PDA

View Full Version : Second Amendment Sisters | Local shooting classes for ladies

FrankRep
06-04-2008, 10:48 AM
Second Amendment Sisters

http://www.2asisters.org

(877) 271-6216
Faith Ferkel's Email: oh_coord@2asisters.org

Local shooting classes for ladies only
The News-Messenger

FREMONT -- As more and more women are becoming aware of the importance of being trained in self defense, many of them are considering becoming licensed to carry a concealed weapon.

Often, the biggest challenge these women face is the fear of attending the mandatory basic pistol class with a room full of men. Certified concealed carry training courses are required by the Sandusky County Sheriff's Department before permits are issued. Faith Ferkel will soon be solving that problem by offering all-ladies pistol training courses.

Ferkel, a nationally certified instructor from Fremont, has heard the same story over and over from women. They're concerned about personal safety and would like to learn to handle a gun, but are intimidated by the thought of learning in front of men. Ferkel's women-only classes will not only create a comfortable environment for the women, but will also give her the freedom to speak about gun issues that are specific to women, such as holster designs that fit the female body.

"Some women are afraid of guns. They're open to them, but they're afraid of them," she said. "We can go as slow as we need to. I want to provide a safe, non-threatening environment where they're going to learn."

Ferkel has also heard concerns from women who are hesitant to obtain a concealed carry permit because they are afraid of having their names and addresses made public.

"They're hiding from a stalker or an ex, and they don't want their names published in the paper," she said, adding that there is always the option for anyone to take the basic pistol class without the need to obtain the permit. The gun could still be used for home safety purposes. Or these women have the option of taking the "First Steps" pistol course, which she says is "only three hours and very inexpensive."

Ferkel will also offer coed classes. "My focus is on women, but I already have a dozen men who want to take the class from me."

Ferkel is nationally certified to teach classes in basic pistol, home firearms safety and personal protection in the home.

While firearm safety is an important issue to her personally, she recognizes that many people would like to learn how to be safe without the use of a gun.

"A woman should be able to decide how she wants to defend herself. If she chooses to use a gun, that's fine. If not, that's fine, too," she said.

In response to this need, Ferkel teaches Refuse to be a Victim seminars.

"I briefly mention that (firearm safety) is an option, but my main focus is teaching all the things you can do to make yourself, your home, and your car safer," she said.

In the two-hour course, she teaches how to avoid being an easy target, and how to create a safe environment for yourself and your family. "It's really good for women, the handicapped, senior citizens, people who live alone, and students on college campuses," she said. The seminar can be presented to public or private groups.

Ferkel has a 2003 bachelor's degree from Heidelberg College, with a double major in English and music.

She recently completed prerequisite nursing courses and is on the waiting list for five area nursing schools. For the past nine years she has been teaching piano to students who range in age from the very young to senior citizens. She also volunteers as a certified EMT with the Green Springs EMS.

Last year, she moved in with her ailing grandparents to become their full-time caretaker. Being trained in firearms safety, she said, "makes me feel better about caring for them."

Ferkel's strong belief in personal protection encouraged her to become the Ohio Coordinator for the Second Amendment Sisters, a women's advocacy group whose motto is, "Self defense is a basic human right."

Her focus for local meetings will be mostly social. They will be an opportunity for local female shooters to gather to improve their shooting skills in a comfortable environment and meet like-minded women. Future plans include a possible "Shoot and Shop," in which ladies can meet at a shooting range for practice and then head out together for dinner and some shopping.

Anyone interested can sign up now for the basic pistol classes which will begin in August. Some of the classes will be co-taught with Ferkel's mother, Joy Ferkel, an adjunct instructor of English and Communications at Terra Community College.

Classes will cost $100 and include lunch. Discounts will be available to SAS members. For information on joining or scheduling classes, call (419) 765-0284.

"I want to bring more women into the discipline of firearms, because it benefits them most. They're most likely to be targeted for violence and crime," said Ferkel. "If you choose a gun, a gun is a great equalizer to your attacker."

SOURCE:
http://www.thenews-messenger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080603/NEWS01/806030311/1002

maeqFREEDOMfree
06-04-2008, 11:27 AM
this is awesome! thanks for the post! **prints copy for his girl friend**