PDA

View Full Version : The Ignorant American Voter

yongrel
06-03-2008, 08:00 PM
The Ignorant American Voter
Historian Rick Shenkman laments the breed in his new book, "Just How Stupid Are We?"
By Bret Schulte
Posted June 3, 2008
http://www.usnews.com/articles/news/national/2008/06/03/the-ignorant-american-voter.html?PageNr=1

The long Iraq war. The bungled Hurricane Katrina response. The credit crunch. A quick look at the newspapers will give many voters reason to doubt the wisdom of America's political leaders. Unfortunately, Americans are doing little to educate themselves about their leaders and their policies, says bestselling author and George Mason University historian Rick Shenkman in his new book Just How Stupid Are We? Facing the Truth About the American Voter. Shenkman cites some damning facts to make his case that Americans are ill-prepared to guide the world's most powerful democracy. Only 2 of 5 voters can name the three branches of the federal government. And 49 percent of Americans think the president has the authority to suspend the Constitution. But, for Shenkman, the severity of the problem snapped into focus after Sept. 11, 2001, when polls showed that a large number of Americans knew little about the attacks and the Iraq war that followed. He blames some of the public's misunderstanding on the White House message machine, but he argues that Americans did little to seek the truth. "As became irrefutably clear in scientific polls undertaken after 9/11...millions of Americans simply cannot fathom the twists and turns that complicated debates take," Shenkman writes. Shenkman spoke to U.S. News about the competence of the American voter.

Excerpts:
What made you first ask the question, "Just how stupid are we?"
There's been no issue more important in the last generation than 9/11 and the Iraq war, and Americans didn't understand basic facts about it. I found that very disturbing, and I wanted to explain how to account for that and then how to have an intelligent conversation about this. It's a very sensitive subject. I want us to be able to sit down, calmly review the evidence, and one, like alcoholics, admit we have a problem; and, two, try to figure out how we remedy that problem.

What evidence most concerned you?
Even after the 9/11 Commission, a majority of Americans believed there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq even after the Commission said there weren't. Only a third of Americans understood that much of the rest of the world opposed our invasion. Another third thought the rest of the world was cheering our invasion, and a third thought the rest of the world was neutral. If you're going to get that much wrong about the most important issue facing us, it's hard to have much confidence in our democracy.

Widely disparaging the American voter as stupid must have made you a bit nervous.
Obviously, the title is provocative. We went with it because we want to draw attention to the issue. I think people understand our politics have gotten pretty dopey; and those people interested in learning why—I hope they pick up this book and see how the history of the last half century has brought us to this point. I see a paradox and an irony. At the same time America has become much more democratic—between the use of polls, referendums, and initiatives, the Voting Rights Act of the 1960—people have become less capable of exercising their democratic responsibilities.

How do you account for that?
Americans are getting what little information they have about the candidates from 30-second commercials, and that's insufficient as a basis for deciding how you're going to vote and what you think about our politics. In the past, people got most of their information from newspapers—that was a much better source. And when they were members of large mass groups like political parties or labor unions where their party bosses or labor bosses helped guide their thinking about politics, they had a better grasp of who at least was going to butter their bread better. Today people are really on their own, and the book tries to demonstrate that people can't handle their responsibilities as well as they ought to. In a competitive capitalistic society like ours, where there is a great emphasis on entertainment, people are not inclined to sit down and study a newspaper and figure out what's actually going on in politics. That leads to very superficial politics.

The voter you describe, supportive of the war and the Bush administration, sounds like a conservative. How do you defend this book as anything more than a liberal screed?
I know this plays into a narrative of contemporary conservatives where liberals are finding fault with working class Americans, but I hope I provide enough context in the book that people see this is not a liberal's manifesto. This is an American's manifesto about something that is really wrong with the country. One thing I hope to do is remind conservatives of their own history. It used to be you could always count on conservatives to raise questions about the people. But one reason Ronald Reagan won is that conservatives started celebrating the common man just like liberals always did. So now you have two main ideological groups in the country saying the voice of the people is the voice of God. As I say in the book, we're all populists now. That's fine, but the voice of the people often isn't the voice of God. The people make mistakes. And if you don't have conservatives pointing that out, then the system is out of whack. Democracy depends on having a sustained conversation about our weaknesses as well as our strengths.

Rather than being stupid, could Americans just be too trusting of their leaders?
It's very curious. Before this last half-century, Americans were very trusting of their leaders. But that all changed after Vietnam, Watergate, and Iran-contra. I don't think you can have a democracy without people trusting their government, but if the last half century has shown anything, it's that healthy skepticism about our leaders is probably warranted, if not a wholehearted cynicism. And I certainly wouldn't want to embrace a wholehearted cynicism. That's too grim a reading of the lessons of the last half century. But at the same time, they need to be skeptical. What I argue in the book is we have to reform ourselves. We can't just say to leaders, "You have to be better leaders," or to the media, "Do your job better." If this is going to be a democracy, we have to take responsibility as voters.

Is there any evidence that voters in other countries are smarter or more responsible voters?
I'm not an expert on other countries. My study of the last 30 years is focused on the United States. Our democracy is so different for so many reasons. We don't have tribal ancestry that unites us. What unites us are our ideas, and that creates a far different set of challenges for our democracy than for another democracy in the rest of the world. What I try to do is talk about comparing Americans today with Americans of the past and talking about our own history.

What can be done to un-dumb the American voter?
My point is not that we need to go back to a system where party or labor bosses were in charge of the system. We have a vibrant democracy today, and that's a good thing, but we need to simply acknowledge that the ordinary voter is not as smart as they should be. They are susceptible to manipulation and being conned, and once we admit that, we have to figure out how we can have a country of smarter voters. That's why I end the book on an optimistic note, because I think we can get there. My No. 1 suggestion that is easily implemented is to ask every college student their freshman year to take a current events quiz weekly. I think that would have an enormous effect on the country.

I know this isn't grassroots, but I thought this belonged in a higher traffic area of RPF.

Very interesting stuff. I'll probably check his book out at the library.

James Madison
06-03-2008, 08:05 PM
We have a vibrant democracy today.

Here is precisely the problem.

Fields
06-03-2008, 09:00 PM
bump

yongrel
06-04-2008, 06:32 AM
bump

Anti Federalist
06-04-2008, 07:14 AM
From the article:

Before this last half-century, Americans were very trusting of their leaders. But that all changed after Vietnam, Watergate, and Iran-contra. I don't think you can have a democracy without people trusting their government, but if the last half century has shown anything, it's that healthy skepticism about our leaders is probably warranted, if not a wholehearted cynicism. And I certainly wouldn't want to embrace a wholehearted cynicism. That's too grim a reading of the lessons of the last half century. But at the same time, they need to be skeptical. What I argue in the book is we have to reform ourselves. We can't just say to leaders, "You have to be better leaders," or to the media, "Do your job better." If this is going to be a democracy, we have to take responsibility as voters.

There is so much wrong with that, I don't know where to begin.

Leaders? I wouldn't trust this swaggering bunch of cum drunk sluts festooning the shores of the Potomac with the task of leading themselves to their own arses with flashlights.

It would be a cold frippin' day in hell before I ever looked to a politician for "leadership".

That's the beauty of Ron Paul, he is one of the few, if not the only one, in a high level of government, that not only comes out and says, "I don't have the authority to 'lead' you anywhere and wouldn't know how to or want to, even if I did" but means it as well.

"Embrace wholehearted cynicism?"??!!

I'm wayyyyy beyond being cynical, bub.

Anti Federalist
06-04-2008, 07:21 AM
My above comments notwithstanding, he does have a general point about Boobus Americanus.

The lack of general knowledge about really critical things in history, science, government, technology and economics is staggering.

I'm finding it difficult to even communicate with people anymore.

Is my hearing going bad, am I turning into a misanthropic curmudgeon or are people's speech patterns devolving into nothing more than an atonal slew of guttural grunts?

amy31416
06-04-2008, 07:24 AM
Is my hearing going bad, am I turning into a misanthropic curmudgeon or are people's speech patterns devolving into nothing more than an atonal slew of guttural grunts?

1. Your hearing is probably fine, can't vouch for that though.
2. Probably. I hope so. Curmudgeons rock.
3. Definitely.

Truth Warrior
06-04-2008, 07:24 AM
It goes WAAAAAAY beyond "ignorant". :rolleyes:

Anti Federalist
06-04-2008, 07:32 AM
1. Your hearing is probably fine, can't vouch for that though.
2. Probably. I hope so. Curmudgeons rock.
3. Definitely.

It's tested on a regular basis as part of my work requirements.

I don't want to get too crusty.:D

Thank God, I thought I was losing my mind.

I fly on a regular basis (ugh), also as part of my work, and I've been noticing that with people on the cel phones. I first thought, "welll they are being purposely evasive so people don't listen in" but I'm noticing it more with face to face conversations as well.

Slurred, lazy speech patterns coupled with a third grade vocabulary.

EDIT: I retract that. A parakeet has a better vocabulary.

amy31416
06-04-2008, 07:51 AM
I fly on a regular basis (ugh), also as part of my work, and I've been noticing that with people on the cel phones. I first thought, "welll they are being purposely evasive so people don't listen in" but I'm noticing it more with face to face conversations as well.

Slurred, lazy speech patterns coupled with a third grade vocabulary.

EDIT: I retract that. A parakeet has a better vocabulary.

I was in a deli the other day, got a phone call on the cell, took it because it wasn't my turn in line yet and was rather amazed at two things:

1. The caller didn't seem to understand why I had to get off the phone to place my order (you can stay on, it's a cell!)

2. The cashier thanked me several times for doing so because most people won't put down the cell.

It's just basic manners for god's sake. I shouldn't be thanked, it should be expected!

Anyways, I'll be interested (and likely horrified) to see what effect text messaging has on writing skills. The internet has already skewed things.

Anti Federalist
06-04-2008, 08:03 AM
I was in a deli the other day, got a phone call on the cell, took it because it wasn't my turn in line yet and was rather amazed at two things:

1. The caller didn't seem to understand why I had to get off the phone to place my order (you can stay on, it's a cell!)

2. The cashier thanked me several times for doing so because most people won't put down the cell.

It's just basic manners for god's sake. I shouldn't be thanked, it should be expected!

Anyways, I'll be interested (and likely horrified) to see what effect text messaging has on writing skills. The internet has already skewed things.

i doant thnk txt mssging wll hve any negtiv effekz of wrting.

Manners?

"What's that?" says Boobus.

Flying has become nothing more than riding a bus with wings.

Now, I'm no fashion plate, but at least I fly with long pants and a sleeved shirt. and boots. (ugh, nothing looks worse on a man than flip flops or jerusalem cruisers) Most of these people I see around airports look like they just rolled out of bed, or a homeless shelter.

Mopsus
06-04-2008, 09:05 AM
It is not the ignorance of the American voter, but the willful ignorance of the voters that upsets me the most.

The vast majority of Americans would rather watch American Idol or Survivor, than coverage that we bombed Iran. It hurts the public’s brain to think. It depresses them to realize how low we have sunk and how poorly we are situated financially. So, they bury their heads in the sand, plug their ears and only unplug them for a few short moments to listen to the Sirens’ song of Simon Cowells’ melodious puppets.

In their eyes it’s easier to hope that it gets better and someone “will fix it.”

raystone
06-04-2008, 09:12 AM
My No. 1 suggestion that is easily implemented is to ask every college student their freshman year to take a current events quiz weekly. I think that would have an enormous effect on the country.

How can we make this happen ?