PDA

View Full Version : I can't understand this

dude58677
06-03-2008, 07:06 PM
Why do we do so well in congressional campaigns but do so poorly in Senatorial and Presidential campaigns?

We win 6 out of 8 district congressional primaries in Maryland. Win a landslide in North Carolina, and 10 elected terms in Texas.

When it comes to Presidential campaigns, we have no priamry wins in any State and we finish last in Senate campaigns depsite having high expectations.

What needs fixed and how do we do it?

Kludge
06-03-2008, 07:15 PM
We do even better in local politics. Hell - Libertarians have taken an alarming number of local seats this year.

We have a movement. As it grows, we'll start taking more prominent offices in government. Until then, we must continue focusing on changing peoples' ideologies so that they'll adhere to our movement instead of the conversion-by-fear process used by certain... people.

LibertyIn08
06-03-2008, 07:17 PM
By the way, many of our congressional victories came in heavily Democratic areas, meaning the primaries are naturally less competitive.

BJ Lawson faces a huge uphill battle.

Sadly, the netroots did not give McKinley the full support they should have, and I fear his chances of winning are much smaller due to the lack of financial support. Why we would not support a primary in a Republican leaning district is beyond me.

NoMoreApathy
06-03-2008, 07:17 PM
It looks like Murray's probably going to finish somewhere around the amount of votes Ron got in NJ on Super Tuesday, which is around 27,000.

The problem is that the others just had better turn-out.

Kludge
06-03-2008, 07:18 PM
The problem is that the others just had better turn-out.

Well damn, that's a pretty big problem.

Cowlesy
06-03-2008, 07:19 PM
(Puts on Pink Floyd's "Money")

(I know Ron had money, but you need a hell of a lot more to plaster a true message out, and better top-level management would help)

dannno
06-03-2008, 07:25 PM
..... dare I say Diebold??

crazyfingers
06-03-2008, 07:26 PM
Well, those primary wins have been in largely democratic districts, so they weren't as heavily contested as they might have been. I'm not saying they're not victories but it should be put into perspective. Of course, considering the Ron Paul message deviates greatly from the typical Neocon GOP line, we may be in for an upset or two come November if our candidates can draw in enough disaffected Democrats and independents.

I think we can win seats at every level of government, including the Senate and the White House. Murray's numbers are disappointing but I don't think New Jersey is even close to ready for a libertarian-leaning senator. I think our best hope would be in a state like Alaska, Montana or New Hampshire. Dr. Paul has a radical message, but IMO, he largely failed to present a vision of how he was going to make those policies a reality. A libertarian-leaning Republican can win on the national stage, just as long as he or she keeps the focus on pragmatic, incremental solutions (while still adhering to certain principles).

satchelmcqueen
06-03-2008, 07:52 PM

yes you may.

AJ Antimony
06-03-2008, 08:07 PM
It's name recognition. If you had George Clooney or something running for President as a Libertarian, things would be different.

Just watch out for Jesse Ventura if he enters the Senate race in Minnesota as an Independent. He's libertarian, and he will definitely put up a fight for that Senate seat.

ronpaul.republican
06-03-2008, 08:11 PM
(I know Ron had money, but you need a hell of a lot more to plaster a true message out, and better top-level management would help)

You mean like McCain's campaign had?

MarcMadness
06-03-2008, 08:14 PM
I love Jesse and would vote for him in any election I had the chance to. But he is not libertarian. Although practically speaking he's much closer to it than either of the two he'd be running against, obviously.

nc4rp
06-03-2008, 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannno http://www.ronpaulforums.com/gfx_RedWhiteBlue/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=1493702#post1493702)

yes you may.
__________________________________________________ ________________________________
Ron Paul..."Americas Grandpaw" We love you Ron!

ill see your Diebold and raise you a ES&S, a Butch & Hoppy, and a Secretary of State in the pocket.

Zera
06-03-2008, 09:11 PM

No, because they mock us when it works out in our favor.