PDA

View Full Version : We Need Someone Who can Sing the National Anthem at the March!

Deborah K
06-03-2008, 04:36 PM
Preferably a cappella. Anyone?

As per request - the date is Saturday, July 12th, 2008. The time will probably be around high noon or thereabouts. The locaton is the West side of Capitol Hill in D.C.

ronpaulhawaii
06-03-2008, 04:40 PM
Hhhmmmm....

amy31416
06-03-2008, 04:42 PM
Pick me if you want a lame comedy act!

Deborah K
06-03-2008, 05:05 PM
Pick me if you want a lame comedy act!

LOL

HOLLYWOOD
06-03-2008, 05:52 PM
Get Rosanne Barr! ;>)

Deborah K
06-03-2008, 05:59 PM
LOL!

Seriously! We need a singer for this.

SnappleLlama
06-03-2008, 06:02 PM
How about local talent in the D.C. area? I'm sure there are some high school or college students who would be interested!

UnReconstructed
06-03-2008, 06:24 PM
You need someone to sing Dixie?

LittleCrittersWorld
06-03-2008, 06:32 PM
Do you want a Single person singing?

liberteebell
06-03-2008, 06:46 PM
My 2 high school daughters can sing well.

Deborah K
06-03-2008, 06:55 PM
My 2 high school daughters can sing well.

Are you in the area, or planning to attend? Can you send me a utube of them?

Tarzan
06-03-2008, 07:57 PM
There are several Universities in DC with Music Programs and Departments... Howard, The Catholic University, University of Maryland (I would not bother with Galludet, GW, Trinity, American or Georgetown). They have summer programs and you could find an individual or small chorus. Some have summer band programs as well. You also have the Marine Band (they work all year and are pretty good) as well as the Army chorus and band. DC also has the children's opera theatre and most of these organizations have members (or students) who would volunteer their services.

A few quick calls and you should be able to find what you need.

Oh... the congressional staffers also have a chorus

The Catholic University: (202) 319-5305
Howard University: (202) 806-2763
University of Maryland: (301) 314-7064
Marine Corp Band (booking): (703) 614-1405
Army Chorus and Band: (703) 696-3718
The Congressional Chorus: http://www.congressionalchorus.org/

Kludge
06-03-2008, 07:58 PM
I love the idea of an armed service's chorus singing at the march...

ronpaulhawaii
06-03-2008, 08:09 PM
There are several Universities in DC with Music Programs and Departments... Howard, The Catholic University, University of Maryland (I would not bother with Galludet, GW, Trinity, American or Georgetown). They have summer programs and you could find an individual or small chorus. Some have summer band programs as well. You also have the Marine Band (they work all year and are pretty good) as well as the Army chorus and band. DC also has the children's opera theatre and most of these organizations have members (or students) who would volunteer their services.

+1

I love the idea of an armed service's chorus singing at the march...

:)

Susan Wolfe
06-03-2008, 08:35 PM
Not tooting my own horn here, but I have sang and played guitar since I was nine years old...never mind how many years ago that was...
but I also have sung the National Anthem on television before the Wichita Thunder hockey games, and also on national television before the Green Bay games hockey games.

I am able, and I would be willing. I have some mp3's of my band, and me singing, if you are interested. Let me know.

IPSecure
06-03-2008, 08:36 PM
Wish we could get Miller Anderson... (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5731646968408286198)

History

* Savoy Brown
* Blood Sweat & Tears
* T-Rex
* Donovan
* Mountain
* Deep Purple
* The Spencer Davis Group

http://www.milleranderson.co.uk/

Deborah K
06-03-2008, 08:45 PM

The Catholic University: (202) 319-5305
Howard University: (202) 806-2763
University of Maryland: (301) 314-7064
Marine Corp Band (booking): (703) 614-1405
Army Chorus and Band: (703) 696-3718
The Congressional Chorus: http://www.congressionalchorus.org/

Awesome! Thank you!

Deborah K
06-03-2008, 08:45 PM
Not tooting my own horn here, but I have sang and played guitar since I was nine years old...never mind how many years ago that was...
but I also have sung the National Anthem on television before the Wichita Thunder hockey games, and also on national television before the Green Bay games hockey games.

I am able, and I would be willing. I have some mp3's of my band, and me singing, if you are interested. Let me know.

Send em to me, Susan. :)

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
06-03-2008, 09:45 PM
Liberty University has a singing group called "the voices of liberty". They sang at the march for life this past January in Washington. Ron Paul spoke at this event and I am sure he left an impression on these folks and they are relatively close to the area and from my understanding, are always looking for places to perform outside of the campus. You can find youtube videos from that event and some of them show the group performing (sorry I do not have links).

If they do not work out than may I suggest Aimee Allen. She has a very distinct voice and almost everyone in this movement knows who she is. I would also suggest Marc Scibillia since he is going to be there already.

amy31416
06-03-2008, 09:50 PM
(I would not bother with Galludet,

L-O-L

TheTyke
06-03-2008, 10:12 PM
See what you think of this version from the rally in Louisville KY! I thought they were awesome :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6KSXuQEi58

SweetMona
06-04-2008, 09:27 AM
(I would not bother with Galludet, GW, Trinity, American or Georgetown).

HA! Gallaudet University is my alma mater! To set records straight, they do not have any vocal singers because it is DEAF University....

They can sing in American Sign Language only, I'm lil embarrassed to say this. I was one of 6 students who sang and signed National Anthem at RedSkins Football Game (1992). Great experience tho!

liberteebell
06-05-2008, 04:43 AM
Are you in the area, or planning to attend? Can you send me a utube of them?

I'm not far from DC and I'm planning to attend. Don't currently have a youtube but can make one.

However, my vote goes for the military band and/or chorus doing the National Anthem. How cool would that be!? :cool:

asgardshill
06-05-2008, 05:15 AM
I'd do it, but I want to help attract support for Ron Paul, not repel it. And the resulting barrage of flying rotten produce the second I opened my mouth would not help that aim.

countrykidz4freedom
06-05-2008, 07:07 AM
See what you think of this version from the rally in Louisville KY! I thought they were awesome http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6KSXuQEi58

WOW, I just listened to these young folk-They are fantastic!!! It is not easy to sing the national anthem A Capella in perfect harmony they way they did it-it brought tears to my eyes just listening, its so beautiful!!! They sing it with the reverence and sincerity this song deserves, and every note is perfect! My siblings and I used to get together and sing A Capella, and I can tell you firsthand, this is a challenging song to sing in harmony, because of the wide range of the notes, but these guys have it perfected. I have never heard them prior to this, but please choose them-they will inspire the hearts and minds and the way they sing it, will make others really think about the shape our country is in today. :)

acptulsa
06-05-2008, 07:17 AM
I'd do it, but I want to help attract support for Ron Paul, not repel it. And the resulting barrage of flying rotten produce the second I opened my mouth would not help that aim.

My mother has a great ear and a beautiful voice. My father had a tin ear. So, of course I inherited from him... :(

HippyChimp
06-28-2008, 08:14 AM
late bump, but have singers been settled on yet? If not I know a barbershop quartet with a couple R3volutionaries in it that might be interested...

ronpaulhawaii
06-28-2008, 08:24 AM
See what you think of this version from the rally in Louisville KY! I thought they were awesome :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6KSXuQEi58

Wow! hadn't seen that yet. Thanks for posting.

late bump, but have singers been settled on yet? If not I know a barbershop quartet with a couple R3volutionaries in it that might be interested...

Yes, I am curious, also...

tonesforjonesbones
06-28-2008, 08:25 AM
I sang the National Anthem for the SAn Antonio Spurs game. What's the pay? is Travel included? TONES :)

tonesforjonesbones
06-28-2008, 08:28 AM
I have a suggestion. You could try to get one of the military bands tasked to play at the march. I was in the Army Band for 7 years..and we played for all sorts of events. You have some right around the area. They are fantastic and they do it for free.(well for tax dollars lol) but they typically have wonderful vocalists and they could open up the event..before the speakers...fabulous patriotic music. If you are interested better do it now...it would be easy enough for them to get there if they aren't out of town. You have to call the band hall and talk to the NCO in charge of tasking and put in a request. They might like to do it. They also have rock bands, jazz ensembles etc. I think that would be a great way to start the entertainment off. TONES

tonesforjonesbones
06-28-2008, 08:38 AM
http://bands.army.mil/music/default.asp

http://www.navyband.navy.mil/

http://www.marineband.usmc.mil/ "The Presidents Own"

http://www.uscg.mil/band/cgbandbrassquintet.htm

tonesforjonesbones
06-28-2008, 08:40 AM
The Army Bands Jazz Ambassadors

http://www.army.mil/fieldband/pages/ensembles/ja.html

UnReconstructed
06-28-2008, 09:21 AM
You were in the Army band? I went to PLDC with a cat that was in the Army band... at FT Campbell.

Acala
06-29-2008, 10:05 AM
Friends, Brothers, Sisters, Patriots, Countrymen;

I have something to say and I want you to hear me out. Our National Anthem SUCKS!!!! There, I said it. It SUCKS!!!!!

It has got to be the worst National Anthem on the planet. A normal adult man can only sing the damn thing if he has recently been kicked in the groin by a farm animal. What kind of national anthem incorporates notes that are so high that they can only be heard by dogs? But its legendary unsingability is just the beginning.

The thing has been cursed from its origins. First of all, it was written by a LAWYER!!! How appropriate is that? The national anthems of most countries were written by poets or musicians. But not us. Ours was written by a lawyer. It originally included footnotes but those were mercifully left out, as were several "whereases" and "hereinafters". Then is was set to the tune of a British drinking song.

It was adopted for official use by none other than Woodrow Wilson, arguably the WORST President in US history. And then it was made the official National Anthem by Herbert Hoover, the harbinger of American fascism.

And listen to the lyrics. It is almost completely devoid of any meaning. It makes a big damn deal about the flag and bravely fighting and all that rot but makes nary a mention of what makes the country worth fighting FOR. LIBERTY, Brothers and Sisters!

For comparison, check out the lyrics of "Hail, Columbia" the National Anthem until the current atrocity was foisted upon the Nation while it was in a weakened state due to Woodrow Wilson's Federal Reserve.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hail,_Columbia

Or check out the lyrics to "America (My Country tis of Thee)", which was something of an unofficial National Anthem during the 19th century.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Country,_'Tis_of_Thee

If we MUST sing the wretched National Anthem, let's at least sing "My Country tis of Thee" as well.

How many reasons are there to hate Woodrow Wilson? I've lost count.

ronpaulhawaii
06-29-2008, 10:15 AM

I have something to say and I want you to hear me out. Our National Anthem SUCKS!!!! There, I said it. It SUCKS!!!!!

For comparison, check out the lyrics of "Hail, Columbia" the National Anthem until the current atrocity was foisted upon the Nation while it was in a weakened state due to Woodrow Wilson's Federal Reserve.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hail,_Columbia

Or check out the lyrics to "America (My Country tis of Thee)", which was something of an unofficial National Anthem during the 19th century.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Country,_'Tis_of_Thee (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Country,_%27Tis_of_Thee)

If we MUST sing the wretched National Anthem, let's at least sing "My Country tis of Thee" as well.

How many reasons are there to hate Woodrow Wilson? I've lost count.

lol - cool post, interesting points. I'd never heard of Hail Columbia before.

New Zealanders always used to tell me how much they hated theirs and admired ours...

I like the idea of adding a verse of MCToT, but wonder how to work it in...

Roxi
06-29-2008, 10:22 AM
I used to sing the national anthem at HS basketball games, I also used to be able to sing really well.... years of destroying my vocal cords have limited my ability on both a scale and volume level, although thats one song i still do pretty well...

BUT i can't go to DC..... :(

anyway looks like you already found your singer right here.....

HELLOOOO she sang at a green bay packers game... i believe she probably qualifies and is VOLUNTEERING

ronpaulhawaii
06-29-2008, 10:24 AM
I used to sing the national anthem at HS basketball games, I also used to be able to sing really well.... years of destroying my vocal cords have limited my ability on both a scale and volume level, although thats one song i still do pretty well...

BUT i can't go to DC..... :(

anyway looks like you already found your singer right here.....

HELLOOOO she sang at a green bay packers game... i believe she probably qualifies and is VOLUNTEERING

OK den... <chuckle>

Sorry, you can't make it :(

Roxi
06-29-2008, 10:28 AM
OK den... <chuckle>

Sorry, you can't make it :(

you couldn't BELIEVE how incredibly sorry I am too :( But Ill see you in St Paul right? :p

ronpaulhawaii
06-29-2008, 10:34 AM
you couldn't BELIEVE how incredibly sorry I am too :( But Ill see you in St Paul right? :p

I can imagine your disappointment :(

I look forward to seeing you in Minne. :D

Oyate
06-29-2008, 12:06 PM
Our National Anthem SUCKS!!!! There, I said it. It SUCKS!!!!!

It has got to be the worst National Anthem on the planet.

ROTFL. Acala, that is one of the funniest and best rants I've seen in a long time.

Tarzan
06-29-2008, 12:15 PM

It has got to be the worst National Anthem on the planet. A normal adult man can only sing the damn thing if he has recently been kicked in the groin by a farm animal. What kind of national anthem incorporates notes that are so high that they can only be heard by dogs? But its legendary unsingability is just the beginning.

As you probably all know our National Anthem was written by Francis Scott Key after he witnessed the British bombardment of Fort McHenry during the War of 1812.

The poem was set to an existing tune called "Anacreon in Heaven"... a traditional British Drinking song... yes, it is ugly and difficult to sing. But, if we do it in the original style the song can sound beautiful and uplifting... at least to the performer.

By "original style" I mean you have to be drunk (ok, REALLY drunk) to perform and enjoy our National Anthem... so, get wasted and let 'er rip... :D

Truth Warrior
06-29-2008, 12:21 PM
No war hymns, please!

How about "America" and or "America the Beautiful" and or "God Bless America" instead? Even "We Shall Overcome" is better.<IMHO>

IPSecure
06-29-2008, 01:25 PM
No War Hymns?

Battle Hymn Of The Republic (http://us.dada.net/audio/7604224/Jim-Nabors-Battle-Hymn-Of-The-Republic/)

When I hear this song, it reminds me of Dr. Paul...

What about adding Jim?

pcosmar
06-29-2008, 02:19 PM
No War Hymns?

Battle Hymn Of The Republic (http://us.dada.net/audio/7604224/Jim-Nabors-Battle-Hymn-Of-The-Republic/)

What about adding Jim?

I can sing it, and I do. But I sing like a frog, and that's probably not what you're looking for. :D
Maybe I'll just blend in with the crowd. ;)

Truth Warrior
06-29-2008, 02:58 PM
No War Hymns?

What about adding Jim?
Hmm, it makes me think of John Brown for some strange reason. :)

tonesforjonesbones
06-29-2008, 07:20 PM
I like the National Anthem. I dislike Battle Hymn of the Republic..makes me think of that polecat Lincoln. TONES

UnReconstructed
06-29-2008, 09:27 PM
Battle Hymn of the Republic is anti-liberty and a slap in the face to every Southerner. Being that DR Paul is a member of the SCV I doubt that he is fond of it either.

Truth Warrior
06-29-2008, 09:33 PM
I like the National Anthem. I dislike Battle Hymn of the Republic..makes me think of that polecat Lincoln. TONES
The National Anthem ( war hymn ) always reminds me of FDR. Not a good reminder, at all, BTW. :p

tonesforjonesbones
06-29-2008, 10:44 PM
what is scv? tones

Tarzan
06-29-2008, 11:01 PM
what is scv?

Son of Confederate Veterans

Kludge
06-29-2008, 11:04 PM
The National Anthem ( war hymn ) always reminds me of FDR. Not a good reminder, at all, BTW. :p

+1.

How about "Eve of Destruction"? Now there's a nifty song..

Acala
06-30-2008, 05:52 AM
How about "People Got To Be Free" by the Rascals?

(Words by Felix Cavaliere and Music by Edward Brigati, Jr.)

All the world over, so easy to see
People everywhere just wanna be free
Listen, please listen, that's the way it should be
Deep in the valley, people got to be free

You should see what a lovely, lovely world this'd be
Everyone learned to live together, ah-hah-unh
Seems to me such an itty bitty thing should be
Why can't you and me learn to love one another?

All the world over, so easy to see
People everywhere just wanna be free
I can't understand it, so simple to me
People everywhere just got to be free

If there's a man who is down and needs a helpin' hand
All it takes is you to understand and to pull him through, ah-hah-unh
Seems to me we got to solve it individually, ah-hah-unh
And I'll do unto you what you do to me

Shout it from the mountain on out to the sea (out to the sea)
No two ways about it, people have to be free
Ask me my opinion, my opinion will be
Nat'ral situation for a man to be free

Git right on board now

[Instrumental Interlude]

Oh, what a feelin's just come over me
Love can move a mountain, make a blind man see
Everybody sing it now come on let's go see
Deep in the valley now, we ought to be free

[Spoken:]
See that train over there?
That's the train of freedom
It's about to 'rrive any minute, now
You know it's been'a long, long overdue
Look out 'cause it's a'comin' right on through

tonesforjonesbones
06-30-2008, 08:24 AM
Did anyone bother to look into the military bands that I posted? Is it only the popular music of the day that should be presented? I find that people can be so narrow artistically..most of what is listed on this thread is garage band stuff and even a mention of hip hop dj's..good grief. TONES