PDA

View Full Version : Just had a 4-hour conversation with my ex....

malkusm
06-03-2008, 11:14 PM
....about Ron Paul!

Haha, ok, the whole 4 hours wasn't devoted to Ron Paul, but maybe 90 minutes of it was, which is substantial.

She worries, for one, that without some forms of government welfare that the communities wouldn't effectively help everyone. On this, basically I told her that for one, it would be a gradual reduction...for instance Social Security would still be there for those who relied on it, but would be optional for us younger folks. I also told her she doesn't have enough faith in people, because she's been preconditioned to think that way, to think that (in RP's words) "a few scribbles on a tax form" will take care of everything.

She completely disagrees on abortion, I stressed that it's not something I cared about, read an excerpt out of the book on where he stands on the issue....one of her main contentions was "The fetus is a drain on the mother and isn't capable of feeling before 3 months so we should have no qualms about killing it" - my response, playing devil's advocate, was "An 80-year old in a coma is a drain on society and isn't capable of feeling, so we should have no qualms about killing it." She said it was different, the fetus wasn't really a life etc...made her think a bit though.

I really did some good things and opened some eyes on the problems with taxation for every little new program in the federal gov't...a dollar here, a dollar there, all of the sudden there goes $20,000...for example I said, "What if you think funding the arts is the most important thing for your kids, and I think funding a honey farm in Vermont is more important? We can't tax everyone for everything...rather you can donate your money to the arts and I can donate to the Honey Farm Assc. of America" <<<not the example I used, real example was probably better

All in all I think it was a good conversation....she didn't agree immediately, but few people do. I got good points across and told her to think about it and research it some....she's overall apathetic about government, those are the easiest eyes to open I find.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

asgardshill
06-03-2008, 11:17 PM
I'm impressed that you were able to remain in the same room as your ex for that long. My ex and I communicate only by written note (rubber-banded to bricks, true).

Fields
06-04-2008, 12:06 AM
I'm impressed that you were able to remain in the same room as your ex for that long. My ex and I communicate only by written note (rubber-banded to bricks, true).

Same here about the ex. :p

Paulitical Correctness
06-04-2008, 12:29 AM
Somewhat off topic, but...

I was raised on the philosophy that religion and politics shouldn't really be discussed because they're "personal beliefs" and cause argument rather than discussion. Indeed I have found this to be true more often than not, but since joining this "movement"...my tolerance and patience for other peoples' beliefs, namely politics, has grown incredibly thin.

I'm respectful of religious differences and realize that diversity makes the world go 'round, but good gracious my blood boils at the drop of a hat when people start talkin' politics (ignorantly).

Anyway, to the point...regardless of knowing how terrible it is to be like this, I fear I'll be single forever unless destiny brings a Ron Paul gal my way. Because, as it stands, my left hand and I get along much better than a HilbamaCain supporter would. :mad:

yaz
06-04-2008, 12:49 AM
Somewhat off topic, but...

I was raised on the philosophy that religion and politics shouldn't really be discussed because they're "personal beliefs" and cause argument rather than discussion. Indeed I have found this to be true more often than not, but since joining this "movement"...my tolerance and patience for other peoples' beliefs, namely politics, has grown incredibly thin.

I'm respectful of religious differences and realize that diversity makes the world go 'round, but good gracious my blood boils at the drop of a hat when people start talkin' politics (ignorantly).

Anyway, to the point...regardless of knowing how terrible it is to be like this, I fear I'll be single forever unless destiny brings a Ron Paul gal my way. Because, as it stands, my left hand and I get along much better than a HilbamaCain supporter would. :mad:

That was slightly disturbing. A lot of people are open minded even if they have a solid belief. Getting people to listen and convincing them of your point is an art. Never get mad unless it's on purpose.

Paulitical Correctness
06-04-2008, 12:53 AM
That was slightly disturbing. A lot of people are open minded even if they have a solid belief. Getting people to listen and convincing them of your point is an art. Never get mad unless it's on purpose.

I'm not entirely serious, but yeah... I don't have much patience when people won't be moved on something like voting McCain because he was tortured as a POW. In what way is that a credential? Frustration would be a more accurate description. Do not fret, I know how to keep my cool. :D

newyearsrevolution08
06-04-2008, 12:55 AM

Every X I know wants me dead lol, I never knew a relationship whether mine or anyone around me that ever ended on talking terms.

I really would be scared to be in the same room with ANY of my ex'es lol

Conza88
06-04-2008, 01:33 AM
Hahah.. well in regards to: Paulitical Correctness's post.. I blow up often... in the face of what I perceive to be ignorance. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it. Hahhah anyway, most people here can probably attest to that.

I think my problem is I care too much.? One of the hardest things to do; to become free - I've read "How I found Freedom in an Unfree world" - by Harry Browne (GREAT book). Anyway; one of the hardest things to do he states; is to stop trying to convert other people.. (not exactly worded like that) but in essence, stop getting swept up, emotional or mad if people don't see things the same way you do.. I REALLY, need to work on that. LoL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB6uQcGo60I&NR=1

Danke
06-04-2008, 05:41 AM
Hahah.. well in regards to: Paulitical Correctness's post.. I blow up often... in the face of what I perceive to be ignorance. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it. Hahhah anyway, most people here can probably attest to that.

I think my problem is I care too much.? One of the hardest things to do; to become free - I've read "How I found Freedom in an Unfree world" - by Harry Browne (GREAT book). Anyway; one of the hardest things to do he states; is to stop trying to convert other people.. (not exactly worded like that) but in essence, stop getting swept up, emotional or mad if people don't see things the same way you do.. I REALLY, need to work on that. LoL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB6uQcGo60I&NR=1

He makes good points, but I don't think Ron Paul promises us freedom. That's why they call him "Dr. No."

The problem is if no one fights, there will eventually be no places to run to.

I like your comments:

Ron Paul is a statesman, not a politician..
If anyone doesn't think he has integrity, principles and an unflinching respect for the truth.. if you think he'd go back on his word - go back on 30yrs of voting for the Constitution, you're delusional. :D

Conza88
06-04-2008, 06:39 AM
He makes good points, but I don't think Ron Paul promises us freedom. That's why they call him "Dr. No."

The problem is if no one fights, there will eventually be no places to run to.

I like your comments:

Ah good point. :) True, never give in.

peters
06-04-2008, 09:11 AM
One note on the abortion topic:

You could also point out that RP wants to return the issue to the states where it belongs. If the question stays on the federal level, no matter what is the personal opinion of any given person is, they can't prevent that somebody will restrict or allow abortions in a way that will make them unhappy. In the long term, as long as The Issue is decided for the whole country, everybody loses. (Except maybe for the politicians and lobbyists that will be sent to them to argue about this or that measure, and supporting their chosen for hard cash.)

As long as somebody far away can redefine your life against your beliefs, you are not likely to find peace with the opposing fraction, and may lose sight of other, more important problems. Abortion is only such a huge issue because a single decision can affect so many people's beliefs at once.