or refuge to people fleeing persecution.

phree
06-06-2008, 05:44 AM
I love Dr. Know.

SnappleLlama
06-06-2008, 06:07 AM
I watched this when I got home from work yesterday. Pure awesomeness.

acptulsa
06-06-2008, 06:18 AM
AL-ULAYYN: “I would prefer if it didn’t happen, because it led to the destruction of the country. The U.S. got rid of one person. It put in hundreds of persons that are worse than Saddam Hussein."

How to make friends and influence people on the world stage...

torchbearer
06-06-2008, 08:54 AM
AL-ULAYYN: “I would prefer if it didn’t happen, because it led to the destruction of the country. The U.S. got rid of one person. It put in hundreds of persons that are worse than Saddam Hussein."

How to make friends and influence people on the world stage...

ftw.

leipo
06-06-2008, 09:25 AM
"If they ask why we died, tell them because our fathers lied"

Carole
06-06-2008, 03:33 PM
I tried these two:

Ron Paul Opening Statement to Iraq Lawmakers (1/2)
~~~~~~
Ron Paul Questions Iraq Lawmakers (2/2)

Ron Paul asks excellent questions.

Carole
06-06-2008, 03:35 PM
You are kidding!! Evidently that commenter did not understand what Dr. Paul was trying to do with his questions. :)

CurtisLow
06-06-2008, 03:37 PM
Did the video work correctly before? Why is it all f'd up?

It's been googled with.... :mad:

Perry
06-06-2008, 04:04 PM
I tried these two:

Ron Paul Opening Statement to Iraq Lawmakers (1/2)
~~~~~~
Ron Paul Questions Iraq Lawmakers (2/2)

Ron Paul asks excellent questions.

That was great! I think Paul broke through to the guy after the first question. He seemed to have realized there was something different about Pauls questioning.

thechitowncubs
06-08-2008, 06:58 PM
I have finally produced something worthwhile for the Ron Paul online spammers to entertain themselves with. What an honor!

If anyone hasn't watched these yet, you have to, it is a great thing to show people who disagree on foreign policy.

ItsTime
06-08-2008, 07:00 PM
it feels good to be right, but its hard to enjoy it when no one is listening and we now hear the "anti war" candidate talking about leveling Iran

Knightskye
06-08-2008, 07:45 PM
22:54 is when Ron's called the "former candidate", and then laughs. :D

29:34 - Walter Jones (R, NC) mentioned Ron Paul as a friend of his, and about him talking about Iraq awhile ago.